I finally found it: the "cool kids" forum

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

TheDukester

I finally found it: the "cool kids" forum

Post by TheDukester »

Damnit, that took long enough. Maybe I was just distracted by never being approved to participate over at DuneNovels (hey, Byron, if you hang out here: seriously, man, I tried two different computers. It's like you somehow know I loathe the non-canon stuff.)

Anyway, let's see ... I'll keep this brief (stop applauding, you!). I'm a massive Dune fan (the original novel, that is) who knows progressively less about each book in the series. It's pretty much safe to say that I'll never argue a point that's not made in the first three books; I'm borderline clueless after that. I'm currently listening to the recent audiobook versions of the first two books, and finding them to be quite good. I also play the Dune boardgame (Avalon Hill, not that roll-your-dice-and-move-your-mice thing from Parker Bros.) quite a bit, and find that it really makes the events of the original novel come alive in an interesting way.

What else? Well, I liked the miniseries better than the movie ... I'm not sure if that's considered heretical or not here, but it's true. I even thought the costumes were cool ... and, yes, before you ask: I do like girls. I even married one. Feyd's costume was a little much, though; that damn triangle was just annoying.

Oh, and if you like the Cosmic Enconter or Dune boardgames, then I write a blog that might interest you: http://ce.typepad.com/cosmic/

That's about it, Dune-wise. I'm still working on proving my thesis than Sandworms of Dune actually causes cancer of the eyes, but I'm not quite there. I'll start a new thread if I have a breakthrough.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Welcome. I've been looking for one of those Avalon Hill set's, but I keep putting it off because I have no one that would play it with me... and I'd look pretty silly playing it against myself.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Hellooooooooooooo!

Freak really liked the hats in the miniseries, so you guys should start a new thread about that. :lol:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
HoosierDaddy

Re: I finally found it: the "cool kids" forum

Post by HoosierDaddy »

TheDukester wrote:Maybe I was just distracted by never being approved to participate over at DuneNovels (hey, Byron, if you hang out here: seriously, man, I tried two different computers. It's like you somehow know I loathe the non-canon stuff.)
Byron is, if anything, well read on the internets. He keeps track of names on all the Dune sites, including Amazon.com reviews. Filthy job if you ask me, but he's just the guy for it.

:P
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

hihi TheDukester hihi :)
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

HoosierDaddy wrote:He keeps track of names on all the Dune sites, including Amazon.com reviews
Ah ... that might actually explain it then. I didn't have a lot of kind words for Sandworms over at Amazon, and then I got progressively angrier when my 1-star reviews were deleted (presumably following the whining from the HLP and/or Tor).

That's just sad, though. I'm not a big believer in penalizing potential users for alleged "infractions" at entirely different sites. And I've actually seen a couple of threads over there (DuneNovels) that I think I could add something to. Ugh. Maybe it's just not worth worrying about.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

TheDukester wrote:That's just sad, though. I'm not a big believer in penalizing potential users for alleged "infractions" at entirely different sites. And I've actually seen a couple of threads over there (DuneNovels) that I think I could add something to. Ugh. Maybe it's just not worth worrying about.
It's not worth worrying about; your posts would just get deleted over there anyway.

And welcome! You'll fit in here nicely with that statement about Sandworms.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I've been looking for one of those Avalon Hill set's, but I keep putting it off ...
Yeah, they can be a bit of a beast to find (especially in good shape), but they appear fairly regularly on eBay. There's three sets up right now as I'm typing this; here's a search string that might be of some use to you in the future:

http://search.ebay.com/dune-avalon_W0QQ ... R8QQfsopZ1

That searches just the "games" category for the words "Dune" AND "Avalon." That will help you avoid the Parker Bros. thing.

The game is also being re-released next year by Fantasy Flight Games ... sort of. It's actually a source of controversy in the gaming world, since FFG will use the Dune game mechanics in their own Twilight: Imperium setting. The game will no longer take place on Arrakis, in other words.

And take a guess as to why FFG couldn't get the green light to just update, modernize, and re-release the game ... take a wild guess. I'll bet you all will get it.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

TheDukester wrote: And take a guess as to why FFG couldn't get the green light to just update, modernize, and re-release the game ... take a wild guess. I'll bet you all will get it.
The comb-over would be denied his cut of the profits, so he told Brian to tell them no :P

Welcome to Jacurutu!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

If this is the cool crowd, I haven't a clue what I would be doing here :)

I'm in the same boat as you. I've read the first Frank Herbert book and the second book I've read twice now and I'm currently on my second read through the third. Never touched the other ones as yet, but I'm slowly getting there. he prequels are shit and I'm not wasting my precious reading time on them.

Welcome to the boards!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Mandy wrote:The comb-over would be denied his cut of the profits, so he told Brian to tell them no :P
FTW!

Word is the HLP had zero interest in making this happen, despite Fantasy Flight being arguably the best U.S.-based game manufacturer operating today.

Awesome avatar, BTW. I mean, I'm happily married and all that ... to, uh, whatever her name was ... but I'm not quite dead yet. That is just smokin' hot (said the pig).
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Hey Dukester. I just noticed your location. Im just over the hill from you in Sacratomato. So is my brother Ragabash who occasionally shows up in these here parts.

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Sacto.! Nice ... except for the 200 degrees part, right? :)

I was just in Roseville not long ago, actually, and ... hey, why is everyone nodding off?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

TheDukester wrote:Sacto.! Nice ... except for the 200 degrees part, right? :)

I was just in Roseville not long ago, actually, and ... hey, why is everyone nodding off?
Apparently that is a thing of the past. Were gonna hit 103 today, but that is like the first time this year, and its going into the 80's this weekend.

BTW, I love Reno 911 (especially the one with the scavenger hunt), so.....you got that goin' for ya!

Goodnight Golden Path!
trang

Post by trang »

Welcome Dukester!! I have permenant retna damage from reading hunters and sandworms, as well as, healing brain hemmoraging, no cancer as of yet, but can put my account on your thesis:)

I hope you get opportunity to take a ride on the GodEmperor train! you wont regret it!

The opening sequence is quite exciting... leading to the God Emperor himself. You get to read over his thoughts and actions as the story movies forward. Up till the middle the book is a cerebral ride (try stuffing an elephant into your skull with a six pack of lub and a shoehorn!) but then FH slowly guides you to the test site for the Dune 400 gee rocket sled. He invites you on, straps you in, and BLASTS YOU THRU to the end!! WHAT A RUSH!!

heretics and Chapterhouse are Wonderous also, treat yourself you wont be sorry.

Again Welcome, Im here, post sparingly, but here.

FairDay,
Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

TheDukester wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:I've been looking for one of those Avalon Hill set's, but I keep putting it off ...
Yeah, they can be a bit of a beast to find (especially in good shape), but they appear fairly regularly on eBay. There's three sets up right now as I'm typing this; here's a search string that might be of some use to you in the future:

http://search.ebay.com/dune-avalon_W0QQ ... R8QQfsopZ1

That searches just the "games" category for the words "Dune" AND "Avalon." That will help you avoid the Parker Bros. thing.
I've seen quite a few of them whilst I lurk on ebay for certain Dune related items... Like I said though, I can't bring myself to buy a board game that no one will play with me. Maybe someday :cry:
Phaedrus wrote:
TheDukester wrote:That's just sad, though. I'm not a big believer in penalizing potential users for alleged "infractions" at entirely different sites. And I've actually seen a couple of threads over there (DuneNovels) that I think I could add something to. Ugh. Maybe it's just not worth worrying about.
It's not worth worrying about; your posts would just get deleted over there anyway.
I'm learning that.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

GamePlayer wrote:If this is the cool crowd, I haven't a clue what I would be doing here :)
Definitely. :roll:

HEY, DUKESTER! Welcome aboard!
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Illogical Banana

Post by Illogical Banana »

Hello, and Welcome!
“But what is the good of friendship if one cannot say exactly what one means? Anybody can say charming things and try to please and to flatter, but a true friend always says unpleasant things, and does not mind giving pain. Indeed, if he is a really true friend he prefers it, for he knows that then he is doing good.” -Oscar Wilde
orald

Post by orald »

Hi! :)

I'm the nicest guy around these parts, ask everyone and they'll tell ya. :)
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Welcome :D

Rob
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Hi.
KJA

Post by KJA »

Mandy wrote:
TheDukester wrote: And take a guess as to why FFG couldn't get the green light to just update, modernize, and re-release the game ... take a wild guess. I'll bet you all will get it.
The comb-over would be denied his cut of the profits, so he told Brian to tell them no :P
Yeah, the little bitch got lost on the way and steered off the road into the trees on his segway.

I swear I gotta do everything myself.

Welcome, blah, blah, blah...
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
BH

Post by BH »

I'will roll that Sugway right up you're ass!
The Mutati are NOT facedancers! They are TOTALLY different! Can'you'not see that?
orald

Post by orald »

BH wrote:I'will roll that Sugway right up you're ass!
It's not a threat if you tell people what they already like. :?
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.