For The Record

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Frybread wrote:
Seraphan wrote:Lol, on the last pic it says "Many of Kevin's titles are out of print or extremely hard to find". I wonder why... :roll:
Kevin will say it's because they sell so quickly bookstores can't keep them in stock. ;)
Especially in winter, gotta feed the fireplace :lol:
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Seraphan wrote:Lol, on the last pic it says "Many of Kevin's titles are out of print or extremely hard to find".
And don't forget the huge collector's market for Kevin J. Anderson items. I mean, seriously, have you seen some of the prices his stuff goes for on eBay? Those KJA fans are madmen! Madmen, I say! :wink:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Bijaz

Post by Bijaz »

SandChigger wrote:I'm holding onto it, Darling!

:lol:
The expression on Brian's face looks like someone who was goosed but pleasantly surprised...("Oh! Ohhh...") as Kevin looks into the camera with that cheeky smile unaware there's a gap between the book stacks. Oops!
They may take yairrrr Frreedom, but they ken nivverrrr take yairrrr Duuuunnne!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Is Keith really that short or is Brian standing on something ?
(like his father's body ?)
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Bijaz wrote:
SandChigger wrote:I'm holding onto it, Darling!

:lol:
The expression on Brian's face looks like someone who was goosed but pleasantly surprised...("Oh! Ohhh...") as Kevin looks into the camera with that cheeky smile unaware there's a gap between the book stacks. Oops!
he's just pullin the puppet strings
Well, pullin something :D
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Baraka Bryan wrote:he's just pullin the puppet strings
Plural? :shock:

You mean, Brian has more than one?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Bijaz

Post by Bijaz »

SandChigger wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:he's just pullin the puppet strings
Plural? :shock:

You mean, Brian has more than one?
Perhaps the blur of Kevin's hands confused Baraka Bryan :D
They may take yairrrr Frreedom, but they ken nivverrrr take yairrrr Duuuunnne!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

"Is it supposed to be this soft?"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

"I don't like every writer's style; for instance, I have never been able to get through Ursula LeGuin, China Mieville, or Iain Banks, all of whom are critical darlings." —Kevin J. Anderson

+++++

So I'm out today and make a quick stop at the local hole-in-the-wall used book store (interesting place: paperbacks only; no hardbacks allowed). And I'm looking around, feeling the urge to get something but not knowing what, when I remember Chiggy's fabulous signature.

So, thanks, Kevvie! I think I'll see what it is you're so jealous of ... I mean, other than her multiple Hugos and Nebulas and her EIGHTEEN Locus awards.

Oh, BTW, there was an entire row of your books there, Hacky. Along with a faint layer of dust.

"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Kevin J Anderson wrote:I don't like every writer's style; for instance, I have never been able to get through Ursula LeGuin, China Mieville, or Iain Banks, all of whom are critical darlings.
I should add this quote from KJA to my "diagnosis" page. If this guy could come across as any more bitter about his complete lack of talent, he'd have to be wearing a dunce cap :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The problem for Kevvy is, it's not just the critics that love Le Guin, for example.

I forget how old I was when I read A Wizard of Earthsea and the other books in that series, but it remains one of the few fantasy series I have (or will) read. And her science fiction books remain interesting enough for a reread every decade or so. ;)

Unlike Kevvy, Le Guin is an artist in such control of her medium that she can target her audience, writing both fantasy and science fiction, for adults and young adults. Everything Kevvy writes reads like YA fantasy.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Oh, the problems for KJA are just beginning with those authors. Unlike "Kevvy", who still cannot maintain a career without writing dead author exploitation novels, LeGuin, Mieville, and Banks are all successful critically and financially via the creation of their own unique works :)

Poor KJA; he makes it almost too easy to be bashed. Almost :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

SandChigger wrote:
Unlike Kevvy, Le Guin is an artist in such control of her medium that she can target her audience, writing both fantasy and science fiction, for adults and young adults. Everything Kevvy writes reads like YA fantasy.
No, most YA published today is way better than the shit the hack soews forth. Little Brother runs circles around his Dune attempts.

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I stand corrected. ;)
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Le Guin's YA stuff is so good, it's hard to tell it was written for young adults. She writes with the expectation that her readers are smart enough to get it.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Just like FH did.

Why would people read and love a writer that wrote down to them like they were stupid? :?

People too stupid to realize what was happening? :shock:

Hey, SIMON! :P
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Mandy wrote:Le Guin's YA stuff is so good, it's hard to tell it was written for young adults. She writes with the expectation that her readers are smart enough to get it.
All good YA is like that. And there is plenty of it out there.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:
Mandy wrote:Le Guin's YA stuff is so good, it's hard to tell it was written for young adults. She writes with the expectation that her readers are smart enough to get it.
All good YA is like that. And there is plenty of it out there.
Yes there is. In fact I'm finding that more of the YA material published is often superior to the "adult" lines being published. They have plots, strong characterization, follow the rules of the universe they lay down and often are more thought provoking than many adult works.

Rob
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I hadn't noticed a lot of great YA stuff out there. I loved Pullman's His Dark Materials series, and anything Le Guin writes is good. I guess Harry Potter put me off most it, so I don't even look for it.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Try Scott Westerfeld, very science fiction oriented, Little Brother by Cory Doctorow rocks, Sara Ryan and Holly Black are good. Avoid the Twilight books, very poor writing. You do have to wade through some crap, Gossip Girl for example, love the show but the the books are vapid and even more shallow, but I've found on the average the YA offerings are more satisfying right now than the adult published material.

Rob
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Are you talking about Westerfeld's Beauties series? Is that SF?

John C. Wright is supposed to have a winner with his YA fantasy stuff. I personally thought his SF was way, way too complicated, but I liked his short story about the royal court in space. Think it was called Guest Law or something like that.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Mandy wrote:I guess Harry Potter put me off most it, so I don't even look for it.
Sorry, mandy, But I think you are wrong.

I finished reading today the seventh book (Deadly Hallows) and the Harry potter series proved to be one of the best series I ever read (it will never beat my love for Dune, of course). I think there is too much prejudice over Harry potter because of the horrible movies and its fame.

After all these years following the series, I think Harry Potter will always have its prize in the YA literature.
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:
Mandy wrote:I guess Harry Potter put me off most it, so I don't even look for it.

I finished reading today the seventh book (Deadly Hallows) and the Harry potter series proved to be one of the best series I ever read (it will never beat my love for Dune, of course). I think there is too much prejudice over Harry potter because of the horrible movies and its fame.

After all these years following the series, I think Harry Potter will always have its prize in the YA literature.
It does sound like the potter series improves as it progresses - hell Goblet of Fire (IIRC) won a Hugo Award :shock: I only tried to read the first one - which I thought was terrible... and the first film is a contender for my worst film ever, as is the second one. After that, the films are actually pretty watchable - and sometimes quite good.

The only "YA" books I'm aware of reading are Heinlein's juveniles :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I thought the Harry Potter series got worse as it progressed. I only made it though the first 4, before giving up. You have to understand, though, I'm old, the teen angst stuff doesn't appeal to me.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

DuneFishUK wrote:
Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:

It does sound like the potter series improves as it progresses - hell Goblet of Fire (IIRC) won a Hugo Award :shock: I only tried to read the first one - which I thought was terrible... and the first film is a contender for my worst film ever, as is the second one. After that, the films are actually pretty watchable - and sometimes quite good.

The only "YA" books I'm aware of reading are Heinlein's juveniles :)
Whoa whoa whoa! The forth one won a Hugo?! Are you serious?! I read it when i was younger and soon after i couldnt remeber 15% of it.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood