Dune Novels

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

orald wrote:Oh, IDK, I have such a busy schedule of late, what with Billary, Osama, Olmert and all... :wink:
Dude get your fucking priorities straight;)

Rob
orald

Post by orald »

My priorities are that I just started working at a gas station, my feet and lower back are killing me from standing over 8 hours, and no, I won't convert back to orthodox Judaism Mr. Nice Hasidic Customer, but you can try and give me a tip to try and change my mind. :roll:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

If I were a tasteless, evil bastard, I would buy as many copies as I could afford, then advertise them at higher prices on KJA's blog.

But I'm a better person than that.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

orald wrote:My priorities are that I just started working at a gas station, my feet and lower back are killing me from standing over 8 hours, and no, I won't convert back to orthodox Judaism Mr. Nice Hasidic Customer, but you can try and give me a tip to try and change my mind. :roll:
See with all the focus o nthe elections, Billary and inc are not good targets, take oot P&B first and then the others, come on man think!!!! ;)

Rob[/b]
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

orald wrote:My priorities are that I just started working at a gas station, my feet and lower back are killing me from standing over 8 hours, and no, I won't convert back to orthodox Judaism Mr. Nice Hasidic Customer, but you can try and give me a tip to try and change my mind. :roll:
Hehe, keep pumpin' chump. You'll make enough in tips to buy one of those autographed books :P

BTW Chig, I always suspected that WebDud was behind the "waaaa, a crying fan complained so here are some new draconian rules" bit over at Dunenovels. Byron certainly knows. Well, "spice grandson", its been awhile, tell us who the preek crybaby is, would ya?
orald

Post by orald »

Tips?! :roll:

I don't know what kind of culture you've got over at the states, but here to tip a pump guy doesn't seem like something anyone thinks mucha about(though I did get a nice tip today, worth about half an hour's pay, minimum wage of course).

Tleilax Master B

orald wrote:Tips?! :roll:

I don't know what kind of culture you've got over at the states, but here to tip a pump guy doesn't seem like something anyone thinks mucha about(though I did get a nice tip today, worth about half an hour's pay, minimum wage of course).
Dude, there is no such thing (AFAIK) as a "pump guy" here anymore. I haven't seen a "full service" gas station in many, many years. We have to get our lazy american asses out and pump our own damn overpriced gas these days.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Tleilax Master B wrote:

Dude, there is no such thing (AFAIK) as a "pump guy" here anymore. I haven't seen a "full service" gas station in many, many years. We have to get our lazy american asses out and pump our own damn overpriced gas these days.
Full service stations are the law in Oregon.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

We still have a few over here, but they're slowly disappearing. :(

Of course, tipping is almost unknown over here.

And it shows in the service. :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Tleilax Master B

Omphalos wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:

What?!?! No shit. I was not aware of that. I haven't ever been to Oregon, so not surprising I suppose. Damn, I wish they had that here :cry:
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

They went the way of the dinosaur up here when the prices skyrocketed, just one more cost that people don't want to pay for. Only law we have on the subject (in my area not all of canada) is that as of about two months ago we have to pay at the pump or the store before we fill up. I guess someone got very brutally killed trying to stop a gas-n-go... so now there are no more gas and go's. Kinda suprised they didn't do it earlier.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I only know of one service station in our entire country ... of course our country is smaller then most single states in the US but still.
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

Tleilax Master B wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:

What?!?! No shit. I was not aware of that. I haven't ever been to Oregon, so not surprising I suppose. Damn, I wish they had that here :cry:
I had a buddy from Oregon and he told me that, I was always impressed. I guess all the pot smoking hippies there are too high or lazy to get out of the car and do it theirselves. :wink:
Tleilax Master B

Hehe. Well include me in that group, if I could get Orald to pump my gas for me, I sure as hell would :P
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Tleilax Master B wrote:Hehe. Well include me in that group, if I could get Orald to pump my gas for me, I sure as hell would :P
I think that Oregon has relaxed the rules a bit in the last few years. IIRC motorcyclists now by statute may fuel their own vehicles. NJ also used to have a "no fuel by public" statute, though we have just gone back into that state and I have not had time to research that issue yet to see if it is still the case.

I think that the Oregon trade association for gasoline merchants lobbied for the statute to support better profits, since full-self serve fueling costs more per gallon. Nobody opposed it and it just kind of snuck through. I think the rationally they put forth in support was that petroleum products are a dangerous commodity and experts were needed to dispense them to keep risks down. There was also an environmental component too, which I think Oregon voters liked more, because the proper way to fuel a vehicle entails waiting five seconds after pumping stops, then tipping the nozzle up in the tank, and finally removing with the nozzle opening upright to prevent any spills of drops, which in the aggregate total thousands of gallons per day across the US. Since virtually nobody in the public understands or practices this, the legislature decided to approve it and save the Earth a bit more by requiring "trained experts" to dispense fuel, and prevent wastage of gasoline.

