New to the forum

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Tom Servo

New to the forum

Post by Tom Servo »

Hello everybody. I decided to join as I'm currently reading through all the Dune books though I've been a pretty casual (at best) fan over the years. I first read Dune about 20 years ago, when I was 20, because I saw the book and vaguely remembered seeing the David Lynch movie when I was 5 and thinking the worms were cool. Plus the book was covered with blurbs and various things telling me I pretty much had to read this if I considered myself a sci fi fan... which I did. I enjoyed it and not long after that the mini series came out which I thought was okay. But I never watched Children Of Dune until recently when I was reading all the books, I think after reading Dune and watching the mini-series I'd had my fill of Dune for the time being and my young attention span moved on to other things.

Sometime in my 30s as I started reading a lot more I started to plan to read the Dune series at some point but as it was getting pretty large by then I was reluctant to jump in, figured it would nice to hold in reserve for when I'm laid up with a future hip replacement or light prison sentence. Then when I found out there was a new movie coming and even though I'm not crazy excited about it I figured I'd probably wind up seeing it and it might be good to re-read the book after 20 years. So then I was just like screw it I'll go ahead and read that series. That was a while back, by now I'm getting close to the end. I've read Frank's original series, Hunters/Sandworms, Prelude To Dune, Legends Of Dune, Paul Of Dune and now I've started Schools Of Dune and will wrap up with Winds Of Dune shortly before The Duke Of Caladan comes out. I also read Road To Dune and all the other short stories Brian and Kevin wrote except for one which I have to wait until I get to the appropriate spot in the Schools trilogy. Also for laughs I read an old paperback I found called The Making Of Dune about David Lynch's film. I also checked out some other stuff by Frank such as The Dragon In The Sea, The Heaven Makers and several short story collections such as Eye and The Worlds Of Frank Herbert. Obviously I'm enjoying it or I wouldn't be grinding through all this stuff, there are things I like and don't like about both Dune and Expanded Dune but it's been extremely entertaining.
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: New to the forum

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home!

Just a short notification: you will not find much love for anything Keith and Bobo have published. If you like to know why i can recommend this topic especially: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1538

Or basically any topic in this part of the board: viewforum.php?f=13
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Tom Servo

Post by Tom Servo »

It's okay, I didn't really expect to (nor did I come here to defend them) I knew some Dune fans before I jumped into the whole series and knew the way many fans looked at the Expanded Dune books. I mainly just started reading them out of curiosity and it was a combination of the completionist in me and the fact they tie those books together so much that I wound up deciding to read them all. I've read lots of trashy sci-fi over the years plus I came into this not being a longtime/hardcore Frank Herbert fan so they don't bother me as much as they probably do a lot of people. I enjoy them almost as if they were an 80s Saturday Morning Cartoon version of Dune, which it certainly feels like at times. Crappy and often forgettable but sometimes kinda fun.
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Hello and welcome!

When reading the fanfic Dune books just remember that it can get tough to keep the content separate in your head, because much of what's in the K&B books is contradictory to what's in Frank's original six. But I think it's a great idea to keep on going with FH's other books, I mean to keep doing that myself as I've only read a few of them.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

:text-welcomeconfetti: :text-welcomeconfetti:

Check out the reading group viewforum.php?f=31

Your water now belongs to the tribe
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
DuckAtreides

Post by DuckAtreides »

Welcome. Your experience with Dune's rather different to mine - I started reading The Children of Dune because the library at the secondary school I was then attending (or at least, only in the flesh) had it out on loan just when I came in looking for it ... :) It's a bad habit I have, of starting reading series somewhere in the middle ... :)
Tom Servo

Post by Tom Servo »

Freakzilla wrote::text-welcomeconfetti: :text-welcomeconfetti:

I thank you for the link and the welcome but I don't thank you for the fact that your signature made me curious enough to Google "prolapsed anus". :shock:
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Tom Servo wrote:
Freakzilla wrote::text-welcomeconfetti: :text-welcomeconfetti:

I thank you for the link and the welcome but I don't thank you for the fact that your signature made me curious enough to Google "prolapsed anus". :shock:
Which can never be unseen.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Sand rasped as he opened the sphincter and a burred fizzle of grains ran
into the tent before he could immobilize it with a static compaction tool.

~Dune

:wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
distrans

Post by distrans »

in the future mabe go slow
look up the adjective first before adding anus to anything...
Tom Servo

Post by Tom Servo »

:lol: I actually did just that but I wasn't sure how it related to the anus. I didn't know they could do that.
Tom Servo

Post by Tom Servo »

Just an update, I totally quit on Expanded Dune with only a couple books left to go. It was the Schools Of Dune trilogy that ended up being too much for me. The first book was amazingly bad and the second book was so horrific I quit halfway through. That gives it the distinction of being the only book I've ever given up on and left unfinished. I might have been able to power through if not for the fact that I've been reading Dune for like 8 months now and I would probably be burned out even if this were decent but I just have no patience it right now. Reading is my favorite hobby and it was just turning it into a chore that I dreaded. I had to quit before they ruined reading for me.
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

I'm amazed you got that far. The House Trilogy reads like ok fan fiction, readable but not very good. I got through it ok. It was the Machine trilogy that had me going wtf? on a regular basis from the first book. I made myself finish it on principle, but that was the end for me. No way I could bring myself to read any others after that fiasco.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

georgiedenbro wrote: It was the Machine trilogy that had me going wtf? on a regular basis from the first book. I made myself finish it on principle, but that was the end for me. No way I could bring myself to read any others after that fiasco.
it was the same for me. There were times I, literally, wanted to throw those atrocities through the room. At hindsight I wonder how I managed to finish them at all. After this horrible experience I didn't touch any of the other Keith and Bobo trash.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
Tom Servo

Post by Tom Servo »

georgiedenbro wrote:I'm amazed you got that far. The House Trilogy reads like ok fan fiction, readable but not very good. I got through it ok. It was the Machine trilogy that had me going wtf? on a regular basis from the first book. I made myself finish it on principle, but that was the end for me. No way I could bring myself to read any others after that fiasco.
I didn't mind the Machine trilogy so much, I was already getting burned out by that point (it was the trilogy I read right before I started this one that I abandoned) and I think the fact that it was just so different and stupid made it somewhat easier to get through. It didn't feel like they were taking things serious by that point so I wasn't either so I was able to get through it and sometimes find myself enjoying it a little. Though most of the time I had to remind myself I was reading a Dune novel and not just some generic sci-fi franchise. I hated the ending but most of the time it was so silly it was at least unintentionally entertaining but the Schools trilogy was just no fun at all. Even when I was able to just put Frank out of my mind and try to enjoy these novels for what they were I just hated EVERYBODY in these books. The only thing I got out of them was that they made me wish the robots had won in the previous trilogy.

Anyway I'm glad to have moved on and I look forward to re-reading Frank's series again sometime in the future but glad to be done for now. I have a few of his other novels I plan to get into soon. The completionist in me wanted to finish them all just because I was so close but I didn't actually plan to read them all when I started. I was just going to read Frank's books then maybe pick or choose a few of the Expanded Dune books that looked interesting but it's not like the Star Wars EU where you can usually just grab a random book so I ended up in this web of having to read several books just to read the one that sounded interesting but then that one led to other books and so on. Which led to reading most of them by the time I realized what was going on. But when it got to the point that I just dreaded reading I realized it was time to cut bait and stop turning my hobby into a miserable chore just so I can complete a series that seems like it is going to go on forever anyway.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I made it halfway through Hunters of Dune where it was revealed that Marty & Daniel were transexual homicidal robots. That was all I could take.
~Pink Snowman