Your Favorite TV shows

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

GamePlayer wrote: Have you watched Macross Frontier? It's amazing.
No I haven't bought it yet. I thought it was bad and an attempt to milk money from the fans. I distanced from Macross after that IMO bad Macross Zero OVA, I didn't like it. It should have been the story of Roy Fokker do not that silly love triangle. But now that you recommend me Macross Frontier I'll try to buy it.
BTW I bought the Beta Fighter of the Robotech Masterpiece Collection and it's great! The new generation was way better than the Southern Cross story.
(humming "Lonely soldier boy) :)")
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Baraka Bryan wrote:well i guess i'll have to watch hot fuzz tomorrow.. i'm working from home so my manager can't catch me :D
Yes, you must. Awesome movie. You'll have a great time.
cmsahe wrote:No I haven't bought it yet. I thought it was bad and an attempt to milk money from the fans. I distanced from Macross after that IMO bad Macross Zero OVA, I didn't like it. It should have been the story of Roy Fokker do not that silly love triangle. But now that you recommend me Macross Frontier I'll try to buy it.
Macross Zero was awful. Not as bad as Macross 7, but still a major disappointment.

I suppose tastes will differ, but Macross Frontier turned out great. Easily the best Macross installment since Macross Plus. Frontier was a lot of fun and kept up a good pace almost the whole way through. Plenty of action and some good humor. Granted it's not perfect, but certainly worth a look.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I may have discussed this with GP before, but I remember hearing of an "americanized" live action movie based on "Forever, Yamato!" (Starblazers) where they raise and convert the USS Arizona. I'd pay to see that.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Freakzilla wrote:I may have discussed this with GP before, but I remember hearing of an "americanized" live action movie based on "Forever, Yamato!" (Starblazers) where they raise and convert the USS Arizona. I'd pay to see that.
I have a copy of the screenplay. It...is lacking.

Rob
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Robspierre wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I may have discussed this with GP before, but I remember hearing of an "americanized" live action movie based on "Forever, Yamato!" (Starblazers) where they raise and convert the USS Arizona. I'd pay to see that.

Rob
Worth reading at all?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Freakzilla wrote:
Robspierre wrote:

Rob
Worth reading at all?
It is worth a read through. Some great bits but more cringe worthy stuff.

Rob
phredd

Post by phredd »

I think the topic is TV shows?

Simpsons
Futurama
Sopranos
Six Feet Under
Carnivale
Star Trek TOS
Star Trek TNG
Monty Python
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Currently watching a show called Lewis - did some work for the current ep - my first foray into the world of TV.

Stoked as a goat :D
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

watched Kings tonight, it has some good moments but I don't see it lasting unless it gets much better. I think about 2/3rds of the casting seems bland. Ian McShane could do better than that show.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
trang

Post by trang »

Life before (Baretta, Starsky and hutch) "Hill Street Blues" after.... pretty much never want to see another show which involves, cops, lawyers or doctors, or cops being lawyers, or lawyers being cops, or doctors being cops, ...to many of those shows... bore me to tears. (this goes for drama, normal life stuff)

Watch and have watched TONS of comedy shows...

Monty Pythons flying circus
Alf
Barney Miller
Doctors in the House
Good Times
Leave it to Beaver
Mork and Mindy
Seinfeld
Mad about You
Friends
Scrubs
King of the hill
SNL

just on and on...

current comedies i watch...

the office
Big Bang theory
My name is Earl
Two and a Half Men
Mind of Mencia
The Sarah Silverman Program
South park (not huge fan, just occationally, always funny)
Daily show
Colbert Report
30 Rock (again not huge fan but watching more and is good)

Looking forward to Amy Poeler in Parks and Recreation... looks funny as hell.

Sci-fi and fantasy....again a very long list

Current/just ended

Lost
SG1
Stargate Atlantis
BSG
Fringe
Heroes
Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles
DR Who (new Doctor(s))

Older:
Xfiles
Space Above and beyond
B5
Farscape
DS9
The Greatest American Hero
STTNG
STTOS
Enterprise
Dr Who(TomBaker die hard)
Salvage 1
Outter Limits
Andromeda
HeRcules the Legendary adventures
Xena Warrior Princess
ROAR
THundar the Barbarian
He-man
Thundercats
Blackstar
New adventures of Flash Gordon
Lost in Space
Knightrider (old and New, Smith Cho is frakking HOT!!!!!)
BSG TOS
Seaquest
Man from Atlantis
The Powers of Mattew Star
BUCK ROGERS
The Incredible Hulk
Flash
Six million Dollar Man
The Bionic Woman
Wild Wild West

on and on....