No idea what went on in NJ. The mob probably had pictures of most state senators banging their secretaries and forced the issue on them. :wink:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

It also keeps Oregons unemployment numbers down.

Rob
BH

Post by BH »

Up in WA the HLP has a fleet of limos on call 24 hours a day, so I do'not have to pump gas anymore.
The Mutati are NOT facedancers! They are TOTALLY different! Can'you'not see that?
orald

Post by orald »

Tleilax Master B wrote:Hehe. Well include me in that group, if I could get Orald to pump my gas for me, I sure as hell would :P
That sounds...disturbing. :shock:

Well, from my few days at work I can tell you the Israeli public(and I assume also in the USA) just doesn't always know how to pump right.
Especially old people and, uh, women(who allowed women to sit behind the steering wheel anyway? :roll: ).

I got people who aren't sure what their fuel is(one guy told me 96 when it was 95 and I spotted it on time, thankfully[or would've gotten fired and probably had to compensate him if the engine was ruined or w/e...though he was a nice guy]...he couldn't remember which car of his was what), people who think they know how to operate the pumps(rash young men...hooligans) but don't, and most people(especially the pampered ladies :roll: and old folks...people in suits who don't want to mess themselves) don't really seem the type to start touching such filthy things.

We don't have self service in our station, but we do have lower prices(w/e, lower than what, I ask :roll: and I've been joking about it with some customers who ask the same) even without it.

Frankly, I'm not car savvy. Before this I've never actually looked at how one fills gas. Alot of people seem to think they know how to but they don't.

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I think I've got it down. :lol:
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

I know that electrical standards are less stringent when you have a 'qualified person' operating the pump so construction would be cheaper....
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Some bottomfeeder over on DN wrote:I agree with you that the KH is primarily genetic however there is the possibility that the genetic sample from which Paolo was created was corrupted in some way. For example, I'm sure Scytale carried perfectly preserved cell samples in his nullentropy capsule but there is no telling where the "samples" for Paolo was obtained
Could someone go tell that little shite that they were obtained from the knife that Fenring supposedly used when he tried to assassinate Paul.

Tell him that READING IS FUNDAMENTAL and that he's an idiot. :roll:

(And that "samples" requires a plural verb. :roll: )
orald

Post by orald »

SandChigger wrote:Could someone go tell that little shite that they were obtained from the knife that Fenring supposedly used when he tried to assassinate Paul.
Huh? When was that? Before or after he refused Shaddam to do the same?

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh, which pile of shit was it in, Grunters or Sadworms?

It's hard enough keeping track of one's own stool, let alone that of two shites with terminal cases of the runs! :shock:

The point is that arnoloco makes some of the stupidest statements I've ever seen and you have to wonder sometimes if he has read ANY of the books, really.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:
Some bottomfeeder over on DN wrote:I agree with you that the KH is primarily genetic however there is the possibility that the genetic sample from which Paolo was created was corrupted in some way. For example, I'm sure Scytale carried perfectly preserved cell samples in his nullentropy capsule but there is no telling where the "samples" for Paolo was obtained
Could someone go tell that little shite that they were obtained from the knife that Fenring supposedly used when he tried to assassinate Paul.

Tell him that READING IS FUNDAMENTAL and that he's an idiot. :roll:

(And that "samples" requires a plural verb. :roll: )
That was from the imaginary knife Fenring stabbed Paul with, wasn't it?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
LiquidBlue

Post by LiquidBlue »

“This is an ancient weapon—thousands of years old—sealed inside a nullentropy field until today, hidden and protected over the centuries by a succession of religious fanatics.”

“Is that blood?” Uxtal asked.

“I prefer to call it genetic material.”… “We discovered it in a long-sealed religious shrine here on Dan, watched over by remnants of the Fish Speakers, who have now joined the Cult of Sheeana. The dagger is stained with the blood of Paul Atreides.”

[Uxtal is amazed. Two Face Dancers lead a woman into the room]

[The woman says,] “I am Ardath, formerly a Fish Speaker priestess, now servant of Sheeana. Long ago, the evil Count Hasimir Fenring attempted to assassinate the blessed Muad’Dib with this dagger. The weapon belonged to Emperor Shaddam IV, was given to Duke Leto Atreides as a gift, and then returned to Shaddam during his trial before the Landsraad. Later, Emperor Shaddam offered the dagger to Feyd-Rautha for his duel with Muad’Dib.”…

“Later, during Muad’Dib’s jihad, an exiled Hasimir Fenring—himself a failed Kwisatz Haderach—acquired the dagger. In a vile plot, he stabbed Muad’Dib deeply in the back. Some say that he died that day from the wound, but that Heaven sent him back among the living, for his work was not yet done. In a miracle he returned to us.”

Hunters of Dune
Some never participate. Life happens to them. They get by on little more than dumb persistence and resist with anger or violence all things that might lift them out of resentment-filled illusions of security.
-Alma Mavis Taraza

"Glory or insanity awaits" -- Rimmer