Hello!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

LiquidBlue

Hello!

Post by LiquidBlue »

Hello all…

I just wanted to take a second to introduce myself and say that I’m happy to have found this forum. I’m a huge fan of the Frank Herbert Dune Series. I took a class in college called Science Fiction and Evolutionary Biology and at the same time saw the Dune mini-series for the first time. That spawned a paper about self-reflective consciousness and the “god meme”. Then, during the next lull from assigned books, I read the original FH series. I’ve since read the books 2 or 3 times in the intervening few years. I also made an attempt to teach Dune in my 11th and 12th grade Intensive Reading class, but it proved too high level for my students (most of them only read at a middle school reading level). I’m teaching world lit next school year and, assuming I get to teach the class again, will try and work in Dune. The themes of cultural conflict and religion would work well, I think.

Anywho! I found this forum through a link from the dunenovel site…I read a 9 page thread about Norma, clicked the Jacurutu link, saw all the posters that I agreed with on this site, and decided to join. (BTW, Chanilover, you’re last post was the piece de resistance, a most appropriate way to end things… “Quentin? God, these books just get gayer all the time.” I literally laughed out loud.) I just finished rereading Heritics and Chapterhouse. I’m trying to re-read Hunters ATM, but its hard…LoL…Hunters and Sandworms are the only BH and KJA books I’ve read…I admit that I’m kind of fascinated with the upcoming Heroes series in a train wreck sort of way. I’m sure I’ll be able to get it used fairly quickly. Reading through things here is a little confusing, its like coming in during the middle of the conversation...so if I ask dumb questions or make irrelevant comments, just let me know!

Thanks!
Some never participate. Life happens to them. They get by on little more than dumb persistence and resist with anger or violence all things that might lift them out of resentment-filled illusions of security.
-Alma Mavis Taraza

"Glory or insanity awaits" -- Rimmer
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Welcome!

Most of us have known each other a long time so don't hesitate to ask us WTF!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Phaedrus

Re: Hello!

Post by Phaedrus »

LiquidBlue wrote: I took a class in college called Science Fiction and Evolutionary Biology and at the same time saw the Dune mini-series for the first time. That spawned a paper about self-reflective consciousness and the “god meme”.

...if I ask dumb questions...
I wouldn't worry too much about asking dumb questions.
so if I ask dumb questions or make irrelevant comments, just let me know!
Don't worry, you could never make comments more irrelevant than 90% of what a certain user calling himself orald posts...
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
Phaedrus

Re: Hello!

Post by Phaedrus »

bryanvdk wrote:
Phaedrus wrote:
Don't worry, you could never make comments more irrelevant than 90% of what a certain user calling himself orald posts...

oh snap. (it's funny cuz it's true :P)
I know, right?
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Welcome! The teaching contingent keeps growing! (I'm two years away from getting my Secondary Ed: Language Arts degree and Nekhrun is a teacher as well)

Rob
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Again, welcome. We also have a bunch of teachers around here, and at least one of them has successfully worked Dune into his curriculum, IIRC.

I have actually been collecting SF teching materials over the years, as I want to teach a SF class at a local college here someday. Maybe I should post what I have somewhere so everyone can add to it.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:Again, welcome. We also have a bunch of teachers around here, and at least one of them has successfully worked Dune into his curriculum, IIRC.

I have actually been collecting SF teching materials over the years, as I want to teach a SF class at a local college here someday. Maybe I should post what I have somewhere so everyone can add to it.
Yes please Omph! Nekhrun sent me a file of what he has done with Dune and its pretty damn good, lots of possibilities with Dune depending on your states Standards and Benchmarks.

Rob
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Most of what I have has not got a Dune focus, but rather a general SF focus. Ill put something together like I did with the Dune secondary sources this weekend and post it here or at T(A)U.

Id like to see Nekhrun's stuff too.

Goodnight Golden Path!
LiquidBlue

Post by LiquidBlue »

Thanks for all the replies everyone :lol:

Omphalos, putting something together would be awesome. I have some Dune powerpoints (I know, the teacher's crutch, but in my defense I had to travel through other teacher's class rooms, didn't have one of my own, and never knew if I could write on their boards) and worksheets. We watched the begining of the mini-series and picked up in the middle of the book. Watching the mini-series was an attempt to build prior knowledge and give them visual references, since apparently struggling readers have a problem visualizing. I think this book would be great in World Lit. ATM, I'm planning on teaching Kite Runner, but there is still time to change.

What were you thinking of teaching in your college course? I *loved* the sci-fi class I took...AMAZING...one day when I catch up on teaching and my 2 year old gives me a moments rest I'm going to try and publish a paper I wrote about Octavia Butler's Lilith's Brood and the hierarchical nature of the english language...a girl can dream!
Some never participate. Life happens to them. They get by on little more than dumb persistence and resist with anger or violence all things that might lift them out of resentment-filled illusions of security.
-Alma Mavis Taraza

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Robspierre wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Again, welcome. We also have a bunch of teachers around here, and at least one of them has successfully worked Dune into his curriculum, IIRC.

Yes please Omph! Nekhrun sent me a file of what he has done with Dune and its pretty damn good, lots of possibilities with Dune depending on your states Standards and Benchmarks.

Rob
It's even better now. I'm loading it up to Moodle for an online class I might teach next year sometime.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:Id like to see Nekhrun's stuff too.
Sure, let me finish organizing and loading everything onto my class page, then I'll just copy everything and send it over. Should be done by next week sometime. I'm still not training for that half-marathon next Saturday :wink:

Also, I've got a fun story about the Dune mini-series.

I am, in general, opposed to the use of films in Language Arts classes, especially when the class is reading the text anyway. I think it's lazy and a waste of time and the students will probably watch it on their own anyway. I could go on and on.

I was going to play a quick scene for my students to show them how the mini-series handled the sandworms and also I was going to be gone that day. The secretary came in to monitor my class and they convinced her to just let the movie play through the rest of the class. They all got a great glimpse of some Chani boob and the secretary never deviated from my plans again. :D

Edit: Though I said it on another page, Hi LiquidBlue.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Hi LiquidBlue, very nice to meet you. Good luck working Dune into your curriculum! It would be great to have another generation of OH.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I've taught Dune 4 times now and I still get students coming back to me after they've graduated wanting to talk about it and how much New Dune sucks.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Welcome.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Nekhrun wrote:I've taught Dune 4 times now and I still get students coming back to me after they've graduated wanting to talk about it and how much New Dune sucks.
That's awesome! It's like turning the light on in a dark room. So many people are satisfied with garbage nowadays, they don't even know what a good book is.
LiquidBlue

Post by LiquidBlue »

Don't know if you have the pleasure of teaching scholastic cirriculum :roll: , Nekhrun, but I taught READ 180 last year, where, before every "reading" workshop, we watched a video to preview the reading...we were actually supposed to watch the video daily, but I only showed it once a workshop...Trying to slip in Dune was a total "no no" on my part, but I am SO SICK of them reading "high interest fiction" (translation: books about mostly african american male teenagers playing sports and resiting drugs) that I thought I'd give it a shot, using the tried and true (another :roll: ) READ 180 method...my principal came in to do an evaluation when I began teaching the novel and he liked the idea...which, I think, is why I get to teach Enlgish next year instead of reading...

What do you teach, by the way?

Some kids did like the book and went out a bought the mini-series to finish it...there were many comments on the Chani boob and Spice orgy. They also went out and watched the David Lynch version, much to my dismay...but, at least they are expanding their world view (or something)

LiquidBlue wrote:
I took a class in college called Science Fiction and Evolutionary Biology and at the same time saw the Dune mini-series for the first time. That spawned a paper about self-reflective consciousness and the “god meme”.

...if I ask dumb questions...

I wouldn't worry too much about asking dumb questions.

Quote:
so if I ask dumb questions or make irrelevant comments, just let me know!

LoL, I wondered why you quoted the same part twice, thanks for the compliment...I think I've gotten dumber in the past year

Robspierre: Good luck with your degree, you'll be much more prepared than I was when you start! My degree is in English, but I'm thinking about going back and getting a masters in Adult Education...This was my first year teaching, not sure if high school is the place for me...
-Alma Mavis Taraza

Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

LiquidBlue wrote:
Robspierre: Good luck with your degree, you'll be much more prepared than I was when you start! My degree is in English, but I'm thinking about going back and getting a masters in Adult Education...This was my first year teaching, not sure if high school is the place for me...
I've intentionally gone and done all my observation work in settings outside my comfort zone unlike most of my classmates. I've also had a couple of my mentor teachers turn over heir entire class to me to teach whatever I wanted.

Rob
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

What do the students think of your kilt?

Goodnight Golden Path!
LiquidBlue

Post by LiquidBlue »

I was in for a *complete* culture shock first day/week of school...I teach in a low income, "D" school...you've made wise choices.
-Alma Mavis Taraza

Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:What do the students think of your kilt?
Not allowed to wear it due to teacher dress codes. Plus as I am technically in a legal limbo at the moment as far as the law is concerned and I am a guest at the schools I observe, also the schools can at anytime refuse to let in observation students, they do it as a courtesy, so as not to ruin it for those who come after I am not rocking the boat but once I get into the systm, different story.

Rob
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Welcome Liquidblue!! I think you will find we have a great community here.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Robspierre wrote:
Not allowed to wear it due to teacher dress codes. Plus as I am technically in a legal limbo at the moment as far as the law is concerned and I am a guest at the schools I observe, also the schools can at anytime refuse to let in observation students, they do it as a courtesy, so as not to ruin it for those who come after I am not rocking the boat but once I get into the systm, different story.

Rob
That is kind of what I figured. Still, if anyone was going to figure out how to get around that, it would be you, no? :wink:

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:
Robspierre wrote:

Rob
That is kind of what I figured. Still, if anyone was going to figure out how to get around that, it would be you, no? :wink:
I already know how to do it and do so in a manner that is educational according to standards and benchmarks, now I just need to finish school and get hired :twisted:

Rob
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

LiquidBlue wrote:What do you teach, by the way?
I teach all of the Language Arts classes at a school for "naughty kids," 7th-12 grades. I'm the chair of the English Dept. so I can pretty much teach whatever I want as long as I align it to the state academic standards. I started an online program for the cooperative I work for this year and am just starting to offer some credit recovery classes.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome from this "should-be" history and or Dutch language teacher. I didn't finish my college and ended up doing quite something different. The teacher in me is still there though.

As said by everybody else ... keep asking .... keep doubting and keep harrassing the McDune.