Heroes of Dune predictions: What are you betting on?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Don't laugh. The last time I looked over on Dumb Novels, some dipshit was calling for additional "Heroes" books. (IIRC "Siona of Dune" was specifially named. :roll: )

Um...possible new wrinkle...

Some guy named Russel has posted a review over on Amazon in which he refers to PoD as "the first half of a longer book", to be completed by Jessica of Dune. That doesn't jibe with anything I've seen mentioned by the Hack or Byron, but it kinda makes sense if you think about it.

Originally they announced a trilogy, to mesh with the originals like this:

Dune
Paul of Dune
Dune Messiah
Jessica of Dune
Children of Dune
Irulan of Dune
God Emperor of Dune

PoD was to come out this year, with the other two books each coming two years later, because they'll be releasing one of their Hellhole trilogy books in the off years. PoD was included in the same contract as Hunters and Sandworms.

When they signed the contract for the next two books this year, they suddenly releaved a fourth book, Leto of Dune, to cover the first years of Leto's reign, and started talking about releasing Jessica next fall, instead of autumn 2010 as originally announced. That would mean something like this:

Dune
Paul of Dune
Dune Messiah
Jessica of Dune
Children of Dune
Irulan of Dune
Leto of Dune

God Emperor of Dune

I'm wondering if what they're really planning now is this:

Dune
Paul of Dune
Jessica of Dune

Dune Messiah
Irulan of Dune
Children of Dune
Leto of Dune
God Emperor of Dune

(Edit: This IS what they're planning. :roll: See newer post below.)

A bad precedent, IMHO. If they start squeezing multiple books in between the originals, there will literally be no end to them. The ten-volume Duncans of Dune would fit nicely between LoD and GEoD, no? :roll:

This is all speculation based on what may be a simple error in a review on Amazon. But neither KJA nor Byron have ever even referred to much less explain the change in publication schedule for JoD or why LoD was suddenly added.
Last edited by SandChigger on 24 Oct 2008 23:30, edited 2 times in total.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

So basicaly their work philosophy is "the shit must flow".
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Seraphan wrote:So basicaly their work philosophy is "the shit must flow".
...a lot.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I still can't get over the fact that there will be four novels. "Paul" I can understand. "Jessica", well, okay. I would have thought "Alia" would have been more likely, but whatever. "Leto", sure, makes sense for a 3.5 novel.

But "Irulan"??? Give me a break. What on earth would they have to write about her that couldn't be squeezed into one of the other three? Unless it's "DM and Cod from another, interesting, revealing - and, of course, *contradictory* - point-of-view".

"Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead", anyone?

HBJ
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Hamlet 2 :lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Freakzilla wrote:Hamlet 2 :lol:
Indeed. :).

Actually, I was going to mention that movie in another thread about the prequels. The prequels are to the originals as "Hamlet 2" (the play in the movie) is to Hamlet.

If you don't understand why people object to the prequels, think about why people in the movie objected to "Hamlet 2" (the play). Same thing.

Except the Hacks Twain don't consider their "Dune 2" to be a complete joke.

HBJ
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Hunchback Jack wrote:I still can't get over the fact that there will be four novels. "Paul" I can understand. "Jessica", well, okay. I would have thought "Alia" would have been more likely, but whatever. "Leto", sure, makes sense for a 3.5 novel.

But "Irulan"??? Give me a break. What on earth would they have to write about her that couldn't be squeezed into one of the other three? Unless it's "DM and Cod from another, interesting, revealing - and, of course, *contradictory* - point-of-view".

"Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead", anyone?

HBJ
exactly. why is she a "Hero of Dune" :evil:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, she's already falling in love with Paul by the end of PoD (she realizes this when he miraculously comes back from the brink of death after Fenring stabs him in the chest), so I imagine they're going to milk it big time by trying to get into her head and her heart, psychoanalyze her.

Should be..."riveting".

:roll:
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandChigger wrote:Well, she's already falling in love with Paul by the end of PoD (she realizes this when he miraculously comes back from the brink of death after Fenring stabs him in the chest), so I imagine they're going to milk it big time by trying to get into her head and her heart, psychoanalyze her.
Great. "All My Children ... of Dune".

HBJ
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Great. "All My Children ... of Dune".
:lol:

Brilliant!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Why are any of them hero[e]s? As I've said many times, just the name of the series point to a fudamental lack of understanding of FH's themes.

[Edited the apostrophe out of heroes. WTF?]
Last edited by Freakzilla on 21 Oct 2008 19:10, edited 2 times in total.
~Pink Snowman
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Freakzilla wrote:Why are any of them hero's? As I've said many times, just the name of the series point to a fudamental lack of understanding of FH's themes.
agreed, but they are not even consistent in the their own way of thinking
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Freakzilla wrote:Why are any of them hero[e]s? As I've said many times, just the name of the series point to a fudamental lack of understanding of FH's themes.

[Edited the apostrophe out of heroes. WTF?]
Excelent point there and another stroke against them.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Correction!

I was just going back through old blawg posts looking for when they started writing Jessica and found this, from April 14:
We are pleased to announce a new deal with Tor Books for three more Dune novels to follow PAUL OF DUNE. These novels -- JESSICA OF DUNE, IRULAN OF DUNE, and LETO OF DUNE -- will also flesh out and fill in the gaps in Frank Herbert's original three Dune novels. The new novels will focus on each of the title characters.

The first book in this sequence, PAUL OF DUNE, is in effect a direct sequel to DUNE, filling in much of the story of Paul's Jihad, and will be published this September. JESSICA also fits mostly into this time period. IRULAN is a sequel to DUNE MESSIAH, taking place after blind Paul has walked off into the sand, leaving his empire in the hands of Alia. And LETO OF DUNE takes place immediately after the end of CHILDREN OF DUNE, showcasing the first years of the God Emperor's reign. (This latter novel is the story most requested in the fan letters we receive.)

These novels will be published every other year (or perhaps sooner, depending on our writing speed and on our duties for the upcoming Paramount film version of DUNE).

-- KJA
"JESSICA also fits mostly into th[e same] time period" as PoD. Well, that clears that up.

Sorry for the confusion. It's difficult to keep track of every bit of shit that issueth forth from the mouth of Kevin. :roll:
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

SandChigger wrote:Correction!

I was just going back through old blawg posts looking for when they started writing Jessica and found this, from April 14:
We are pleased to announce a new deal with Tor Books for three more Dune novels to follow PAUL OF DUNE. These novels -- JESSICA OF DUNE, IRULAN OF DUNE, and LETO OF DUNE -- will also flesh out and fill in the gaps in Frank Herbert's original three Dune novels. The new novels will focus on each of the title characters.

The first book in this sequence, PAUL OF DUNE, is in effect a direct sequel to DUNE, filling in much of the story of Paul's Jihad, and will be published this September. JESSICA also fits mostly into this time period. IRULAN is a sequel to DUNE MESSIAH, taking place after blind Paul has walked off into the sand, leaving his empire in the hands of Alia. And LETO OF DUNE takes place immediately after the end of CHILDREN OF DUNE, showcasing the first years of the God Emperor's reign. (This latter novel is the story most requested in the fan letters we receive.)

These novels will be published every other year (or perhaps sooner, depending on our writing speed and on our duties for the upcoming Paramount film version of DUNE).

-- KJA
"JESSICA also fits mostly into th[e same] time period" as PoD. Well, that clears that up.

Sorry for the confusion. It's difficult to keep track of every bit of shit that issueth forth from the mouth of Kevin. :roll:
Yeah, PoD really tackled the time in between Dune and DM, didn't it? I mean, half the novel took place between House Corrino and Dune, but hey, what can you do?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

One thing I want to do after I get the sucker in searchable form is count all the lame references in the "Emperor" sections to events just recounted in the "Young Paul" ones.

Especially the ones NEVER EVER referred to by FH. :twisted:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I can't find the comment at the moment (maybe it was over on T(A)U?), but I believe I posted something a while back about thinking that, if nothing can dissuade these idiots from continuing this ridiculous series, it would at least be more interesting if they would break from the monotonous writing style used in their first nine books (ten, since Jessica is probably exactly the same) and do something different...like writing Irulan of Dune in first-person (since supposedly she's the one writing everything so far :roll: ).

Well, it just occurred to me that it would be PERFECT if they adopted a first-person style for Leto of Dune!

Can you imagine what a MONUMENTAL FARCE it would be for a complete hack like Kevin to try to write in Leto's voice? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Can you imagine what a MONUMENTAL FARCE it would be for a complete hack like Kevin to try to write in Leto's voice? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
That's not funny. :(
~Pink Snowman
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I might actually buy one of their books if they did that. It'd be good for a laugh.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Mandy wrote:I might actually buy one of their books if they did that. It'd be good for a laugh.
The possibilities for inconsistancies in Other Memory are almost limitletss!

:puke:
~Pink Snowman
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

Freakzilla wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Can you imagine what a MONUMENTAL FARCE it would be for a complete hack like Kevin to try to write in Leto's voice? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
That's not funny. :(
KJA's Leto II would be a sad little wormling who would have to talk about his personal achievements to everyone he speaks with. Kind of like how KJA always mentions his awards in each interview.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

And then I told Moneo about the time I signed the swords of two million of my Fish Speakers. It was the greatest such signing in history...and I should know. :P
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Did I tell you I'm friends with Noah Arkwright? Yeah, we hang out all the time.
~Pink Snowman
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

He would be an Emo.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Ghost wrote:He would be an Emo.
WTF is an "Emo"? My seven-year-old told me the other day he wanted an "emo" haircut.

He got a crew-cut. :lol:
~Pink Snowman