Rural Broadband : here we go again ......

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

SandRider
Watermaster

Rural Broadband : here we go again ......

Post by SandRider »

................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Hmm, I'm all for it as long as Net Neutrality remains safe.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Hmmm. I thought all UHF and VHF bandwidth was going to the military.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

FCC clears Google-backed plan on airwaves use (Reuters)
Posted on Tue Nov 4, 2008 6:07PM EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Federal Communications Commission on Tuesday approved a plan sought by tech companies like Google Inc and Microsoft Inc to open soon-to-be-vacant television airwaves to new wireless devices.

The five-member FCC voted to open unlicensed pockets of the spectrum known as white space that will become available when U.S. broadcasters are required to move to digital television next year.

Companies like Google and Microsoft, as well as consumer groups, said access to the white space airwaves would encourage innovation in cellular telephones and wireless devices, much as WiFi did.

"Let's hope it's not just Wi-Fi on steroids but Wi-Fi on amphetamines," FCC Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein said.

FCC commissioner Deborah Taylor Tate dissented in part, saying she preferred a more formal process to deal with interference issues.

Traditional broadcasters such as Walt Disney Inc's ABC, General Electric's NBC, CBS Corp and even country singer Dolly Parton opposed the plan. They said signals sent over that part of the spectrum could cause interference with broadcasts or wireless microphones at live productions.

A broadcasters' group, Maximum Service Television, said the decision "imperils American's television reception in order to satisfy the "free" spectrum demands of Google and Microsoft."

The FCC sided with the tech companies and consumer groups after two rounds of testing the devices. An agency engineering report released several weeks ago said the spectrum could be used without causing harmful interference.

Harold Feld, senior vice president at the consumer group Media Access Project, said the vote will lead to expanded investment in broadband and other technologies.

"Motorola, Google and Microsoft have invested five years and millions of dollars to get this approved," Feld said. "The people that made those decisions are going to show they made good decisions."

The bi-partisan vote by three Republican and two Democratic FCC voting members signals that greater access to white space will move forward regardless of whether Republican John McCain or Democrat Barack Obama wins the presidency, said Ben Scott, policy director of the advocacy group Free Press.

Republicans back white space access as a free-market approach, while Democrats like that it improves affordability and is pro-consumer, Scott said. "No matter who is president, this white space policy will be expanded upon," he said.

The decision "will allow the marketplace to produce new devices and new applications that we can't even imagine today," Republican Commissioner Robert McDowell said.

The order requires both fixed and portable devices to be capable of sensing television stations and wireless microphones and that those devices be registered in an FCC database.
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

The decision "will allow the marketplace to produce new devices and new applications that we can't even imagine today," Republican Commissioner Robert McDowell said.
"Let's hope it's not just Wi-Fi on steroids but Wi-Fi on amphetamines," FCC Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein said.
What a wonderful insight these qoutes show.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

inhuien wrote:
What a wonderful insight these qoutes show.
Let's hope it's like Wi-Fi on a spice-trip. Prescient internet!!!!
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Oh, wow.. this means I might actually get a broadband connection someday? I'll be able to watch YouTube videos!
Pansyass

Post by Pansyass »

crime.
Mandy wrote:Oh, wow.. this means I might actually get a broadband connection someday? I'll be able to watch YouTube videos!
I thought everyone had access to broadband! I live way out and I have it.
Last edited by Pansyass on 23 Dec 2008 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Jean Marai wrote:
Mandy wrote:Oh, wow.. this means I might actually get a broadband connection someday? I'll be able to watch YouTube videos!
crime.
connected how ? cable ? Verizon landline ? Satellite ? Wireless ?

and what do you define as "Way Out" ?
ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Jayzus taking the wheel? :D

Oh.... :oops:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Down ! Down you little monster!

Sit ! Stay !
Stay....

Good Chigger !
ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Woof? :shock:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Jean Marai wrote:
crime.
No, I have DSL which has speeds lower than broadband and I'm 15 miles from the nearest place with broadband and cannot get it. it all depends on if the providers used the money from congress to actually add broadband access to rural areas like they were suppose to or if they fucked off with the money.

Rob
Pansyass

Post by Pansyass »

SandRider wrote:
Jean Marai wrote:
crime.
connected how ? cable ? Verizon landline ? Satellite ? Wireless ?
I don't know.

and what do you define as "Way Out" ?
2 thumpers out from the city.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

DSL ends about a mile south of here here, and then starts up again a mile or two north. Florida is weird like that, lots of little rural areas and the trees block a lot of wireless signals. Well, I think it's the tree's fault.