Any kind of Leader for the Guild?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Sole Man

Any kind of Leader for the Guild?

Post by Sole Man »

Is there any mention of this kind of thing, at all? Maybe it some kind of hypernavigtor...like maybe super-mutated, maybe it looks like Lynch's...
Lisan Al-Gaib

Re: Any kind of Leader for the Guild?

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Sole Man wrote:Is there any mention of this kind of thing, at all? Maybe it some kind of hypernavigtor...like maybe super-mutated, maybe it looks like Lynch's...
Well, at DM, Eldric seems to have some kind of political power over the Guild, because he is one of the heads for the treason against Muad'dib.

Maybe the directors of Spacing Guild are composed by three-level Navigator...However I don't remember anything about Guild leaders.
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

The ones at the end of Dune that Paul speaks with seem to have a more administrative fonction, maybe higher in the hierarchy, since closer to the Emperor?
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

I think the Spacing Guild would have been run by ordinary humans, on the same lines as any major corporation today. The Navigators would have an input in how it was run, but I don' think they would have been involved in the daily adminstration of the Guild. They were too busy floating in tanks.

Of course, Norma really runs the Guild, as we "discover" in the shitfest of Sandworms of Dune. She probably makes the in-flight complementariy sandwiches as well. :roll:
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

chanilover wrote:I think the Spacing Guild would have been run by ordinary humans, on the same lines as any major corporation today. The Navigators would have an input in how it was run, but I don' think they would have been involved in the daily adminstration of the Guild. They were too busy floating in tanks.
That's the impression I got, I don't think the Navs really cared too much about anything other than getting their spice.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

New Shit Order: Normacle.

What we know and love:
Surely like today company, a CEO who could be a human and a chairboard, some of them could be navigators to provide the necesary input about their ''job''
Onasander

Post by Onasander »

It's a Guild. Guild. Think about it. They are a guild.

Navigators have a niche monopoly- any one could in theory be gotten rid of- but they all couldn't- they go on strike- they're going to get what they want. Any Navigator can go wherever they damn well please as well- don't get them emotional or angry..... they will fuck your world and cause a a massive political incident hijaking who knows where- especially if they know they are carrying a large shipment of spice.

This being said- I don't think administrators were necessarily in charge, or the navigators cared about the other cogs of the machine they made move- so long as everything was in it's place. Symbiotic, similar to a meeting of the village elders. You want them on your side as regular humans, as they can see things. They want the humans on their side too- because they are vulnerable, and can be gotten rid of individually. This is not the kind of society that will evolve into a monarchy, or a dictatorship easily- or last for long as such. They were a guild- nominally under the emperor (old empire, or Paul's- really the same thing). A rather straight forward job, simple- not mind wrecking to figure out- maintain the status quo, and sniff your daily portion of blow- keep on truckin.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Onasander wrote:It's a Guild. Guild. Think about it. They are a guild... A rather straight forward job, simple- not mind wrecking to figure out- maintain the status quo, and sniff your daily portion of blow- keep on truckin.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Seriously, is Danny McBride going to play you in the upcoming biopic, Onasander? Or is it Dunebound and Down: The Onasander Story?
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Kensai

Post by Kensai »

Onasander wrote:It's a Guild. Guild. Think about it. They are a guild... A rather straight forward job, simple- not mind wrecking to figure out- maintain the status quo, and sniff your daily portion of blow- keep on truckin.
Exactly, I always doubted there was any real leadership to the Guild seeing as it is made of navigators and administrators. Its a pretty straight forward business as Onasander says, so I assumed the bureaucracy itself leads them. Might explain why paul changeing everything put such a spanner into the works and prove to be an apt metaphore for the whole series.
Survival is the ultimate ideology Image
Kensai

Post by Kensai »

Kensai wrote: so I assumed the bureaucracy itself leads them.
Just to elaborate, what I mean is that everything is based on rules and regulations, there is no descision making or leadership, just administrators following proceedure.
Survival is the ultimate ideology Image
reverendmotherQ.

Re:

Post by reverendmotherQ. »

chanilover wrote:I think the Spacing Guild would have been run by ordinary humans, on the same lines as any major corporation today. The Navigators would have an input in how it was run, but I don' think they would have been involved in the daily adminstration of the Guild. They were too busy floating in tanks.

Of course, Norma really runs the Guild, as we "discover" in the shitfest of Sandworms of Dune. She probably makes the in-flight complementariy sandwiches as well. :roll:
Now I realize that this was a feminist answer to what the "writers" of SOD thought was an easy way to solve the "power problems" they found in Frank Herbert's work, as though those "problems" weren't Herbert's choice.

This realization makes me understand even more the b/s that proliferates my university's writing program.
Robspierre

Re: Re:

Post by Robspierre »

reverendmotherQ. wrote:

Now I realize that this was a feminist answer to what the "writers" of SOD thought was an easy way to solve the "power problems" they found in Frank Herbert's work, as though those "problems" weren't Herbert's choice.

This realization makes me understand even more the b/s that proliferates my university's writing program.
You're giving them too much credit. They write what they want without regard to the original, period.

Rob
reverendmotherQ.

Re: Re:

Post by reverendmotherQ. »

Robspierre wrote: You're giving them too much credit. They write what they want without regard to the original, period.

Rob
That's even more frightening.
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Lookin' good, RevMomQ! :wink:
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!