FH's Opinion on Homosexuality

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Schu

Post by Schu »

NotAbout wrote:I do understand that the mind can repress and deny things like this. Though denial is one thing and unconsciously repressing an urge is another.

My experience tells me that if anybody were to try gay sex for the reasons you've stated they'd find it wasn't for them or if they did, they would be deluding themselves. I've heard "I'm not gay, I just like having sex with men" too many times (not in so many words, but the implication was there) and to me its too ridiculous a concept to accept. I think that the terms "gay"/"straight"/"bi" have had their meaning loosened a lot, and I don't agree with it. A lot of struggles with sexuality arise from these labels being used too broadly, e.g. "I get erections over naked men and not women, but I don't like fashion, or speak with a lisp, I like playing footy, therefore I'm not gay!". As I've stated earlier, to me, to be "gay" is to be attracted to members of the same sex. Attraction can mean sex, or a whole bunch of other stuff.

As for the poo fetish, you've got me there. In fact internet fetishes in general are bizarre. Too much of a mind fuck to bother trying to understand.

But I'm me, so I've only got my own experiences to go on. Just my two cents on the matter.
Unconsciously repressing an urge is another thing that humans often do. Especially sportsmen, though that may be more sublimation.

Yes, they would be deluding themselves. That's the point. They're not really gay or bi in any way. My point was that people might consider gay sex or the like for many reasons other than attraction.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

If you're still this serious when you're my age, someone really will smack you about the head, you know? :P (If I'm still around, I'll do it. And then fall over wheezing.... :shock: )
NotAbout wrote:Now thats a toughy, only you can know for sure! I guess it depends on if you're thinking of getting your own erection or thinking about someone else getting one.
Or thinking about getting someone else's? :P

You left that one out. :oops:

Ahem. Just saying.
NotAbout

Post by NotAbout »

Yes, they would be deluding themselves. That's the point. They're not really gay or bi in any way. My point was that people might consider gay sex or the like for many reasons other than attraction.
Then really we both agree. My original point being that anybody experimenting without any attraction probably shouldn't be (I guess I wasn't too clear there though). You don't need to try it to find out if you're attracted.
If you're still this serious when you're my age, someone really will smack you about the head, you know? (If I'm still around, I'll do it. And then fall over wheezing.... )
I'm not serious all the time, I don't think you'll need to do that. I'm only serious in this thread since its is of incredible importance and global significance! :lol:
Schu

Post by Schu »

NotAbout wrote:
Then really we both agree. My original point being that anybody experimenting without any attraction probably shouldn't be (I guess I wasn't too clear there though). You don't need to try it to find out if you're attracted.
I think that at least some people do need to try it before they know. Self-delusion is a tricky thing to get out of.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

[Checks to see if thread is safe to reply in yet. Decides it isn't. Leaves to check the prequel threads for updates ... ]

HBJ
NotAbout

Post by NotAbout »

Schu wrote: I think that at least some people do need to try it before they know. Self-delusion is a tricky thing to get out of.
Well I feel happy with agreeing to disagree on this. :) Sorry for my derailing though.

Its safe to come back now HBJ!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(The "too serious" comment was really only directed at Schu, btw. ;) Kind of a continuation of something from a few days back, where I was fantasizing about smacking him about the head. With a nice halibut. Schu! Did I mention the halibut the other day? Getting so forgetful these days.... :P )
Schu

Post by Schu »

OH! Missed that. Oh well.

Hey, maybe I get off on fish beatings. Did you think about that?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

You hurt yourself giving birth to that one, didn't you?

It's so sad when 27 comes early.... :P
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Huh? What was I laughing at again...?
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Schu

Post by Schu »

I thought I was a sadistic necrophiliac zoophile, but it turns out I was only flogging a dead horse.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

*groan*
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
moreh_yeladim

Post by moreh_yeladim »

SandChigger wrote:Seriously? That's the first time you've noticed the homo-erotic subtext in these books? Erasmus analyzing Gilbertus' fine physique in the shower? And taking him out "camping" when he was a boy. To harden him up. ;)

Hearing the teenager breathing hard, though not protesting, Erasmus slowed his mechanical pace.

"Please don't get weird on me again, Mr. Erasmus."
I will kill whoever decided to turn their cheap slashfic into published novels.
I (can still) get an erection thinking about getting an erection! Very Happy

Where does that put me? Shocked
It means you're perfectly qualified to become an actor on "Torchwood".
Brian Herbert is a perfect example of why you shouldn't leave a universe-spanning empire to your next of kin.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I don't know that show, but I guess it's better that than "Deadwood"! :P
moreh_yeladim

Post by moreh_yeladim »

Oh, and to the guy who said that Baron Harkonnen's sexuality represented FH's opinion thereof... Baron Harkonnen wasn't repugnant merely for homosexuality (though at the time I'm sure it helped) but for paedophilia. Herbert was subtle about it when he wrote "Dune", but if you read the lines (not even between) it becomes apparent that the Baron prefers to rape young boys while they are drugged.
Brian Herbert is a perfect example of why you shouldn't leave a universe-spanning empire to your next of kin.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

moreh_yeladim wrote:Oh, and to the guy who said that Baron Harkonnen's sexuality represented FH's opinion thereof... Baron Harkonnen wasn't repugnant merely for homosexuality (though at the time I'm sure it helped) but for paedophilia. Herbert was subtle about it when he wrote "Dune", but if you read the lines (not even between) it becomes apparent that the Baron prefers to rape young boys while they are drugged.
I actually have some doubts that he was meant to be portayed as a pedophile. My last read through of Dune leads me to think these "boys" were actually young men. When the Baron is relating the scene with the poisoned slave boy he mentions that it was a struggle, but he was able to overpower the boy. If the Baron was barely able to win against the boy then there's little chance that this is a child IMO.

Not sure if that has any bearing on what FH was attempting to do, but it seems relevent to this discussion.
NotAbout

Post by NotAbout »

SandChigger wrote:I don't know that show, but I guess it's better that than "Deadwood"! :P
I've been told Deadwood is good, will have to find out for myself one day I guess.

Back to the subject at hand, its been a while since I've read Dune in its entirety and my memories keep getting mixed up with the miniseries (In which I believe the pedophilia was obvious). Having the Baron call young men "boys" doesn't seem too far fetched at all.
Schu

Post by Schu »

I think too much is being read into the word "struggle". He probably just gets sick pleasure from seeing the boys fight vainly against him.

Honestly it barely even matters whether they're young men or boys, it's still paedophilia, and it is most certainly still rape.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I believe the slave "boy" who attempts to kill the Baron was chosen because he looked like Paul, not necessarily because of his age or sex.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Baraka Bryan wrote:...of 14 or 15, which is still pedophilia
Not everywhere, clicky, but rape is rape regardless.
moreh_yeladim

Post by moreh_yeladim »

It doesn't matter if it's technically pedophilia by the standards of whichever culture you happen to come from. The point was that the Baron enjoyed raping relatively-young boys while they were drugged. There's enough perversion there to characterize the Baron even if you set the age of consent at 13 and say homosexuality's OK.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Fair nuff!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

moreh_yeladim wrote:There's enough perversion there to characterize the Baron even if you set the age of consent at 13 and say homosexuality's OK.
Homosexuality is OK, okay. Not sure I dig the subtext to your closing phrase there.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

inhuien wrote:
moreh_yeladim wrote:There's enough perversion there to characterize the Baron even if you set the age of consent at 13 and say homosexuality's OK.
Homosexuality is OK, okay. Not sure I dig the subtext to your closing phrase there.
:lol: Nice catch!

All this talk about homo and bisexuality reminds of the old joke where a guy claims he's trisexual because he'll try anything sexual. :lol:
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Splitting hairs here, but it does seem the Baron was really just an Ephebophile. I don't think he was ever clearly labeled a pedophile because he lived in a universe where society was so degraded and the royalty so corrupt that it was considered acceptable for the Baron to exercise whatever tastes he wanted. I doubt the word "pedophile" even exists in anything but dictionaries. Actually using the word would suggest that people have a negative context to use it in, which would go against the whole degradation of society theme. No one saw it as something wrong to label it.

I think what we're supposed to be taking from the Baron's perversion is not his homosexuality/ephebophilia, but the pleasure he takes from raping and that he seeks out those that resemble family members (Paul and possibly Feyd).