So about that "unlimited special effects budget"..

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Jakob von Gunten

So about that "unlimited special effects budget"..

Post by Jakob von Gunten »

anyone notice that the director of the upcoming Dune movie is the same guy that just did this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448157/

Judging from the trailer and clips I've seen, it looks like Berg will be right on board with the BH and KJA "zap! pow! bam!" aesthetic. Yuck.

Contrast that with this more refreshing take on modern special effects and action shooting:

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/holl ... ntPage=all

(And for you friends of L. Ron notice that Will Smith is purported to be big into scientology now. Maybe KJA knows something about Berg we don't know :wink: ).
My merit is not to be totally ineffectual but to have wanted to be.
- E.M. Cioran
Pushtrak

Post by Pushtrak »

Looking up Peter Berg on IMDB and the rating his work has received isn't going to make one optimistic.
And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good?
-need we ask anyone to tell us these things?
-Robert Pirsig, Zen and the art of Motorcycle maintenance
Illogical Banana

Post by Illogical Banana »

Will Smith had some decent explanations about his views and why he looked into scientology. Something along the lines of exploring many religions to find his own spirituality. But I read an article about him donating $1,000,000 to open up a scientology school recently, so I'm not too sure about his explanations now. :?
“But what is the good of friendship if one cannot say exactly what one means? Anybody can say charming things and try to please and to flatter, but a true friend always says unpleasant things, and does not mind giving pain. Indeed, if he is a really true friend he prefers it, for he knows that then he is doing good.” -Oscar Wilde
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

KEEP IT COMING! I LOVE IT! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
malika

Post by malika »

I thought Will Smith converted to Islam after shooting Ali or something? Hmm...bah Scientology...they better not have Tom Cruise play Paul Atreides!

PLEASE DONT TURN DUNE INTO SOME SCIENTOLOGY PROPAGANDA CRAPFEST!!!
Jakob von Gunten

Post by Jakob von Gunten »

umm....maybe there really is something to the scientology thing:

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/12/21/co ... in-a-salt/

And according to that page, Berg is “a huge fan of the book” so everything should be a-ok :wink:
My merit is not to be totally ineffectual but to have wanted to be.
- E.M. Cioran
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

he confirmed the rumor that “Dune” is coming
Yeah, yeah, so is Jesus. For the last two millennia, what? :roll: (Looks like "Behold I come quickly" really was an admission of being a premature ejaculator. :shock: )
Berg also confirmed that even before “Dune,” he’s likely to direct Tom Cruise in his next film. Berg called the script about a CIA agent on the run after being accused of being a spy “great” and “a great role for Tom.”

Berg described the story as an “action thriller” and that “the audience is trying to figure out whether this character is good or bad. He’s claiming one thing and we’re not sure up until the very end.”
Tom is Paul. Paul is dead. Dead. A ruckus...Dumb...Desert this Project! :twisted:
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

major hollywood remake of Dune = same treatment as all other remakes = pile of crap.
as for all of L.Ron's buddies, we can confirm that Will Smith is opening a school using Hubbard techniques. damn scif@g.
I am a mortal god.
orald

Post by orald »

malika wrote:PLEASE DONT TURN DUNE INTO SOME SCIENTOLOGY PROPAGANDA CRAPFEST!!!
Oops, too late. :oops:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Berg has yet to make a decent film, IMO. It'll be no surprise should Dune turn out crap. So far every interview, decision and name attached to this project has been one lousy development after another. Paramount is keen on the environmental angle of the book (which was supposed to be a subtext, not the point), they've hired an action film screenwriter to pen the fucking thing and Peter Berg has yet to direct his way out of the forgettable.

With all the official word and choices made thus far for this film, they couldn't do any worse even if they had hired Michael Bay. :vomit:
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I have to say, my previous optimism in regards to this film has died. All I can do now is hope it doesn't have sandworms references.
waff

Post by waff »

Is it too late to get Peter Jackson to direct?

He couldn't do much worse.

Paul could ride on King Kong's back to attack the emperor!
orald

Post by orald »

I'd rather Paul rode Arwen to victory, leading the Green Cloud o' The Dead.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Illogical Banana

Post by Illogical Banana »

I just saw a scientology commercial. They really are becoming a real religion. :shock:
“But what is the good of friendship if one cannot say exactly what one means? Anybody can say charming things and try to please and to flatter, but a true friend always says unpleasant things, and does not mind giving pain. Indeed, if he is a really true friend he prefers it, for he knows that then he is doing good.” -Oscar Wilde
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, just like Mormonism is a real religion and a form of Christianity. :roll:

Give 'em a hundred years or so and they'll be legit.

Anyone know who really profits from all the cons and scams and swindling of money from "believers"? Who's at the head of their "Church"?
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

the head of the Cult of Scientology is a poison dwarf by the name of David Miscarriage... i mean David Miscabbage... nope, David Miscaviage. he's the guy at the top raking it all in, after a nice bit of manipulation in the 80's to get the top job, sidesweeping Hubbards family.
I am a mortal god.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

OK, yeah, have seen that name before.

Ever wonder if KJA is secretly pissed off that the whole "make a bundle from a fake church" idea is probably one he won't be able to swipe and make use of himself? ;)

(Then again, from some of the comments of his fanboys.... :shock: )
malika

Post by malika »

Secher_Nbiw wrote:the head of the Cult of Scientology is a poison dwarf by the name of David Miscarriage... i mean David Miscabbage... nope, David Miscaviage. he's the guy at the top raking it all in, after a nice bit of manipulation in the 80's to get the top job, sidesweeping Hubbards family.
One scam artist replacing the other one...