Your Favorite TV shows

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

This week, I have been mostly watching:

BSG
Mad Men
Gerry Anderson's New Captain Scarlet
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

^^^ Not Chipolatas? :):)
NotAbout

Post by NotAbout »

I find it interesting a lot of you guys like BSG, I can't stand it.

Currently watching:
Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles (yeah I know its pretty bad)

Past viewing:
The Mighty Boosh
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
Drawn Together
Shameless
Stargate
Chaser
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

BSG milked the final 10 sodes so hard!

A scene of Lee "trying to get a bird out of his kitchen" that stands alone ? Dubious to say the least
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
Schu

Post by Schu »

NotAbout wrote:The Mighty Boosh
Yay for Boosh!!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Glenn Beck would be funny, if he wasn't totally serious. Mold of Yancy anyone?

Stewart/Colbert
South Park
Important Things with Dimitri Martin

BSG.

Rob, i noticed you have Starblazers listed. I loved that show as a kid but I don't want to risk a crapton of money buying the DVD's. Is it as good as I remember? I bought series 1 of Robotech and it was still good, albiet hilariously campy in some places.

I wish they would frikkin put all of Gargoyles on DVD. I miss that show so much.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Ampoliros wrote:I bought series 1 of Robotech
I have lost all respect for you :) :P
Check out the original SDF Macross DVD sets. They have aged far better than Robodreck.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Baraka Bryan wrote:i watched the first couple episodes of demitri martin's show but didn't find it very good at all... there were a couple laugh out loud moments, but overlal it was rather boring.

i love his "Jokes with Guitar" though :D
He is on a new level of funny his drawing jokes are something new to me anyhow. I think he is some kind of comedy savant...
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Yeah I think Dimitri's Humor is going to appeal to a very limited audience. He's starting to lose me with the amount of toilet humor he uses, not because I don't like it but because I preferred his intellectual humor.

Anyone else here like British gangster films? Guy Ritchie got me started and I've come to love more British films like Layer Cake and Sexy Beast. Ian McShane said yest on Daily Show that they had made a sequel to Sexy Beast. If you know some others please let me know.

Hot Fuzz is probably the only film I've popped in the DVD player, watched, and immediately re-played. I love that film.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:
Hot Fuzz is probably the only film I've popped in the DVD player, watched, and immediately re-played. I love that film.
i have that in my dvd drive in my laptop right now.. i think it's been sitting there for a few weeks and I still havn't gotten around to watching it :P

sooo i guess you're recommending it then..
WATCH IT. Sooo good! Did you guys see Shawn of the Dead? Same level of perfection.

Both movies are hilarious and very tightly written. Every little joke or event in the first half foreshadows something else in the second half. It's quite brilliant.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

British humor is ok but I dont get much true laughs from it, more of "huh thats ment to be funny"

Guy Ritche is a QT hax IMO. I still like him and watch his flicks, but he just tries to be Quintin and mostly phails miserably.

Anyone see "Revolver"?

Who remembers the good times jake?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote:
Check out the original SDF Macross DVD sets. They have aged far better than Robodreck.
I've still yet to see the original. One day...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Revolver is crap try Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. If that don't do it for you check for a pluse.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Hot Fuzz was bloody brilliant. One of the funniest films I've seen in years. Layer Cake was quite good, if a little over-plotted. Guy Ritchie's first two brit-gangster flicks (Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrerls and Snatch) were highly entertaining films but his last good film was Star, part of The Hire collection of BMW short films.
Freakzilla wrote:I've still yet to see the original. One day...
It's worth it. SDF Macross is so much more coherent and well put together than the Robotech edit. It's also more serious and interesting dramatically, for a kids show, I mean. :)
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote:
It's worth it. SDF Macross is so much more coherent and well put together than the Robotech edit. It's also more serious and interesting dramatically, for a kids show, I mean. :)
Can I get a version with Min Mae edited out? :lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Yeah, I liked Lock, Stock and Snatch a lot. Smart violent slapstick.

HBJ
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Ampoliros wrote:Hot Fuzz is probably the only film I've popped in the DVD player, watched, and immediately re-played.
I did that with Layer Cake. Then I read the book, too (which is excellent, BTW).
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

inhuien wrote:Revolver is crap try Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. If that don't do it for you check for a pluse.
Its ok I did not think it was that good, i liked Snatch the best but not for story, plot or script, but some of the actors were great.

I might not have a pulse, but again, British humor never really hits me, I find it overly subtle.
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

GamePlayer wrote:
I love Macross, I keep watching Mari Iijima videos on youtube. :P I have both Robotech and Macross box sets, IMO Macross is much better, for being the original. Also. "Do you Remember Love?" is an excellent OVA adaptation of Macross. Do you have Valkyries (veritechs) Gameplayer? I bought half a dozen over the years. I like the Macross 7 saga too.
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

Freakzilla wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:
Can I get a version with Min Mae edited out? :lol:
Lynn Minmay is not he Jar Jar Binks of Macross!

(humming: "Shao pai long" )
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

For those who are interested, the BMW short film directed by Guy Ritchie can be seen here:

The Hire, episode 4 - Star (directed by Guy Ritchie)

Enjoy :)
Freakzilla wrote:Can I get a version with Min Mae edited out? :lol:
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen her named misspelled quite that way before. This is coming from me, a fan who has had to tolerate years of knee-jerk fans on both sides of the fence. You should feel proud of your creativity :)

Minmay in SDF Macross is much more tolerable and thanks to the talents of Mari Ijima, a much better singer :) But in all fairness, Minmay is still Minmay; at her worst in Roboschlock, at her best in SDF Macross, for whatever that's worth :)
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

That was great. Thanks for the link.

Even though it's essentially a BMW commercial, I must say that Clive Owen is great in this kind of role. I must find time to look at the others.

HBJ
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I loved Lock, Stock. Snatch felt too Americanized for me, even though I loved Brad Pitt in it.

Rocknrolla was decent I thought, i was only half paying attention when I was watching it. (unfortunately the reason why wasn't hot, it's cause I was kicking ass at board-game night. The last movie I 'watched while distracted' was Muppet Treasure Island. My GF at the time said she felt dirty afterward: she felt it was wrong to do that kind of thing while the Muppets where on...)

Apparently Sexy Beast is getting a sequel. Can't wait. Ian McShane needs to be in more great films. If you cross Layer Cake with Donnie Darko, you'll get Sexy Beast. its worth it alone to see Ben "Ghandi" Kingsley play the most psychotic gangster in history.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

cmsahe wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:
I love Macross, I keep watching Mari Iijima videos on youtube. :P I have both Robotech and Macross box sets, IMO Macross is much better, for being the original. Also. "Do you Remember Love?" is an excellent OVA adaptation of Macross. Do you have Valkyries (veritechs) Gameplayer? I bought half a dozen over the years. I like the Macross 7 saga too.
Just to be nitpicky (hehehe) Macross: Do You Remember Love? is technically a film, not an Original Video Animation. But as you've said, it is indeed amazing. Definitely one of the best installments from the franchsie.

Generally, I don't own much of any merchandise from most of the films or series I enjoy. In contrast to the reason most anime shows are created (to sell toys), I mostly enjoy the animated shows themselves, or the artbooks, DVDs and CDs. However, I do own a Yamato's 1/48 scale transformable VF-1J Valkyrie and a couple valkyries in Kaiyodo's Revoltech line.

Have you watched Macross Frontier? It's amazing.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

By the Power of Grayskull!