Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Serkanner
Administrator

Re: Dune Movie 2021 is coming soon!!

Post by Serkanner »

Cpt. Aramsham wrote:I actually think people who watch the movie first (or both movies, if the second matches) and then read the book might have a better overall experience.
:lol:
However that may be, you are clearly hoping for the movie to fail, just as famicommander said and you dishonestly denied.
Whatever.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Naib

Post by Naib »

Cpt. Aramsham wrote:Then why do you think we would be lucky if there's not another movie? You claim it's a matter of indifference.

I have seen the film—twice, actually. It is not the book (on a scene-by-scene level it is less faithful than the Lynch adaptation), but it is a pretty good movie on its own merits, and I am convinced it will drive more fans to the books. Instead of trying to explain everything the book explains, it leaves a bunch of things about the universe mysterious and intriguing. This is a very good choice: it's easier to wrap your head around the idea that something is a mystery than to follow a long, complicated explanation, so in this way, it actually manages to reduce confusion while piquing the interest of the uninitiated.
I was hoping for a 70-80% faithful adaptation. Dialogue and all. But it sounds as if that isn't the case.
Cpt. Aramsham

Post by Cpt. Aramsham »

(Don't read if you wish to avoid all spoilers.)

In terms of plot I'd say it is 95%–99% faithful. There's no major event that happens in the movie that doesn't come from the book. Some things happen a little bit differently (for example, Jessica has Yueh give Paul a physical before the gom jabbar test), or shuffled slightly in order, or two events are combined into one. And some things that are off-page in the novel are shown here. On the other hand, there are major parts that the movie leaves out completely (for example the whole subplot about a suspected traitor, the banquet scene, etc.).

In terms of scenes it's probably 60%–70% faithful. Most of the scenes come from the book (with some modifications), but there are also quite a lot that have been created for the movie (particularly early on). To give a couple of examples, there's a scene at the start where Paul and Jessica have breakfast and Jessica trains Paul in the Voice, and there's one later on where Piter is on Salusa Secundus to arrange for the Sardaukar's support in the invasion.

In terms of dialogue it's probably more like 10%–20%. There are lines that come from the book throughout (though sometimes delivered by other characters: here it is Gurney who warns Paul not to sit with his back against a door), but the clear majority are original to the script.

There are also some modifications in the worldbuilding, most noticeably in how shields are depicted. (Not 100% effective against projectile or explosive weaponry, and no hint of the lasgun-shield interaction, with enemies firing lasers towards shielded targets with abandon.)
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Villeneuve did say that some stuff may be pushed to the second film, and that there were almost 2 hours of scenes cut from this one. I'd be very interested to see the deleted scenes or an extended cut down the line as we know he cut a scene with Gurney playing the baliset and another scene where Gurney tells the story of his scar.

In any case, the movie appears to be a massive success. It grossed 39 million dollars in its limited opening this weekend; Blade Runner 2049 did 24 million in the same markets in 2017. The movie has also climbed to 90% on Rotten Tomatoes.

The movie has a very staggered release so there are still plenty of big openings. US, Canada, UK, China, Japan, etc are not until mid to late October.

Next week it opens in the Middle East.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

The new movie is doing well for itself, and it's also causing a surge in interest for previous Dune related screen projects.

Current IMDB film popularity rankings:
1. Dune (2021) - up 1 spot from last week
14. Dune (1984) - up 14 spots from last week; also playing in theaters in the US and UK again
408. Dune: Part Two (not even announced yet) - up 1138 spots from last week
1442. Jodorowsky's Dune (2014) - up 930 spots from last week

Current IMDB television series popularity rankings:
202. Dune (2000) - up 139 spots from last week
568. Children of Dune (2003) - up 171 spots from last week
1279. Dune: the Sisterhood (2022/3?) - up 664 spots from last week; show is technically greenlit but no details are out there

And we've already seen the original novel resurface in the Amazon best selling fiction list as well as the most read fiction list.
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Is Dune actually released anywhere in the U.S. yet? Where I live it is not playing yet.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

georgiedenbro wrote:Is Dune actually released anywhere in the U.S. yet? Where I live it is not playing yet.
No.

It has released in:
Belgium
France
Luxembourg
Norway
Switzerland
Sweden
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Denmark
Italy
Germany
Hong Kong
Kazakhstan
The Netherlands
Russia/CIS
Singapore
Taiwan
Ukraine
Austria
Estonia
Finland
Iceland
Latvia
Lithuania
Spain
Morocco
Bahrain
Egypt
Kuwait
Lebanon
Qatar
Saudi Arabia
United Arab Emirates

Next openings

October 13: Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand

October 14: Greece, Malaysia

October 15: Japan, Ghana, Nigeria, Vietnam, East Africa

October 20: South Korea

October 21: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Israel, Mexico, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Portugal, Serbia, Slovenia, Slovakia, United Kingdom, Ireland, Uruguay, Venezuela

October 22: USA, Canada, China, India, Bulgaria, Poland, Romania, South Africa, Turkey

December 2: Australia

Major markets in bold
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

famicommander wrote: Major markets in bold
Phew, for a second I was worried and confused about whether Cyprus is a major market.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Tomorrow we should have some indicators of how presales are going in the US and UK.

So far none of the HBO Max day one theatrical releases have done more than 32 million for their opening weekend.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Dune is so far tracking in the 35-45 million dollar range for the US opening, which would put it comfortably ahead of stuff like Godzilla vs Kong, The Suicide Squad, The Conjuring 3, Mortal Kombat, Space Jam 2, or any of the other day one HBO Max releases.

Godzilla vs Kong opened to 32.2 million in the US, finished with about 100 million domestically and 467 million worldwide.

So it looks like Dune has passed all the tests. Good critical response, good fan word of mouth, good box office results. Now the only question is whether it is a big hit in China. That could be the difference between them greenlighting just Dune: Part 2 or greenlighting both Part 2 and Messiah at the same time..

But at this point I am 100% confident there will be a part 2 at least.
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

famicommander wrote:Dune is so far tracking in the 35-45 million dollar range for the US opening, which would put it comfortably ahead of stuff like Godzilla vs Kong, The Suicide Squad, The Conjuring 3, Mortal Kombat, Space Jam 2, or any of the other day one HBO Max releases.
I don't know anything about Godzilla vs Kong (haven't seen it and never will), but The Suicide Squad and Mortal Kombat were both not very good movies, so that's not a particularly high bar to set.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

georgiedenbro wrote:
famicommander wrote:Dune is so far tracking in the 35-45 million dollar range for the US opening, which would put it comfortably ahead of stuff like Godzilla vs Kong, The Suicide Squad, The Conjuring 3, Mortal Kombat, Space Jam 2, or any of the other day one HBO Max releases.
I don't know anything about Godzilla vs Kong (haven't seen it and never will), but The Suicide Squad and Mortal Kombat were both not very good movies, so that's not a particularly high bar to set.
Quality often has nothing to do with popularity. For example, Fast 9 is the biggest movie of the last two years right now. Avatar is the biggest movie ever and it's literally a hacked up Pocahontas with big blue kitties and weird sex stuff.

The point is Godzilla vs Kong and Mortal Kombat both did well enough to have multiple sequels in the works and Dune is outperforming both. Godzilla vs Kong is the most relevant comparison for a lot of reasons:
1. It has the exact same budget as Dune (165 million)
2. It's a Warner Bros and Legendary co-production like Dune
3. It released day one on HBO Max like Dune will in the US
4. It's the most successful box office film for WB since the pandemic, and also the most popular HBO streaming movie

If Dune outperforms Godzilla vs Kong it will be considered a smash hit, and so far it is outperforming GvK in most markets and quite significantly at that.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Here's a comparison to all the top US domestic box offices in the pandemic era:
$200.1M - ShangChi (still playing)
$183.6M - Black Widow
$173.0M - F9
$160.1M - A Quiet Place 2
$115.4M - Jungle Cruise
$115.3M - Free Guy (still playing but nearing the end of its run; won't pass Quiet Place)
$100.6M - Godzilla vs Kong (the only film on the list to have a day 1 streaming release for no extra charge like Dune will; Black Widow was on Disney+ but it was like 30 bucks on top of your subscription)

Venom 2 and the new Bond will soon join this list but it seems like Dune will too since it's tracking ahead of Godzilla vs Kong so far.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Blasphemer, I hope you smoke a turd in HELL
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I liked 'Zilla vs Kong, Btw...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Freakzilla wrote:I liked 'Zilla vs Kong, Btw...
It was good dumb fun. Human characters and plots were ultimately pretty pointless, though. Still a lot better than what we got in Godzilla: King of the Monsters on that front.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Have you seen it?
~Pink Snowman
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Freakzilla wrote:Have you seen it?
Of course, why would I have an opinion about a movie I hadn't seen?

You might be confusing some posts between myself and georgiedenbro.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Dune has cracked 100 million at the international box office after 2-3 weeks in 32 markets.

There had been some limited presales but tickets go on sale for the general US public tomorrow morning.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

As far as US presales, Dune seems to be doing absurdly high numbers in premium formats (Imax, Dolby Cinema, RDX, 3D, etc) and mediocre numbers elsewhere.

Could indicate that the people who are willing to spend money to see it at the theater are willing to spend a lot to do so, while the general public may just watch it on HBO.

The absolute numbers still look very good, though. A 50 million dollar opening weekend is possible, and that would be about 20 million dollars higher than the most successful day one HBO release so far.

The movie is also doing ridiculous numbers in Canada, which isn't terribly surprising because they don't get the HBO Max release there and the director is Canadian.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Amazon best selling fiction this week:
1. Apples Never Fall (released last month)
2. The Wish (new release)
3. Cloud Cuckoo Land (new release)
4. Dune

Amazon most-read fiction this week:
1. Apples Never Fall
2. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
3. Dune

So far I haven't seen any of the other classic Dune novels chart, nor the brand new release from the goofball twins.

But there's no question the film has increased interest in the original novel to the highest point in my lifetime.
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

I was just reading the post on the Herbertarian FB page, with one comment mentioning Rutger Hauer denouncing Blade Runner 2049. I agreed entirely with his description of it; lacking any soul or spirit, having nothing of its own to say, and just being a pretty but pointless fan tribute to Blade Runner. I found the film incredibly boring and almost vapid. Villeneuve himself apparently said it's lucky they are still allowing him to make movies after that debacle, since it not only flopped but he failed to make it succeed even artistically.

There is just no way I can get excited about another sci-fi project coming from this guy. If he surprises me pleasantly, then great. But otherwise the potential for commercial success isn't that much of a big deal to me. If lots of people read Dune that would indeed be the only saving grace if the film is blah.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Blade Runner 2049 is a masterpiece and it received near universal acclaim. It's fine if Hauer didn't like it but nearly everyone else did.

88% on Rotten Tomatoes, 8.2/10 average score, 81% audience rating, 81% from top critics
81 on Metacritic, 8.4/10 audience rating
87/100 average on Broadcast Film and Critics Association
A- audience grade on Cinemascore
8.0/10 average score on IMDB
Nominated for 5 Oscars, won 2

I think it has just as much to say as the original, particularly after Ridley Scott chopped up the original message of the film by making Deckard a replicant even though the story is much stronger if he's a human and he's a human in the original Dick story.
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

famicommander wrote:Blade Runner 2049 is a masterpiece and it received near universal acclaim. It's fine if Hauer didn't like it but nearly everyone else did.
I'm starting to think you work for the marketing department of the film release...
I think it has just as much to say as the original, particularly after Ridley Scott chopped up the original message of the film by making Deckard a replicant even though the story is much stronger if he's a human and he's a human in the original Dick story.
The production team was apparently divided about whether to interpret Deckard as being human or not. But I think one of the points of the story is that it may not matter. The question is asks is what is it to be human - is it hardware, or is it the human experience. If it's the human experience then there appears to be no reason to discriminate against replicants due to their hardware, since they apparently have a vivid human experience (perhaps Hauer's self-scripted monologue helps us see this). If it's hardware, then we end up destroying and controlling a bunch of beings who have more of an actual human experience than many humans probably do; a curious path to go down when seen that way. The book isn't really about any of this stuff, so as I see it Blade Runner is its own separate story.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

georgiedenbro wrote:
famicommander wrote:Blade Runner 2049 is a masterpiece and it received near universal acclaim. It's fine if Hauer didn't like it but nearly everyone else did.
I'm starting to think you work for the marketing department of the film release...
The production team was apparently divided about whether to interpret Deckard as being human or not. But I think one of the points of the story is that it may not matter. The question is asks is what is it to be human - is it hardware, or is it the human experience. If it's the human experience then there appears to be no reason to discriminate against replicants due to their hardware, since they apparently have a vivid human experience (perhaps Hauer's self-scripted monologue helps us see this). If it's hardware, then we end up destroying and controlling a bunch of beings who have more of an actual human experience than many humans probably do; a curious path to go down when seen that way. The book isn't really about any of this stuff, so as I see it Blade Runner is its own separate story.
The love story in the original is much stronger if Deckard isn't a replicant. We are already shown humans loving humans and replicants loving replicants in the film, so a replicant falling in love with another replicant isn't really progress. If Deckard is a human who questions whether he's a replicant, then what it means to be human, then decides to run off with the replicant at the end despite being human himself, that shows growth on Deckard's part.

Not to mention, if he's a replicant the plot doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. We are shown other characters talking to Deckard about shared experiences from years prior, indicating that if Deckard is a replicant he must be at least a few years old. But we're also told he has passed the test himself, so he must be more advanced than Rachel, who doesn't pass the test but is supposed to be a newer model.

And then they send him to chase Roy and the older replicants, and yet Roy whoops his ass and the only reason Deckard lives is because Roy's preset lifespan happens to run out during the fight.

Think about it -- if Deckard is a replicant, and a newer one than Roy and company, why would he be physically inferior? And if he's physically inferior, why would they send an inferior artificial life form to kill one they knew was stronger? You might say they made Deckard weaker so that he wouldn't suspect himself as being a replicant, but at that point, why would you even need to send a replicant with basically human abilities rather than just sending a human?

They sent an artificial lifeform to accomplish a task that would've been impossible for him to complete if not for the coincidental timing of Roy's lifespan running out? Why would you create a lifeform for the explicit purpose of hunting replicants and then make him unable to even beat an older, inferior model?

I think Ridley Scott overthought it by making Deckard a replicant. The story is stronger if it makes the audience and the character himself question his humanity, but ultimately discover him to be human. It makes all the choices of the other characters in the movie make a lot more sense and it makes the love story a lot stronger.