Who We Are and What We Stand For

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Who We Are and What We Stand For

Post by Freakzilla »

That's how I wrote the novel, wanting you to participate with the best of your own imagination. I did not aim for the lowest common denominator and 'write down" to anyone. You and I have a compact and my responsibility is to entertain you as richly as possible, always giving you as much extra as I can. I assume you are intelligent and will enlist your own imagination. You'll see that when you read the Dune excerpt and the other stories in this collection.
~Frank Herbert, Intro to Eye

Looking back on it, I realize I did the right thing instinctively. You don't
write for success. That takes part of your attention away from the writing. If
you're really doing it, that's all you're doing: writing.
There's an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a
bookstore and sets down hard earned money (energy) for your book, you owe that
person some entertainment and as much more as you can give.
That was really my intention all along.

~Frank Herbert, Intro to Heretics of Dune

Who We Are

First, a little about me. I first read Dune at age thirteen in 1984, just before the David Lynch movie hit the big screen, and was immediately hooked. I caught up with the series soon afterwards and read Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune as they were published. Then I read everything else FH wrote that I could find. I even read the entire Dune Encyclopedia complied by Dr. Willis McNelly. I was devastated when I learned of my new favorite author's death. Since then I've read the series roughly once a year,give or take. Years later came the internet and discussion forums. I lurked at Dreamers of Dune for about a year, afraid to expose my ignorance, but after building up the courage to chance participating in the discussion I found that I was gaining credibility in knowledge of the Dune series and became an active member. DoD eventually died and since then I've been a fixture in whatever Dune forum(s) was the most active, sometimes in multiple forums. Sometimes as a member, sometimes as moderator or administrator. Eventually in 1999 I was thrilled to read news that Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson were planning to continue the series. I eagerly bought and read the new Dune books and was sorely disappointed to say the least. I could have tolerated the abysmal writing if the authors had bothered to pretend they understood Frank Herbert's books and remained consistent with his themes and details. I wouldn't be surprised if I found out the new authors haven't even read the originals. When the Herbert estate opened a Dune Novels bulletin board in 2006, I immediately joined and voiced my disdain, for which I was immediately banned. I emailed the administrator, Frank Herbert's grandson Byron Merritt, and upon apologizing for personally insulting the authors and promising to refrain from doing it again was allowed to rejoin the forum. There I proceeded to make 5,691 posts before eventually being banned again and am still, years after being banned, the leading poster there. I wasn't the only one banned for voicing their negative opinions of the new books, not by far. Most of the knowledgeable people I'd come to know in the Dune fan community felt the same way I did and the Dunenovels standard operating procedure for dealing with negative comments is to ban the member. Eventually this lead to only the most mindless discussion there and I saw an opportunity for a new Dune fan forum where members would not be censored. So I started Jacurutu, named after the Cast Out in Children of Dune. This leads to...

What We Stand For

First of all, this is not an anti-KJA/BH forum. This is a FH's Dune fan forum. However, current events in the world of Dune have drawn fire towards the new authors for what many fans consider raping and milking FH's legacy for profit, and that is the topic du jour. If I had my way, we'd only be discussing FH's works but one of the ideas this forum was founded on was to let the discussion take it's own course without censorship. So that is the way it goes. Contrary to what some might say, we are not against the continuation of the Dune series in any medium. We are against BADLY continuing Dune in any medium. The Herberts have hired a notorious hack to bring them a steady paycheck with a total lack of respect for the deep and serious ideas and themes present in FH's legacy and have turned it into a McDune franchise. It's a shame that none of the many qualified, GOOD authors have not had a chance to do FH's legacy justice. At least, if they aren't going to give a real author a shot, they should stop defiling Dune with the pulp space opera crap they've been churning out.

Well, that's the gist of it.

I exist only to serve,

Freakzilla
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Re: Who We Are and What We Stand For

Post by Freakzilla »

Y'all please feel free to post anything you think I may have left out, should add or to even comment on my grammar. :oops:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Good stuff. I'd like to see this on the front page of the site, not just as a post in the forum
“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” Albert Einstein
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SimonH wrote:Good stuff. I'd like to see this on the front page of the site, not just as a post in the forum
It's an announcement, I don't know how I could make it more up front.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Anudar

Post by Anudar »

This should be called The talifan's manifesto and should be put to the knowledge of every original Dune- and (especially) prequels-reader...

*comes back to silent-lurker-mode...*
Bi-lal kaïfa !
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Except that we do not accept the designation "Talifan". ;)
Anudar

Post by Anudar »

Ooops... I'm gonna mortify myself for that one. Sorry for the noise.
What term do I have to use instead of this one ?
Bi-lal kaïfa !
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh, don't do that! :D (You're WAY too serious sometimes! ;) )

I should have phrased that, "I don't accept that designation."

There may be others here who choose to use it, to twist it around on KJA and his minions and bear it with pride. :)
lotek

Post by lotek »

Orthodox Herbertarians
The Cast Out
the Iduali

ow and Freak?
that was a very moving text indeed(and I am not being sarcastic)

Who We Are

We are a bunch of rag tag internet wanderers, churned from the very place where we belonged the most and that has long lost both way and followers.
We have found a new sietch where to vent our frustration at seeing how money and greed have again overcome the beauty and complexity of a Great Story, one fitting to call itself a heir to Greek drama.

