Dune Novels

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

Spicelon

Re: RE: SOUNDS OF SILENCE THREAD

Post by Spicelon »

SandChigger wrote:Someone's behind this sudden spurt
hee hee

Every time i check in on this thread, I am motivated to actually go look at DN - then i get mad at you guys for making me do that. Asses. ;)
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
orald

Post by orald »

I shall remain pure and not go to that house of blasphemy and idoltary!
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

SandChigger wrote:Um...does Dune Novels pretty much suck out loud now, or what? :D
Was it ever sucking quietly?

:?
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hmmm....

Once upon a time, gently on my arse, yes, it was. :)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Hey on a slightly unrelated note, is "Drunken Duncan" actually Poey?? The art he uses as his avatar is one of Poey's masterpieces ( :roll: ), isn't it?

SC: It takes an incredible amount of will power to argue with Byron, because he just keeps stating the same stuff over and over and over, generally requiring you to respond in the same fashion, with the same obvious points that disprove his misguided arguments.

On the other hand, i am still not convinced the Siona vision is one of the future. I think its one of the past; a past that was avoided by Leto II. Otherwise, why does he tell her "by now" all humans would be extinct?
orald

Post by orald »

Tleilax Master B wrote:On the other hand, i am still not convinced the Siona vision is one of the future. I think its one of the past; a past that was avoided by Leto II. Otherwise, why does he tell her "by now" all humans would be extinct?
Wait, I wasn't sure I got this before, so Byron(or preeks) claim P&B's crap is "based on canon" because supposedly that whole uber hunter-seeker vision has been interperted as a FUTURE one? That's bloody rediculous!

Like you said, here are some quotes too:
God Leto to Hwi wrote:"The lxians contemplated making a weapon-a type of hunter-seeker, self propelled death with a machine mind. It was to be designed as a self improving thing which would seek out life and reduce that life to its inorganic matter."
Past tenses. The second part clearly shows it never left the drawing board.
God Leto to Siona wrote:"What makes you do what you do?"
The question was well framed. He said: "My need to save the people."
"What people?"
"My definition is much broader than that of anyone else even of the Bene Gesserit, who think they have defined what it is to be human. I refer to the eternal thread of all humankind by whatever definition."
"You're trying to tell me. . ." Her mouth became too dry for speaking. She tried to accumulate saliva. He saw the movements within her face mask. Her question was obvious, though, and he did not wait.
"Without me there would have been by now no people anywhere, none whatsoever. And the path to that extinction was more hideous than your wildest imaginings."
"Your supposed prescience," she sneered.
"The Golden Path still stands open," he said.
Past tense.

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

You can't even expect them to get the no-brainers. :lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I am actually double surprised as a non-native English speaker. I firts read Dune long ago in Dutch and that translation accurately translates this conversation in the past tense as well.

Byron keeps sinking further in KJA mud by the day. Does anybody know whether he gets paid for his work for the HLP ( running the board and giving 5 star amazon ratings )?
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Serkanner wrote:I am actually double surprised as a non-native English speaker. I firts read Dune long ago in Dutch and that translation accurately translates this conversation in the past tense as well.

Byron keeps sinking further in KJA mud by the day. Does anybody know whether he gets paid for his work for the HLP ( running the board and giving 5 star amazon ratings )?
Oh, I bet he does. He must get some share of the HLP profits, if not direct wages for what he does.
orald

Post by orald »

No, he doesn't get paid by the HLP, it's KJA who pays him for the blowjobs.

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, for what it's worth, here's my take on it.

At some point in the past Leto nipped a really nasty possible future (resulting from the super hunter-seeker the Ixians were contemplating?) in the bud. That's what he's talking about in the "Without me..." quote.

I saw Freak's suggestion that Siona's vision was a telepathic message from Leto, a memory of his vision of a potential future from a point in the past. Hmmm....

I personally think Siona is seeing a view of a possible future that Leto conjures by imagining himself dying without all the "pieces" in place to ensure the GP began/continued as he planned. That his mere thoughts could have such an impact on the future is shown here:
Leto squirmed away and went to the shadowed limit of the chamber, keeping his attention on the faint arc of a line which would become an opening into the night if he merely converted the wish into a thought-of-command. What a long drop that would be out there—just roll off the landing-lip. He doubted that even his body would survive it. But there was no water in the sand beneath his tower and he could feel the Golden Path winking in and out of existence merely because he allowed himself to think of such an end.
I still don't think much of the "prescients viewing the past" idea, and I don't see anything in the passage to suggest Leto is "beaming" the vision to Siona...which means it's a future which becomes possible (inevitable?) at that point in time.

Though brilliant in its own twisted way, I think very little of the interpretation of this as a possible future now being spouted by The Sell-out Mouthpiece of Orthodoxy over on Dune Novels...that it means the Golden Path ultimately failed and therefore the bullshit of the sequels is valid.

No, at the point in time of Siona's vision, Leto is still alive and can influence the future by thought or action. And that's what I think happens. He gives her the spice essence from his cowl teat and imagines himself dying and she sees a possible future which is inevitable without the Golden Path.

It is not the future that Leto prevented when he nixxed the super hunter-seeker—the "Without me..." one—because that "future in the past" is already over and done with. It's a different one that is still possible if he doesn't die properly.

Because, as he points out later to Duncan and Siona as he lies dying beside the river, the Ixians can always make the machines; he just stopped one particular project in the past. But his death and the resulting final establishment of the GP ensures that they cannot make Arafel—the extinction of the whole race.

There...that's my piece. FWIW. ;)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Tleilax Master B wrote:Hey on a slightly unrelated note, is "Drunken Duncan" actually Poey?? The art he uses as his avatar is one of Poey's masterpieces ( :roll: ), isn't it?
Probably not. I traded user-page comments with Poey just recently and it seems he's more focused on his music and classes now, not so much the online Dune world.
orald wrote:No, he doesn't get paid by the HLP, it's KJA who pays him for the blowjobs.
Hmm...I would have figured it the other way around, but then again, when you think about the comb-over, it's obvious Kev doesn't "give good head." :P
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I think that Leto was just looking for an excuse to whip out his spice nipples and get her to take a lil' lick-see. Naughty bastard.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:D

"Stroke it gently," he said.

Her hand obeyed not his voice but something from within her. The finger movements were precise, eliciting his own memories, a thing passed from child to child to child...the way so much information and misinformation survived. He turned his face to its limit and looked sideways at her face so close to his. Pale blue drops began to form at the flap's edge. Rich cinnamon smells enveloped them. She leaned toward the drops. He saw the pores beside her nose, the way her tongue moved as she drank.

"Oh, yeah, suck it...suck my spice tit, little Atreides," he panted.

:shock:

Wait a minute, that's not right!
orald

Post by orald »

Infidel defilers! God Leto shall execute swift justice upon all who has blasphemed him! You shall drown in lakes of blood and forever hear your own shrieking as you're eternally torn apart by the demons of the underworld! :evil:

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

"Mmm...yeah...oh, that's nice...ung!" Leto moaned. The great worm body began quivering as waves of spasmodic contractions swept across it from head to tail and back again. A slow, muffled thrum, thrum, thrum began to drum somewhere and even Leto was confused for a second: A thumper? Who summons a worm that can never come? Then he realized with a shock it was his own useless flipper feet striking the sand.

Siona looked up, disturbed by the sound, but Leto quickly pulled her back toward the engorged tip of the spice teat, worried that she would be terrified or disgusted if she looked to closely and saw where he was also poling the sand...

:lol: I knew you'd enjoy a little God Worm fanfic.
orald

Post by orald »

You are all byond repair! :(

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Not at all:

Just watch how Leto and Siona and I repair to my sleeping chamber for a bit more of the teat! :D
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Can we get a smiley throwing a bucket of water on something?

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hey, Edric has surfaced over on Dune Novels. I wonder if this means he'll be back in action and maybe smack the biatch about a bit? :D
orald

Post by orald »

Can we get better puking smilies? I don't think the notion of SC having fun time with a sandworm symbiote can be properly answered by :puke: .

Anyway, anyone think he/she can word an anti-P&B/pre'&se' petition/poll thread on DN in a way that will go below the staff's radar for a while?
IDK, an allegory or somesuch.

Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

SandChigger wrote::D

"Stroke it gently," he said.

Her hand obeyed not his voice but something from within her. The finger movements were precise, eliciting his own memories, a thing passed from child to child to child...the way so much information and misinformation survived. He turned his face to its limit and looked sideways at her face so close to his. Pale blue drops began to form at the flap's edge. Rich cinnamon smells enveloped them. She leaned toward the drops. He saw the pores beside her nose, the way her tongue moved as she drank.

"Oh, yeah, suck it...suck my spice tit, little Atreides," he panted.

Wait a minute, that's not right!

Oh you and your Sloey worm PrOn :P

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah...I miss ole Sloecoms. Someone say howdy for me, huh?

Anyway, so can we assume that what The Mouthpiece is spewing now is finally the official position, that Frank intended to tear Leto down just as he did everything else he created and thus the Golden Path was fooked?

I personally reject that categorically, as they have not shown any convincing way in which all of humanity could be threatened. (And I certainly don't buy that despicable troll's assertion that SFDs could infiltrate all parts of the Scattering in no-ships and thus endanger the species. He doesn't seem to understand that some people in the Scattering didn't look or come back or let others know where they were headed. To find them you would have to search every star system in every galaxy...everywhere. And while you were doing that, they'd be multiplying and sending other splinter groups off even further afield. D'uh.)

I DID LIKE where Freak asked if it was really Byron posting! :lol:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:I DID LIKE where Freak asked if it was really Byron posting! :lol:
Me too. I think that's like the third time Ive seen him do that. Funny.

Goodnight Golden Path!
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

I missed that part. I've just been over there, it's really gone downhill.