KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Contact TAZ. He's in "T-dot". :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Contact TAZ. He's in "T-dot". :lol:
I never figured out what the fuck that meant.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Omphalos wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Contact TAZ. He's in "T-dot". :lol:
I never figured out what the fuck that meant.
Toronto. Gods know why some people call it that.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I always figured it was just some code message to Uncle You-Know-Who-vin.

Like, "You're still the only one who can dot my 'I's. Love, from Toronto."

( i )

:shock:
martinburo

Post by martinburo »

Freakzilla, I think you really do need to reread TJI. Ship is in about every chapter, talking to all the good guys. Well, I'm not quite sure that Flattery is a good guy, but at least he's more misguided than bad on purpose.

Baraka, how about ebay?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

martinburo wrote:Freakzilla, I think you really do need to reread TJI. Ship is in about every chapter, talking to all the good guys. Well, I'm not quite sure that Flattery is a good guy, but at least he's more misguided than bad on purpose.

Baraka, how about ebay?
But we learn almost nothing about ship except that he's added on some grow rooms. Maybe FH wanted Ship to be mysterious, but I was left craving more. I only read it a few months ago.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
martinburo wrote:Freakzilla, I think you really do need to reread TJI. Ship is in about every chapter, talking to all the good guys. Well, I'm not quite sure that Flattery is a good guy, but at least he's more misguided than bad on purpose.

Baraka, how about ebay?
But we learn almost nothing about ship except that he's added on some grow rooms. Maybe FH wanted Ship to be mysterious, but I was left craving more. I only read it a few months ago.
Left curious about what exactly he'd been up to with the history of humanity? I was left wanting more of that myself, but I guess it wasn't really necessary to the story, and FH figured it was better left up to people's imaginations.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

Baraka, how about ebay?
Left curious about what exactly he'd been up to with the history of humanity? I was left wanting more of that myself, but I guess it wasn't really necessary to the story, and FH figured it was better left up to people's imaginations.
We'd better stop talking about this before Pinky & The Brian start writing VoidShip books. They'd probably do a 12 book series for each incarnation of humanity.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I know I said Heaven Makers earlier in this thread, but I'm changing my answer, this weekend I just read The Green Brain. That one took me awhile and now takes my #1 spot on the worst list. Soul Catcher wasn't bad though.
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

I think we have now firmly established that Dune Messiah is the worst book :P It must be if PoD is better.......
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Tleilax Master B wrote:I think we have now firmly established that Dune Messiah is the worst book :P It must be if PoD is better.......
Irrefutable logic. :puke:
~Pink Snowman
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Freakzilla wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:I think we have now firmly established that Dune Messiah is the worst book :P It must be if PoD is better.......
Irrefutable logic. :puke:
Plus it makes sense.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:...I was left craving more.
We'd better stop talking about this before Pinky & The Brian start writing VoidShip books. They'd probably do a 12 book series for each incarnation of humanity.
I was thinking the same thing as I read your first comment. :shock: DON'T give them any ideas!!!
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

SandChigger wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:...I was left craving more.
I was thinking the same thing as I read your first comment. :shock: DON'T give them any ideas!!!
But, I assume part of the copyright still belongs to Ransom (Chig had mentioned that Ransom is only a couple years older than Brian, and considering all the time Frank spent with him "coffee every morning" gotta wonder if some jealously not involved).
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I wonder if BH has ever blown off Ransom?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I mentioned that to Teg the other day after having gone through DoD looking for info on the plane thing. Brian describes his father and Ransom's relationship as being extraordinarily close despite the difference in their ages, and I couldn't help but wonder if there wasn't some jealousy involved at the time. (Or afterwards.)

They (Brian and the HLP) certainly didn't treat McNelly, another FH friend, very well, now did they?

:?:
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

I absolutely loved The White Plague - it came cose to Dune in the many layers of themes, and depth of the main characters. That said, it is sort of detectiv-y and slow; I just liked that too.
And I loved the president scenes, which said a lot about FH's looks on power and politics.

Destination: Void and beyond I liked, but they were, in terms of craftmanship, worldbuilding and execution, not nearly as good as Dune. You got the idea of cool characters, themes, plot and exposition on religion; but it never rang as... deep as FH's best work. Not bad books, IMO, but neither were they great - OK-good books with great themes.

The worst:

The Green Brain. One idea, drawn out only to be hammered home by character exposition in the end - no good.

Direct Descent. Childrens stuff, not very well done. You got the idea of a single FH theme hiding in there, but it went nowhere.

The Godmakers. Was only saved by being so goddamned weird and seeming like an over-the-top star trek episode. There was ideas and themes in there, but man did it fly by fast.
Secher Nbiw

Post by Secher Nbiw »

Apparently I'm the only person who loved Godmakers. It was fun, it was light, it had a lot of Dune-elements locked into the story...

the Tleilaxu were in there, you even had the Bene Gesserit making an appearance...

but the novel I really disliked... Destination Void... I could not get through that one. It was just too much gobbly-gook and mumbo jumbo. I like the Organic Mental Cores as a concept... but after that... it just failed to keep me interested.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Secher Nbiw wrote:Apparently I'm the only person who loved Godmakers. It was fun, it was light, it had a lot of Dune-elements locked into the story...

the Tleilaxu were in there, you even had the Bene Gesserit making an appearance...

but the novel I really disliked... Destination Void... I could not get through that one. It was just too much gobbly-gook and mumbo jumbo. I like the Organic Mental Cores as a concept... but after that... it just failed to keep me interested.
You really should finish D:V, the ending is great.
~Pink Snowman
Secher Nbiw

Post by Secher Nbiw »

Freakzilla wrote: You really should finish D:V, the ending is great.
I got to the end eventually, but the whole trip wasn't a pleasant one. It just dragged.

It's got a couple of smashing ideas... but the excecution is just so dull and lifeless that those ideas just fall away.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I just acquired a used copy of Destination: Void for $1. Perhaps after I finish A Clash of Kings I'll start reading it. Is it really bad? Regardless, I'm sure its worth the $1 I spent on it.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Tleszer wrote:I just acquired a used copy of Destination: Void for $1. Perhaps after I finish A Clash of Kings I'll start reading it. Is it really bad? Regardless, I'm sure its worth the $1 I spent on it.
It's got a lot of technobable about their attempt at building an AI, but if you can get past that or understand that, it's good.
~Pink Snowman
orald

Post by orald »

Tleszer wrote:I just acquired a used copy of Destination: Void for $1. Perhaps after I finish A Clash of Kings I'll start reading it. Is it really bad? Regardless, I'm sure its worth the $1 I spent on it.
No, no! You must continue to A Storm of Swords and A Feast for Crows and only then read D:V!

Uh, shit, I'm locked between FH and GRRM, help! :o

I hope ADwD actually gets out by the end of the year, I need my Jon&Arya&Tyrion fix baaaaad... :cry:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
A Thing of Eternity

D:V = Good. It's dryer than a Churchill martini, but it's good.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

orald wrote:
No, no! You must continue to A Storm of Swords and A Feast for Crows and only then read D:V!

Uh, shit, I'm locked between FH and GRRM, help! :o

I hope ADwD actually gets out by the end of the year, I need my Jon&Arya&Tyrion fix baaaaad... :cry:
OK! I'll continue with A Song of Ice and Fire. :lol: So far I think my favorite character is Tyrion. I like how almost no one is safe from his wit.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie