For those of you using Macs...

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Phaedrus

For those of you using Macs...

Post by Phaedrus »

If you're not already using QuickSilver, I highly recommend that you start, soon. It's an amazing app that makes using a Mac even more fun and cool than it was before. I'm not sure I can explain it, but it's cool. Trust me. (I'm also trying out Nocturne, which is more for fun than for function, but it's cool, too.)

I guess, in general, this is a thread for Mac users to snub others, share Apple-related news and information, and generally rock out with our iClocks out.

So...any other cool applications or things for Macs that anyone knows about?
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hadn't heard of that (those), but I like the Taoist quote. ;)

Wei wu wei...doing without doing.

(And yet nothing is left undone! :) )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
orald

Post by orald »

Shun the Mac, my brothers and sisters, for it is the heart of evil come to prey upon the weak-minded! Come into the light of MS, come into the light and be saved!
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

It's been my experience that the people who bitch and moan most about Macs have never actually used one. :P

And while I find Maddox very amusing, I remember him writing something about coding all his webpages by hand, blah blah blah.

Well, I've been there, done that, and people who brag about that sort of thing are kinda like the people who brag about how long they stood in line for tickets to such and such or the Japanese who boast about the trials and tribulations of their trips home during holidays (when people crowd the shinkansen cars to five or more times normal/safe capacity).

Exulting in shared pain and squalor SO impress me. :roll:

:D
orald

Post by orald »

Tyrant wrote:here is maddoxs page on macs
*making wierd hand movements* Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh...

:lol:

Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

SandChigger wrote:It's been my experience that the people who bitch and moan most about Macs have never actually used one. :P

YES!!! My Integrating Technology In the Classroom instructor was that way. He too kone look at th brand new Mac Lab and threw a fit and had us moved into a crappy out of the way pc lab and the kicker was the server for the room was a Mac Mini running XP that they ghosted the other computers off of. The PC's did not have as many applications on them and the class was very dull. With the MAc's we could of done a lot more experimenting with (All 24" Imacs drool) just because of what was available on them but no one wanted to use them, only two of us in the class had an experience with Macs at all.

Rob
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Robspierre wrote:
SandChigger wrote:It's been my experience that the people who bitch and moan most about Macs have never actually used one. :P

YES!!! My Integrating Technology In the Classroom instructor was that way. He too kone look at th brand new Mac Lab and threw a fit and had us moved into a crappy out of the way pc lab and the kicker was the server for the room was a Mac Mini running XP that they ghosted the other computers off of. The PC's did not have as many applications on them and the class was very dull. With the MAc's we could of done a lot more experimenting with (All 24" Imacs drool) just because of what was available on them but no one wanted to use them, only two of us in the class had an experience with Macs at all.

Rob
Just a guess, but were you drinking when you posted this? :lol:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:
Robspierre wrote:

Rob
Just a guess, but were you drinking when you posted this? :lol:
BASTARD!

>_>

Rob
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I can smell ya from here, mate. :lol:

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

What else besides Scotch?

Post by SandChigger »

It's short for Macintosh, after all. :wink:
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

And while I find Maddox very amusing, I remember him writing something about coding all his webpages by hand, blah blah blah.

Well, I've been there, done that, and people who brag about that sort of thing are kinda like the people who brag about how long they stood in line for tickets to such and such or the Japanese who boast about the trials and tribulations of their trips home during holidays (when people crowd the shinkansen cars to five or more times normal/safe capacity).

Exulting in shared pain and squalor SO impress me. :roll:

:D

lol..i can tell by the first line of your post that you just reinforced maddox's title and first line of the page :wink:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

What, shut the fuck up?

Actually, I can and do. Most of the people I hang around with are Mac users, too, so the issue generally doesn't come up. If people really want to put up with Windows or whatever, that's fine with me.

And I just chimed in here, I didn't start the thread. ;)
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I have never used a Mac but that isn't because I don't want to.. just never have. Aren't they more expensive than PCs in general? I can get a pretty decent PC for less than $1000.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I've never had the opportunity to use one either. Never even seen one in an office. I hear they are good for graphic arts though.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

SandChigger wrote:And I just chimed in here, I didn't start the thread. ;)
That "snub others" bit was sarcastic. I actually have a Windows machine, and one I plan to convert to a Solaris/Linux machine, just for the laughs.

I don't think Apple makes inherently superior machines or operating systems. They've proven time and time again that they can fuck up as much as anyone else. I think the new Macbook Air thing is one of the most ridiculous products on the market.
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm ... 87084.html
The above seems a much more portable machine, in my opinion.

I don't see any point in mindless bashing of random operating systems, unless it's Vista, which is a worthless piece of shit. Grats to Microsoft for making the least user-friendly OS since ME.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

i have no desire to get a mac...my pc's work great for what i use em for...and i've never had a problem with vista ....i have 2 vista's and 1 xp here at the house..i prefer vista

and sandchigger..i was just fucking with you..you know i love you :smoke:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I know. :D
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Tyrant wrote:i've never had a problem with vista ....i have 2 vista's and 1 xp here at the house..i prefer vista
Masochistic much? =P
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Im never buying another fucking PC again. I hate the damn things.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

Omphalos wrote:Im never buying another fucking PC again. I hate the damn things.
lol..i feel the same way about cars
orald

Post by orald »

Omphalos wrote:Im never buying another fucking PC again. I hate the damn things.
We should all do that and start the Butlerian Jihad! :evil:

loremaster

Post by loremaster »

I get out of depth when trying to use the telephone, but hey :-).

From a purely aesthetic (and incredibly nancy POV) - Macs do LOOK a whole lot better. (I dont mean resolution/colour, i just mean.......pretty packaging)

But due to cash flow i make do with this heap, it runs XP, providing its in a cool room and has a calculator nearby to help it with the difficult bits.
The HLP hasnt released Frank's notes yet, Brian hasn't got the handwriting quite right!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I agree, cars and telephones are evil. :evil:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
orald

Post by orald »

loremaster wrote:From a purely aesthetic (and incredibly nancy POV) - Macs do LOOK a whole lot better. (I dont mean resolution/colour, i just mean.......pretty packaging)

Macs are mostly about the image- both their sleek package(hey, Paris Hilton has a sleek packaging too, but to play on HP's motto, it's Hollow inside) and the trendy image they're supposed to lend to their owner.

My PC looks boxy and gray but it works(well, mostly, it's about 7-8 y-o now), and I don't care for the looks, it's not a pimp-mobile.