http://chiggerblog.hairyticksofdune.net/blog/?p=252
http://www.bloggernews.net/118599
http://www.andrewiandodge.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Gathering-Dark-ot ... 312&sr=1-3
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/searc ... an%20Dodge

I've not participated in the Amazon Reviews because I've never bought
anything from Amazon and have no desire to - however, this guy
might be worth it.....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

SandRider wrote:
Lundse wrote:Any movement which needs a whipping-boy is fucking sad. End of discussion!
whipping-boys and scapegoats are common elements of all political movements. make no mistake, this is a political activity you are engaged in, albeit in the realm of American Literature. Same rules apply.
I do not care one whiff how common it is. Needing to put someone else down for personal, political or whatever reason is still wrong and kind of pathetic.

I realize you and chigger are having fun with this - I am just pointing out that you are also harming the atmosphere of discussion. Not just for the guy you have (without consensus from the other, regular board members) appointed a dipshit, or whatever; but also for those who wish to have a reasoned debate with him (that's me) and those he might report, truthfully, to that this place is closed to anyone who does not vehemently hate the prequels.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

You keep bringing up this desire to "debate" Simon, then implying we're all part of some big conspiracy to prevent it from happening. That's absurd.

If you want to debate with him, then do it. What exactly is stopping you?

You could debate here, publicly
You could debate here, via PM

You could debate at DN, publicly
You could debate at DN, via PM

You could debate at another Dune site, publicly
You could debate at another Dune site, via PM

You could debate using AIM
You could debate using Google Chat
You could debate using one of the many other free IM services
You could debate using goofy widgets such as Meebo or Gabbly

You could debate using email
You could debate at social networking site such as Facebook

There's 12 ideas, off the top of my head. Seriously, you guys should set a time and a place and just go for it. I truly don't see how anyone here could possibly get in your way.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Lundse wrote: (without consensus from the other, regular board members) appointed a dipshit, or whatever
Lundse since when did this forums members need the consensus of other forum members to express an opinion? This is a collection of individuals not a fucking committee.
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

Lundse wrote:
SandRider wrote:
Lundse wrote:Any movement which needs a whipping-boy is fucking sad. End of discussion!
whipping-boys and scapegoats are common elements of all political movements. make no mistake, this is a political activity you are engaged in, albeit in the realm of American Literature. Same rules apply.
I do not care one whiff how common it is. Needing to put someone else down for personal, political or whatever reason is still wrong and kind of pathetic.

I realize you and chigger are having fun with this - I am just pointing out that you are also harming the atmosphere of discussion. Not just for the guy you have (without consensus from the other, regular board members) appointed a dipshit, or whatever; but also for those who wish to have a reasoned debate with him (that's me) and those he might report, truthfully, to that this place is closed to anyone who does not vehemently hate the prequels.
I don't see what the problem is. If you don't like what SC and others are saying then just ignore them, which also is what Simon can do. You two can still have debates but just ignore what else is posted in your thread/s/.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Thank you, Dukester. Well said.

This is the internet and unlike the real world, everyone here at Jacurutu has the option of ignoring absolutely everyone except the person they're talking to. I know this may come as a shock to some people who can't resist pressing that REPLY button in the hope a pellet will fall down the chute, but the reality is the power to ignore is in your hands.

Learn some self control before blaming everyone else for your problems.
TheDukester wrote:You keep bringing up this desire to "debate" Simon, then implying we're all part of some big conspiracy to prevent it from happening. That's absurd.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

Frybread wrote:I don't see what the problem is. If you don't like what SC and others are saying then just ignore them, which also is what Simon can do. You two can still have debates but just ignore what else is posted in your thread/s/.
True. If Simon is fine with constantly having to ignore attacks (which may also contain something which looks like new argumentation that he feels he then has to respond to...)
I maintain that it is a problem that a discussion board has an atmosphere which inhibits discussion.

inhuien wrote:
Lundse wrote: (without consensus from the other, regular board members) appointed a dipshit, or whatever
Lundse since when did this forums members need the consensus of other forum members to express an opinion? This is a collection of individuals not a fucking committee.
I am not saying you need a consensus to express your opinion. The point was that you do not have my assent to ruin my discussions - when you judge someone, and proceed to nag him, this has an effect on the rest of us.
I am merely requesting that we, on this discussion board, try to foster an atmosphere which encourages discussion.

TheDukester wrote:You keep bringing up this desire to "debate" Simon, then implying we're all part of some big conspiracy to prevent it from happening. That's absurd.

If you want to debate with him, then do it. What exactly is stopping you?
I never said it was a conspiracy or any kind of orchestrated effort!
Merely that the net effect of some people's continued harassment of Simon is that he does not wish to use the discussion board for discussion.

I am debating with Simon, for your information. The point is not whether this specific instance of communication will succeed, but that we are, I presume against the original intention, creating a discussion board which does not foster discussions.

Sure I could go elsewhere, but the whole point of this place is for Dune fans to meet and discuss Dune.
Me and Simon are trying to do that.
Some people are obstructing it - and have succeeded to the degree that Simon no longer, for entirely understandable reasons, does not wish to have that discussion in public - at a net loss to the discussion board.

This is what I am complaining about - the damage done to jacurutu. Simon and I will live, don't worry.

I have said on DN that people could come here to escape censorship and freely discuss Dune and their points. I am sorry if that means they have to endure constant nagging instead, and that I have been lying to them...
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Actually, if Simon learned how to ignore and some members just attacked him for the sake of being trolls, it wouldn't be long before he found many of us coming down hard on the trolls.

But as long as he allows himself to be strung along and so long as he fails to resist his urges to take shots at the membership here (remind anyone of a certain "author"?), he'll get the abuse he deserves.
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

GamePlayer wrote:Actually, if Simon learned how to ignore and some members just attacked him for the sake of being trolls, it wouldn't be long before he found many of us coming down hard on the trolls.

But as long as he allows himself to be strung along and so long as he fails to resist his urges to take shots at the membership here (remind anyone of a certain "author"?), he'll get the abuse he deserves.
I agree, he could handle it better. I would just wish the abuse (deserved or not) could stay in the 'taking potshots at each other'-threads...
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Lundse wrote:
inhuien wrote:
I am not saying you need a consensus to express your opinion. The point was that you do not have my assent to ruin my discussions - when you judge someone, and proceed to nag him, this has an effect on the rest of us.
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume when you use the word "you" (see above) you're not meaning me. Or are you, please do tell. :/
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Lundse, I'll agree with most of what you've been saying,
and I can understand your point in general, and adjust
my behavior accordingly in the future.

Specifically, tho, you're assuming Simon has some kind of value,
to this site or to the Dune discussion in general.

I've seen zero evidence of this so far, here or Over There.
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

inhuien wrote:
Lundse wrote:I am not saying you need a consensus to express your opinion. The point was that you do not have my assent to ruin my discussions - when you judge someone, and proceed to nag him, this has an effect on the rest of us.
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume when you use the word "you" (see above) you're not meaning me. Or are you, please do tell. :/
It was the general 'you' as in 'you do not need a consensus to...' (same as 'one does not need a consensus to...') - sorry for the muddled language.

I am also guilty of thinking too much in terms of 'you' (plural) and 'me' - as if everyone but me belongs to the same school of thinking. Is that a general human thing, philosophy thing or just me... :-)

Anyways, sorry for the confusion - I did not mean you and I take the plural back. I meant and mean 'people in general'.
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

SandRider wrote:Lundse, I'll agree with most of what you've been saying,
and I can understand your point in general, and adjust
my behavior accordingly in the future.

Specifically, tho, you're assuming Simon has some kind of value,
to this site or to the Dune discussion in general.

I've seen zero evidence of this so far, here or Over There.
Thanks - that is mighty mature of you.

Simon's value to the appreciation of Dune remains to be seen (his drawings are pretty cool, mostly), and maybe the hostility on both sides is too great for him to become any kind of participating member on this board. Who knows?

I will let you know if he manages to convince me, though :-)
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Lundse wrote:I agree, he could handle it better. I would just wish the abuse (deserved or not) could stay in the 'taking potshots at each other'-threads...
Surely an impossible task on a board like Jacurutu, which has turned thread derailment into the official sport :)
Well, I suggest Simon tries a cease fire and go from there. If it doesn't work, let's just blame SandChigger, because we all know he's at fault for...something :) :P
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

GamePlayer wrote:
Lundse wrote:I agree, he could handle it better. I would just wish the abuse (deserved or not) could stay in the 'taking potshots at each other'-threads...
Surely an impossible task on a board like Jacurutu, which has turned thread derailment into the official sport :)
Well, I suggest Simon tries a cease fire and go from there. If it doesn't work, let's just blame SandChigger, because we all know he's at fault for...something :) :P

Didn't we agree SC was the Byron sock-puppet a while back?

(You get 4 points for that derailment :-) )
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

no, Merritt's sockpuppet over here was the BeardedKirklander.
ImageImage

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandRider wrote:no, Merritt's sockpuppet over here was the BeardedKirklander.
Oh, man, that's right ... what an episode that was.

"Hello there! Here's a random post, and ... Oh, God! You're all being so mean! Everything they say about this place is true! I'm so very disappointed! What's a sock-puppet?"

Anyone else notice he hasn't been posting anything at either location lately? Byron must have figured it was easier just to use one account.

ImageImageImage
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Oh yeah, good ole BK. The guy went from zero to appalled in less time than it took him to prematurely ejaculate. He had "plant" written all over him :)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SandRider wrote:I can ... adjust my behavior accordingly in the future.
Oh thou fawning milk-livered maggot pie! I thought thee made of stuff more stern! Ah well. :P

But yes, do blame me and amuse yourselves while waiting for Goode Simon Reader to finish annotatin'. :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

The complaints I have heard of you I do not all believe; 'tis my slowness that I do not,
for I know you lack not folly to commit them and have ability enough to make such knaveries yours.

{edit}
When good manners shall lie all in one or two man's hands and they unwashed too, tis a foul thing.
ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I, Good Sir Mooncalf, claim my knaveries but shew them only
In their fullness. But distress not thyself over such as that,
O fusty motley-minded scut.

(Perchance, I wonder, was I among the members here alone—
When reading of hands ... unwashed and things most foul—
Reminded of those words penned by The Lover of Chani
Regarding that member of thine?)
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

yeah, you irritating cocksucker, I knew you'd be right back,
and me all out of real Shakespeare quotes....

you win this round, tick.
ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

All cocks what crow
I'll have you know
Have ne'er given suck
To this bug
. ;)
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

dude, I really can't play with you any more tonight.
It's 12:30am back here in The World, and I got an 8am
with another orthosurgeon in the morning ....

"Pain don't hurt."
ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

You REAL WORLD people are just so lame sometimes.

:shock:

Um...never mind....

(It does if'n you laugh!)