New Dune Facebook Page!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Looks like that place has seen a lot of action today. :lol:
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

TheDukester wrote:Some "discussions" are more equal than others, right, Byron? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Wow...Byron is so nice in that comment...i give him one week before he gets real nasty and bitch the hell like Hyppo...
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

http://www.new.facebook.com/topic.php?u ... topic=5319

thought you'd like to have a gander at this one!
I am a mortal god.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Secher_Nbiw wrote:http://www.new.facebook.com/topic.php?u ... topic=5319

Carl looks like our kind of guy. I see that our own Trang is in the mix.
trang

Post by trang »

Nekhrun wrote:
Secher_Nbiw wrote:http://www.new.facebook.com/topic.php?u ... topic=5319

Carl looks like our kind of guy. I see that our own Trang is in the mix.
I threw this on the "Official" fan page made by the Abominations on facebook for fun to see if they bite, I know its blasphemy, but hope you can see the sarcasm in it.

I also went ahead and threw it up on DN under POD topic called Dune 2.0 to see if It tickles byron enough to push me out. I havent posted on DN in forever, but just the few posts I have seen from that Hypatia person recently already makes me angry.

Trang

"Was wondering now that BH/KJA have wedged POD in between Dune and Dune Messiah, when the rewrites for the original six are gonna begin. I know they said they were only going to write one book every two years for the 3 remaining "hero's of dune", but with the fierce pace they pushed out POD, seems they would have plenty of time to knock those out too.

I mean they have obviously surpassed the originals, and the differences are so vast between them, I thought it would be logical to just go ahead and rewrite the origianl six and iron out things for the THEIR fan base.

hey maybe Im even coining a phrase, taking from that wonderful innovator himself, bill "wiggle in pants" gates, and Call it Dune 2.0, im sure the "Sons of Dune" will reap vast cash rewards and industry accolades for that kind of effort.

I stand in the Swath waiting with A Torch to Light the way!!!
Trang"
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

trang

Post by trang »

My post on wall of official page along with a couple others was deleted!! gotta luv byron!!

funny he hasnt deleted the discussion I added, with the first difference point.

I put: Paul was born on caladan.

Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Simon

Post by Simon »

Nekhrun wrote: Carl looks like our kind of guy.
CARL:

:lol: Yes. A man with his own Green Latern suit. :lol:
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Simon wrote:
Nekhrun wrote: Carl looks like our kind of guy.
CARL:

:lol: Yes. A man with his own Green Latern suit. :lol:
It's one more Green Lantern suit than I have. I just thought his comment was funny.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I know, I just saw the suit and started dying, I couldn't stop laughing.

From over here it was like:

"This is our guy!"

(I click on the link) Then a man in a Green Lantern suit steps up.

Hey don't get me wrong, I'm A GL fan, Hal Jordan is the man.
I just wasn't expecting Carl! :lol:
leagued

Post by leagued »

In order to post on the hack FB site I have to be a "fan" of it... fuck.
LeagueD
Illogical Banana

Post by Illogical Banana »

I wonder why Brian is afraid to travel away from the west coast. . .I'm guessing it's fear anyway, since he's, well, Brian.
“But what is the good of friendship if one cannot say exactly what one means? Anybody can say charming things and try to please and to flatter, but a true friend always says unpleasant things, and does not mind giving pain. Indeed, if he is a really true friend he prefers it, for he knows that then he is doing good.” -Oscar Wilde
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Illogical Banana wrote:I wonder why Brian is afraid to travel away from the west coast. . .I'm guessing it's fear anyway, since he's, well, Brian.
:lol:
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

quote from facebook site "Dune is the science fiction equivalent of The Lord of the Rings, Dune won both the Hugo and Nebula Awards and over its 40 year history has become the best-selling science fiction novel of all time."

now i enjoy he LoTR books..but is anyone else fucking sick of this comparison ...imo dune blows LoTR away ...its not even close .... the books are nothing alike .... but retarded Dune fans like to say "its the sci-fi LoTR" ...i just dont get it.... just because LoTR is really popular and well written doesnt mean dune is comparible to it....fucking barf :vomit:
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't think they're actually comparing the content of the two works, just that they are the benchmark in their respective genres.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

Tyrant wrote:quote from facebook site "Dune is the science fiction equivalent of The Lord of the Rings, Dune won both the Hugo and Nebula Awards and over its 40 year history has become the best-selling science fiction novel of all time."

now i enjoy he LoTR books..but is anyone else fucking sick of this comparison ...imo dune blows LoTR away ...its not even close .... the books are nothing alike .... but retarded Dune fans like to say "its the sci-fi LoTR" ...i just dont get it.... just because LoTR is really popular and well written doesnt mean dune is comparible to it....fucking barf :vomit:
Hm... I happen to like both, and I think the comparison (beyond that fact, obviously) makes sense in one regard: both worlds are meticulously built, and described so as to feel 'real', or at least internally realistic.
In this way, they both are great examples of a genre - which go beyond that genre.

Now that I think about it, both also take a new direction with old hero-myths (though Tolkien is far less radical in in the direction he goes with it)...

Beyond that, they are very different books, working in widely different ways.
But to an editor, it will still look like a great cover blurb! :-)
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Freakzilla wrote:I don't think they're actually comparing the content of the two works, just that they are the benchmark in their respective genres.
That's exactly what it is. Both Dune and LOTR sit at the top of their respective food chains, hence the apt analogy.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

If it didn't say DUNE in such big letters on the covers, how else would you know? :wink:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
SandChigger wrote:If it didn't say DUNE in such big letters on the covers, how else would you know? :wink:
:lol: :lol:
Nail head, meet hammer.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Baraka Bryan wrote:another funny tidbit....

KH had posted on a group that people should join the "Official Dune Page" but didn't put up a link...

I then put a link to "Official Dune" page and told people to follow that and join. needless to say, it wasnt a link to the same page... :twisted:

then KH writes this on my wall:
KH wrote:at 11:22am
Thank you for putting the link up to the new Official Dune page on The Dune Saga page for me Bryan -- that was very nice of you.
love it :lol:
:laughing:
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:

KH had posted on a group that people should join the "Official Dune Page" but didn't put up a link...

I then put a link to "Official Dune" page and told people to follow that and join. needless to say, it wasnt a link to the same page... :twisted:

Thank you for putting the link up to the new Official Dune page on The Dune Saga page for me Bryan -- that was very nice of you.
hauhauahauahauahauahaua!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Please, put the link to that here!
Last edited by Lisan Al-Gaib on 24 Sep 2008 14:53, edited 1 time in total.
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Brilliant

"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

So I know that many of us are on facebook but it appears that there is a whole group of 'minority' dissenters that are writing nasty shit about Paul of Dune.

Facebook has a reading list application that basically allows you to show what you are reading and then review the book. I had Paul of Dune up there for a while and finally took it off since I have read several books and do not plan on ever reading that after the first 100 pages. I am posting this link, I hope that everyone can read it. If not here are some of the reviews of what Merrit calls the best.
Paul Hadsall, 1 day ago

Quote-leftBrian Herbet and Kevin Anderson have taken a sci-fi classic and turned it into the next Star Wars. The book barely managed to hold my interest... I wish I'd re-read one of Frank Herbert's original books instead.Quote-right
Gwen Daley, 16 days ago

Quote-leftA sputtering end (I hope!) to what has become a tortuously drawn out series. Adds almost nothing to the story. Frank Herbert skipped over this part of the story in the original series for a reason, I would think.Quote-right
Matt Smith, 19 days ago

Quote-leftThis book picks up right after the events of the original Dune. Written by Brain Herbert and Kevin J Anderson, it's meant to fill in the gaps prior to the Children of Dune. It's a pretty good read. If you know the Dune-iverse already, you'll find the personalities of the characters familiar. However, like the other books the two have written, there's a lot of deus ex machine events to ensure the plot from the original series isn't altered. Characters do unexplained things, certain events unfold without real explanation. Like I said, a good read, but don't buy the hard copy.Quote-right
Noach Dzmura, 11 days ago

Quote-leftbad writing.Quote-right
http://apps.facebook.com/facebookshelf/ ... ul-of-dune

Like I said this is just a few but read through. Not really too many good reviews. I think we have established this but this is not any of us 'Talifans' these are facebook users posting what they think.
Schu

Post by Schu »

Wow, they're not cashing in on the DUNE name at all!
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Funny how only the books by that pair has DUNE written in large letters. :lol:
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Mightn't they in a way have negative selling power? :P

Seriously, if Brian keeps putting out solo crap like his Timewub books, he's going to destroy what little credibility he has.

(And the HLP just let him go.... :roll: )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"