Big surprise - new Dune director doesn't get it either

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Jakob von Gunten

Big surprise - new Dune director doesn't get it either

Post by Jakob von Gunten »

Looks like Brian and Kevin picked just the right guy to direct Dune (The Next Generation). Read the last paragraph (and weep):

http://film.guardian.co.uk/interview/in ... 20,00.html
My merit is not to be totally ineffectual but to have wanted to be.
- E.M. Cioran
Pushtrak

Post by Pushtrak »

His IMDB page creates apprehension. This bodes for disaster. Bet he is the type who would say Death Proof is Tarantino at his best.
And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good?
-need we ask anyone to tell us these things?
-Robert Pirsig, Zen and the art of Motorcycle maintenance
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

"The hype around it is understandable but it's a little excessive. The fanatics are worried I'm going to destroy it - I'm like calm down, I read the book when I was a kid too! If you re-read it - it's just a great adventure story. There is a spirituality to it, and a mysticism, and there is a parallel metaphorically about oil, the corporatisation of resources - but at the end of the day, it's about a kid becoming a leader. There's incredible action in it and really great intrigue and betrayals, it's Shakespearean in its scope and I think it'll be a blast."
:crazy: :tissue2:

Indeed, that's how KJA sees Dune also...

The rest of what he says is not so bad,but it feels too much like a big blockbuster movie...Dune is NOT about "incredible action"... :roll:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

i'll make the picket signs and prepare the molatov cocktails now then shall i? :lol:
I am a mortal god.
orald

Post by orald »

I'll send the bomb and anthrax letters.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

do we have a corporate lawyer here? no? ah well, i'll just have to wing it when writing the death threats to be sent out before lunch then.
I am a mortal god.
trang

Post by trang »

He appears to be status que hollywood butplug, shallow as water in a teaspoon.

Paul is just a kid trying to become a leader, yeeeeeeeeeeeaa-riiiiigght!!
nevermind the whole messiah, superbeing thing, which is layed out in, what the first ten pages of the book?

Maybe he will slip and strangle himself at one of the after hancock parties, and end the misery early.

Argh!!
Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

trang

Post by trang »

I guess the one bright spot is that the "Fanatics" must be having an effect, to be mentioned:) Full steam ahead, mates, lets drive this Orthodox Herbertarian Ship(OHS) Right up their ass!!

FH Likeness at the prow, OHS Caladan, Full Sails, man the 150 cannons, were gaining on them!!!

HAr!!
Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

trang wrote:I guess the one bright spot is that the "Fanatics" must be having an effect, to be mentioned:) Full steam ahead, mates, lets drive this Orthodox Herbertarian Ship(OHS) Right up their ass!!

FH Likeness at the prow, OHS Caladan, Full Sails, man the 150 cannons, were gaining on them!!!

HAr!!
Trang
I thought that was a good sign too. I also take it to mean the people who aren't concerned aren't fanatics, just wanna be fan-boys.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

SWEET! We're finally going to be able to SEE the stuff FH only hinted at!! :D
orald

Post by orald »

Don't you mean the stuff he was too lazy and forgetful to include in the first place? :P

Talk about work ethics here, KJA and Brian work(s) several hours a day writing these things, not spreading it over 20 years.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Now you've got it!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

One more reason to dislike it. And the hits just keep on coming :)
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

do we even need to comment, really? i mean, the more they say about this, the more they're just digging themselves into a big hole. its a shame we can't buy stock in footbullets, between this thing and the scientologists, we'd be very, very rich.....
I am a mortal god.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Say a prayer for Dune people, another ass hole hollywood director about to shit it all up. I know a few independent directors who would understand the novel and bring THAT into the movie, maybe even Peter Jackson, but hollywood directors? They will rip out all the philosophy and make it into a star wars flick. Watch Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence and LEARN you presumptious hoolywood pricks!
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Peter Berg can get the job done; Friday Night Lights was excellent, to grab one example. It just remains to be seen if he can work some magic with Dune.

I admit to some skepticism ... and the whole "I read it as a kid" line makes him look like a complete clown. But I'm much more worried about Hack 1 and Hack 2 being allowed anywhere near the project, honestly.

(Sidebar: Hollywood is going to eat Brian Herbert alive, if he even bothers to go. The real powers-that-be on the film will be universally ignoring him within six hours, guaranteed. KJA, on the other hand, should feel right at home surrounded by other money-grubbing assholes).
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Well, no wonder where he gets the "Fanatics" part; he's been brief by KJA and the HLP :

KJA : Now Peter, before we start this project, we must tell you about these "Talifans" that keeps destroying our reputation on the net... :evil:

Berg : "Talifans"?! Isn't that pushing a bit Kev? You insult Dune fans by calling them names? :roll:

KJA : :shock: :mad: :Adolf: Shut up Berg !! If you wanna keep doing this project, you better go the way i tell you to see things, right?! :x

Berg : :shock: Er...ok Kev, i think you are right,indeed...

