I won!

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

A Thing of Eternity

I won!

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Just got myself a nice shiny un-opened vinyl copy of "Truths of Dune: Fear is the Mind Killer" circa 1979. Yeah, I'm pretty happy with that. :D
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Congrats...I think. :D
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

That one's the '94 tape, I gots myself the record. 25 bucks well spent, can't wait to slooshy it.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I was just posting that for reference, 'Chigger seemed confused.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:I was just posting that for reference, 'Chigger seemed confused.
Good call... I'm not yet awake. It's only second coffee o'clock where I live right now.
A Thing of Eternity

bryanvdk wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I was just posting that for reference, 'Chigger seemed confused.
Good call... I'm not yet awake. It's only second coffee o'clock where I live right now.
speaking of coffee, i just made that spice coffee recipe found somewhere else in the threads but had I written this there it would be like a 4 month bump. it's pretty fucking good
The one with the Chai and fresh ground cinnamon? That was me! It is really good, but I often get carried away with the cinnamon (there's already cinnamon in the chai, so it's easy to over do) and then it just tastes like a shitty starbucks cinnamon latte. I feel extra Dune-nerdy everytime I make it. :D
A Thing of Eternity

bryanvdk wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote: The one with the Chai and fresh ground cinnamon? That was me! It is really good, but I often get carried away with the cinnamon (there's already cinnamon in the chai, so it's easy to over do) and then it just tastes like a shitty starbucks cinnamon latte. I feel extra Dune-nerdy everytime I make it. :D
yeah, mine is good but i definitely need to work on the cinnamon:coffee ratio... and i'm really missing out on the hallucinogenic effects...
You need better Melange substitute - coke would probably do the trick if you're looking for heightened consciousness :wink: or maybe grind in some mushrooms if it's oracular visions your after :wink:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

bryanvdk wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:You need better Melange substitute - coke would probably do the trick if you're looking for heightened consciousness :wink: or maybe grind in some mushrooms if it's oracular visions your after :wink:

i'm actually thinking salvia divinorum... legal in canada, all-natural and potent. it'd mix well with the other ingredients too.

damn what a market opportunity!
Be a man, put some psylocybin in there!
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

bryanvdk wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:You need better Melange substitute - coke would probably do the trick if you're looking for heightened consciousness :wink: or maybe grind in some mushrooms if it's oracular visions your after :wink:

i'm actually thinking salvia divinorum... legal in canada, all-natural and potent. it'd mix well with the other ingredients too.

damn what a market opportunity!
Never done the stuff, but I've watched my friends on it quite a few times. Pretty fucking hilarious - so high they can't even communicate or remain sitting upright for about a minute... then they're sober. Weird drug.
HoosierDaddy

Re: I won!

Post by HoosierDaddy »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Just got myself a nice shiny un-opened vinyl copy of "Truths of Dune: Fear is the Mind Killer" circa 1979. Yeah, I'm pretty happy with that. :D
So what is this? And could this be converted to .mp3?

:wink:
A Thing of Eternity

HoosierDaddy wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Just got myself a nice shiny un-opened vinyl copy of "Truths of Dune: Fear is the Mind Killer" circa 1979. Yeah, I'm pretty happy with that. :D

http://www.arrakis.co.uk/collectors.html
Just scroll down past the movie stuff.

It's Frank Herbert reading passages from the first three books and talking about them.

I’m planning on recording it into my comp, re-mastering it and putting it on CD for listening in the car and other places a turntable isn’t a great idea. If I’m not careful I might accidently put copies of that CD into envelopes which could end up in the mail somehow…
I’m a sound quality guy, so if I made it into an MP3 the file’d be so big it’d take a week to download.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

HoosierDaddy wrote:

It's Frank Herbert reading passages from the first three books and talking about them.

I’m planning on recording it into my comp, re-mastering it and putting it on CD for listening in the car and other places a turntable isn’t a great idea. If I’m not careful I might accidently put copies of that CD into envelopes which could end up in the mail somehow…
I’m a sound quality guy, so if I made it into an MP3 the file’d be so big it’d take a week to download.
How many stamps to you have? :wink:
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
A Thing of Eternity

Serkanner wrote:
HoosierDaddy wrote:

How many stamps to you have? :wink:
Oh, I have enough :wink: We might run out of winking emoticons though :wink:
A Thing of Eternity

Oops double post.

Anyone who's interested just PM me. I'll keep a list for now, don't know when it'll arrive. Anyone halfway around the world might owe me a beer.Or Six :wink:
A Thing of Eternity

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0265000994

This also looks cool, thought I'd post it here since someone might be interested and I haven't decided if I want it yet. I haven't even seen this item on any of the sites that list Dune collectables.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Strange cover.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Finally got it and repaired my girlfriend's record player. It was a bit weird opening something that had remained sealed for longer that I've lived. Oh well, it was made for listening, not for sitting. FH sounds nothing like what I thought he would, but it's pretty cool so far (listening to it right now). I should get it recorded into my laptop soon (with a procrastinator like me that could mean weeks) for remastering. Last call for anyone who wants a CD, PM me.
orald

Post by orald »

IIRC he has quiet a high, soft voice. :P
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

A Thing of Eternity wrote: FH sounds nothing like what I thought he would, but it's pretty cool so far (listening to it right now).
Did you not DL the Waldentapes interview? You can get links to it here. I like his voice, to me it sounds calm and thoughtful.
HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

Wouldn't it be easier to host it somewhere for download?
A Thing of Eternity

HoosierDaddy wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to host it somewhere for download?
I may end up doing that if I get lazy, but I'm kind of an audio nut and have a hate for MP3's. If I do go that route it'll be a big ass file so that th quality doesn't suffer. We'll see.
A Thing of Eternity

Indeed
A Thing of Eternity

Decided to go the mp3 route. Since it was a record to begin with it has a bit of that vinyl hiss and pop in the background so it's not exactly a pristine recording in the first place, not point in worry about a bit of weird mp3 noise.

I made 2 big tracks, one for each side of the record, about 22 minutes each. Now I have to figure out where I can find a program to convert wave files to mp3 (with all my fancy stuff it turns out I don't have an mp3 converter... odd) and find somewhere to host them. It's just easier than mailing CDs all over the planet (though if for some reason anyone who is on the waiting list still wants one I can burn one at some later point).

What's a good size for an mp3 file to download in a reasonable amount of time? I seriously have no idea what the usual is. A couple megs? Where can I host these files?
orald

Post by orald »

I guess Audacity could be used to convert wav to mp3. Can't remember the site they linked here where I put my voice sample on.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.