Ethnicity & Nationality

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandRider
Watermaster

Re: Ethnicity & Nationality

Post by SandRider »

I'd say that without doing your own extensive genealogical research, you can't say for certain what your "roots" are;
you can't take your grandparents' word for it, alot of them don't know their own true heritage ... Daddy kept saying
we were "Black Irish" because his daddy always said that ... and depending on which definition you want to to apply
to that term, it is both possible and ludicrous to call Ulster-scots "Black Irish" ....

and to all of you : DO NOT give your money to ancestry.com

the LDS site is finally up and running good, with more actual downloadable images of documents and a better
indexed database than ancestry ever had, without that site's bloated, spammy, slow-loading pages ... and it's free ...

https://www.familysearch.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Eyes High wrote:
SandRider wrote:you're not Irish, you are Ulster-Scot .... as are the vast majority of white folk from the South ...
So what do you call French and Irish with a dash of English and Native-American (unsure of the tribe at this time) thrown in?
Horny???? :shifty:

Rob
Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

SandRider wrote:I'd say that without doing your own extensive genealogical research, you can't say for certain what your "roots" are;
you can't take your grandparents' word for it, alot of them don't know their own true heritage ... Daddy kept saying
we were "Black Irish" because his daddy always said that ... and depending on which definition you want to to apply
to that term, it is both possible and ludicrous to call Ulster-scots "Black Irish" ....

the LDS site is finally up and running good, with more actual downloadable images of documents and a better
indexed database than ancestry ever had, without that site's bloated, spammy, slow-loading pages ... and it's free ...

I have cousins who are Mormons. Their genealogy is usually quite good, but I really object to their practise of baptising family members after their death. I think both my Mom and my Dad were treated in this way. Not that it makes a bit of difference, in the larger scale of things - but I can't help feeling that it's taking a bloody liberty to baptise someone into a religion without their consent.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

this has to do with the different levels of the Mormon Heaven .... only those "sealed to the church" can gain admittance to the highest level,
where all the Latter Day Saints will be ... this lead to the extensive genealogical work started by the LDS church, to be able to "seal" all their
ancestors to the church, to allow them to attain the highest level and reside in the everlasting with their Saint-family ...

while a bunch of horseshit, the positive spin-off is that them Mormon Ladies have taken the family tree thing damn-serious for
about 150 years, and have a whole lotta information indexed on north american families ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

SandRider wrote:I'd say that without doing your own extensive genealogical research, you can't say for certain what your "roots" are;

I was lucky. Had an older distant cousin who did the research for my mother's side of the family. So I'm 100% sure about the French and Irish lines. The book he had published takes the line back to Ireland in the early 1700s. (1706 I think)

My father's side is a little trickier. I did find a book that has my grandfather listed in it but have not been able to get back to that library in order to do more detailed reading. It was in that book I found out the English connection and what surprised me was that side of the family first arrived in America in mid 1600s. (1657 I believe was the date on the land grant) I had just gotten to the part where it mentioned the Native American connect when the announcement came that the library was closing so I don't know which tribe. (Daddy had always said we were Indian but only when he was drunk, so I didn't claim it until I could prove it to be true. Didn't want to claim a heritage that wasn't rightfully mine)

I had always thought my mother's side had been in America the longest but from what I've read so far, it seems like I might have been mistaken.

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

My husband has traced his back but I can't remember to what generation. I do know he found Scottish connection and his mother's maiden name is French in origin. But I do know he came to a road block on his father's side. His grandfather has no father listed on and no-one will tell who it was. The generation that does know is dying out quickly.
Robspierre wrote:
Eyes High wrote:
SandRider wrote:you're not Irish, you are Ulster-Scot .... as are the vast majority of white folk from the South ...
So what do you call French and Irish with a dash of English and Native-American (unsure of the tribe at this time) thrown in?
Horny???? :shifty:

Rob
What-? No one said "American Mutt?!" :confusion-shrug: :flags-usa:
Last edited by Eyes High on 19 Mar 2011 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I'm "American Mutt". French, Scottish, English, German, More French, more Scot, and a distant smidgen of Native American.

No Fremen though. But at least no Harkonnen either.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus