Paul of Dune Excerpt

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Let's move on.

Why is he going to Caladan?
I was thinking about that too. There isnt write in DM or CoD that Paul nevermore put his feet out of Dune? I remember he saying something about never see the rain again.

I think he said something about that in the end of Dune too. I will verify.
Returning to the topic:

I didnt found nothing about my supposition (I didnt ve searched deep indeed). So, there is some1 that could confirm (or not) that? or there is some1 who had read the books recently?

Thanks.
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I'll check the files later if the machine is cooperative. :?

Another point of interest/head-scratching:

Caladan primitives? :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Did they release the title and numbers of chapters of PoD?

How do you, people, discovery that it will be a chapter in PoD with Caldan's primitives? And what a fuck is caladan's primitive after all?

I only remember something about people from Dan colonizing Geidi Prime in Heretics...
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Ampoliros wrote:
Their makers claimed that these durable offworld imports were superior to the simpler versions that had traditionally been made in hidden sietches.
Bad. Classic KJA. Again, someone reverse engineers a stillsuit and within a year they have created new stillsuits that are better than those created by people who make them themselves because they trust their lives to the suit. Kinda like saying Wal-mart started its own line of Assault Rifles that were "improved" versions of the M-16. The soldiers break them out of the box and immediately charge into battle. How can the guns fail? they are "IMPROVED." I'll trust my life to what it says on the box!
I'm not arguing your point but the M-16 sucks. Take it from someone who was married to one. It might jam or missfire twice through a thirty-round magazine. Wal-Mart might do better. A more apropo analogy might be trying to improve on the AK-47.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Report on "Caladan primitives"

Post by SandChigger »

No mention of them at all in FH's books, but there are multiple references to "Caladan primitives" and "natives" in the BJihad-era short story "Hunting Harkonnens".

So chalk this one up as another potential reference to their own work. (Note that I find it ridiculous to assume that there would still be "primitives" on Caladan after more than 10,000 years. It's a bit silly to posit them even at the time of the Jihad unless it's some scenario like: the original settlers from Earth (or the nearest planet doing the dandelion thang) or some subgroup of them regressed culturally and technologically, either by accident or by choice, and managed to persist in that "primitive" state for several thousand years until the time of the Jihad...while the planet was being resettled by more "advanced" Imperials or what-have-you.) I just wonder if this is another of their "Muadru" red herrings?

Anyone found anything about whether Paul left Arrakis after becoming Emperor?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I saw the Heretics mention of "Caladanian primitive" on the other thread. They can't even quote correctly.

So they've taken a reference to someone five thousand years after the time of Dune and assumed it refers to a group of people who have existed since that time (and possibly even since the time of the Butlerian Jihad, if the "Hunting Harkonnens" mention is based on the same FH quote).

Brilliant! :roll:
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

KJA and BH reconning their own creations into original-series-era novels?

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

This excerpt make me very, very depressed. PoD looks to be every bit as bad as we all feared. The stillsuit nonsense is bad (although I agree it's too minor to get too worked up about), but the show-don't-tell aspect of the whole passage is much. much worse.

You can just tell we're going to read the first four paragraphs of this excerpt at least a dozen times in slightly varying forms before the book is done.

HBJ,
slashing his wrists with his crysknife.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Freakzilla wrote: I'm not arguing your point but the M-16 sucks. Take it from someone who was married to one. It might jam or missfire twice through a thirty-round magazine. Wal-Mart might do better. A more apropo analogy might be trying to improve on the AK-47.
good to know for when the zombies attack. But like you said the point is that just because someone says something is Improved, especially nowadays means about jack+shit. For Kevy its not a new book unless he one-ups someone else. And when it comes to Dune, his new supertoys get so fucking ridiculous you want to smack him in the head with a Hardback copy and say DID YOU EVEN READ THIS? Or did you mean to say "I'm the world's greatest Harrison mini-series fan!!"
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Byron continues to lavish praise on the book:
They really kicked their prose into high gear with this book. Really enjoyable.
High gear.

The kinda shtuff you don't want to forget when hiking towards your High Camp.

(Byron, how do you live with yourself?)
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I'm not even sure what "kicking the prose into high gear" means. They wrote it fast? Seems an odd metaphor for something that should be crafted with care.

HBJ
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

What the fuck took them so long? They wanted to practice on one of the most treasured works in SF? Fuck 'em.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Children of Dune wrote:With seeming Irrelevancy, Farad'n asked: "Do You know what I find most interesting about the history of Arrakis> It was the custom in primitive times for Fremen to kill on sight anyone not clad in a stillsuit with its easily visible and characteristic hood....The stillsuit is the key to that planet's character, Tyek. It's the hallmark of Dune.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus