A "bestseller "no more!

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Okay, I admit it: I'm relieved that Paula didn't somehow sneak back on the NYT list:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/09/books ... ction.html

I've been afraid to check the Nov. 9 listing. I figured it would be just like KJA to rise back up after he's been kicked to the ground. Evil often does that.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Funny...you've been worrying about that, too? :?

I'm hoping the Church no longer has the $$$ to mount a buying spree.

And yeah, it would be just like the pissy-assed little SOB to gloat and gloat over something like that as he "kept writing the novels, and kept writing them". :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Simon

Post by Simon »

I would think that it's disappearance doesn't signify as much as you guys might hope. Many books pop on and of the bestseller list, just getting there is a feat. Especially I would think for a book which is sequel number 14 in the series...

Anyone have a listing of how long each respective Dune book remained a bestseller?
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Simon wrote:I would think that it's disappearance doesn't signify as much as you guys might hope.
And I would think that you're wrong.

Again, compare it the expectations, the marketing campaign, the pre-release hype, and the whole "direct sequel to Dune!" nonsense. Spending a pathetic one week on the only part of the NYT list that counts is a woeful performance.

Keep trying to spin it into something positive, though. Free entertainment is hard to come by these days.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I'm not familiar with the literary scoring system, "starred reviews", the importance of various bestseller list and what have you. I guess time will tell but considering the contracted books and the talk I hear about a "Great Schools" series of books being planned for the future it doesn't seem like it's a big deal (at least as far as the continued production of new books goes).
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Well, this country's celebration of mediocrity is well-documented.

If I were KJA, though, I'd lock in a long contract if I could. Because when sales for the remaining Heroes series fall right on their ass — and when Dune 2010 bombs like its attacking Pearl Harbor — even the terminally stupid HLP will wake up and take notice.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I don't think the movie will ever meet Dune fan expectation.

I thought the LotR (film) was fairly book accurate but I've come to understand that hardcore LotR fans say "not" on that one. Dune, at best, will probably end up the same way, pleasing to the public but lacking for the Dunester.

My not being a huge LotR fan can look at the films and just enjoy them for what they are. For Dune films it's always more involved with me. If they cut a scene, I notice (only thing I noticed missing from LotR first time out was Tom Bombadille, and YES I probably spelled his name wrong! :lol:). So I'm not expecting an immaculate unchallenged master work where Dune film is concerned, I can only hope it's not another "Lynching". I hope Berg understands the need for a strong visualization of DUNE (as Jackson understood for LotR), that's really the only thing that gives Lynch's version any merit, it's visual conceptualization.

I really wish they'd have given it to Ridley Scott. :(
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

One thing about Dune: it's not a story that can be told with a two- or three-hour running time.

The smartest thing Jackson ever did was insist that LotR had to be made as multiple movies (I think he actually would have settled for two when the negotiations began). Jackson says he was ready to walk away if New Line wouldn't agree, and I believe him.

Not that I have a lot of faith in Dune 2010 to begin with, but it is even more doomed by the very nature of its limited running time.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Exactly (three separate films would have been ideal), that's why I feel an excellent look to the film is a must.

If nothing else it should be a gleaming calling card inviting the uninitiated to read Frank Herbert's DUNE.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Sorry, Freak. Have to do some name-calling. Just have to. No choice.
SimpleSimon wrote:Especially I would think for a book which is sequel number 14 in the series...
Not only are you ugly as Sin itself, you cannot count. Asshole.

now, back to civility:
& Duke wrote:The smartest thing Jackson ever did was insist that LotR had to be made as multiple movies (I think he actually would have settled for two when the negotiations began). Jackson says he was ready to walk away if New Line wouldn't agree, and I believe him.
The Tolkien Estate insisted on the entire Lord of the Rings story being told, however Jackson
thought it best done. They had been badly burned in the late 70s with the animated movie that
went about halfway thru The Two Towers. The remaining film was never made; one of the
reasons it took another 15 years or so to approve another attempt.

As with Christopher Tolkien and the way he published his father's unfinished work and notes, the
care, love and respect the Tolkien Estate has shown with the work in which they were entrusted
should be the model for the HLP.

But they're assholes, too.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Simon

Post by Simon »

SandRider wrote:Sorry, Freak. Have to do some name-calling. Just have to. No choice.
SimpleSimon wrote:Especially I would think for a book which is sequel number 14 in the series...
Not only are you ugly as Sin itself, you cannot count. Asshole.

now, back to civility:
& Duke wrote:The smartest thing Jackson ever did was insist that LotR had to be made as multiple movies (I think he actually would have settled for two when the negotiations began). Jackson says he was ready to walk away if New Line wouldn't agree, and I believe him.
The Tolkien Estate insisted on the entire Lord of the Rings story being told, however Jackson
thought it best done. They had been badly burned in the late 70s with the animated movie that
went about halfway thru The Two Towers. The remaining film was never made; one of the
reasons it took another 15 years or so to approve another attempt.

As with Christopher Tolkien and the way he published his father's unfinished work and notes, the
care, love and respect the Tolkien Estate has shown with the work in which they were entrusted
should be the model for the HLP.

But they're assholes, too.
14 sequels, "DUNE" isn't a sequel. :roll:
Last edited by Simon on 04 Nov 2008 01:59, edited 1 time in total.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

read all the recent posts, simon.
we're not playing that game anymore.
Kevin has shit out nine books with "Dune" on the cover.
They are in fact, Star Wars sequels.

Frank wrote The Six. Shut the fuck up.

edit:
and stop editing you posts to try and make you look
less foolish - you wrote it, you posted it, you stand by it.
Last edited by SandRider on 04 Nov 2008 02:00, edited 1 time in total.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Simon

Post by Simon »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Awwwww someone is grumpy!
Simon

Post by Simon »

This must be that high end "maturity" I can expect with my old age! :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

I think I stuck by my original post pretty well,

Still making fun of you for being old a rude: check

Still laughing at you: check

Nope were all good here!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

No need for the consecutive posts mere minutes apart, especially since they are all basically the same thought. Just edit the first post.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Stop hitting the damn submit button before you are done typing. :P

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

But how else can we get our post-counts
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

up?
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

:idea:
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

:D
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

:im with  stupid: :beat dead horse: :post whore:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

:roll:

:D

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Cut it out! I'm all set to do a rematch post count with DN around the 9th and I want to be able to at least pretend that a sizable percentage of our posts are on topic!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Cut it out! I'm all set to do a rematch post count with DN around the 9th and I want to be able to at least pretend that a sizable percentage of our posts are on topic!
Like theirs are?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman