Big surprise - new Dune director doesn't get it either

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Tleilax Master B wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:You are all correct, of course. They will butcher this movie. But what I think is interesting is how KJA keeps referring to "us"--the Orthodox Herbertarians"--as "fanatics." Its interesting that Byron now uses the OH term when referring to us, I wonder if there isn't a deliberate and concerted effort for KJA and Brian H (on his rare public appearances) to NOT use that term in public in an attempt to avoid validating us in some way??
KJA will be at Dragon Con in Atlanta in August, maybe I'll ask him. :wink:
Hehe, sweet. He would shit his pants if you raised your hands and said "Hi, I go by the name Freakzilla on the official site, and I have a few questions for you..." :D Watch his comb-over ass squirm!
I'm seriously considering it.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Just don't go by yourself.

They're probably nothing to worry about, in reality, but the fanboys have mouthfarted about violence before.

Last resort of the incompetent, and all that. :wink:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Really? :shock: I can't imagine someone liking KJA that much.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Freakzilla wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:You are all correct, of course. They will butcher this movie. But what I think is interesting is how KJA keeps referring to "us"--the Orthodox Herbertarians"--as "fanatics." Its interesting that Byron now uses the OH term when referring to us, I wonder if there isn't a deliberate and concerted effort for KJA and Brian H (on his rare public appearances) to NOT use that term in public in an attempt to avoid validating us in some way??
Hehe, sweet. He would shit his pants if you raised your hands and said "Hi, I go by the name Freakzilla on the official site, and I have a few questions for you..." :D Watch his comb-over ass squirm!

Do it Freak! As for security, I bet you could find onsight security if you needed it, Dragon Con gets some burly types attending :twisted:

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:Really? :shock: I can't imagine someone liking KJA that much.
You obviously don't hang around his MySpace page or blog, then.

(Thank gawd I turn the sound off. The slurps and lipsmacks from all the cyberfellation going on must be deafening. :shock: )
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

Freakzilla wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
I am in a gang in ATL, holla at me and I will shoot that muthafucka up if he touches your ass (or any other part of you)
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SandChigger wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Really? :shock: I can't imagine someone liking KJA that much.
You obviously don't hang around his MySpace page or blog, then.

(Thank gawd I turn the sound off. The slurps and lipsmacks from all the cyberfellation going on must be deafening. :shock: )
:lol: :lol:
Freak wrote:I'm seriously considering it.
Go ahead Freak, that could be your Blazes of glory from DNBBS... :mrgreen:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Pushtrak wrote:Not really seeing where the pearls of laughter are from.
The guy attacks blogging ... and then admits he doesn't know anything about blogs. And that was just one of the many asinine things he managed to do that day.

He got roasted for his idiocy, and rightly so. I could provide about 30 links without even trying, but that would take us pretty afield of the topic. He's the director's cousin, not the actual director.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Or directeur, in Andersonese? :D
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Just watched the clip.

"Gratuitous potshots and mean-spirited abuse." Yeah!

Think they've seen my blog, too?! :D
orald

Post by orald »

You're wrong, Chig. As the Fremen learn from birth, alot of times there's just no time for leisurely(sp?) talk and blood must be spilled.

Such is the case of the Dune Abominations! :x
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

KILL THE HERETICS! ups sorry, got carried away for being called fanatic by KJA, can someone post a link where he says those kinds of things, i want to see his idiocy other than in the novels.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
EsperandoAGodot

Post by EsperandoAGodot »

I can't say I'm terribly flustered, because I've come to expect little out of screen adaptations in general.

On the other hand, Peter Jackson's credentials were mostly schlock before the Lord of the Rings films, and those came out alright.

On the other other hand, Jackson had passion for that world and fought to get those films made. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

::shrug::

No movie adaptation can ruin the book. I'm not optimistic, but I'm open to being pleasantly surprised.
DUNE - Chronicles of the Imperium
A free-form, forum based RPG
http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_war ... 346/p1/?11
Launched and ready to fire.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Jackson's artistic credibility was established with Heavenly Creatures, despite his mostly gore-tastic resume up to that point. And Jackson, through interviews, revealed that he understood the Tolkien material and the themes involved. The biggest doubt with the Lord of the Rings adaptations was the execution, not the understanding.

In the case of the HLP, Peter Berg and Dune, it's been quite clear from the onset that none of these people understand the material and only vaguely grasp the themes of Herbert. What's more, Berg has yet to produce any credible film worthy of note artistically.

No doubt they've dismissed all the naysayers as angry fan boy venom, but sometimes the bashing is bashing for a very good reason. Much like life, there is no rule book and each film must stand or fall on it's own merits as it's own case. They can't just hire a director, throw money at it and hope one of Dune's subtexts attracts the "environmentally conscious" movie going public.

Jackson and New Line made Lord of the Rings because they believed in the material and the importance of Tolkien's story.

Berg and Paramount are making Dune because they can see potential for an action/adventure film for the 20-something enviro-nazi market.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
EsperandoAGodot

GamePlayer wrote:Jackson's artistic credibility was established with Heavenly Creatures, despite his mostly gore-tastic resume up to that point.
Ah! I had forgotten that movie.
GamePlayer wrote:And Jackson, through interviews, revealed that he understood the Tolkien material and the themes involved. The biggest doubt with the Lord of the Rings adaptations was the execution, not the understanding.
I believe that was my "other other hand." Sad, really, who's in charge...
GamePlayer wrote:What's more, Berg has yet to produce any credible film worthy of note artistically.
All I'm saying is that this fact doesn't necessarily disqualify him as a competent director.

Other facts do, yes, but this one doesn't.
GamePlayer wrote:No doubt they've dismissed all the naysayers as angry fan boy venom, but sometimes the bashing is bashing for a very good reason. Much like life, there is no rule book and each film must stand or fall on it's own merits as it's own case. They can't just hire a director, throw money at it and hope one of Dune's subtexts attracts the "environmentally conscious" movie going public.
I agree, and I wish they'd shown that they cared more, but like I said - I'm used to this crap, by now, so I just ignore it. I'll probably read up on the news, but I'm not being optimistic. Likewise, I don't feel like making a big deal out of it.
GamePlayer wrote:Berg and Paramount are making Dune because they can see potential for an action/adventure film for the 20-something enviro-nazi market.
Well, given that he doesn't seem to care about the environmental themes, either, I can't see that it's for anything other than action-movie money.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Perhaps not, but the public statements Berg and Paramount have released so far indicate they see market potential (translation: a way to make money off people) in Dune's environmental subtext. Granted, from a business perspective, there's nothing wrong with making money. But this is a film and they should be talking about making it into a great story people want to see. Instead, Berg and Paramount are appealing to the lowest common denominator because a part of Dune's subtext can be used to exploit a modern socio-political demographic.

At any rate, it sounds like we're on the same page and I agree that the damage has already been done to this new Dune adaptation. But that doesn't mean that Berg-Dune won't be unintentionally entertaining. I am very much looking forward to the casting, which should be laughably awful :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Once this new Kenau Reeves travesty tanks, maybe the Dune movie will just go away.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

GamePlayer wrote:Jackson's artistic credibility was established with Heavenly Creatures ...
... not to mention The Frighteners.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

The biggest problem with this film IMHO isn't the director (who is unproven, not necessarily crap) or the co-producers (see: Dune RPG - Hacks getting impressive titles for f-all input) - it's the fact it's a film.

Without being split in two, I can't see this film being anything other than a repeat of Lynch's Dune.

Rushed groundwork in the first half, all the characters killed halfway though. Then another rush and a montage to finish the film in less than 3 hours. It does not bode well, even without the Hacks cocking it up. :(
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Amen, brethren.

A two- or three-hour Dune directed by Hitchcock himself still wouldn't be that good. This is a story that needs to be allowed some room to breathe.

Honestly, I think Dune would shine in an HBO-type format. Say something like six or eight episodes? That would be teh r0ckZOrz.
EsperandoAGodot

GamePlayer wrote:Perhaps not, but the public statements Berg and Paramount have released so far indicate they see market potential (translation: a way to make money off people) in Dune's environmental subtext. Granted, from a business perspective, there's nothing wrong with making money. But this is a film and they should be talking about making it into a great story people want to see. Instead, Berg and Paramount are appealing to the lowest common denominator because a part of Dune's subtext can be used to exploit a modern socio-political demographic.
And the worst part is, they're being brazen about it.

But anyway, didn't Berg say that the themes are there but he doesn't really care much about them? I mean that quote needn't be taken quite so terribly. Frankly, it makes him sound like someone who's been working hard on the process of adapting the story for a movie. Dune is a daunting work. In order to distill it and make it into a successful screenplay, you need to figure out where the actual story hangs. For a screenwriter, everything else is themes and window dressing - they don't have the same luxury a novelist does.

So yes, it could just be Peter Berg speaking pedantically and sounding like an ass about something that's really rather benign, i.e. the process of adapting an epic novel into a screenplay.

Or he could be retarded.
GamePlayer wrote:At any rate, it sounds like we're on the same page and I agree that the damage has already been done to this new Dune adaptation. But that doesn't mean that Berg-Dune won't be unintentionally entertaining. I am very much looking forward to the casting, which should be laughably awful :)
I mean, or there's always a chance this won't be without its salvageable points. There's even a small chance it can come off as a good movie, even if it's not really good Dune.

Fuck, if ornithopters flap their wings and warriors use swords instead of guns and the Eyes of Ibad are flat blue in blue instead of a sort of glowy rotoscoping technique that doesn't even appear consistently and the Baron doesn't float around...I'll count it as a win.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

But wasn't Berg already spouting off before they chose what's-his-name as the screenwriter?

Has there been any more news about this project?

Didn't one of the hacks say something in one of the interviews about there being a limit on the option, that they had to have a screenplay by the end of the month or it would be lost?

(And wasn't that in September or October?)
EsperandoAGodot

SandChigger wrote:But wasn't Berg already spouting off before they chose what's-his-name as the screenwriter?
Chances are he's heard a thing or two about page-to-screen adaptations.

Or, our worst fears are realized.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:But wasn't Berg already spouting off before they chose what's-his-name as the screenwriter?

Has there been any more news about this project?

Didn't one of the hacks say something in one of the interviews about there being a limit on the option, that they had to have a screenplay by the end of the month or it would be lost?

(And wasn't that in September or October?)
They said that at a book signing. And I suppose no news is bad news.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Was that at the signing you dropped in on?