Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

dm1215

Post by dm1215 »

Hi. I'm new to Dune as a whole and got into the series thanks to the new Dune novels by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. I'm currently finishing up the original series by Frank Herbert. I'm about 7/8 done with Chapterhouse. Good times!
Long live the frightners!
orald

Re: Newbie

Post by orald »

dm1215 wrote:got into the series thanks to the new Dune novels by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson.
:puke:

No, no, let me rephrase that:
:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Ah, OK, feeling better now. :)

Welcome, dm1215! Lovely name...but I fear you've been traumatized for life by the putrid shit that is Brian and Kevin's scat-child.

We'll try to fix you here. :wink:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
dm1215

Post by dm1215 »

Oh. Sorry. I didn't feel Brian Herbert's and Kevin Anderson's stories were that bad, personally. Good action. Good adventure. I admit they don't come close to how Frank wrote, but I think they were ok on their own.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Hiya dm1215 :)
dm1215

Post by dm1215 »

inhuien wrote:Hiya dm1215 :)
Ah. And thanks for the actual welcome!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

It was my pleasure.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Hi and welcome.

You will notice that there are many here on this forum who are not sharing your enthusiasm for the new dune ( or McDune ).

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion but I would really like to read why you qualify the adventures and action scenes in McDune as "good". Any other positive remarks of McDune are of course also more then welcome.

Who knows you might convince some of us.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
LiquidBlue

Post by LiquidBlue »

Hi dm1215

Welcome to the forum...and good luck :wink:
Some never participate. Life happens to them. They get by on little more than dumb persistence and resist with anger or violence all things that might lift them out of resentment-filled illusions of security.
-Alma Mavis Taraza

"Glory or insanity awaits" -- Rimmer
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Helloooooooooo

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
dm1215

Post by dm1215 »

Serkanner wrote:Hi and welcome.

You will notice that there are many here on this forum who are not sharing your enthusiasm for the new dune ( or McDune ).

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion but I would really like to read why you qualify the adventures and action scenes in McDune as "good". Any other positive remarks of McDune are of course also more then welcome.

Guess I enjoyed the simplicity of the novels in comparison to Frank Herbert's (sometimes) over philosophical prose. Not that I'm condemning Frank's writing in any way. I thought God Emperor of Dune was a bit much, though. I had a tough time wading through some of the extended passages that focused only on Leto's ramblings from his platform. I did like it when he snuffed out Duncans, though (the poor guy).

Brian Herbert's work, though, tends to lend itself to a much broader audience. I've spoken with a lot of readers who haven't been able to get past Dune and into Dune Messiah and beyond. I think that speaks a lot. While Brian's work has hit the bestseller list almost every time.
orald

Post by orald »

dm1215 wrote:I had a tough time wading through some of the extended passages that focused only on Leto's ramblings from his platform.
Insolence!

Herecy!

Blasphemous slander!

:x :evil: :x :evil: :x

His holy teachings shall light the path and the blood of the unbelievers shall pave it for the just to follow and bask in the warmth and justice of God Leto!

Brian Herbert's work, though, tends to lend itself to a much broader audience. I've spoken with a lot of readers who haven't been able to get past Dune and into Dune Messiah and beyond. I think that speaks a lot. While Brian's work has hit the bestseller list almost every time.
Aww, aww, aww, I'm so giddy it hurts! :mrgreen:

I can't wait for Chig and the rest to get back! :lol:

dm1215

Post by dm1215 »

orald wrote:
dm1215 wrote:I had a tough time wading through some of the extended passages that focused only on Leto's ramblings from his platform.
Insolence!

Herecy!

Blasphemous slander!

:x :evil: :x :evil: :x

His holy teachings shall light the path and the blood of the unbelievers shall pave it for the just to follow and bask in the warmth and justice of God Leto!

Aww, aww, aww, I'm so giddy it hurts! :mrgreen:

I can't wait for Chig and the rest to get back! :lol:
I take it you are the welcome wagon today.
orald

Post by orald »

Naw...it ain't nothin' to the welcomin' you'll be gettin'. :wink:

Man, I haven't had so much free reign in ages! No Chig or Omph in sight and I can make all the noise by myself.

Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

dm1215 wrote:

Guess I enjoyed the simplicity of the novels in comparison to Frank Herbert's (sometimes) over philosophical prose. Not that I'm condemning Frank's writing in any way. I thought God Emperor of Dune was a bit much, though. I had a tough time wading through some of the extended passages that focused only on Leto's ramblings from his platform. I did like it when he snuffed out Duncans, though (the poor guy).

Brian Herbert's work, though, tends to lend itself to a much broader audience. I've spoken with a lot of readers who haven't been able to get past Dune and into Dune Messiah and beyond. I think that speaks a lot.While Brian's work has hit the bestseller list almost every time.
I think it indeed says a lot about the reader when he or she hasn't been able to read past Dune. Those readers don't want to read literature but pulp fiction.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
orald

Post by orald »

Serk in his sig wrote:"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Aw man, I tried to find this phrasing several times! I love it, and it's so useful in so many cases. :D

dm1215

Post by dm1215 »

Serkanner wrote:
dm1215 wrote:

Brian Herbert's work, though, tends to lend itself to a much broader audience. I've spoken with a lot of readers who haven't been able to get past Dune and into Dune Messiah and beyond. I think that speaks a lot.While Brian's work has hit the bestseller list almost every time.
I think it indeed says a lot about the reader when he or she hasn't been able to read past Dune. Those readers don't want to read literature but pulp fiction.
I don't think that's the case. I think everyone enjoys reading for different reasons. I'm enjoying Frank's Dune books more than Brian and Kevin's, but I still appreciate the latters work, dedication, and the amount of information they've given me. It is they that led me to the Dune books and introduced me to this great universe. I love it!
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I also know people who enjoy it when others pee or shite on them, that still doesn't make them sane does it?

Are you sure you are not somebody else hiding behind a new ID coming here with an agenda?

and wrote a Dune Novel."
dm1215

Post by dm1215 »

Serkanner wrote:I also know people who enjoy it when others pee or shite on them, that still doesn't make them sane does it?

Are you sure you are not somebody else hiding behind a new ID coming here with an agenda?
I'm new to Dune and message boards so I don't claim to have any kind of agenda. What kind of agenda could I have? You don't make any sense to me when you say such things. I love Dune. I thought that's why people would come to some place like this. Am I wrong?
orald

Post by orald »

Serkanner wrote:I also know people who enjoy it when others pee or shite on them, that still doesn't make them sane does it?
:oops:

DM, to make it short, there's been alot of dirty inter-board politics involved.

Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Welcome, just so you know, this place is dominated by those of us wh oare sickened and saddened by some of what KJA and Brian have written due ot contradictions with what Frank himself wrote. If you go through the various threads you'll see some good discussions with lots of documentation as to why many of us feel the newer works suck. If you enjoy them you do and you have not claimed that the new wrok is ewual to Frank's like so many of those eho have do on a constant basis.

As for the agenda comment, well you stated you were new ot message boards and to those of us who inhabit the interwebs that's not a good sign based on past experiences. Buu until otherwise, welcome, and give the place a look over and hope to here more of your thoughts.

Rob
orald

Post by orald »

Wow, Rob, slow down, man! Have you been at the bottle again? :o

HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

dm1215 wrote: Guess I enjoyed the simplicity of the novels in comparison to Frank Herbert's (sometimes) over philosophical prose. Not that I'm condemning Frank's writing in any way. I thought God Emperor of Dune was a bit much, though. I had a tough time wading through some of the extended passages that focused only on Leto's ramblings from his platform. I did like it when he snuffed out Duncans, though (the poor guy).

Welcome, and try to ignore the vitriol when you compliment pinky and the brain here. Your comments concerning GEOD aren't surprising for a young reader. Leto II is IMO one of the most compelling characters in all of sci-fi, but the book is not a lazy read.

Stick around, and check out the book sections for discussion threads. Most of us here have re-read FH's books several times, and I'm due for another.

:P
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Hello. Don't get scared off by how much we all hate KJABH. And we do hate KJABH :evil:
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Hi dm1215, welcome to Jacurutu.
dm1215

Post by dm1215 »

Thank you. I'm still getting used to this place, so please have some patience. I'm looking around and learning.