"New Canon" inconsistencies....

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yes, but the moral is that my messages evidently never got through. I eventually broke down and mailed Uncle Mike directly and told him about the mistakes on the pages. THEN he fixed them. :roll:

You might want to be careful, though. I was fairly sure that neither Kevin nor Uncle Mike would send men to break down my door.... :shock:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

SandChigger wrote:Yes, but the moral is that my messages evidently never got through. I eventually broke down and mailed Uncle Mike directly and told him about the mistakes on the pages. THEN he fixed them. :roll:

You might want to be careful, though. I was fairly sure that neither Kevin nor Uncle Mike would send men to break down my door.... :shock:
The guy who threw his shoes at W. Bush almost copied what everybody does to the mexican president . Presidents should loving parents like Duke Leto.
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Just had a thought.... (probably not an original one though :P)

The favourite excuse for inconsistencies between new and original Dune is There are six big Dune books and it is impossible to remember every single word or something along those lines. They're only human and 6 x lots = too many words.

I think we first heard this way back when they had just started. Since then they have written 8 more books, long books.

How many inconstancies are there in the new books - with the new books?

IIRC: Chigger listed one (Armand Ecaz) in his list of Discrepancies between Prequels. For 8 books worth that is quite good - they even have a 10 year "gap" to fix it in Jessica, Irulan or Leto, so it might not even be a discrepancy at all.

So they can remember stuff... just not stuff FH wrote. They can't be that clueless... can they? ... Or could it be that the changes to the canon of FH's originals, were intentional from the start?

Those two robots were definitely intentional - how much else was?
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

They were most definitely intentional.
Any single one of their books is thicker than any Frank wrote, yet Frank's have more elaborate content while theirs is simply the "Huge box, small present" gig.
It's a real bullshit excuse in which, once again, the hacks fail the mark. It's like watching those drug dealers in COPS sweating while making up silly and desperate excuses.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Schu

Post by Schu »

Not really an inconsistency I guess, or a pretty weak one, but I think in House Atreides their version of the Baron mentions his overwhelming disgust for the female form, which seems at odds with how much he wanted a bit of "special baron time" in Alias body, albeit that being while Javid was screwing her.

So not really an inconsistency, but kinda amusing. I of course prefer the real baron who was a hedonist and sampled many pleasures (as Paul ought to know) and who must have let himself be seduced by Tanidia Nerus, and so probably would have loved to have his "special baron time" in a hot Alia's body (and especially with Javid around).

Besides, he's probably fat enough to have had a mangina, and he really wanted the real thing :P
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Schu wrote:Besides, he's probably fat enough to have had a mangina
:shock:

To bravely go... :vomit:
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Schu wrote:Not really an inconsistency I guess, or a pretty weak one, but I think in House Atreides their version of the Baron mentions his overwhelming disgust for the female form, which seems at odds with how much he wanted a bit of "special baron time" in Alias body, albeit that being while Javid was screwing her.

So not really an inconsistency, but kinda amusing. I of course prefer the real baron who was a hedonist and sampled many pleasures (as Paul ought to know) and who must have let himself be seduced by Tanidia Nerus, and so probably would have loved to have his "special baron time" in a hot Alia's body (and especially with Javid around).

Besides, he's probably fat enough to have had a mangina, and he really wanted the real thing :P
Dont forget that he's a gay pedophile and that what he wanted to get pleasure out of being in Alia's body, sure it wasnt just Javid but the baron's homosexual anyway so he gets his pleasure all the same.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Samarkan

Post by Samarkan »

Those two morons are such a disgrace. ><

I'm waiting for all new secret Atreides like Paul's super-secret big brother who died in infancy during the bomb blast that disfigures Duke What's-his-fuck Vernius.

"As he stared out into the arid desert sands, Jacomo Atreides El-Fazim Al-Farouqh Heimdall XXIII, secret Duke of Arakis, leader of all Fremen, and time-clone of Leto Atreides, concentrated on calling the biggest sandworm ever using only the telepathic strength of his mind. The sandworm was the biggest ever -- at least 90 meters! He rode to Sietch Habiqubirbur, secret headquarters of the Time-Fremen; time-travelling Fremen in the employ of the cyborg-Fremen Spacing-Time Guild and the Bene Gesserit from the future (The Futuregesserit). He darkly strode towards the secret cafeteria and ate a sandwich laced with Mega-Ultraspice, in a fit of darkness..."

Frank Herbert forgot to mention Jacomo Atreides in his books but he was definitely planning to because he mentions it in the Secret Notes which Broyon uncovered. Then again, what does Frank Herbert know? His books are only secondary cannon now. Kelvin J. Assholeson and Broyon Horbort said so.
Last edited by Samarkan on 06 Mar 2009 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
Samarkan

Post by Samarkan »

I can't wait for the final book these two squirrel-brained morons are allowed to spew on us before they get shut down for good. It will probably contain some of the lamest and most glaring inconsistencies like "Dune was really Earth!"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Samarkan wrote:It will probably contain some of the lamest and most glaring inconsistencies like "Dune was really Earth!"
I'm pretty sure Kevvie's ultimate wet dream is for Dune to actually be the final Cylon.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Samarkan wrote:I can't wait for the final book these two squirrel-brained morons are allowed to spew on us before they get shut down for good. It will probably contain some of the lamest and most glaring inconsistencies like "Dune was really Earth!"
I don't know if the threads are still up over on Dumb Novels, or if you've seen them, but some of us were seriously wondering about time-traveling no-ships or worse back with the "Dune 7" sequels.

I guess in a way we were lucky with the sea critters. :shock:
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

SandChigger wrote:
Samarkan wrote:I can't wait for the final book these two squirrel-brained morons are allowed to spew on us before they get shut down for good. It will probably contain some of the lamest and most glaring inconsistencies like "Dune was really Earth!"
I don't know if the threads are still up over on Dumb Novels, or if you've seen them, but some of us were seriously wondering about time-traveling no-ships or worse back with the "Dune 7" sequels.

Praise be to Dur that didn't happen!
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Tleszer wrote:
SandChigger wrote:

Praise be to Dur that didn't happen!
Seems to me worse is exactly what we got.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Sure it was bad but wasn't it marginally better than time-traveling? I mean, I like the idea of time-travel but that would be pretty inconsistent with FH's Dune, but then again so are KJA and BH.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
A Thing of Eternity

Tleszer wrote:Sure it was bad but wasn't it marginally better than time-traveling? I mean, I like the idea of time-travel but that would be pretty inconsistent with FH's Dune, but then again so are KJA and BH.
No.
Samarkan

Post by Samarkan »

SandChigger wrote:

Their DOONE fanfic retcons just get worse and worse... It's like watching an especially inept five year old with a set of Crayolas scribbling over a priceless Van Gogh.

The last and only time I was at DN was maybe a year or two ago. My brother had given me both sets of DOONE prequels as a birthday gift (sadly, he didn't include the receipt). In his defense, my brother had never read Dune but he remembered that I had been really obsessed over the series when we were kids so he thought that this would be a great present. WROOOOOOOOOONG!

I had gotten to the part where Duncan Idaho goes to the Ginaz Jedi Academy and one guy was a freaking Mouseketeer.

That wasn't their worst offense but it was the final straw that pushed me over the edge into Apeshit Berzerk Mode. I hunted down their forums in the hope that they would actually read/respond to some of those postings. I forgot exactly what I wrote or even what my screenname was but I guess it was overly critical enough for the mods to delete it within a day or so. I decided to avoid an ulcer and never ever visit DN again.

I was bored last night so I Googled "KJA moron" or something such and I ended up on the Amazon page for Jessica Gone With The Winds From Doone and someone mentioned Jacurutu and I ended up here... AND THESE FORUMS ARE AWESOME!!! :P It's so great to find people who agree on how much Kerian J Herberson truly sucks.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

"Jacurutu, I have found you!"

Post by SandChigger »

:cry:

Sorry to get emotional and all, but I always cry at these Alex Haley/Kunta Kinte moments.

Welcome Home! :)
A Thing of Eternity

Re: "Jacurutu, I have found you!"

Baraka Bryan wrote:
SandChigger wrote::cry:

Sorry to get emotional and all, but I always cry at these Alex Haley/Kunta Kinte moments.

fuck ya! Roots is awesome :P
I just saw Jordy on The Hour a couple days ago talking about roots. Weird.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:

My kids watch him daily on Reading Rainbow.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Omphalos wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:

My kids watch him daily on Reading Rainbow.
I loved that show as a kid.
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

Samarkan wrote:
I had gotten to the part where Duncan Idaho goes to the Ginaz Jedi Academy and one guy was a freaking Mouseketeer.

I forgot all about that. That was a real low light. That series was larded down with Ren Fair all over the place. Not that I am against ren fair, but, I just do not want to see that in Dune.

Which one of them is the ren fair guy anyway? I am thinking its Kevin Jackball Hackerson.
cmsahe

Re: "New Canon" inconsistencies....

Post by cmsahe »

I didn't read The Butlerian Jihad (I do not want to be like those shills on Amazon) but I just want to add that in the Appendix II, page 502 of the paperback edition it is mentioned: Then came the Butlerian Jihad-two generations of chaos. The god of machine-logic was overthrown among the masses and a new concept was raised: "Man may not be replaced."

Kevin: The Butlerian jihad was not a Matrix ot Terminator-like conflict, it was a change of paradigm, from a society dominated by technology and computers (like us today) to a new culture of human development (The schools like the Bene Gesserit, the suk doctors, the Mentats, the guild)

----
cmsahe

Re:

Post by cmsahe »

Yipee then it would mean that the movies Tremor and the sequels are canon, maybe Kevin Bacon was a proto-Kwisatz Haderach! :tissue2:

----
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: "New Canon" inconsistencies....

Post by SandChigger »

cmsahe wrote:it was a change of paradigm, from a society dominated by technology and computers (like us today) to a new culture of human development (The schools like the Bene Gesserit, the suk doctors, the Mentats, the guild)
Oh please, could we give the "Jihad Rah Rah" cheerleading a rest? :roll:

What percentage of the human population at any time ever really belonged to the BG, Mentats, or Guild and actually benefitted from this wondrous "human development"? (I'm not sure why you throw the Suks in there; is there something connecting them to the Jihad? They're a later development, no?) The BG were secretive and acted behind the scenes to achieve their own ends; the Mentats were probably never all that numerous and a person had to have an aptitude and begin training from childhood. And to join the Guild you'd need to have mathematical skills and probably display latent prescient talents.

"The god of machine-logic was overthrown among the masses...." Well, read between the lines and past the bias (Who writes the history books again? ;) ) and, yeah, I'm sure "the masses" gave up their computers and robots and AI and eventually a whole lot of their freedoms. Who wouldn't give up such things when the alternative is death?

Anyway, the BIG PROBLEM with Kevin's (and the other guy's) Legends books is a PROFOUND LACK OF IMAGINATION. That's why the "evil" machine protagonists are all 50s scifi movie regurgitations. (Omnius is just a bigger but much, much stupider version of Colossus from The Forbin Project book/movie. The Titans/Cymeks are all Jans-in-their-pans from any number of B-grade movies.) And he (they?) did NOT HAVE A SINGLE FUCKING IDEA about how to make it a philosophical/religious conflict ... to really depict those "two generations of chaos" Frank alluded to. When it comes down to it, placing the origin of the battle between the "free" humans and Titans+Omnius a thousand years before the start of the first Legends book is just another aspect of his/their cop out on dealing with the real story.

You really should have a look at the Legends books if you can. They're REALLY bad and always help to stoke the hate fires when they start dying down. :lol: