Big surprise - new Dune director doesn't get it either

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

EsperandoAGodot

Post by EsperandoAGodot »

Omphalos wrote:
SandChigger wrote:But wasn't Berg already spouting off before they chose what's-his-name as the screenwriter?

Has there been any more news about this project?

Didn't one of the hacks say something in one of the interviews about there being a limit on the option, that they had to have a screenplay by the end of the month or it would be lost?

(And wasn't that in September or October?)
They said that at a book signing. And I suppose no news is bad news.
Actually, I'd imagine if the company dropped the project, somebody would have made a big deal about it.
DUNE - Chronicles of the Imperium
A free-form, forum based RPG
http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_war ... 346/p1/?11
Launched and ready to fire.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

EsperandoAGodot wrote:And the worst part is, they're being brazen about it.

But anyway, didn't Berg say that the themes are there but he doesn't really care much about them? I mean that quote needn't be taken quite so terribly. Frankly, it makes him sound like someone who's been working hard on the process of adapting the story for a movie. Dune is a daunting work. In order to distill it and make it into a successful screenplay, you need to figure out where the actual story hangs. For a screenwriter, everything else is themes and window dressing - they don't have the same luxury a novelist does.

So yes, it could just be Peter Berg speaking pedantically and sounding like an ass about something that's really rather benign, i.e. the process of adapting an epic novel into a screenplay.

Or he could be retarded.
I'll take retarded for a thousand, Alex. :)

Personally, I see little cause to doubt the critics. Not every fan critical of Berg's Dune is demanding the new film follow some narrowly defined list of must-haves as laid down in stone by the geek elite of the all powerful internet. We also aren't being critical just for the sake of being critical. Some of us do have perspective.

What I do see in articles about Berg-Dune is all the wrong ideas. They hire Berg, whose films have all the subtlety and subtext of a UFC match; looks like he learned little from Mann. Then Paramount hires Hollywood's latest hard-on, Zetumer, to pen the thing, who from what I can piece together on this near-unknown, is another pretentious screenwriter that talks Kubrick but writes McG. And then we get shit like this:
As the article notes, "The filmmakers consider its theme of finite ecological resources particularly timely."
Berg: There is a sense in the book that the commodity is driving the train. But I don’t want to hang the story on that. I read the book and really liked it. What I never saw in Lynch’s film was a really strong adventure story. There’s a much more muscular time to be had there.
Now which muscle would that be? The one in Berg's anus? Doesn't sound like he's using the muscle on top of his shoulders, except to stick it through the muscle in his backside. :)

Seriously, I'm just looking for one sign that the filmmakers understand the material and don't plan Dune as the next I, Robot-in-name-only. But from what I'm reading, the new Dune is well on it's way down the Hollywood gamut into a fate as repackaged, obtuse summer action flick. I want to hear someone involved with the film say they aren't going to focus the film on one subtext like the ecology and instead endeavour to create an adaptation as substantive as possible. I want to hear from some script writer who isn't afraid of the complexity of Dune, but actually embraces the challenge to do the deep, multi-layered world of the novel justice. I want to hear from a DP who says they have a great idea for the visual motif of the film that will work brilliantly with the subtlety of the script. I want to hear from a director who doesn't spout "muscular adventure" for a story that is anything but.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that's too much to ask from a proper Dune adaptation.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

EsperandoAGodot wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
SandChigger wrote:But wasn't Berg already spouting off before they chose what's-his-name as the screenwriter?

Has there been any more news about this project?

Didn't one of the hacks say something in one of the interviews about there being a limit on the option, that they had to have a screenplay by the end of the month or it would be lost?

(And wasn't that in September or October?)
They said that at a book signing. And I suppose no news is bad news.
Actually, I'd imagine if the company dropped the project, somebody would have made a big deal about it.
Taht is what I am saying. The bad news is that they are still making the damn thing.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
EsperandoAGodot

GamePlayer wrote:I'll take retarded for a thousand, Alex. :)

Personally, I see little cause to doubt the critics. Not every fan critical of Berg's Dune is demanding the new film follow some narrowly defined list of must-haves as laid down in stone by the geek elite of the all powerful internet. We also aren't being critical just for the sake of being critical. Some of us do have perspective.
And I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I still see it as a negative, but having spoken to a number of people who write stage and screen adaptations of novels, there's a chance - perhaps a slim one - that what he's saying is nothing all that controversial, despite being poorly phrased.

I don't think it'll be good, but I'd like it to be.
GamePlayer wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that's too much to ask from a proper Dune adaptation.
Absolutely not too much to ask.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

There is more here than meets the eye. One of the most important things is corporate politics. Big corporations are bureaucracies that often promote people who are best at covering their asses. Such people run scared, fearful of any suggestion they can make mistakes. And they surround themselves with others who run the same way.

Don't take risks.

Find out what succeeds and copy it.

Some of the most successful practitioners plagiarize and steal without a qualm, knowing they can stall their victims for years with expensive legal maneuvers. Creativity often has little to do with movie making except when writing promotional copy.

~FH, Intro to Eye
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

EsperandoAGodot wrote:And I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I still see it as a negative, but having spoken to a number of people who write stage and screen adaptations of novels, there's a chance - perhaps a slim one - that what he's saying is nothing all that controversial, despite being poorly phrased.

I don't think it'll be good, but I'd like it to be.
Most of us want a new Dune film to be good; especially as fans. Look at my posts back on Dumbnovels and you'll see I was all for a new Dune adaptation. But that was before they hired all the wrong people and said all the wrong things in each news story.

Perhaps quotes from the filmmakers were misstated or not given much thought. But taken as a whole, I see more cause to be concerned for this new Dune adaptation than I do for celebration. No one would be happier than I if this new Dune film was an entertaining, faithful adaptation filled with fine performances, wonderful intrigue and a few grand, epic battles. But my analysis of everything so far tells me tis not to be :)
EsperandoAGodot

Agreed. I'm just saying that this particular quote we're discussing is not necessarily a death knell - there's no indication so far that they're handling the material well, but there's no proof yet they're not.

I'm not optimistic, but so far I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt where possible.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Exactly. I think the new Dune is going to suck and that's not based on just one quote. Besides, I've followed more than enough pre-productions through to release to pick up on a vibe I don't like. No ones perfect and I may be wrong, it's just not likely in this case. I'd rather state an opinion and be accused of arrogance than bury my head in the sand when my gut is telling me a turd is coming down the Hollywood sewer pipe :)

It's all about chance; you make as informed a choice as possible and live with it. Berg-Dune? I'm not taking a chance on that, not based on the people involved or the press released thus far. The cast is going to be really telling; it's either be really awful or a desperate grab at legitimacy. If it's actually good, I'll eat crow :)

Berg-Dune is a download, as the kids say these days.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I'll see it in theaters, I cant pass that up regardless of how shitty this is going to likely be, but like I've mentioned before, I'll pay for a different movie and then just walk into Dune so KJA doesn't get my money.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

For me, it depends on how [well] the promotional copy is written.

:wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
EsperandoAGodot

We may get a chance to see some of Zetumer's writing soon.
" 'The Infiltrator' is a thinking-man's action movie," Zetumer says. "It's got these big set-pieces, but at the same time it's kind of an anti-James Bond film. It's inspired mainly by John le Carre, but with a good dose of 'The Bourne Identity' thrown in."
If he manages to actually pull that off, I'll at least be more confident in the Script.
Zetumer is working on another dramatic script he wants to set up independently. "Once that's finished, I'd love to do a big science-fiction epic fantasy," he says. "It's about time my characters started having some fun."
Cute. Real Cute.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111796 ... =2607&cs=1
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

My stance remains unchanged: I want it to fail and fail majorly and I want the stench of it to follow these idiots around until they die. :evil:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote:My stance remains unchanged: I want it to fail and fail majorly and I want the stench of it to follow these idiots around until they die. :evil:
Gotta agree.

I don't feel good about cheering against a Dune movie that is based on FH's work, but I just can't get around the fact that Hacky and The Sidekick will be so involved. There's no two people on earth who have done more to destroy FH's legacy, so why in hell would I want them or their ridiculous movie to succeed?

I'd be happy to cheer for Dune 2010 the minute the two idiots announce they are leaving the project, but that ain't gonna happen. When's the last time KJA ever passed up easy money?

It looks like I'll just stick to my SciFi versions, both of which I like very much. Especially the hats.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

The hats were the best part. As much as I would like to see a decent movie adaptation of Dune, I don't really want to pay Bri-Bri and Kevvy. Maybe it would make a decent "double feature." :wink:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I'm definitely NOT hoping it will fail. Hollywood destroys more than enough fine works of literature with their monstrous adaptations, they won't get my support ruining another, even if all I could contribute is negative word of mouth. I want this film to succeed, but at the rate it's going, not even Muad'Dib himself could see a golden path for this tragic production.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Tleszer wrote:The hats were the best part.
Are y'all trying to piss me off? :x
~Pink Snowman
EsperandoAGodot

GamePlayer wrote:I'm definitely NOT hoping it will fail. Hollywood destroys more than enough fine works of literature with their monstrous adaptations, they won't get my support ruining another, even if all I could contribute is negative word of mouth. I want this film to succeed, but at the rate it's going, not even Muad'Dib himself could see a golden path for this tragic production.
That's pretty much my stance. I could care less if BH and KJA are involved so long as they aren't involved enough to mangle it; that is to say, their involvement isn't encouraging, but hey, I'm not willing to write it off because it's supposed to be based on FH's Dune.

So yeah...things aren't looking good, but...it'd be great if they could...
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lookin' California but feelin' Minnesota
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
EsperandoAGodot

My, what a lovely hat!
SandRider
Watermaster

517/8

Post by SandRider »

................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SandRider wrote:Image
Hoh! (diva gasp) Does that come in PINK.

:roll:

You can always rationalize it this way:

It won't be Frank Herbert's Dune.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Freakzilla wrote:lookin' California but feelin' Minnesota
I LOVE that song :)

I'm feelin'
Oh, I'm feeling outshined, outshined, outshined, outshined,

AAAAAHHHHH, yeaaaaahhhaaaaaa!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:lookin' California but feelin' Minnesota
I LOVE that song :)

I'm feelin'
Oh, I'm feeling outshined, outshined, outshined, outshined,

AAAAAHHHHH, yeaaaaahhhaaaaaa!
I love the scene in True Romance where Brad Pit is sitting on the couch smoking a honey bear bong and the mafia walk in while it's playing on the stereo.

The guitar is great, some of the best screams in that song too.
~Pink Snowman
EsperandoAGodot

How much of that has to do with the actress, though?

Or do you just have a Victorian fetish? :wink: