The Hydra's coup d'etat

Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

That's what I never understood about the Bloc. In the US, they'd be called treasonous. I'd love to see NDP gain more power though.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I dont understand all the interrelationships in Canadian politics yet, though I have learning lately, with all the discourse on this site. But it seems to me that this is exactly the kind of thing that I distrust aobut multi-party coalition governments. Isnt the conservative power base up there still pretty new?

Then again, maybe this is an example of a strong third-world government excersising its power to reform quickly when needed? I doubt that though, not because I understand the system, but because Im cynical.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Don't like the idea of this coalition. I don't care if it's "technically" allowable and legal "by the book". These three parties know they don't have jack in common as far as issues, they just want the Conservatives out so bad they are willing to play "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". Shit like this just makes me want to vote against them all the more and if we get an election, I can't wait to smash their little coalition to pieces. I'd vote Green before I'd vote for these jackals.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I've had to decide to stop giving a shit for now. They're all pretty damned useless, and I'm tired of it. When I have more energy to waste on a bunch of bullshit artists I'll start voicing a political opinion again, because that's all I'm doing is voicing an opinion on who's bullshit smells the worst.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

That's a tough one. :)
A Thing of Eternity

Very tough one. Like I said, I've lost most of my energy for this topic, but I'd have to say it's damned near a three way tie between the Conservatives-Liberals-NDP on the BS-O-Meter, the Bloc at least is what it is and spews relatively little BS. Regardless of which party might be closest to my views they're all so full of answer dodging super powers that I could give a crap who runs the country right now.

I'm coming to terms with the fact that there may not be a party for me in this country, so I really might be stuck with voting strategically against the worst ones for the rest of my life. :(
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

sorry, got to do this :
omph wrote:maybe this is an example of a strong third-world government excersising its power to reform quickly when needed?
did you just call Canada "third-world" ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
A Thing of Eternity

SandRider wrote:sorry, got to do this :
omph wrote:maybe this is an example of a strong third-world government excersising its power to reform quickly when needed?
I saw that and then forgot to respond to it...

YEAH?! Did you just call Canada third-world? I thinks you may be using the term a tinsy bit wrongly. :wink:
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

LOL@Third world

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have infrastructure, democracy, and all the rest up here, what about you guys?

:P
A Thing of Eternity

Drunken Idaho wrote:LOL@Third world

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have infrastructure, democracy, and all the rest up here, what about you guys?

:P
I just tested the tap and water was indeed flowing, I think that's a good sign. :wink:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Oh, come now. Everyone knows it's all seals and igloos up here. No need to play coy :)
A Thing of Eternity

GamePlayer wrote:Oh, come now. Everyone knows it's all seals and igloos up here. No need to play coy :)
Did you see that episode of "Talking to Americans" where Rick Mercer convinced a bunch of people that our parliment building is a giant igloo in danger of melting? :lol:

I love that guy.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Yeah, Mercer is great :)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandRider wrote:sorry, got to do this :
Oops! :oops: Wish I could say that was a fat-finger, but its obviously a product of a non-working mind. Of coruse I meant first world.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Hey, I don't think it's third world. I love our northern states! ;)
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

America's Attic: You often forget its up there, but when you remember and go, you find that its loaded with cool stuff!

Goodnight Golden Path!
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

"Global Warming could potentially cause the polar ice cap above canada to split in two, making Canada bi-polar..."

- Rick Mercer, Talking to Americans
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Baraka Bryan wrote:"Congratulations Canada on legalizing staplers" :lol:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=FFQlIUWOm1A it's in 4 parts
NICE! I forgot they did a whole special on this...

"Congratulations Canada on preserving your National Igloo."

- Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee
A Thing of Eternity

Talking to Americans:

"... our Canadian neighbors to the South" was one of my all time favorites. :lol:

Or that time he went to Harvard and had the students and professors saying all kinds of ridiculous things. "Prime Minister John Poutine"! :lol:

So many memories... to be fair some of the questions he asked were asking a bit much of foreigners, I don't know the locations of all the US states myself, so when he convinces someone that there's a baby seal hunt in Saskatchewan I'm not laughing as hard as I am at stuff like "Canada to the South".
Last edited by A Thing of Eternity on 03 Dec 2008 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
A Thing of Eternity

Baraka Bryan wrote:true... it's great where the kid says "wait, Canada has provinces!"
I remember that one. :D It's great when the kids outsmart the adults.

I always wondered how many people he had to film just to find ones that gave such monumentally stupid answers. Tens, Hundreds?
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

It's just for a laugh. I bet you could do "Talking to Canadians" and get a bunch of dumb answers too. It's just not as funny because it doesn't play into the American stereotype. :)
A Thing of Eternity

GamePlayer wrote:It's just for a laugh. I bet you could do "Talking to Canadians" and get a bunch of dumb answers too. It's just not as funny because it doesn't play into the American stereotype. :)
Of course. Every American I've ever met has known that Canada was to the north, and that we don't live in igloos! I've actually only ever met a few people who fit into the "American Stereotype" and most of those people have been Canadians.

Still hilarious though!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Just because it's wrong, doesn't mean it's not hilarious :)
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I tried to find the sexism demotivator, but I couldn't see it online. It's this sexist joke about a math test, with a question featuring a fictional character named Tracey. The student is asked to provide an example why Tracey is wrong. I found the original "math test" picture (and it's funny enough on it's own), but I couldn't find the demotivator (which is far more funny). It goes "Sexism: Just because it's wrong, doesn't mean it's not hilarious" :)
A Thing of Eternity

Just to get back on topic I've decided I am against this coalition. Not because of the Bloc though - I have no problem with a seperatist party. But - as much as I don't like the Conservatives, I really don't agree even with politicians changing parties without the consent of their constituancy (that really is just pissing on your voters in my opinion) so I can't stand for something like this. I like the Bloc, the NDP and the Liberals more than the Conservatives, but this isn't Democratic.

As annoying as it would be, there should either be a vote of non-confidence and a new election, or let the Conservatives run the government. End of story. IMO.