:crazy:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ah...that's it! I had another look at Berg's IMDB page; he played one of the doctors on "Chicago Hope". I knew there was some reason I had this image of him being the guy who just played dorky characters. Never particularly liked his character. ;)

The only thing he's directed that I've seen so far is Very Bad Things, which was on one of my satellite movie channels. OK, but I wouldn't have rented it myself, just watched it because it was on and, like, already paid for. A friend at work loaned me a bunch of CDs last week; The Kingdom is among them; maybe I'll watch it tonight. Found and watched some trailers for Hancock yesterday...wasn't particularly impressed, to be honest: it really doesn't look like something I would go to the theater to see.

This user comment about Friday Night Lights was interesting (emphasis added):
As one who thoroughly enjoyed Bissinger's book, I found myself shaking my head during the movie over the deviations from the book. There are many of them and some reviewers have already done an excellent job of pointing them out, so I feel no need to repeat them. This is not a movie altering fiction, this is a movie changing facts and events that really did happen. None of my three movie companions had read the book and they all enjoyed the movie more than I, who wondered how these changes were making the story better. In case anyone is confused, the author was following the team during this season, he did not simply choose afterword to write about that season. Bissinger wrote a great book, but was extremely fortunate that the season he chose to follow the team turned out to be one full of interesting twists. I hope everyone enjoys the movie, and if you did, I strongly encourage you to read the book!
That last seems prophetic, what?

(This was also on the same page under Trivia: "Buzz Bissinger, who wrote the book on which the movie is based, and director and co-writer Peter Berg are cousins." GamePlayer...any info?)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

To paraphrase a great movie, Berg is what I call twilight; he ain't Mann and he ain't Boll and doesn't deserve the attention that either receives.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I originally read Friday Night Lights in the first week it was out, and have since revisited it twice. The movie does an admirable job of condensing a much-longer book into two hours of entertainment. The core themes and events from the book are all retained in the movie; changes are generally minor.

Berg and Bissinger are cousins. Bissinger, BTW, recently received much unwanted attention when he lost his mind on a popular HBO show and sent the interwebs into peals of laughter for two or three days. He then issued one of those "non-apology apologies" that made him look like even more of a dickhead.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

You are all correct, of course. They will butcher this movie. But what I think is interesting is how KJA keeps referring to "us"--the Orthodox Herbertarians"--as "fanatics." Its interesting that Byron now uses the OH term when referring to us, I wonder if there isn't a deliberate and concerted effort for KJA and Brian H (on his rare public appearances) to NOT use that term in public in an attempt to avoid validating us in some way??
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Tleilax Master B wrote:You are all correct, of course. They will butcher this movie. But what I think is interesting is how KJA keeps referring to "us"--the Orthodox Herbertarians"--as "fanatics." Its interesting that Byron now uses the OH term when referring to us, I wonder if there isn't a deliberate and concerted effort for KJA and Brian H (on his rare public appearances) to NOT use that term in public in an attempt to avoid validating us in some way??
KJA will be at Dragon Con in Atlanta in August, maybe I'll ask him. :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Pushtrak

Post by Pushtrak »

TheDukester wrote:Berg and Bissinger are cousins. Bissinger, BTW, recently received much unwanted attention when he lost his mind on a popular HBO show and sent the interwebs into peals of laughter for two or three days. He then issued one of those "non-apology apologies" that made him look like even more of a dickhead.
I'm not a sports fan, don't follow it, but looking at the video, I was expecting it to be worse than you let on.

He is giving out about blogs that are nothing more than attacks on character. Seems to me he'd be against tabloids as well by that definition. He uses some flowery language, but its evident its something he feels strongly about. Not really seeing where the pearls of laughter are from.
And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good?
-need we ask anyone to tell us these things?
-Robert Pirsig, Zen and the art of Motorcycle maintenance
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Freakzilla wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:You are all correct, of course. They will butcher this movie. But what I think is interesting is how KJA keeps referring to "us"--the Orthodox Herbertarians"--as "fanatics." Its interesting that Byron now uses the OH term when referring to us, I wonder if there isn't a deliberate and concerted effort for KJA and Brian H (on his rare public appearances) to NOT use that term in public in an attempt to avoid validating us in some way??
KJA will be at Dragon Con in Atlanta in August, maybe I'll ask him. :wink:
Hehe, sweet. He would shit his pants if you raised your hands and said "Hi, I go by the name Freakzilla on the official site, and I have a few questions for you..." :D Watch his comb-over ass squirm!