Action type shows...

Mcguyver
A-team
Vegas (dan tanna)
The fall Guy (lee Majors)
Barnaby Jones
BJ and The Bear
Cannon
Mannix
ROME
Sopranos
Daktari
Rat Patrol
12 O'clock High
Dexter
Emergency

then you have like Freak Mentioned....basically everything that is on these channels:

History, History Internantional, Discovery, Military channel. Love these to death.

Axemen, Ice road truckers, Deadly jobs, Dirty jobs... Mythbusters, Monster quest, ufo hunters... etc etc.

on on ... Funny how sitting here how large the list is and that I actually watched the majority if not all of the episodes of all of these shows over time.

Enjoy
Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I agree. Firefly is required viewing.
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

GamePlayer wrote:I agree. Firefly is required viewing.

Thought the film came up a bit short, but I liked it still. Its a cool universe. Im not an expert, but is everyone speaking Japanese in taht universe? Or is there a reason all the ships seem to be painted with Japanese characters?

trang - Dude you watch a lot of shows. Wide taste. Is that more of your all time show list, or shows your still watching now?
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

It's mandarin. The Firefly universe speculates that it will be the Americans and the Chinese who establish space; hence why everyone is speaking mandarin.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Yeah Firefly kicked ass.
Nice to see Space: Above and Beyond on there, It wasn't the best sci-fi show ever, but the 2-part episode (Never No More/The Angriest Angel) totally kicked ass.
"My creator? My Creator was some guy in a labsuit with a Petri dish, what would I want to make peace with him for? To be fair padre, I don't think our creator wants to talk to me right now, because I'm going to go out in this plane and remove one of his creations from his sky. And when I get back I'm going to drink a bottle of wine, like it was Chiggy Von Richtofen's blood, and celebrate his death."

"Amen"
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

GamePlayer wrote:The Firefly universe speculates that it will be the Americans and the Chinese who establish space
Instead of just the Chinese, as it will probably turn out in the real world. :roll:

Same result, though: everyone speaks Mandarin in the future.

(Anyone else ever heard a Singaporean singer named Dick Lee's "Let's All Speak Mandarin!", from his The Mad Chinaman album? ;) )
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Who knows. Neither the Chinese nor the Americans have any plans for space nearly that ambitious. At least, not in the near future (meaning several hundred years). Plus, falling empires don't work the way they used to. Mutually assured destruction has a way of making us all play nice with each other as we go through our revolutions :)
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

SandChigger wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:The Firefly universe speculates that it will be the Americans and the Chinese who establish space
Instead of just the Chinese, as it will probably turn out in the real world. :roll:

Same result, though: everyone speaks Mandarin in the future.

(Anyone else ever heard a Singaporean singer named Dick Lee's "Let's All Speak Mandarin!", from his The Mad Chinaman album? ;) )
No, but his name is Dick Lee? That alone is funny and cool.

I think its clear that Canada will be the first nation to colonize space
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

No, someone else will colonize space first. But Canada will be assured second place :P
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:No, someone else will colonize space first. But Canada will be assured second place :P
we just better make sure we defend our land on this planet from the ruskies first
They are comming for our Artic!

1 Native Canadian from Yukon could kill 50 cossacks on the tundra.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

GamePlayer wrote:Who knows. Neither the Chinese nor the Americans have any plans for space nearly that ambitious. At least, not in the near future (meaning several hundred years). Plus, falling empires don't work the way they used to. Mutually assured destruction has a way of making us all play nice with each other as we go through our revolutions :)
True ... and I'm still hoping for "interesting times". ;)

I thought the Chinese had announced plans for a "Great Leap Outward" that would put them on the Moon by 2020.... :?: :?: :?:

(That's "twenty-twenty", btw.)
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

Best TV shows?

BSG
Carnivale
Jim Hensons 'The Storyteller'
Star Trek DS9
Star Trek TNG
Twilight Zone (80's version)
I, Claudius
Band of Brothers
Dead Like Me
The League of Gentlemen
Monty Python's Flying Circus
The Nanny

BSG, Carnivale and Storyteller really have that extra 'something' that makes them truly excellent. A certain 'flavour' that's missing from other, lesser shows. Sort of like reading Dune after McDune.
trang

Post by trang »

Baraka Bryan wrote:trang, have you not watched Firefly? i don't see it on your list and if you had i'd think it'd be top of mind on top shows... so if you haven't WATCH IT NOW!!! TODAY!
My humble apologies ABSOLUTLY watched Firefly and it kicked ass. Did that list at work last night and for every show I remembered 2 I couldnt.

My list is more of a recking of shows watched over the 41 years I have been on this planet.

Scifi-Fantasy is first love, Comedy close second.. action/adventure

Hell more I think about it the more pop in my head:

Kung-Fu
Amazing stories
MASH
Mary Tyler Moore

etc.

Trang
Purveyer of the Boob-Tube, dig it man!!
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

cmsahe

Re:

Post by cmsahe »

GamePlayer wrote:...
Have you watched Macross Frontier? It's amazing.
Hi Gameplayer, I have just ended watching Macross Frontier (the complete 25 episodes over several days) thumbs up! I have been a fan of Macross for 23 years, I liked this one a lot. Awesome jap pop music: Seikan Hikou, Ni Hao Nyan, Diamond Crevasse, Triangler, etc.

I'd have liked to watch what happened to the Megaroad 1...
(spoilers

...)
Macross Frontier took several plot elements from the original Macross series, Didn't you feel that the series borrowed ideas from Robotech the New generation? There were even Invids, a nest, humans fighting alongside the Invids/Vajra. Maybe this was the Macross franchise revenge on Carl Macek :)

----
GamePlayer
70mm God

Re: Re:

Post by GamePlayer »

cmsahe wrote:
Hi Gameplayer, I have just ended watching Macross Frontier (the complete 25 episodes over several days) thumbs up! I have been a fan of Macross for 23 years, I liked this one a lot. Awesome jap pop music: Seikan Hikou, Ni Hao Nyan, Diamond Crevasse, Triangler, etc.

(spoilers

...)
Macross Frontier took several plot elements from the original Macross series, Didn't you feel that the series borrowed ideas from Robotech the New generation? There were even Invids, a nest, humans fighting alongside the Invids/Vajra. Maybe this was the Macross franchise revenge on Carl Macek :)
Ah, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Macross Frontier was a lot of fun and a very worthy sequel to the franchise. Mecha anime is actually going through a bit of a renaissance, so if you liked Macross Frontier, now is the time to check out a few other mecha series as well. I've got the first Macross Frontier OST on CD, so if you're interested I can send you some tracks. It's not bad, but not Kanno's best work (which would be Macross Plus and Cowboy Bebop, IMO).

I know this may sound odd coming from a Macross fan, but I've never actually cared to know about the fate of the Megaroad-01 and the original cast after Flashback 2012. Kawamori intentionally left their fate unknown so that the original cast of characters will be forever immortalized. I'm fine with that, because it does close off that story to a satisfactory end, at least for me. Besides, once Macross Plus came out, I was ready for a new cast and story.

Back to Macross Frontier, no, I never felt Frontier was any kind of homage to Genesis Climber Mospeada nor did I think the writers were influenced by the Inbit. What Macross Frontier was channeling when the writers created the Vajra was Ridley Scott's Alien, James Cameron's Aliens and Orson Scott Card's Ender's series. Everything from the Vajra's bio-mechanical nature (Giger-esque), "eggs" and the "tailed," greenish/yellow "drones" (facehuggers) to the Vajra "Queen", the bio-mechanical "hives" and deceptive semi-humanoid/insect design were all taken from Alien/Aliens. The V-type virus, "ansible-like" communication between the Vajra, and the Dimension Eater (Dr. Device) were all variations of the Ender series.

Speaking of influences, if you are familiar with the late director Sergio Leone (The Good The Bad and the Ugly, Once Upon A Time In America, etc), you might have recognized his influence upon Macross Frontier. The SMS are "hired guns" like the reluctant heroes in many of Leone's stories. The name "Frontier" is indicative of the old west itself, the mysterious stranger (Brera Stern, dressed in cowboy boots no less!) that plays the "harmonica" (that instrument itself an obvious homage to Sergio Leone's great western Once Upon A Time In The West), the Macross 25/Frontier appearing as a pioneer fleet of "covered wagons" (the various Islands), and so forth. Going back to the SMS, they are most definitely inspired by the same "old west" genre themes; they defy convention and are somewhat "beyond the law", presented as the only "real men" that can meet the challenges of the new frontier. This is in stark contrast to the NUNS described as impotent (Ozuma claims they are cowards) that represent a failing law and the social commentary that inherently implies.

Anyway, yeah, Macross Frontier was a rich animated adventure the way Macross should be. Great stuff :)
cmsahe

Re: Re:

Post by cmsahe »

Hello Gameplayer,

Thanks a lot for the offer (of the OST tracks). I watched Macross Frontier on line and just after finishing it I went to Ebay and ordered a set from a Malayan seller that includes the complete series + a free CD with the soundtrack (+ free shipping), I expect to receive it in two weeks.

Your analysis is very good and insightful, I hadn't made the connection with the Western genre, but now that you mentioned it I can clearly see the references. And yes the Vajra kept reminding me of the Aliens movies and Starship Troopers (the movie).

I became a Macross fan after watching Robotech around 1988, then I learnt that Macross was another (and the original) universe. But I like Robotech too and the Shadows Chronicle is a good movie, and I like the Beta Fighter a lot.

You are right, it's better to leave the fate of the original cast unknown. The representation they made of them in Robotech: The Sentinels was cheesy a wash out and bad.

Best Regards,
Carlos

GamePlayer wrote:
cmsahe wrote:

(spoilers

...)
Ah, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Macross Frontier was a lot of fun and a very worthy sequel to the franchise. Mecha anime is actually going through a bit of a renaissance, so if you liked Macross Frontier, now is the time to check out a few other mecha series as well. I've got the first Macross Frontier OST on CD, so if you're interested I can send you some tracks. It's not bad, but not Kanno's best work (which would be Macross Plus and Cowboy Bebop, IMO).

I know this may sound odd coming from a Macross fan, but I've never actually cared to know about the fate of the Megaroad-01 and the original cast after Flashback 2012. Kawamori intentionally left their fate unknown so that the original cast of characters will be forever immortalized. I'm fine with that, because it does close off that story to a satisfactory end, at least for me. Besides, once Macross Plus came out, I was ready for a new cast and story.

Back to Macross Frontier, no, I never felt Frontier was any kind of homage to Genesis Climber Mospeada nor did I think the writers were influenced by the Inbit. What Macross Frontier was channeling when the writers created the Vajra was Ridley Scott's Alien, James Cameron's Aliens and Orson Scott Card's Ender's series. Everything from the Vajra's bio-mechanical nature (Giger-esque), "eggs" and the "tailed," greenish/yellow "drones" (facehuggers) to the Vajra "Queen", the bio-mechanical "hives" and deceptive semi-humanoid/insect design were all taken from Alien/Aliens. The V-type virus, "ansible-like" communication between the Vajra, and the Dimension Eater (Dr. Device) were all variations of the Ender series.

Speaking of influences, if you are familiar with the late director Sergio Leone (The Good The Bad and the Ugly, Once Upon A Time In America, etc), you might have recognized his influence upon Macross Frontier. The SMS are "hired guns" like the reluctant heroes in many of Leone's stories. The name "Frontier" is indicative of the old west itself, the mysterious stranger (Brera Stern, dressed in cowboy boots no less!) that plays the "harmonica" (that instrument itself an obvious homage to Sergio Leone's great western Once Upon A Time In The West), the Macross 25/Frontier appearing as a pioneer fleet of "covered wagons" (the various Islands), and so forth. Going back to the SMS, they are most definitely inspired by the same "old west" genre themes; they defy convention and are somewhat "beyond the law", presented as the only "real men" that can meet the challenges of the new frontier. This is in stark contrast to the NUNS described as impotent (Ozuma claims they are cowards) that represent a failing law and the social commentary that inherently implies.

Anyway, yeah, Macross Frontier was a rich animated adventure the way Macross should be. Great stuff :)

----