Dragon*Con!!!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

DuneFishUK

Re: Dragon*Con!!!

Post by DuneFishUK »

TheDukester wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Florence!
Lots of dunes near there.

I don't have it right in front of me, but wasn't Florence where FH went for the original magazine article that eventually morphed into Dune?
Yup. Another stop for the OH Hajj. :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

The fact that Kevin was uncomfortable and squirmed, maybe that's why Brian is reclusive. He does not want to risk putting himself in such a vulnerable situation.

Kevin only brought his discomfort upon himself. Not only for writing bad books but making too many public appearances (attention whore), making sure the crowds are people who would not criticize him but MOST of all never passionately defending his writing from critics. If he confronted his critics in the past he might have been better prepared.

He underestimated the people at Dragoncon. Despite being fans of machine fantasy like Star Wars, they still can tell good and bad writing apart.

Think Kevin will Blahg about his appearance at Dragoncon? Probably not.
trang

Post by trang »

Very interesting all around.. I searched online as far as I could find and everything about the new DUNE flick still has berg's name all over it, must be super recent news.

Riddley Scott anyone???

Meeting Byron sounded interesting.. wonder if they will ever have a 'con and invite the entire HLP to come to it, that would be interesting.

Thanks again Freak!
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I would like to think that many well-respected directors are now scrambling for the chance to direct Dune, but, you know what? They probably did before, and they chose Berg. I don't think we'll get anyone better. If it's just not canceled.
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

Freak I'd like to ask you if you can recall ANYTHING at all about Kevin's body language that showed he was nervous.

Did he look at his watch? Did he keep looking at the exit? Did he look to the table and not to the audience while having clenched fists? Could you see him sweat or breath heavily? Were his hands shaking?

Anything at all?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Nebiros wrote:Freak I'd like to ask you if you can recall ANYTHING at all about Kevin's body language that showed he was nervous.

Did he look at his watch? Did he keep looking at the exit? Did he look to the table and not to the audience while having clenched fists? Could you see him sweat or breath heavily? Were his hands shaking?

Anything at all?
Not really, he's obviously used to public speaking, and his Dune story is obviously very well rehearsed. He acted like in every interview or panel video I've seen of him.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Freakzilla wrote:... and his Dune story is obviously very well rehearsed.
Just another part of his Dune assembly line, it sounds like.

"Brainstorming" with Bobo: assembly line.

Hiking out a book: assembly line.

Allegedly "editing" after the typist gets through: assembly line.

And on and on and on, through every process of writing and supporting a book. It is to weep.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Redstar wrote:I would like to think that many well-respected directors are now scrambling for the chance to direct Dune, but, you know what? They probably did before, and they chose Berg. I don't think we'll get anyone better. If it's just not canceled.
The story that I recall is that Berg got this going in the first place. He wanted to do it, and went to a studio to solicit a bid from the HLP.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Omphalos wrote:
Redstar wrote:I would like to think that many well-respected directors are now scrambling for the chance to direct Dune, but, you know what? They probably did before, and they chose Berg. I don't think we'll get anyone better. If it's just not canceled.
The story that I recall is that Berg got this going in the first place. He wanted to do it, and went to a studio to solicit a bid from the HLP.
Just like KJA went to Brian, right? Everyone wants a piece of the action.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

There are cut chapters of GEoD in "The Notes"!
They're latest bullshit no doubt, they're gonna pull the "notes" excuse again to justify their next novel "Leto of Dune" :puke:

Added: Plus, if Frank Herbert had left any GEoD notes, dont you think he would have given them to Fullerton archives?
Last edited by Seraphan on 09 Sep 2009 11:09, edited 2 times in total.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

of course he's going to blog about it.

the fun will be, here we have some eyewitnesses to
personally call his slant bullshit.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

trang wrote:Very interesting all around.. I searched online as far as I could find and everything about the new DUNE flick still has berg's name all over it, must be super recent news.

Riddley Scott anyone???

Meeting Byron sounded interesting.. wonder if they will ever have a 'con and invite the entire HLP to come to it, that would be interesting.

Thanks again Freak!
They'll never have a convention, because 90% of attendees would be OH.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nebiros wrote:The fact that Kevin was uncomfortable and squirmed, maybe that's why Brian is reclusive. He does not want to risk putting himself in such a vulnerable situation.
Planning on trying to squirm your way back up the collective Herbert colon again, starting with a little BoBo ass-licking? :roll:

He's a fucking coward, afraid of everything including his own shadow. Period. :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Sandwurm88 wrote:I can see Byron being a nice guy. He was civil before the Jacurutu thing, besides that one outburst where he compared some guy from Arrakeen (might've been SR..?) to a piece of toilet paper or something. Didn't think he'd be 6' 6'' though! Omphalos is probably bigger than him, though. And it doesn't surprise me that Kevvy is a bitchy queen in person. He has never really said anything really that nice online, even fake, come to think of it.
Yes it was that Sandrider guy. Called Byron a pussy he did. :lol:
He may be a nice guy compared to Kevin and at least present in our dimension and reality compared to Brian, but he also supports the HLP and implements policy in a manner of someone who does agree with the values and principals behind their corporate mission statement.
(examples too numerous to mention on both dumbnovels and keen)
Hence...

PUSSY
PUSSY
PUSSY
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

right, Teg's pet name for Merritt is "pussy"

mine is "That Asshole Over There"
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

SandRider wrote:right, Teg's pet name for Merritt is "pussy"

mine is "That Asshole Over There"
Isn't "that asshole over there" Kevin?

Or do you mean "that asshole over there" as in one of Kevin's bitches?
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

no, "That Asshole" is Merritt - I went thru a short phase when I refused
to type his name atall, just referred to him as "That Asshole", but that
got cumbersome. He'd done something to piss me off, can't recall now.
ImageImage

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Love your honesty SandRider.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Freakzilla wrote:I was not allowed to take video of the panel (D*C policy :roll: ) But I left it rolling and got 16bit audio. I'll get it up as soon as possible.
:shifty:
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

DuneFishUK wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I was not allowed to take video of the panel (D*C policy :roll: ) But I left it rolling and got 16bit audio. I'll get it up as soon as possible.
:shifty:
:P Other thread while I was typing this... great minds.

...or something.
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

Not really, he's obviously used to public speaking, and his Dune story is obviously very well rehearsed. He acted like in every interview or panel video I've seen of him.
It's just that he always tries to pick his audience carefully so that they are pro-KJA. Since he is used to public speaking but not used to criticism, I imagined he might have shown some sign of being nervous. Maybe he HAS confronted criticism before. Instead of seeking a safety net, perhaps his arrogance and personal belief that he can do no wrong makes him casually brush off criticism even though he cannot answer to it.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I've recorded the audio, it's 55MB. I just have to break it up and will post it.

Sound quality is not good and some of the audience questions cannot be heard.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Can't wait :twisted:
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

^^^ Yeah, same here.
Tleszer