The Board

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:OK, when I click on Watch this Topic for Replies, I get e-mails whenever someone does reply.
Even for this one? :D
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Nope. Turned that annoying feature off. hehe.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I've turned it off again now, but I didn't get any mail, either. :? :?:

Can Ragaboo check the mail server logs to see if the messages went out?

(Reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask: where are we here, exactly? Is the server one Ragabash has contracted for space on with a hosting service, like I do with my website, or is it one that he owns/leases and has actual physical access to? Just wondering.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:I've turned it off again now, but I didn't get any mail, either. :? :?:

Can Ragaboo check the mail server logs to see if the messages went out?

(Reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask: where are we here, exactly? Is the server one Ragabash has contracted for space on with a hosting service, like I do with my website, or is it one that he owns/leases and has actual physical access to? Just wondering.)
Both, actually. He has physical access to it if he wants because he knows the owner, but he leases space on it. The mail server is on the East Coast somewhere, throuogh a friend. Go ahead and send him a PM and ask him to check the logs. He checks his PM's pretty frequently.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:The mail server is on the East Coast somewhere, throuogh a friend.
:shock:

I don't EVEN want to think about how that is set up. :?

Then again. OK, so he's probably using the SMTP server options, instead of the simpler, built-in sendmail function through the mail server on the same server as the webpages.

Hmm...OK, maybe I'll PM him later. ;)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Sendmail is quite breakable. You really need to set up your own. And since its the internet, it can be anywhere.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Maybe I turned it off too soon yesterday; got an email today. ;)
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

The Ixians forum and the Spacing Guild forum could really be merged into one single forum. There's not a lot of discussion concerning either group, and really, by the time of Heretics, the two groups have practically merged as a political entity either way.

You could also find a way to fit the Butlerian Jihad under the same forum, but that might be stretching it.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Is there any rush to compact?
orald

Post by orald »

SandChigger wrote:Is there any rush to compact?
Yea, we're getting four new main forums soon, haven't you heard, for the Ho's o' Dung series.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Not really, but I was thinking the board is just a bit big, and since none of those subforums have many topics, it would make sense to combine them. Good organization, I guess?
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

You've got my vote. Less sub-forums would definitely suit this place better.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Same here.

Besides...the place is still young; give it another half year to see if the currently sparse spots fill in a bit. ;)

(After all, reorganizing forums is a DIFFICULT tast requiring EXPERT skills. I mean, it must, right, considering how long 'Keen has been down? :lol: )
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SandChigger wrote:Same here.

Besides...the place is still young; give it another half year to see if the currently sparse spots fill in a bit. ;)

(After all, reorganizing forums is a DIFFICULT tast requiring EXPERT skills. I mean, it must, right, considering how long 'Keen has been down? :lol: )
Well, you know, adding glitter and cats to a Theme does require HYGHmaintenance... :wink:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

If I have to take the board off line to add a skin, I promise it will take less than a quarter-year. Im willing to make that promise to you

FUCKING SPAMMERS!!!!!

Oops! Sorry! The meds are wearing off.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

SandChigger wrote:Same here.

Do you know how much time it takes me to scroll down to the Ghafla forum? It's like three motions of my middle finger. If we could reduce that by even half a motion, I'd consider it a worthy endeaver.

Speaking of motions of the middle finger...
orald

Post by orald »

My wheel either sucks or my finger is retarded and can't operate it, so I click and drag with it, works as a continous scroll depending in speed and direction on the location of the pointer relative to the little scrolling symbol that apears when I so so. Simple. Faster. More accurate.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

bryanvdk wrote:ctrl panel - mouse - wheel - up button
:)
How do you know I'm not on my Mac? =P
orald wrote:My wheel either sucks or my finger is retarded and can't operate it, so I click and drag with it, works as a continous scroll depending in speed and direction on the location of the pointer relative to the little scrolling symbol that apears when I so so. Simple. Faster. More accurate.
I've developed scrolling with my scroll wheel to an art. I hate that method of scrolling that you're using.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Phaedrus wrote:Do you know how much time it takes me to scroll down to the Ghafla forum? It's like three motions of my middle finger. If we could reduce that by even half a motion, I'd consider it a worthy endeaver.
Oh, poooor baybee! :roll:

Hey, Freak or Omph: could you move the Ghafla forum up the page? :P
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

You people need to get your sarcasm meters checked. :?
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

We need more not less! More is better! Bigger is better! Unlimited topics!

Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

^^^ Wildman outa control. :D
Phaedrus wrote:You people need to get your sarcasm meters checked. :?
I blame Orald. He's thrown everything off. :P
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Kick/ban this fucker please, lwb9861y, it/thier reply in the Hod and ChD reading group threads are causing a redirect to some malware warning page.

edit to add
Perhaps it was my borky new browser, chrome, opera seems fine.
mrpsbrk

Post by mrpsbrk »

Phaedrus wrote:Not really, but I was thinking the board is just a bit big, and since none of those subforums have many topics, it would make sense to combine them. Good organization, I guess?
I happen to agree. Seeing that there is a HUGE difference in the posting numbers, it seems the forum divisions are unbalanced. The whole "Factions" forums together amount to 42 topics, less than "Dune Media" -- but if they would be joined i guess "Bene Gesserit, Fremem and other groups" would be a better name.

On the other hand, the "General Dune Discussion" seems home to a very strange and heterodox mix of things. A very slice of it seem to me to revolve around "Dune Communities" -- what so and so forum is like, who is posting where, sites where to get useful information, etc. So i think this should deserve a forum of itself.

Also, i think maybe the forum division is focused too much on... how to say it? Nouns instead of Adjectives? Like, things concrete and delineable instead of processes and flows. Like instead of "Butlerian Jihad" -- "Politics in Dune".

I happen to remember that back on alt.fan.dune times it was taken as common sense that FH was a kind of a preacher and that much of his books ended up revolving about his rants about this or that idea that he happened to like. Strangely, this does not show through the board, and i think it should get a forum, at least to acknowledge the issue. Something like "Frank Herbert's ideas" or "Meanings and teachings behind the plot".

Anyways, i guess moving forums around should be a too much trouble, so... maybe it doesn't matter in the end.

But i know i almost never look into the "General" forum just because it is too much trouble to sort amongst all the mess...
Marcio (mrpsbrk) does believe in Lord Leto over all other wills and reasons ;-)
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

mrpsbrk wrote:But i know i almost never look into the "General" forum just because it is too much trouble to sort amongst all the mess...
I just use "posts since last visit".
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman