Doon

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

A Thing of Eternity

Doon

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

This may be the wrong area for this post, but has anyone read National Lampoons Doon? I'm just finishing it off right now, and I can't believe that someone wrote an entire novel spoofing Dune. What a waste of time... not as big a waste as reading it.... but a waste none the less. In all seriousness, it's pretty funny for the first couple chapters but then it gets old. I have a policy about reading books all the way through(developed before I read the Legends Series obviously. Hmm, maybe I should re-think that policy), so I've been reading a chapter or two in between every other book I read so the jokes don't seem so lame.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Overall, I think I enjoyed Doon, but I definately lost interest towards the end. Once the book got to the third section "Profit," I no longer found it as funny as I did.

Still, the mighty pretzels seem like a better substitute for sandworms than the latest "waterworms." :wink:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
orald

Post by orald »

Don't be so surprised, AToE, there's a LoTR spoof too from those guys, Bored of The Rings.

I on read a bit from Doon, I have it on a notepad file so it's in bad order, but it's also full of typoes. If anyone has a typo-free copy it'd be appriciated.
I thought of correcting it myself but it's too big and boring a task really.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I read Bored of the Rings first and enjoyed it a lot more. Doon didn't seem as funny, all in all.

Oh well.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
orald

Post by orald »

IDK, maybe the start of Bored of The Rings was just plain lame, but I enjoyed what little I read of Doon better than what little I read of that.

Maybe P&B need to put "Doon" on the cover instead of "Dune"?
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nah, just "DUMB" would be sufficient. :wink:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Onasander

Re: Doon

Post by Onasander »

I am a bit surprised all the haters on this site haven't published their own parody- you don't need permission and it's long, long protected use of free speech in the US meant to continue debate.

Anyone want details on the copyright laws (if your too lazy to google library of congress copyright office) PM me before May 20th. Not only could you make a parody online- but publish it, and perhaps even have it sold right next your your favorite KJA books if they are listed as a Sci-Fi.

'Sandworms or Douche'
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

"Haters." Yawn.

You bumped a two-year-old thread for that?

Also, the contraction for "you are" is spelled "you're."
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Didn't this moron post some shit over on DN and have a website dealing with copyrights at some point? Wants to be a writer/publisher?

Yeah, a functional illiterate is the first person I'm going to go to for details on ... anything! :lol:

(Ooooh, isn't someone going to ask him WHY BEFORE MAY 20?! I'm just DYING to know! :roll: )
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Maybe 'Sander is planning on returning to his native country of Anus-land? Not quite as spiffy as Petoria, I must say.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Analtopia: Where preeks and OH can just . . . just love, man.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

The Doon author's still do a better job capturing something of Dune's style than the Journeyman or Brian (or Rebecca since she does the final edits).
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Actually, as I pointed out when I first read Doon, I think that KJABH actually drew some inspiration from it. The sickeningly evil baron of Doon more closely resembles their portrayal than FH's.
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

Onasander wrote:I am a bit surprised all the haters on this site haven't published their own parody- you don't need permission and it's long, long protected use of free speech in the US meant to continue debate.

Anyone want details on the copyright laws (if your too lazy to google library of congress copyright office) PM me before May 20th. Not only could you make a parody online- but publish it, and perhaps even have it sold right next your your favorite KJA books if they are listed as a Sci-Fi.

'Sandworms or Douche'
haters? lol Who are the assholes raping and money milking the epic Dune saga of Frank Herbert? No thanks, I enjoy watching Pinky & The Brain making fools of themselves, publishing their Dune parodies :tissue2:

Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe