Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

leagued

Post by leagued »

What's PoD's current NYT standing?
LeagueD
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

leagued wrote:What's PoD's current NYT standing?
18th
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

chanilover wrote:Anderson is like the Pied Piper, drawing idiots of every nationality to follow him.
You give Anderson far too much credit.
It's just people being people. Take any random crowd of people and declare your opinion on any subject, even the most inane. You'll always get at least a few people who will agree with you, no matter how stupid your opinion may be.

In the climate of our current society, that covets mediocrity like it's a virtue, the proportion of yes men is simply that much greater.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Secher Nbiw wrote:
chanilover wrote:Anderson is like the Pied Piper, drawing idiots of every nationality to follow him.
well I find it surprising that despite his bragging, the Dunenovels forum is fucking empty...

you'd think that with the OH gone, there would be a surge in preek activity, but there isn't...
What is there to say? There's only so many variations on the theme of 'awesome'. Some of the posters even manage to spell the word correctly.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

GamePlayer wrote:
You give Anderson far too much credit.
It's true. He prances about in the woods in tights, blowing on Brian's flute. Anyway, that's what he told the police officer he was blowing.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Mr. Teg wrote:
Secher Nbiw wrote:
well I find it surprising that despite his bragging, the Dunenovels forum is fucking empty...

you'd think that with the OH gone, there would be a surge in preek activity, but there isn't...
I'm sure Byron is thinking, " Ahhh, I finally can relax. Nothing but mindless juvenile blabber. Phew, my brain was really starting to hurt. Thank Holy Anderson, the OHs are gone."
I'm still there. I post from time to time, but the discussion has slowed down majorly. I still represent orthodox Herbert, but it's tough when even the slightest disdainful comment towards the new books may result in deletion. Still, I persist.

And I just checked out that audiobook thread by this Kirklander character again. Now, he has a total of three posts and they take up most of the damned thread!

WHO COMES TO A DUNE BOARD SOLELY TO TALK ABOUT AUDIOBOOKS?!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Drunken Idaho wrote:
Mr. Teg wrote:
Secher Nbiw wrote:

I'm sure Byron is thinking, " Ahhh, I finally can relax. Nothing but mindless juvenile blabber. Phew, my brain was really starting to hurt. Thank Holy Anderson, the OHs are gone."
I'm still there. I post from time to time, but the discussion has slowed down majorly. I still represent orthodox Herbert, but it's tough when even the slightest disdainful comment towards the new books may result in deletion. Still, I persist.

And I just checked out that audiobook thread by this Kirklander character again. Now, he has a total of three posts and they take up most of the damned thread!

WHO COMES TO A DUNE BOARD SOLELY TO TALK ABOUT AUDIOBOOKS?!
Preeks than can't read. :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

The "official" Dune boards are completely irrelevant.

Consider this: a new book (by definition, the biggest possible event for that site) has been out for less than a month, yet it has generated almost no posts to the "official" messageboard in the last two weeks. And that includes not one single post yet today.

I almost wouldn't believe it if I hadn't just double-checked, but it's true. It's a staggering indictment of the complete irrelevancy of Byron and the three or so idiots who are left over there. Try to imagine the traffic at the official sites for Star Wars, or Serenity, or Lord of the Rings, or [insert another F/SF franchise here]. The new book has been out for less than a month, and no one is visiting the "official" site. It's mind-boggling.

The entire site — www.dunenovels.com, I mean — is a complete disgrace, actually. It's boring, unattractive, uninformative, looks like a big advertisement, and uses filler content from a clown who actually thinks that hiking is the same thing as writing. Collectively, the HLP are, without a doubt, one of stupidest groups of people ever assembled in human history.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

TheDukester wrote:Collectively, the HLP are, without a doubt, one of stupidest groups of people ever assembled in human history.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

TheDukester wrote: The entire site — www.dunenovels.com, I mean — is a complete disgrace, actually. It's boring, unattractive, uninformative, looks like a big advertisement, and uses filler content from a clown who actually thinks that hiking is the same thing as writing. Collectively, the HLP are, without a doubt, one of stupidest groups of people ever assembled in human history.
Not to mention that KJA has probably never even mentioned the word "Dune" in any of the site's news posts. It's all "Last Days of Crypton" and "Dear Diary, I shit my pants again."
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

All of my students who are reading Dune keep asking me why there aren't any more video games or anything Dune related in the media. I tell them it's because the company is so poorly mismanaged.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Because it's easy to publish trash novels. Just seat some obliviously self-unaware, but tragically persistent hack in front of a computer (though the HLP also welcomes technophobes) and watch him pump out slop. This is the HLP's idea of "maintaining a public image of Dune".

Making video games or movies actually requires effort, talent and some measure of cooperating with others. If you've ever read anything the HLP has produced, you'd know they possesses none of these qualities.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Got another one...
I wrote:
Ashton wrote:I asked him if they would publish the Dune 7 notes, as I'm sure many have, and he said that they wouldn't because of all the crazy hate from some fans of his and Brian's books, and he didn't want to have them going over and over it, obsessively comparing and finding mroe reasons to complain, which is, I think, quite understandable. He also said when I asked that there were to be no young adult Dune books.
So it's FH fans' fault for not being able to see the notes? He's quite the politician now for trying to spin it like that. Does he think that people won't still go over his Dune work anyway?

I guess Byron won't be able to write his book then because kja's calling the shots now.
Edited to add: Also, aren't the Dune books being written now Young Adult Lit?
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Ashton wrote:Yesterday I went to Kevin's signing in St. Louis... there were only around 8 or 9 people there other than me, but everyone there was a Dune fanatic. It was a fairly small space, and we all had a lot of time to basically just hang out and chat with him. He truly is an incredibly nice, cool guy.
Only 9 people? sheesh...is there many KJA fans around, hum? :roll:
Ashton wrote: I asked him if they would publish the Dune 7 notes, as I'm sure many have, and he said that they wouldn't because of all the crazy hate from some fans of his and Brian's books, and he didn't want to have them going over and over it, obsessively comparing and finding mroe reasons to complain, which is, I think, quite understandable. He also said when I asked that there were to be no young adult Dune books.
Is it our fault now??
If they really don't have fear of what they are writing, shouldn't be so complicated to publish the Holy Notes.
Of course we will compare them! And Analyze them! And re-read them many times! It would be new things supposedly written by FH, and we are his fans! There isn't another way, KJA, don't you know how fans are?

Ashton wrote: Well, I too am a bit upset about the notes not being released... on the other hand, even the greatest of author's notes usually aren't much to look at.
I think you are not a really fan of FH's works. If you were, you wouldn't say that. FH was a philosopher for me, his ideas have been analized by many University works. It is not only because it would be DUNE, it's because we would be able to know and read more about his incredible vision of the world.

If BH & KJA know what respect is, they would release this notes. Respect don't have any thing to do with writing books saying they are following FH's ideas, and the main public, who likes FH's work, not being able to see for you self if all these stories are truth.
Last edited by Lisan Al-Gaib on 08 Oct 2008 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

That has to be Ashton Kutcher, right?
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Ashton wrote:... because of all the crazy hate from some fans of his and Brian's books ...
Pathetic.

I guess "artists" really are sensitive, huh?

Fucking losers.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:
Ashton wrote:... because of all the crazy hate from some fans of his and Brian's books ...
Pathetic.

I guess "artists" really are sensitive, huh?

Fucking losers.
From my close observation of writers... they fall into two groups: 1) those who bleed copiously and visibly at any bad review, and 2) those who bleed copiously and secretly at any bad review.
Isaac Asimov
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I think I'll metamorph into a leech now.

I'M COMIN' FOR YA, KEVIN!!! :twisted:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:I think I'll metamorph into a leech now.

I'M COMIN' FOR YA, KEVIN!!! :twisted:
<~~fashonig tick hooks from....beer bottles.
~Pink Snowman
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Nekhrun wrote:Got another one...
I wrote:
Ashton wrote:I asked him if they would publish the Dune 7 notes, as I'm sure many have, and he said that they wouldn't because of all the crazy hate from some fans of his and Brian's books, and he didn't want to have them going over and over it, obsessively comparing and finding mroe reasons to complain, which is, I think, quite understandable. He also said when I asked that there were to be no young adult Dune books.
So it's FH fans' fault for not being able to see the notes? He's quite the politician now for trying to spin it like that. Does he think that people won't still go over his Dune work anyway?

I guess Byron won't be able to write his book then because kja's calling the shots now.
Edited to add: Also, aren't the Dune books being written now Young Adult Lit?
That stinks of a confession by the Comb-Over Hack, there! Now he's too scared to publish the notes because people will bsessively compare them and find reason to complain. If he had been faithful to the notes, he could produce them and shut everyone up.

What a lying prick. How long until your reponse gets deleted, I wonder? Byron's cynical editing of comments on the Anderson advertising site is shameful for someone who harps on about his grandfather's legacy.
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Razzberry, DN - Paul's memory thread wrote:This is an example of just one of the reason I will not buy these new Dune books. They try so hard to be part of the series, but they just end up tripping over the originals. If others enjoy the story, that fine, but it seems pretty obvious to me that they can not be cannon, because they don't fit.

They get silly things wrong. They change things for no reason but to tell their own story, even if it infringes on what Frank wrote. Again if these thing don't bother you, that’s fine. But you really should understand what you are defending.

The new Dune books were destined to be torn apart and hated by the majority of long time Dune fans. They have for one formed their own ideas about the way Dune is, but more important here they love the way the books were written, the hearty feast for the mind that was packed into every page, in 6 works of art.

Now you try and write pulp Sci Fi and make continuity mistake that are both big and small. Do you not see why their is outcry? Why there are those that take this to the extreme? And why there are those who simply beat their head against the wall because they don't understand that some like pulp sci fi, even though it does not match what Dune is about?

Really this should have been expected. Maybe it was. But after some time lurking on these forums it seems that there is allot of effort extended defending the undefendable position. There are those that see this but can not sway public opinion, and they go over the edge because they were in a way pushed over by the mindlessness of the masses that have taken over what was their sacred treasure.

I am not very good with words (You don't want to know my English grades!) And a writer I am not, but these has been building up and I needed to say it, or post it, or whatever. Very Happy I am by no means trying to say the new books don't have any merit at all. Just that they don't match on style, nor substance, and with continuity with the Dune we all love so much. Just one view from a pretty average joe.
Razzberry should be invited to jacurutu. If he is not here already. He seems to be a wise guy.

This post above, the unique from him there, probably is going to be deleted by the admin. So I find I should save it re-posting it here.

The paul's memory thread only shows to us more from the short-mind's Byron and Arnoldo...Seriously, isn't pretty obvious that the "new writers" made a mistake? Are they "un-mistakeble"?

Today I was talking about the scism between the fans of DUNE with my girlfriend. She is pretty fan of Harry Potter, and she told that when J.K. Rowling has a doubt about a fact of her own universe she takes a look at the bests websites of HP. And that, in the fourth book of the serie, she had made a mistake about the order of harry's parents death, therefore a fan notice that and e-mail her. She congratulated him and at the second edition she changed the scene.

"Why you can't do something like that, KJA? Really, man, you should slow down in your ego."
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Wow, that's a brilliant post. Honestly, it's usually the "from the heart" posts by guys who don't post that often or who aren't sure of their writing skills that turn out to be some of the best posts on any given subject.

I'm glad it will be preserved here. Even though it's fair and honest portrayal of what's going on with The Hack and His Sidekick, it's sure to be deleted since it doesn't fit in with the author-worship that's expected over there.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Well that is fine with me. We have pushed those assholes to take a position against publishing a work by our actions. By one view they have "lowered" themselves to our level. By another (and correct) they have tacitly admitted that they have been lying all along.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Ashton wrote:I asked him if they would publish the Dune 7 notes, as I'm sure many have, and he said that they wouldn't because of all the crazy hate from some fans of his and Brian's books, and he didn't want to have them going over and over it, obsessively comparing and finding mroe reasons to complain, which is, I think, quite understandable.
Where's else on the entire net does anybody discuss Brian's books except Jacurutu and Chigger's blog? :wink:
Last edited by Mr. Teg on 11 Oct 2008 00:05, edited 1 time in total.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Mr. Teg wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:Got another one...
I wrote:
Ashton wrote:I asked him if they would publish the Dune 7 notes, as I'm sure many have, and he said that they wouldn't because of all the crazy hate from some fans of his and Brian's books, and he didn't want to have them going over and over it, obsessively comparing and finding mroe reasons to complain, which is, I think, quite understandable.
Where's else on the entire net does anybody discuss Brian's books except Jacurutu and Chigger's blog? :wink:
T(A)U