I've decided NOT to buy it

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Nebiros

I've decided NOT to buy it

Post by Nebiros »

I found Paul of Dune in numerous bookstores over the past month. But I ultimately decided NOT to buy them since they were hard covers that would just waste book shelf space. I'm still considering however if I will buy the smaller soft cover in the future.

I'm discouraged from buying the book after the horrible Sandworms sequel. I know that there is no Norma in Paul of Dune, but since I read all of the new Dune books, I noticed how it got progressively worse. The House trilogy was great, the Legends trilogy was ok but a little weird, Hunters was ok but it was followed by the horrible Sandworms conclusion. So I fear Paul of Dune could be worse than Sandworms of Dune. Plus I'm not sure if the 'interquel' idea is a good one. I'll look through some reviews to decide weather or not to buy the soft cover.

Oh, I also decided not to buy the hard cover because maybe the soft cover in two years or so from now will have a short story added to it! I'm not falling for that marketing scam again!

I've been busy reading another science fiction series recently called Chung Kuo written by David Wingrove.
Frybread

Re: I've decided NOT to buy it

Post by Frybread »

Nebiros wrote:I found Paul of Dune in numerous bookstores over the past month. But I ultimately decided NOT to buy them since they were hard covers that would just waste book shelf space. I'm still considering however if I will buy the smaller soft cover in the future.

I'm discouraged from buying the book after the horrible Sandworms sequel. I know that there is no Norma in Paul of Dune, but since I read all of the new Dune books, I noticed how it got progressively worse. The House trilogy was great, the Legends trilogy was ok but a little weird, Hunters was ok but it was followed by the horrible Sandworms conclusion. So I fear Paul of Dune could be worse than Sandworms of Dune. Plus I'm not sure if the 'interquel' idea is a good one. I'll look through some reviews to decide weather or not to buy the soft cover.

Oh, I also decided not to buy the hard cover because maybe the soft cover in two years or so from now will have a short story added to it! I'm not falling for that marketing scam again!

I've been busy reading another science fiction series recently called Chung Kuo written by David Wingrove.
I borrowed the book from a friend because I did not want to line Comb-over's pockets with my money. So I would suggest borrowing the book or checking it out from your local library before you consider buying it.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Oh no - you're not meant to BUY it: it's shit - Library all the way.

If you do decide buy it (for a sense of completeness and/or to write profanities in the margins) check your local discount bookshops next summer. I'll tell you for free it didn't sell as well as they hoped, a I'm looking forward to picking up a slightly damaged paperback for next to nothing :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

You've made the right decision: never buy anything that will help the HLP.

If you feel compelled to actually read the thing, then just beg, borrow, or steal it. But don't add to the HLP's coffers, please.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Charity shops are good too - at least then someone might benefit from this drivel.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nebby, waste of time and money. And it's damned boring. We've even stopped bitching about it; that in itself should tell you something.

Go look at the Amazon pages for the book (the UK one is the most telling). On the US site, you can tell that the only people reading it are the fanboys and us "haters". Otherwise no one's paying enough attention to bother reviewing or commenting on it.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Sole Man

on Something completely off topic

Post by Sole Man »

Nebrios, I noticed yu jioned on the 23rd...of April.

Anyway, I think you should stab yourself in the shin. That would be less painful than reading the demon book. So I've been told, anyway.

(But igf you like pain, stop by my place. Me and my sadistic girlfriend can do things to you. lots of things)
TheDukester

Re: on Something completely off topic

Post by TheDukester »

Sole Man wrote:(But igf you like pain, stop by my place.
... and be sure to bring a bicycle pump and a patch kit.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

got a screen capture of that ...

Sloey spelled "girlfriend" right.
must be tired and out of breath ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008