Top 15 Greatest Science Fiction Writers of All-Time

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

cmsahe

Top 15 Greatest Science Fiction Writers of All-Time

Post by cmsahe »

This columinist writes his list of those he considers the greatest Sci Fi writers of all time, there are names I didn't know, I have read the most popular like Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury and Frank Herbert. I read Solaris by Stanislaw Lem because a website recommended him and because the soviet movie based on his novel was presented in the West like the "Soviet answer to 2001 A Space Odyssey."

http://www.mania.com/top-15-greatest-sc ... 12611.html
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

You don't have to answer, but who do you not know? I'm not sure I've read something by all of them, but I recognize most of the names.... ;)

15. Larry Niven
14. Philip Jose' Farmer
13. Robert Silverberg
12. Ursula K. Le Guin
11. Harry Harrison
10. Frederick Pohl
9. Frank Herbert
8. Harlan Ellison
7. Jack Williamson (no)
6. E. E. “Doc” Smith (don't think so)
5. Philip K. Dick
4. Ray Bradbury
3. Robert A. Heinlein
2. Isaac Asimov
1. Arthur C. Clarke

Honorable mentions:

1. Douglas Adams
2. Alfred Bester (no)
3. Ben Bova
4. Orson Scott Card
5. Gordon R. Dickson
6. David Gerrold (maybe...) -> revised: ugh, I have. :(
7. Stanislaw Lem
8. Theodore Sturgeon
9. Jack Vance (don't think I've read)
10. Gene Wolfe (haven't read)

Near Exclusions

1. Roger Zelanzy
2. William Gibson
3. Harry Turtledove (not sure I've read him)
Last edited by SandChigger on 12 Mar 2009 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

My list have FH at the top:

5. William Gibson
4. Philip K. Dick
3. Isaac Asimov
2. Robert A. Heinlein
1. Frank Herbert

my top 5
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Wow, same two for me, Chiggie. Although I've been considering checking out Smith's Lensmen for a while.

And David Gerrold is on any list of this sort? Poor form there. The man is a hack, still milking one episode of Star Trek 40 years later.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:shock:

Ouch ouch ouch. It's like you whispered "Secher Nbiw" in my ear and it all came flooding back!

I have read David Gerrold: his novelization of Battle for the Planet of the Apes. :shock:

OMG. Don't ask how or why.... 1973? I was 12 ... that should explain everything. You know, that age at which kids today are starting Dune forums. :P
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Gerrold has made a mint with media tie-ins and scripts. he does not belong on a top writer's list at all, except possibly for one non-fiction book he wrote about adopting a child who thought he was a Martian.

As for Harrison, I never understood why he gets such high marks from everybody. He wrote so much shit during his career, and AFAICT, just a few that did not totally suck. Make Room! Make Room! comes to mind. Other than that I really hate his story stories.

EE Doc Smith definitely belongs there. People may not be crazy about old-fashioned space opera these days, but back in the day it was tops, and he was the best.

Niven deserves more than 15th place. LeGuin, Pohl and Silverberg deserve to be closer to the top. Clarke, Asimov and Heinlein should probably just get first second and third as a block, rather than trying to number them. Bova needs to go away. so does Turtledove.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Was the Gerrold Martian-kid book the one made into a movie last year? Talked about it over on T(A)U? That one?

I think KJA name-dropped him (about the time the movie was out?) as a friend(?) he and "Slippery When Wet" had had dinner with....

It all begins to make sense. ;)
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

KJA, of course, being conspicuously absent from yet another "Top Writers" list. His desperate quest for validation, for being accepted as one of the masters, must continue ... :)
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:KJA, of course, being conspicuously absent from yet another "Top Writers" list. His desperate quest for validation, for being accepted as one of the masters, must continue ... :)
You really think he's stiving for that? I think he's just in it to make money.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Oh, definitely. This shines through in many of his interviews and blog entries: a desperate need to be accepted. To be acknowledged as a valuable contributor to the SF/F community.

Two examples: always, always mentioning his award nominations and that he's a "bestselling" author in every interview he does. And his whole "critical darlings" quote, too. I don't need any psychiatric training to recognize that for what it really is.
orald

Post by orald »

Appearantly mommy and daddy didn't love him enough...I'm starting to see why.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I'm surprised Harrison is there, too. And Ellison. But everyone else I think belong on the list (although I might quibble about order :) ).