I am Lotek, thanks to my Dad I was introduced to science-fiction and Fantasy from a very early age, going first for those heroes that knew not failure before being a young adult, so by the time I encountered Dune and Frank Herbert I was ready to accept what the Hack has not understood(and probably never will):
heroes are human, they make mistakes and they sometimes live to regret them!
"Real boats rock!"

Funny enough I found Jacurutu through a youtube video
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZdilt3k ... re=related[/youtube]
And I have called it home ever since!

Of course some idiots use our slandering of the hack to silence the voice of discontent, but they only do it because he makes them feel like they can understand everything by giving them no intellectual challenges...
That to me/us is heresy in the real sense of the word
Heresy is a controversial or novel change to a system of beliefs, especially a religion, that conflicts with established dogma
What we stand for

This I don't know for sure, in my most megalomaniac moments i believe we are the only true remnant of reason in the Duniverse, the guardians of the true faith ;)
But most of the time I think we stand for ourselves as individuals, with the common goal and crazy hope of seeing Dune restored to its past glory(and the defilers forgotten in time and history)
Last edited by lotek on 13 Sep 2013 06:13, edited 1 time in total.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

A place for those who love the originals to express their concerns for the prevailing treatment of the literary legacy without concern of banishment for expressing those concerns and for new comers to interact with knowledge persons about the intricacies of the universe that is Dune.

And to also have a chance to joke around about everyday life. :mrgreen:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Well done, FZ.

I would add only that much of the KJA/Bobo discussion here is simply the natural result of the way things stand in the Dune universe. Or, to turn it around and start from the beginning: Frank Herbert is dead, and has been so for many years. There is no news available regarding FH. I'm sure that if there was, we'd all do our best to break the internets in discussing it.

Going further, there's not even very much audio or video of FH available, the two coins of the realm in our digital age. So we're left with trying to get as close as we can to FH and the universe he created, which leads us directly into the gaping maw of the Hebert Leeches and their hired hack. And, once we discover how unspeakably clueless and greedy they are, many of us tend to react negatively. And it certainly doesn't help that one of the two main perpetrators is an egomaniacal gadfly who almost literally cannot ever just shut up about how wonderful he is and how much he's done for the Dune universe. That's the sort of thing that tends to enrage.

I always feel a tinge of guilt whenever I post an anti-Anderjacket thought; I know I should probably be talking about FH and the six canon books instead. I just wish I had something to add about FH, or that something new would be discovered. As it is, I feel like the only thing I can do is to defend the Dune universe as best I can against a greedy family, a zombie-esque son with disturbing daddy issues, and a hired mercenary who should stick to writing his YA Star Wars crap.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:I always feel a tinge of guilt whenever I post an anti-Anderjacket thought; I know I should probably be talking about FH and the six canon books instead.
I really didn't intend to make anyone feel guilty, I know it's Dune current events, I just hate the whole situation.
~Pink Snowman
trang

Post by trang »

Heart felt post about yourself, the forum, and what is stands for. I would use different phraesology though, submitted humbly, as I am no master of langauge.

Instead of "what we stand for" "The forum's Focus is"

"What we stand for" signify's a movement of some sorts... which under the hood... it is understood.. Orthodox Herbertarians. I am a dedicated OH'er and will remain so for as long as I have air in my lungs, but not all adopt that designation, nor should they have to.

"The Forums focus is the continued discussion and discovery of the Dune Chronicles written by Frank Herbert. The exchange of ideas is in all forms (art, news, motion picture, internet etc.) Attemtps at extending Dune beyond the original six books has been undertaken and those works have been published. A prevailing viewpoint of disdain is expressed by a majority, both for the books and their creators, but that should not discourage anyones opinions. Their are also off topic discussions such as Frank Herberts other works, and a favorite area of many, a little place named Ghafla "the distraction" which offers a variety of topics from members.

The continuation of the Dune Chronicles, in any format, honoring the legacy and its place in science or speculitive fiction is a wish of many members. So if this seems interesting, sign up and join in the discussion, love to have ya!"

The backgrounds of the sysop's is cool too:) and my aim is to not give any free advertising or acknowledgement to the hacks. There is plenty of that within
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

"...current events in the world of Dune have drawn fire towards the new authors for what many fans consider raping and milking FH's legacy for profit, and that is the topic du jour. If I had my way, we'd only be discussing FH's works but one of the ideas this forum was founded on was to let the discussion take it's own course without censorship. So that is the way it goes. Contrary to what some might say, we are not against the continuation of the Dune series in any medium. We are against BADLY continuing Dune in any medium. The Herberts have hired a notorious hack to bring them a steady paycheck with a total lack of respect for the deep and serious ideas and themes present in FH's legacy and have turned it into a McDune franchise. It's a shame that none of the many qualified, GOOD authors have not had a chance to do FH's legacy justice. At least, if they aren't going to give a real author a shot, they should stop defiling Dune with the pulp space opera crap they've been churning out."

I agree, and I think it was a very good idea to create this thread. It would be nice if we didn't have to talk about HLP, but they're still writing them books.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
lotek

Post by lotek »

yeah I've thought many times about this, thinking why waste time and thought slandering idiots...
and then I stumble upon one of many of their garbles, and I feel the anger and frustration again...
which can only be quenched by mockery, the only tool we have left to call back the mockery they have tried to make of Dune
and I hate obnoxious pricks full of themselves(and anyone who encourages them in that way)

EDIT
but I will try to talk more of Dune and less of Them
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:...but I will try to talk more of Dune and less of Them
Again, not my intention at all. Just my preference. Y'all talk about what you want to.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I do think that it's worth pointing out contradictions and inconsistencies with FH's books. I know that many of us tend to take it personally because they won't admit to any of them. I also think that if they are not going to address them that it is worth speculating on why.

I think this thread is a good idea to (yet again) illustrate that it is not the continuation of Dune to which we object but with the terrible writing and poor way FH's legacy is handled.

If they want to continue Dune, that's great. I'd like to see more books, video games, television, movies, etc. etc.

But for the love of Frank, get some talent involved.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:
lotek wrote:...but I will try to talk more of Dune and less of Them
Again, not my intention at all. Just my preference. Y'all talk about what you want to.
yeah I understand that and my answer was not made out of some guilt(more g-caster jokes?)but more out of respect for Frank's memory and the fact that there is so much to talk about in his books(as opposed to the other two)

and i did not say I would stop the mockery, just try to reduce its importance in proportion ;)
Nekhrun wrote:I do think that it's worth pointing out contradictions and inconsistencies with FH's books. I know that many of us tend to take it personally because they won't admit to any of them. I also think that if they are not going to address them that it is worth speculating on why.
absolutely right :clap:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Nekhrun wrote:...But for the love of Frank, get some talent involved.
:pray:
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I don't think any of us truly enjoys deconstructing every moronic thing that KJA does. Well, maybe Chig, but I'm quite sure he'd have plenty of things to entertain himself with if KJA wasn't constantly making an asshat of himself. I myself think he'd be ten times as good a writer if he'd just slow the eff down in his pace and actually edit a book without Iron Man on a plasma screen in the same room*. He just makes mocking him so easy!

That and

1) He started it, by refusing to even deal with constructive criticism and labeling the initial complaint bringers as "Talifans" comparing us to terrorists. He stoked the embers of disgust and confusion into flames of anger and retribution. Wrong move Kev. He and the HLP built the culture of banning and deletions that have built this community and robbed it of its primary function: Love of Frank Herbert's work.
2) Its easy
3) Its fun
4) He is damaging something that was profound in every single person on this board's life: Dune. Damaging is a diplomatic word. Corpse raping is much more apt but not acceptable for polite conversation.

*If this sounds apologetic I apologize. KJA writing at 10x his normal skill doesn't mean his ideas aren't shit to begin with. FUCK YOU MARIE FENRING!!
** I also apologize for making pretty much my whole post about KJA. He is the topic du jour and I have a dream that we will all live to see a time when the sons of Dune and the sons of nuDune can sit down at the table of fellowship and realize that there are only 6 books. On that Day we will be free of KJA, thank Frank Almighty, we'll be free of KJA
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ampoliros wrote:I don't think any of us truly enjoys deconstructing every moronic thing that KJA does. Well, maybe Chig
:P

Don't worry, I've got plenty of irons in the fire all the time. :D
Corpse raping is much more apt but not acceptable for polite conversation.
Polite conversation is highly overrated. ;)
** I also apologize for making pretty much my whole post about KJA. He is the topic du jour and I have a dream that we will all live to see a time when the sons of Dune and the sons of nuDune can sit down at the table of fellowship and realize that there are only 6 books. On that Day we will be free of KJA, thank Frank Almighty, we'll be free of KJA
Reverend Ampo Liros King? :lol:

Careful, though: this is the kind of thing that gets read by morons and leads their small minds to conclude there's a quasi-religious aspect to our assembly, like we're some kind of Frank Herbert cult. :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Its not so much sacred or religious as it is about celebrating the excellence that we are capable of and avoiding the pitfalls of mediocrity.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

Ampoliros wrote:Its not so much sacred or religious as it is about celebrating the excellence that we are capable of and avoiding the pitfalls of mediocrity.
Yeah, that.

This grade-school level of literature is really pissing me off - it's everywhere. Dumbing down to the lowest level, instead of lifting to the higher.
As is seen in abundance on Facebook, today's human seems to prefer to communicate very, very badly.
lotek

Post by lotek »

man don't start with FB, KJA is bad enough that we have to worry about that...

ow and to those who take everything literaly:

I have a shrine I pray to everyday with Frank's photograph, he is the true messiah of our lost modern times and the only one to have grasped the concept of future(well that is true)
he was sold for 30 pieces of silver by his own family, worse than Judas!