Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Don't worry, it's not too hard to figure out. Try to ignore the rude welcome, we're really not that bad.
dm1215

Post by dm1215 »

I have to sign off for a while and visit with my family. Thank you to those who have given me a warm welcome.
Long live the frightners!
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Yeah, welcome, and please just ignore orald, that's what the rest of us do.

But, as I'm sure you've probably figured out, you're in a minority on this board. That doesn't mean you're any less welcome. Just be prepared to defend your views(a good idea for anyone), and try not to talk too much about Norma or the Golden Path failing. Members around here tend to get pissy when people do that.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy the board.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
orald

Post by orald »

Mandy wrote:Try to ignore the rude welcome, we're really not that bad.
Shall I link him to certain pre's threads? :wink:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

LiquidBlue wrote:Hi dm1215
Welcome to the forum...and good luck :wink:
We're not really that bad. It's too bad you newbies didn't know sunnypuck over on DN. I treat Orald's posts a lot like I did that guy's. There are a lot of new members here over the last week, I think people are still showing off a little. Things should calm down.

dm1215, have you read much of our criticisms of kja & BH's writing? Perhaps we could direct you to some commentary that might convince you of just how terrible even the House books are.

Also, hello.
orald

Post by orald »

Yea...direct him to Chig's blog, the perfect place for polite talk. Hypocretes.

Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

orald wrote:Yea...direct him to Chig's blog, the perfect place for polite talk. Hypocretes.
Will you pull your head out of your fucking ass Orald? The asshole bit is beyond old.

Rob
orald

Post by orald »

What's old? The fact that every time you guys say "ignore Orald, we do", "we appologize for Orald" etc while I'm not sure WTF I've written here so far to earn that? Yea, getting old.

The new dummy's already on the it too, asking why I'm so evil in that feminism discussion. :roll:

Yo, folks them read P&B trash and have difficulty reading Dune etc are DUMB. Enjoy yer stay. :D

Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Try showing some bloody respect and maybe people won't ignore you.

Rob
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I don't care whether anybody likes the atrocities or not. I have my suspicions though when, on the same day as when the almighty moderator on DN brings on the topic of fans discovering Dune via the atrocities, also here one person, completely new to Dune, pops up and explicitly mentions to have found Dune via McDune.

Most of the times its just a copy-account with an agenda.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Hello and welcome.

I started off quite liking the new books, but by the time I got to the last of the legends books, which I bought off ebay for a killing, I just thought they were utter shit.

I know what you mean about God Emperor, the first time I read it I thought it was too wordy and the love affair with Hwi was annoying, but I finished reading it for the second time a few weeks ago and I think it's now my favourite of the books. It's a real grower.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Robspierre wrote:Try showing some bloody respect and maybe people won't ignore you.

Rob
Yeah, and some of us will get off your back. orald.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

LEAVE ORALD ALONE YOU BASTARDS!

Ooh, that felt good. Can I be a moderator please?
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
LiquidBlue

Post by LiquidBlue »

Nekhrun wrote:
LiquidBlue wrote:Hi dm1215
Welcome to the forum...and good luck :wink:
We're not really that bad. It's too bad you newbies didn't know sunnypuck over on DN. I treat Orald's posts a lot like I did that guy's. There are a lot of new members here over the last week, I think people are still showing off a little. Things should calm down.
I didn't mean anything negative by the good luck :) Just good luck defending your point of view. I really enjoy how well, for the most part, peole are able to support their arguments. Every point of view worth having should be one you can defend...

Also, about readers that enjoy the new Dune books, but can't get into Frank's...I think that has more to do with level at which your average reader is prepared to think. Frank's books are more conceptual and require higher order thinking, where as KJA&BH are simply surface level texts...people no longer want to think...all the recapping, to me, has a very "TV" feel to it too...(BTW, I have the same critcism of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series...more repetition than I can stand...)
Some never participate. Life happens to them. They get by on little more than dumb persistence and resist with anger or violence all things that might lift them out of resentment-filled illusions of security.
-Alma Mavis Taraza

"Glory or insanity awaits" -- Rimmer
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

chanilover wrote:LEAVE ORALD ALONE YOU BASTARDS!
No. dm1215 hasn't done anything to merit orald or Serk's reactions to him. If we tell everyone who likes something written by Brian and Kevin that they're shitty human beings and don't deserve to live, or are stupid and can't think, then Hypatia, Byron, and KJA are all right about us.

If that's who we are, I don't want any part of it.

Orald is being a fucking prick, and he needs to stop being one, ESPECIALLY towards new members. I'm not a moderator or admin either, so I'm probably overstepping the line(something Hyp called me out for), but I tihnk we should at least give dm1215 a chance before we start with the lambasting. If he turns out to be another TAZ, I don't care what happens, but from what I can tell, he's an intelligent poster who's willing to look into things rationally. So why don't we present our arguments, let him comb through, and see what he thinks/says, instead of telling him he'll burn in hell for liking some goddamn books.

Fuck, guys.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

orald wrote:
Mandy wrote:Try to ignore the rude welcome, we're really not that bad.
Shall I link him to certain pre's threads? :wink:
Sure :wink:
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

EVERYONE TAKE A CHILL-PILL AND RELAX.

I'm getting good at this. Who wants to nominate me for a moderator position?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Achlan wasachlan, dm1215!

Your comments resonate like distant drumsand. Where could we have met before.... ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
LiquidBlue

Post by LiquidBlue »

Well, I'm sure the mods can check IP addresses...I know I can on the forum I moderate...if its someone thats been here before, thats one way to sort things out...
Some never participate. Life happens to them. They get by on little more than dumb persistence and resist with anger or violence all things that might lift them out of resentment-filled illusions of security.
-Alma Mavis Taraza

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

They can. But I'm not positive this person has been HERE before.

Has someone posted a link to Dune Novels, to aid those who have possibly lost their way and ended up here? :wink:
LiquidBlue

Post by LiquidBlue »

They can. But I'm not positive this person has been HERE before.
Well then, that does present a problem :wink:

I found my way here from that site...thank goodness...
-Alma Mavis Taraza

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Did you register there? I haven't checked for your user name. :)

(It just seems to me that people into the new books are also into belonging to the "Official Forum". I'm curious as to why someone would join here before there. Besides the fact that it sucks over there and the general ambience tastes of dirt...and ass. :D )
LiquidBlue

Post by LiquidBlue »

I didn't join there...I found it by accident looking for a reason as to why Siona was in Sheanna's OM, read through some stuff and was generally impressed with some of the views and the fact that people actually QUOTED from the text! How impressive :-) Then I tried to find it in my history a few days later and was like "no, dunenovels is the book website..." Well, that was clue number one that it might not be the most "open" forum on the web...I saw Freaks link to this forum and saw all the screen names that came off as intelligent from dunenovels and decided to join...

The only KJA&BH books I've read were HoD and Sandworms...
-Alma Mavis Taraza

Lisan Al-Gaib

Re: Newbie

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

dm1215 wrote:Hi. I'm new to Dune as a whole and got into the series thanks to the new Dune novels by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. I'm currently finishing up the original series by Frank Herbert. I'm about 7/8 done with Chapterhouse. Good times!
Hello, welcome aboard!
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

orald

Post by orald »

LiquidBlue wrote:The only KJA&BH books I've read were HoD and Sandworms...
Just so you know, "HoD" is kinda reserved for Heretics of Dune, so as to not get confused.
Here we call the other one Grunters of Dune(?).
CL wrote:I know what you mean about God Emperor, the first time I read it I thought it was too wordy and the love affair with Hwi was annoying, but I finished reading it for the second time a few weeks ago and I think it's now my favourite of the books. It's a real grower.
And yet Hwi is still annoying. :P