I think Gibson deserves a place on the list as well. Sure, he's only written 8 novels over 25 years, but they had an enormous impact on the field. The guy can write, too.

Lists like this are hard; are you evaluating writing quality? Influence? Body of work as a whole? I don't think I could come up with a top 5 very easily.

HBJ
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Was the Gerrold Martian-kid book the one made into a movie last year? Talked about it over on T(A)U? That one?

I think KJA name-dropped him (about the time the movie was out?) as a friend(?) he and "Slippery When Wet" had had dinner with....

That's the one.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
TheDukester wrote:KJA, of course, being conspicuously absent from yet another "Top Writers" list. His desperate quest for validation, for being accepted as one of the masters, must continue ... :)
You really think he's stiving for that? I think he's just in it to make money.
Oh no. I dont think money means too much to him. He is about two things: Being incredibly prolific while maintaining that signature "quality" that he provides, and having gushing child-like fans who kiss his ass. I think he dreams about this kind of recognition.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Omphalos wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Was the Gerrold Martian-kid book the one made into a movie last year? Talked about it over on T(A)U? That one?

That's the one.
great movie, with Joan Cusack's brother. He's gotten really good,
too, over the years. Who'da thunk ?

My best would have to be Frank, but I think the most important is Clarke ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandRider wrote:
Omphalos wrote:

That's the one.
great movie, with Joan Cusack's brother. He's gotten really good,
too, over the years. Who'da thunk ?

My best would have to be Frank, but I think the most important is Clarke ....
You liked that movie you should read the book. Much better.

Goodnight Golden Path!
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

I do not agree with Arthur C. Clarke being the number 1 of the list.

I've read: all the Space Odyssey novels (3001 was a failure), Richter 10, Cradle, The light from other days, IMO he uses the same template to develop the setting of the stories: there are technological wonders in the World, the former enemies of the 20th century are now big buddies, a tycoon invents a devise that will revolutionize the society.

For me:
1. Isaac Asimov
2 Frank Herbert

and this is biased and based on incomplete knowledge because there are authors in the list that I have never read!

SandChigger wrote:You don't have to answer, but who do you not know? I'm not sure I've read something by all of them, but I recognize most of the names.... ;)

1. Arthur C. Clarke

)
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Glad to see Jack Williamson on the list, damn good writer, along with the Lensmen, his Legion of Space books were tops in space opera. The Humanoids still is a chilling masterpiece to this day.

Rob
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Arthur C. Clarke invented fucking radar.
His contributions to the world of REAL science would secure his place
in history if he had never written a word of fiction.

His real world accomplishments trump all the other writers' on that list combined.

So best writer is subjective, a matter of interest and taste.
Most important has higher criteria....
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Psssst! Try geosynchronous communications satellite. Was a radar instructor and technician. ;) )
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

well, there you go.
you get my point.

didn't really mean to be so harsh either. (sorry, Carlos)
I was a little drunk and angry last night. (not sorry, "Dunenewt")
ImageImage

SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

We forgive you Rider, while you were in that state did you get a chance to exchange posts with our favorite retarded saggy tited dune mob?
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

Just because Asimov came first doesn't make him anywhere near the writer Herbert was.

Asimov was a great idea man, but his writing was rather dry. Herbert kicks his ass.

My top 5 are:

1. Herbert
2. Niven
3. Clarke
4. Pohl
5. Simmons
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Agree about Asimov; I think his short fiction during the 40s and 50s definitely puts him way up there based on influence or contributions to the field. Three Laws and all that. But writing-wise, he was great, but there are better.

His *science* writing however, is another story. Unequalled, in my opinion, and he made it look easy. But this is an SF list. :)

HBJ
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Lists like this remind me that I've still got a shiteload to look forward to.

So far though:

Herbert, Heinlein, Le Guin, Lem are my easy top 4

Bradbury*, Sturgeon, Dick, Clarke and Asimov are probably going to join them in a future top 9, but I'd like to read more of them before committing to anything :P

*I think Bradbury might have to be my next project - I've been listening to 50s scifi radio at work quite a bit and the ones "based on a story by Ray Bradbury" are all good :)

I have the books, now all I need to do is to find time and read them. Stupid internet :x
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -