The Road (book and soon to be film)

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

GamePlayer
70mm God

The Road (book and soon to be film)

Post by GamePlayer »

I just finished reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I know we've mentioned the book before and I believe someone else might have reviewed it as well (perhaps Omphalos), but I just wanted to add my praise for this novel and briefly share some thoughts about the upcoming film adaptation.

The Road is the first Cormac McCarthy book I've ever read, but it's definitely a damn fine read that has not failed to impress me in the slightest. McCarthy has a somewhat older style of writing and isn't afraid to allow his narrative time to dwell on events or give the reader time to ponder. Much of the action in The Road can almost be described as mundane in a sense, but the ever present dread of the current circumstances (a dead, post-apocalyptic America) turns each corner or encounter into a potential fight against death, regardless of the actual circumstances. This is ever so magnified by the interaction between the two main characters, consisting of a man and his son. The child has a tendency to see things in a fearful light (sometimes justly so) and his uneasy conversations with his father in times of potential crisis magnifies the reader's own apprehension when the story turns tense. McCarthy uses this technique time and again to incredible effect and due to the unique events of each encounter, it never feels dull or repetitive.

Having read The Road and seen Joel and Ethan Cohen's adaptation of McCarthy's No Country For Old Men, I begin to see some of the attraction the Cohen brothers had for the use of space and time in Cormac's books. But while the Cohens achieved mixed results in the medium of film, McCarthy's ability to linger on details and create a sense of tension, awe or morbidity is only a strength in the medium of literature. I can also see the Coen's attraction to McCarthy's style of dialog, which was quite laconic in The Road.

The structure of the novel is perfect; The Road literally takes place on the road through the wasted country side. Though the characters stay at various locations throughout the book, the story maintains the momentum of the journey, even beyond the final page. The focus never leaves the two protagonists and little is known beyond their experiences; the reader isn't even told when the cataclysm hit America or what kind of apocalypse it was (though the ever-present rain-of-ash and bitter cold described in the book strongly suggests some kind of nuclear devastation or meteor impact). As such, like the back cover of the book describes, the two characters are each other's world entire, with only a few spoken tales related between them or the odd flashback of the man remembering his wife. The strength of the love these two have for each other and the closeness they share is palpable throughout the novel. The story is at times heartbreaking, exhilarating and incredibly funny. I can particularly understand the attraction this book may have for new parents or parents of young children, as the boy's dialog can be incredibly humorous in that charming way children speak of the world before fully understanding it.

Enhancing the desolate setting is McCarthy's amazing use of the printed medium. The Road is a full but lean 287 pages with no chapter breaks. This choice of structure beautifully merges with the perpetual travel of the narrative; the journey never stops and thus neither does the book. This structure also makes Cormac's book nearly impossible to set down. Further adding flavor to the style is the informal dialog. McCarthy never utilizes quotations marks to distinguish spoken dialog, achieving a two-fold effect which communicates to the reader this post-apocalyptic world has lost all pretense of formality while also heightening the sense of intimacy between the father and son. The two never even refer to the other by name and remain anonymous.

To some, my description of Cormac's writing may make The Road sound like a loquacious, difficult read. Nothing could be farther from the truth. McCarthy's writing is exquisite in it's accessibility without losing any depth. The dialog may lack traditional speech punctuation, but because there is so little spoken in the book, the reader pays close attention to what little is said. The dialog is also terse for most of the book, so the reader never finds themselves lost due to extended speeches. To my mind, this book may very well set the standard as one of the most dense, yet easily readable fictional books to be published in our decade.

Am I overstating the book? I do have a tendency to do so, but it's just such a joy to experience something when it works on nearly every level and strikes a chord with me as my kind of story. And while this book may tickle the sci-fi fan within me, this is just the kind of book that can appeal to everyone, male and female alike. I'd recommend this book to my younger college buddies as well as my parents and everyone in between with equal confidence.

Now having read the book, I am incredibly curious about the upcoming film adaptation of The Road. Not only does Viggo Mortensen feel like very smart casting for this role, but I am also familiar with the Australian director of The Road, John Hillcoat, through his 2005 film The Proposition. While that film ultimately lacked a sharpness in the editing, the film was a success on nearly every other level from performances to cinematography to style, firmly establishing Hillcoat as a talent worth watching. In particular, The Proposition had atmosphere to burn and anyone who has watched that film and read The Road can see an obvious parallel between the amazing way in which the expansive, barren setting of these two stories is described. To say I believe Hillcoat is a brilliant choice to direct this film adaptation of The Road is an understatement. It makes me very eager to see the result and very hopeful as well (which we all know doesn't happen often with Hollywood films) :)
Last edited by GamePlayer on 27 Nov 2008 14:07, edited 3 times in total.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

I only skimmed over your review, as I am currently in the process of reading it! So far, it's pretty awesome. Hard to put down since there are NO FREAKING CHAPTERS! And the lack of quotation marks was off-putting at first but I've come to like it.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I loved the book! It's one of those few books that has a story so compelling that even months later I still find myself thinking about it. The book was so good, I'm almost afraid to see the movie, once it's made.

I read that Charlize Theron was cast as the wife. That worries me a bit, since she was only in the book for a paragraph or two. I hope the movie focuses on the relationship between the man and the boy.. that is what made the book so intense.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

The father-son relationship is very reminiscent of Lone Wolf and Cub. They also share other similarities, the baby cart=grocery cart, for example. I'll let you delve back into the book to find others.

Rob
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Drunken Idaho
Hurry up and finish reading it so we can geek out about it here :)

Mandy
I agree the worst could always happen, but I wouldn't take Charlize Theron's presence as a bad sign. There were several flashbacks in the book and if all of them are included in the film, that could make for notable screen time in the context of a film, whereas even the totality of her passages don't amount to much in the context of the much larger, more detailed book.

Also keep in mind the nature of film and film marketing, which always attempt to grab audiences by advertising the star power of the cast, a cast filled with actors the Studio's know audiences like to watch in the movies. So Theron's role may be exaggerated by the trailers and marketing releases simply to get asses in the seats. ;)

Robspierre
That similarity was not lost on me. I have actually read Lone Wolf and Cub (gotta love those mini-books), but the stories are very different. The Road is a tale of survival in the absence of everything, rather than a Ronin-style pulp serial tale of vengeance like LWaC.

Little bit of Anime trivia, did you know Ogami and Daigoro appeared in an episode of Samurai Champloo? Pretty funny :)
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I'll be starting it in the next day or two.
Sole Man

on this book

Post by Sole Man »

I noticed that most of the people comenting have some connection to the book. I for one don't, and never will.

I hate that post apocalyspe crap (It just disturbs me) and the one thing I hate even more is the post-apocaclyspe crap wiht some "What we need is family" moral to it. Now, I didn't read your fully reveiw, however I think that's what the meaning is. I could be wrong, however. But I don't really care. this review has caused me to never want to read this book, ever, or anything by the author.

Ya' know, I've decided to call people who post on forums like this (Myself inculded) intelectual idiots.
TheDukester

Re: on this book

Post by TheDukester »

Sole Man wrote:this review has caused me to never want to read this book, ever, or anything by the author.
Yeah, be sure to avoid Cormac McCarthy. There's a genius plan.

Because, you now, they just give away those Pulitzer Prizes. :roll:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Excellent book. Very powerful. I lack the literary skill to adequately
describe my experience reading this book, but there was no avoiding the
emotional suction this story generates. There were times where I wondered
how an author could write something so bleak and hopeless, yet I still couldn't
turn away, even though I wanted to. This story, to me, was about hope and
love, and keeping it front of you in a world devoid and incapable of either. I
hope when my journey is over that it can be said that I had The Fire.

Two scenes are weighing in my mind when the movie comes out. Both are
horrific. Very curious to see how it's handled on film.
Last edited by Spicelon on 01 Dec 2008 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Spicelon wrote:Two scenes are weighing in my mind when the movie comes out. Both are
horrific. Very curious to see how it's handled on film.
"Chestnuts roasting on an open fire..."

I know exactly the scenes to which you're referring. I'm hopeful they have guts with the material and adapt those sections properly. They are very important to the story.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Spicelon wrote:There were times where I wondered
how an author could write something so bleak hopeless, yet I still couldn't
turn away, even though I wanted to.
Years and years of practice. Check out his other books.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Interesting, I read the book and thought it was pompous crap. Overcelebrated imho. I haven't read anything else by McCarthy, but if that's his style of writing for his other work I don't think i'll enjoy them. I still need to see No Country for Old Men, i have it recorded on the DVR since we got free movie channels this weekend.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Can't please everyone :)
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Ampoliros wrote:Interesting, I read the book and thought it was pompous crap. Overcelebrated imho. I haven't read anything else by McCarthy, but if that's his style of writing for his other work I don't think i'll enjoy them. I still need to see No Country for Old Men, i have it recorded on the DVR since we got free movie channels this weekend.
The Road is NOT indicative of McCarthy's overall writing style. At least I don't think so.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

McCarthy has the ability to say volumes with very little. Also for an easterner he does an excellent job of capturing the southwest. He is not one for melodrama. Read All the Pretty Horses, that is one burly book. It takes a little extra work to dig beneath the surface of his books but they reward you for the effort.

Rob
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

I finally finished it, and oh man, what a great book.

Gotta love that feeling of utter hopelessness that's almost ever-present in this novel. So bleak and dark. The first act did a great job of communicating the dull gray darkness of their world. I think I might read some more McCarthy soon, which reminds me of this monologue by Tommy Lee Jones' character in No Country for Old Men:
McCarthy wrote:The second one, it was like we was both back in older times and I was on horseback goin' through the mountains of a night. Goin' through this pass in the mountains. It was cold and there was snow on the ground and he rode past me and kept on goin'. Never said nothin' goin' by. He just rode on past... and he had his blanket wrapped around him and his head down and when he rode past I seen he was carryin' fire in a horn the way people used to do and I could see the horn from the light inside of it. 'Bout the color of the moon. And in the dream I knew that he was goin' on ahead and he was fixin' to make a fire somewhere out there in all that dark and all that cold, and I knew that whenever I got there he would be there. And then I woke up.
Doesn't this passage just scream The Road? I don't know if this is original dialoque or if the Coen brothers added it, but I think one might be referencing the other. And speaking of Coen brothers,
GP wrote:But while the Cohens achieved mixed results in the medium of film...
Huh??? Sorry, I thought it was common knowledge that the Coens are geniuses... Fargo, Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou, Burn After Reading, just to name a few great films. Meh, to each his own.

Anyway, let's not get derailed. I wanted to get your thoughts on the dude in the end who asked the boy to come with him. Did you get the feeling that he had been tracking them for a long time? He seemed to suggest that he knew how far they had travelled ("I don't know how you even made it this far..." and also "there was some debate as to whether to help you or not"). I started thinking about this, and I remembered back in the middle of the book when The Man talked about dark nights in the woods where he'd seen a distant, indistinguishable glow. Remember that? Maybe it was the dude checking in on them periodically.

Also, why don't we discuss what we think caused all the devastation? the novel never explicitly says (yet somehow makes it abundantly clear) that there was some nuclear catastrophe. But if you consider the way everything became burned, and the lack of radiation poisoning, then it makes you doubt it. Any thoughts?
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

The Big Lebowky is one of my favorites.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Drunken Idaho wrote: Also, why don't we discuss what we think caused all the devastation? the novel never explicitly says (yet somehow makes it abundantly clear) that there was some nuclear catastrophe. But if you consider the way everything became burned, and the lack of radiation poisoning, then it makes you doubt it. Any thoughts?
I think it might have been caused by an asteroid/comet strike. That would explain why everything was burned, plus the ash in the atmosphere could cause a massive decrease in the temperature.

Oh, and I heard Burn After Reading wasn't very good.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Mandy wrote:Oh, and I heard Burn After Reading wasn't very good.
Did you burn it?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I just saw Burn After Reading. It was not too bad. It has a stupid name, and its a very cynical take on middle aged married people, but it was not bad. Pitt had more personality than usual, Clooney's character was funny as hell, and Francis McDormand (sp?) was excellent, as usual. Malkovich forged no new trails, but his character did evolve (or rather devolve) a bit.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Drunken Idaho wrote:I finally finished it, and oh man, what a great book.

Gotta love that feeling of utter hopelessness that's almost ever-present in this novel. So bleak and dark. The first act did a great job of communicating the dull gray darkness of their world. I think I might read some more McCarthy soon, which reminds me of this monologue by Tommy Lee Jones' character in No Country for Old Men:
McCarthy wrote:The second one, it was like we was both back in older times and I was on horseback goin' through the mountains of a night. Goin' through this pass in the mountains. It was cold and there was snow on the ground and he rode past me and kept on goin'. Never said nothin' goin' by. He just rode on past... and he had his blanket wrapped around him and his head down and when he rode past I seen he was carryin' fire in a horn the way people used to do and I could see the horn from the light inside of it. 'Bout the color of the moon. And in the dream I knew that he was goin' on ahead and he was fixin' to make a fire somewhere out there in all that dark and all that cold, and I knew that whenever I got there he would be there. And then I woke up.
Doesn't this passage just scream The Road? I don't know if this is original dialoque or if the Coen brothers added it, but I think one might be referencing the other. And speaking of Coen brothers,
GP wrote:But while the Cohens achieved mixed results in the medium of film...
Huh??? Sorry, I thought it was common knowledge that the Coens are geniuses... Fargo, Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou, Burn After Reading, just to name a few great films. Meh, to each his own.

Anyway, let's not get derailed. I wanted to get your thoughts on the dude in the end who asked the boy to come with him. Did you get the feeling that he had been tracking them for a long time? He seemed to suggest that he knew how far they had travelled ("I don't know how you even made it this far..." and also "there was some debate as to whether to help you or not"). I started thinking about this, and I remembered back in the middle of the book when The Man talked about dark nights in the woods where he'd seen a distant, indistinguishable glow. Remember that? Maybe it was the dude checking in on them periodically.

Also, why don't we discuss what we think caused all the devastation? the novel never explicitly says (yet somehow makes it abundantly clear) that there was some nuclear catastrophe. But if you consider the way everything became burned, and the lack of radiation poisoning, then it makes you doubt it. Any thoughts?
Awesome! I'm so glad you loved it!

Yes, I loved the oppressive doom the novel created for the characters. It was this constant threat which so brilliantly contrasted the love the characters had for each other and made those emotional moments all the more potent.

I like plenty of the Cohen brothers work, but even like my most favoured directors, they can't make a score with every shot at the net. I felt No Country For Old Men was very good on several levels, but ultimately was hurt by some pacing in the middle and the end. Needless to say, Javier Bardem get's my vote for the role of the Terminator in a decent remake. Utterly enthralling and menacing performance if ever there was one.

Work is over for the day so I gotta leave now, but I'll reply to your stuff as soon as I get a chance later this evening (or tomorrow morning if I can't get to it tonight).
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Omphalos wrote:I just saw Burn After Reading. It was not too bad. It has a stupid name, and its a very cynical take on middle aged married people, but it was not bad. Pitt had more personality than usual, Clooney's character was funny as hell, and Francis McDormand (sp?) was excellent, as usual. Malkovich forged no new trails, but his character did evolve (or rather devolve) a bit.
I thought it was decent - I enjoy pretty much any change from that typical "North American" comedy sometimes. I think I poo'd a little when that guy got shot. :lol:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well. Hell.

There went my impression of you as a guy who would never "poo" himself. :(

:P
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

GamePlayer wrote:I like plenty of the Cohen brothers work,
Who are the Cohens? :P
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:...its a very cynical take on middle aged married people...
How can anyone possibly be cynical about a legal contract on morality?

:wink:

I'd love to see it.
~Pink Snowman