posts that I think will get deleted at DN

Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Rakis wrote:
I wrote:
Ashton wrote:I asked him if they would publish the Dune 7 notes, as I'm sure many have, and he said that they wouldn't because of all the crazy hate from some fans of his and Brian's books, and he didn't want to have them going over and over it, obsessively comparing and finding mroe reasons to complain, which is, I think, quite understandable.
Where's else on the entire net does anybody discuss Brian's books except Jacurutu and Chigger's blog? :wink:
T(A)U
Are we making a strong noise, hum? :lol:
Two forums, one blog and KJA is acting like a pip girl...
Wait for the movie, KJA...
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:Razzberry should be invited to jacurutu. If he is not here already. He seems to be a wise guy.
His is, it's SandChigger. :wink:
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Shouldn't be a secret? :roll:
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I just posted this in a drunken fit about Paul's lapse in memory about another son which is sure to be deleted...
I can't believe this thread has lasted as long as it has. Here is a direct conflict with something that FH wrote. JUST F'ING ADMIT IT ALREADY! This is stupid. Clearly these authors are incapable of staying within the confines of FH's writing. :roll:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

It would be a REAL SHAME if Byron is his usual idiotic self and deletes this Razzberry person's account just because someone jokingly suggested it was me.

He's not me.

(Byron: Use the fucking IP address function built into the board for a change and see where it resolves. Dolt.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:It would be a REAL SHAME if Byron is his usual idiotic self and deletes this Razzberry person's account just because someone jokingly suggested it was me.

He's not me.

(Byron: Use the fucking IP address function built into the board for a change and see where it resolves. Dolt.)
(Byron, it really is SandChigger)
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

And my posts in Paul's Memory thread are officially gone!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

But you can still log on?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Yup.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

It must be rough living without balls. Emasculated for the sake of...family? Nah, money.

Kinda like a Chinese mandarin eunuch serving in the Forbidden City?

Hmmm...I like that image! :D

Nasty, bitter ole Lao Bai, lashing out at everyone with a clue, maybe regretting the choices he's made (not likely!), only his ill-gotten gains to console himself with....

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA! :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

I think Byron's getting lonely over there... if you look at the main forum page right now, almost all of the last posts on each board are by him. More like Boredadmin...

I'd post to keep him company, but there are not many interesting topics so I can't be bothered.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Yeah, the "official" Dune site has become a complete wasteland and a not-very-funny joke.

They got what they wanted, I guess. Or, technically, KJA got what he wanted, since it's become astonishingly obvious who really controls the Herbert trust.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

The Great Exodus is a success... 8)

We should have kept stats since Freak was half-banned...
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

I can only imagine that looking at that place now must be like watching shit melting at the sun.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

And the saddest part...even after the closure of Arrakeen and now the ghost town that has become Dunenovels, neither administrator will ever admit they did anything wrong. All the blame for the death of these sites will forever fall upon excuses and scapegoats. They'll never know what really happened, even though it's stares at them right in the face.

Almost Shakepearian in its tragedy.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Rakis wrote:The Great Exodus is a success... 8)

We have that chart that I made, it was pretty close to when Freak was banned. I'm planning on doing an update in a month or so so that I can compare not only our over member participation etc, but the difference betweem our activity and their post-Freakzilla. Should be pretty shocking when I get to it.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

That will be an interesting read, I'm sure.

Even a casual glance shows that the situation is pretty dire for those pathetic "official" forums. On any given day, there's almost zero activity, and much of the new material is being posted by the same four or five bucketheads. And this is happening within one month of the new book's release! Any equivalent "official" site that wasn't just a complete shithole would be flooded with new posts right now.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Rakis wrote:The Great Exodus is a success... 8)

We have that chart that I made, it was pretty close to when Freak was banned. I'm planning on doing an update in a month or so so that I can compare not only our over member participation etc, but the difference betweem our activity and their post-Freakzilla. Should be pretty shocking when I get to it.
Can't wait... :twisted:
Bearded Kirklander

Post by Bearded Kirklander »

Nekhrun wrote:It's an OH
I don't know what OH means. Could you please let me know what it stands for?

Thanks
Bearded Kirklander

Drunken Idaho wrote:Look at this:

http://www.dunenovels.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2793

This is from the newest registered user at DN. It's his first and currently his only post on the board, and he's promoting the Dune prequel audiobooks. Sound like lame-ass marketing tactics to anyone else?
It's not marketing tactics. I'm just an over-zealous fan, I guess.

It was a genuine post about how much I liked the audiobooks.

I liked those three books because they were something completely "new" to me and it was set so far back in the past that I didn't really factor them in versus the regular Dune books.
Drunken Idaho wrote:And I just checked out that audiobook thread by this Kirklander character again. Now, he has a total of three posts and they take up most of the damned thread!

WHO COMES TO A DUNE BOARD SOLELY TO TALK ABOUT AUDIOBOOKS?!
I have failing eyesight due to diabetes (sugar build-up in the eyes, they say, among a few other problems), so Audiobooks have opened up a new world for me in terms of being able to experience works in a different way.

I can still see ok when I type on an LCD monitor where you can adjust the resolution, but as far as reading actually printed novels, I have a much harder time.

I live near Seattle Washington and the King County Library System has a pretty great audiobook catalog. I guess the high taxes up here are paying dividends.

I tried Large Print books but my eyes still get fatigued and I have trouble focusing. It's mainly the Up Close stuff I have trouble with. When it's daylight and I'm driving, I can see pretty well, but at home I need to sit under a pretty bright light-source in order to read.

So, audiobooks allow me to listen to books when I go to bed. Sometimes it takes a half-hour to an hour for me to fall asleep, and I get to listen to the books then and let my eyes rest.

As for the Legends Of Dune series, I only found out about it because I'm a big fan of Scott Brick as a narrator.

I found out about him when I listened to the Sword Of Shannara trilogy, and just typed his name into the search engine at the library and started listening to whatever books and series came up that he narrated and had subject matter I might be interested in. The Legends Of Dune series just happened to be listed as a fairly recent work, so I checked out the CD's, ripped 'em to MP3 and played the books on my MP3 player.

From his list of works, I found out about Clive Cussler books, Orson Scott Card (enders series) and a series of books about FBI Special Agent Aloysius Pendergast. I even rediscovered some Isaac Asimov books.

So, all this to say, I'm just a fan of good books, and I guess I got geeked up about how well that Legends Of Dune series turned out and did one of those "Tom Cruise Dancing On The Couch" types of deals. :)

I like audiobooks. I don't think I'd be able to experience many of the titles that I have in recent years without the audiobook option.

Anyway, I found this Jacurutu site when I was doing a Google Search for some stuff that was in Paul Of Dune, just like I did when I found that Dune Novels site when I did searches about the stuff in the Legends Of Dune series.

Then I saw some of the posts and was kind of surprised to see my login name mentioned on this site. So, I thought I'd reply.

So, there ya go. That's about it. Just wanted to sort of explain why I was posting the way I was over at that site in the hopes that it might help diffuse some of the hostility directed at me.

I was surprised that I got a hostile reception on that site, and even more surprised by comments here.

I'm not sure what up with all the mean-ness. Maybe I should change my nick or something. It could just be I've tapped into the "Anti-Beard" movement or something like that. Maybe some people think that having a beard gives me a bigger Carbon Footprint and resent me for it.

But, I look even dorkier without a beard, so I guess I'm at an impasse.

Anyway, happy reading. :)

BK
Last edited by Bearded Kirklander on 19 Oct 2008 06:35, edited 1 time in total.
Bijaz

Post by Bijaz »

Bearded Kirklander wrote:

Thanks
Oh, you don't know :wink:
Bearded Kirklander wrote:I understand that some fans of the novels may be concerned about whether they are "Canon or Non-Canon" but I'm not one of them.

I think this particular trilogy is solid enough to stand on its own and given that it is set so far back in the Dune timeline, it is easy for me to focus on what a solid foundation it does create, even if it does not strictly adhere to every single item mentioned in the "Classic" novels written by Frank Herbert.
Bearded Kirklander

Bijaz wrote:

Thanks
Bearded Kirklander wrote:I understand that some fans of the novels may be concerned about whether they are "Canon or Non-Canon" but I'm not one of them.

I think this particular trilogy is solid enough to stand on its own and given that it is set so far back in the Dune timeline, it is easy for me to focus on what a solid foundation it does create, even if it does not strictly adhere to every single item mentioned in the "Classic" novels written by Frank Herbert.
But I don't understand what OH stands for.

I'm familiar with the term "CANON" because of Sherlock Holmes but OH is new to me.

Sorry if I seem dense. But honestly, I don't know what it means and would like to find out. That's all.
Bearded Kirklander

SandChigger wrote:Choice.
Some dumbfook named Bearded Kirklander on DN wrote:I understand that some fans of the novels may be concerned about whether they are "Canon or Non-Canon" but I'm not one of them.

If it were solid enough to stand on its own, it wouldn't need to tie everything to the later period of the universe or need "Dune" splashed so prominently across the cover.

Ah, the magnetic effect of the Dumb Novels BBS continues unabated! Drawing idiots to it from the ends of the universe! :lol:
Harsh. No need to rip me, is there? It's not like I hurt anybody or slept with their mamma or something.

I simply liked that particular trilogy. I am not that impressed by the "Dune 7" two book finale, but it's not like they are horrible or anything.

There's stuff in the original Dune books that I didn't like too, but they are still fun to read (especially when compared to the back of a box of Captain Crunch).

Like I don't get how Leto II was so easy to destroy. Thought the whole idea of blowing up the planet was sort of lame.

I guess I'm more of a fan of the first book - DUNE - than the sequels. I'm one who actually likes the David Lynch movie about Dune. I even got it on DVD. :)

Anyway, all this to say that I thought the Legends Of Dune trilogy was a really good set of audiobooks and I enjoyed them very much. I didn't think that would be so upsetting to folks.

I'm still sort of shaking my head wondering why people would get mad at some geek who says he's a fan of a few books. I mean, that's what I am, really. Just an old computer geek who likes audiobooks.

But hey, some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug, and I guess that's just how it goes.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

You have arrived here on the board where fans of the original books of Dune by Frank Herbert gather. We have some rather outspoken opinions about the atrocities that are being published with the name Dune on it.

If you don't know what OH stands for then your aren't one.

I don't know who you are and we have never met, but opening a topic called: "Marie Fenring vs Ender Wiggin - SmackDown of the 6 year olds" is a dead giveaway about a severe lack of taste in literature and for me a reason to make as much fun about you as possible.

I also suggest you try to read Dune again and a bit more closely this time. You might end up understanding the word Sietch which is a rather important part of the book.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Bijaz wrote:

Thanks

But I don't understand what OH stands for.

I'm familiar with the term "CANON" because of Sherlock Holmes but OH is new to me.

Sorry if I seem dense. But honestly, I don't know what it means and would like to find out. That's all.
If there's an abbreviation you're unsure about check the abbreviation thread :wink: viewtopic.php?t=367
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -