Post your rig! (Computer set up that is)

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I wish this were my rig.
You want a "liquid-cooled" mechanized vagina? :shock:
Now that you mention it.....

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Omphalos wrote:I wish this were my rig.
And here I thought Tricia Helfer, Katee Sackoff and Grace Park in the same picture was the sexiest thing I've ever seen. WOW!
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

All of the fancy kit above makes me a wee bitty reticent of posting details of my abomination, but here goes.

AMD 2800
1 gig a ram
On board sound
ATI 9600 256MB
A nice 16/10 philips panel
Altec desktop speaker

The case cover is always off(not kiddie safe, but the burnt hand and all that) due to a failed fan on the PSU so it whines, just like me. I'd love to share some pics with you but then I'd have to kill meself, so laters on that one :)
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

I'm still in the stone age. :?
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

of course, the text loaded long before the pic.
I was expecting a beige box or something.

thank you, I just spit steak & potatoes all over my rig ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
mielikki
Location: Take a left at Andromeda and aim for the Horsehead Nebulus

Post by mielikki »

Oh, my sainted aunt....there be Macs here.

I'm HOME

I have....

1 20" G5 PPC iMac running OS 10.4
1 17" iMac G4 (iLamp edition) running OS 10.4
1 G5 Intel Mac mini running OS 10.5

All of the above with RAM upgrades... the G5 iMac with a video card upgrade.

annnnnnd a whole bunch of low end Macs, including a still-operational Mac Classic.

Also, some PC laptop that the school board provides for my 14-year-old with Asperger's. Can't remember what it is, but it isn't exciting.

And, because my business requires it... a HP 1157ca laptop that I just bought to replace the HP DV1000 I am presently typing on using an external monitor, because a $40 part blew and HP is being a pack of whiny bitches about providing a part. (by the way, Vista blows)

I think that's it.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Crysknife wrote:Image

I'm still in the stone age. :?
:lol:

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

ImageImage
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
mielikki

Post by mielikki »

I don't get that forum interface.......
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

mielikki wrote:I don't get that forum interface.......
go to profiles and scroll down to "board style." That one is subblack, but there are several others to choose from.

Goodnight Golden Path!
mielikki

Post by mielikki »

why, thank you......
fixed now
trang

Post by trang »

My two main PC's are Identicals I built few years ago Athlon Xp's 2600's with MSI KT3 ULTRA 2C MB, 1.5 GB ram, Gforce FX 5200 256meg Video. Win XP on both. 19 Inch Nokia CRT's.

Mielikki, hail and well might, This is kind of a left field question, but your Screename is the name of a Female Goddess who was Patron to a RP FanTasy Guild I was a member of for quite a few years. Any Chance thats a connection? be kind of interesting. Guild was Brotherhood of Pathfinders.

Thanks,
Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

orald

Post by orald »

I'm going to buy myself a new computer, and since I don't know shit about specs I thought I'd ask here. Fortunately, there's already this here computer thread for my convenience.
I don't have a computer of my own right now, so I'm using my sister's for internet access, and hence won't be able to check in too often(to Chig's delight, I'm all too sure).

Now, what I'm looking for is something that could run current games easily enough and that will continue to do so for the next 5 years or so(well, I don't expect it to run cutting edge games on high settings, but I think you know what I'm aiming for). I'm not really a heavy gamer and I don't buy new games every other month, but my last PC was OK-ish in 2000-01, but was good to just about 2003-04, if I turned settings to low.

My budget is rather limited, about 3000-3500 NIS, maybe a bit more,(I'll give prices in NIS for those specs I can show here, so there won't be any need for conversions to dollars or whatnot) tops for the computer itself.

One thing I'm baffled about is the difference between AMD and Intel processors. I've heard from one salesman that AMD are cheaper, but are they as good? Is Intel just a brand name like Nike or will I have problems with AMD based PC's(oh, and yes, Macs are out of my budget, not to mention not so good for gaming because of compatibility issues anyway)?

Can anyone tell me what are average-to-good specs these days?

Should I invest more in a quad processor or just buy a duel one(or a triple)?

And please excuse me if the specs offered are jumbled or something, I'm copying and translating as best I can:

HP memory 2GB, disk space 320GB HP PAVILION A653
motherboard: Intel® G 33 Express
soundcard: Codec Realtek ALC262 High Definition
processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor E4700
מהירות 2.6GHz
cache(?): 2MB L2 cache
memory: 2048MB=2X1024
memory speed: 667MHz
available memory slots: 2/4
maximum memory capacity: 4GB

IIRC it's got a 9200 GeForce card or something too, they don't give complete specs on their site it would seem.

price: 3350

PC 4 cores(well, I could say quad, I guess) Champion PLATINUM
original Intel processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz 1066Mhz 8MB
original Intel motherboard: Intel® PEARL CREEK G31PR 1333Mhz
main memory: 1024MB DDR II 800Mhz
hard disk: SAMSUNG 160GB 7200RPM SATA II
screen/graphic card: Intel® Graphics Media Acclerator 950
soundcard: Intel® High Definition Audio 5.1 o\b
CD burner: DVD SAMSUNG DVD-RW 18X18
network card: Intel 10\100\1000 o\b
Intel authorised package(?): Midi ATX

Price: 3900

Like I said, it's kinda jumbled and they don't seem to give full, detailed specs on their site. I've got other offers but for lack of time I'll post them later, or I'll try and find some Israeli PC forum for it which will make things easier.

But in the meantime, what do you think a proper computer build to my demands will include?

*Off to work*

P.S I've rented my own appartment 2 weeks ago, but haven't had the time to really look for a better job(well, I gotta say that for a job that requires no degrees, since I have to get some money to get those, it doesn't pay too bad).
And I love you too, Chig.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Baraka Bryan wrote:AMDs tend to run a bit hotter, but nowadays it isn't much of a problem. their advantage is their integrated graphics are typically better due to their partnership with nvidia.
!
One of my rigs is an Asus mobo (Nvidia drivers) with an AMD processor and an Nvida 5600 AGP, the graphics are exceptional.

I've had some problems with the core overheating but I just use a good, big, copper heat sink and a quality fan. You have to be sure to use good thermal compound between the processor die and the heat sink too.

I believe AMD has a video on how to do all that.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
mielikki

Post by mielikki »

trang wrote:
Mielikki, hail and well might, This is kind of a left field question, but your Screename is the name of a Female Goddess who was Patron to a RP FanTasy Guild I was a member of for quite a few years. Any Chance thats a connection? be kind of interesting. Guild was Brotherhood of Pathfinders.

Thanks,
Trang
Mielikki was originally a forest goddess in the Kalevala - which is the Finnish national epic. That is the context I am using it. :D
ibanez_az

Post by ibanez_az »

Dell Dimension E510
Windows XP Media Center Service Pack 3
Pentium 4 3.00 GHz
4.00 GB of RAM
160 GB Hard Drive
20" Flat monitor

Maybe I'll post a picture later today if I have time.
Moe, Larry! The Cheese!
ibanez_az

Post by ibanez_az »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
ibanez_az wrote:Dell Dimension E510
Windows XP Media Center Service Pack 3
Pentium 4 3.00 GHz
4.00 GB of RAM
160 GB Hard Drive
20" Flat monitor

Maybe I'll post a picture later today if I have time.

nice... another P4 3.06 :P
did yours come with only 512MB RAM when you bought it too :P
Yep. I ran 2 GB for a while and thought, what the hell, I have slots for 2 more GB, so why not. I've been told I shouldn't use 4 GB of RAM since this is only a 32 bit system and that it won't run any faster than using 2 GB, but that's not the case. It runs a lot faster since I added the other 2 GB and is pulling (is that the right word, I'm not a techie?) 3.62 GB of RAM.
Moe, Larry! The Cheese!
orald

Post by orald »

Would it be cheaper and better to just make my own build(assuming I knew WTF I should put in one)? There's a store near me that has that option in its website.

I think I'll need to find a Hebrew speaking forum for this though, so I can just link to it and other things. Where's Chig when you need him?
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Whatcha need, my Shoogina?

I was going to recommend you get a MacBook, but I converted your budget and looked around and decided not to waste your time (or make you think of nice things you can't yet have).

I'm seriously appalled that there is no Israeli Apple Store. Nor an Arabic version. There's nothing for the whole bleeding Middle East. I noticed one Israeli on a BBS saying that people order from Denmark or some ridiculously blond place like that. ;) Also that before the tariffs came down, it was cheaper to fly to the States and buy one and bring it back. :shock:

Anyway, I've never put a computer together myself, but I've known people who have and not had serious problems. (But then, they were real geeks and knew what they were doing. ;) ) My relation with my computer is similar to that with my car: I know where to put the key in and turn and how to gas it and put in some oil occasionally and how to change a tire if I really have to, but I'd never imagine I'd know how to put one together.

Sorry.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

My first attempt at building a computer was a complete disaster, luckily I had a knowledgable friend to show me what I did wrong.

You can get a PC way cheaper if you buy from someone like Dell than if put it together yourself.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
You can get a PC way cheaper if you buy from someone like Dell than if put it together yourself.

for sure.. they get the parts so much cheaper from buying in bulk that even with their profit margin you'll save buying a complete product and upgrading something.
That's a good way to learn about building your own.

Get one from Dell or someone like that with a cheap video card or a small hard drive and upgrade it yourself.
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

I love my reasonably priced Dell :P It was cheap when I got it, and now you can get the same or better for cock all... which is always good. The only problem is the rubbish integrated Intel graphics chip.. but that's only really an issue for high-end games: the classics still work and stuff like 3D Studio Max runs fine.

15" Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop
XP Pro SP3
1.86 Ghz Intel Dual Core
2 GB RAM
120 GB HDD (But I have a 500 GB LaCie external)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

DuneFishUK wrote:I love my reasonably priced Dell :P It was cheap when I got it, and now you can get the same or better for cock all... which is always good. The only problem is the rubbish integrated Intel graphics chip.. but that's only really an issue for high-end games: the classics still work and stuff like 3D Studio Max runs fine.
Those onboard intel GPUs suck pond water through a bent straw.
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

It's good enough to run Day of the Tentacle. What more do you need? :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Now THAT is some old school gaming :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."