Dune 2020 trailer is here

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

machinor

Dune 2020 trailer is here

Post by machinor »

The first official Trailer is here...

Well, although I comitted not to... I'm a bit hyped now.

Casting looks stellar and the Dark Side of the Moon Cover is a nice touch.
Could do without the bulky, plastic looking armour but the ultralong fine sandworm teeth are a great touch.
"Oh, the devil will find work for idle hands to do."
Naib

Re: Dune 2020 trailer is here

Post by Naib »

It looks good, but I have my doubts. Firstly, why is Chani calling him Paul in his dream? Second, my suspicions about Momoa seem to be correct. He's a dreadful choice and is hamming up badly. Thirdly, where are the hats? Lastly, I didn't know Mattel made stilsuits.
weerab

Post by weerab »

I have the same reservations about Mamoa. Idaho is such an important character. As for everything else I will wait and see.
Cpt. Aramsham

Post by Cpt. Aramsham »

Naib wrote:Firstly, why is Chani calling him Paul in his dream?
I mean, one of two reasons:

1. They've streamlined it in the movie because Paul Atreides, Muad'Dib, Kwisatz Haderach, Lisan al-Gaib, Mahdi, and Usul is too many names for the same character.
2. It's a trailer, and they wanted to communicate "Paul=main character"
machinor

Post by machinor »

I must say, I like Momoa as Duncan. He really conveys the charismatic "one of the boys" attitude which is why everyone wants to be friends with him.
Naib

Post by Naib »

The problem with the role of Idaho is they should have chosen someone who can act, not someone who can act like they're acting.
Last edited by Naib on 13 Sep 2020 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
Naib

Post by Naib »

Side-by-side comparisons of Villeneuve's and Lynch's Dune. Quite the contrast.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/CcZPZGq3Zy8[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/CcZPZGq3Zy8
Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

Naib wrote:The problem with the role of Idaho is they should have chosen someone who can act, not someone who can act like their acting.
I wouldn't have a problem with it if it were just for this movie (or 2 movies they are doing) for the one book because I don't recall Idaho having much importance or many scenes in the Dune novel (but its been many years since I last read it) But if they do more of Frank's books where Idaho becomes more important then I'm not sold on him being a good enough actor to pull it off.
The name Atreides was also consciously chosen. It is the family name of Agamemnon. Says Herbert, "I wanted a sense of monumental aristocracy, but with tragedy hanging over them--and in our culture, Agamemnon personifies that."
Frank Herbert by Tim O'Reilly
http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/

Ghanima said. "We Atreides go back to Agamemnon..."
Distracted, Irulan asked: "Who's Agamemnon?"

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

WTF? A BG forgets the Titans?! :)
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Sardaukar Capt wrote:
Naib wrote:The problem with the role of Idaho is they should have chosen someone who can act, not someone who can act like their acting.
I wouldn't have a problem with it if it were just for this movie (or 2 movies they are doing) for the one book because I don't recall Idaho having much importance or many scenes in the Dune novel (but its been many years since I last read it) But if they do more of Frank's books where Idaho becomes more important then I'm not sold on him being a good enough actor to pull it off.
He gets drunk and calls Jessica a Harkonnen spy, then dies helping her and Paul escape the Harkonnen attack.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I love it, but I don't like that they highlighted the ONE time "crusade" is mentioned in the body of the text, when every other time it's "jihad". :x
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Freakzilla wrote:I love it, but I don't like that they highlighted the ONE time "crusade" is mentioned in the body of the text, when every other time it's "jihad". :x

In the clip they also use "crusade" when It should be jihad. I think they are afraid to use it.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

I've always wondered why Duncan apparently became such a fan favorite that FH brought him back for Messiah, and then the later books (that was supposedly the reason, correct?)

His role in the original novel always surprises me with each reread how minor it is...you'd think Gurney or someone else would be the more natural "fan-favorite", especially from the original. Would be interesting to see what kind of fan mail FH got regarding Idaho post-1965, pre-1969.

Anyways, the trailer looks great, at the very least we'll have some really solid visuals. Motivated me to do my first reread of the original six in like five years! And to dust off this account...
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

I guess we'll soon see if this is a paint by numbers reproduction of Dune, or whether this film will really say something. I worry that it'll just be a reboot rather than a fresh film adaptation. I'm in the middle of Villeneuve's Blade Runner 2049 right now so the jury is out on whether I'm psyched for his take on Dune.

Regarding Duncan, one thing to bear in mind is that "fun energetic guy" is not the best descriptor of him, since in fact he rarely occupies anything like that role in any scene in the series. More often he's "pent up with frustration" guy or "morally outraged" guy. And if they do make a sequel in the form of Messiah, I certainly can't imagine how Momoa could ever play Hayt.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Serkanner wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I love it, but I don't like that they highlighted the ONE time "crusade" is mentioned in the body of the text, when every other time it's "jihad". :x

In the clip they also use "crusade" when It should be jihad. I think they are afraid to use it.
I didn't notice that, can you elaborate?
Sandwurm88 wrote:I've always wondered why Duncan apparently became such a fan favorite that FH brought him back for Messiah, and then the later books (that was supposedly the reason, correct?)

His role in the original novel always surprises me with each reread how minor it is...you'd think Gurney or someone else would be the more natural "fan-favorite", especially from the original. Would be interesting to see what kind of fan mail FH got regarding Idaho post-1965, pre-1969.
Agreed, I liked Hayt though. The other two Duncan gholas we get to know are assholes, imo.
~Pink Snowman
Naib

Post by Naib »

Freakzilla wrote:
Serkanner wrote:

Sandwurm88 wrote:I've always wondered why Duncan apparently became such a fan favorite that FH brought him back for Messiah, and then the later books (that was supposedly the reason, correct?)

Agreed, I liked Hayt though. The other two Duncan gholas we get to know are assholes, imo.
I think I liked Hayt best while he was unfettered by the Duncan memories.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Freakzilla wrote:
Serkanner wrote:

At 19 - 20 secs into the trailer Paul says: "There is a crusade coming." He would never have used the world crusade while in his visions he saw a Jihad.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Serkanner wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Serkanner wrote:

At 19 - 20 secs into the trailer Paul says: "There is a crusade coming." He would never have used the world crusade while in his visions he saw a Jihad.
"You're so quiet," Chani said.
He held himself poised in the awareness, seeing time stretch out in its weird dimension,
delicately balanced yet whirling, narrow yet spread like a net gathering countless worlds and
forces, a tightwire that he must walk, yet a teeter-totter on which he balanced.
On one side he could see the Imperium, a Harkonnen called Feyd-Rautha who flashed toward him
like a deadly blade, the Sardaukar raging off their planet to spread pogrom on Arrakis, the Guild
conniving and plotting, the Bene Gesserit with their scheme of selective breeding. They lay massed
like a thunderhead on his horizon, held back by no more than the Fremen and their Muad'Dib, the
sleeping giant Fremen poised for their wild crusade across the universe.
Paul felt himself at the center, at the pivot where the whole structure turned, walking a thin
wire of peace with a measure of happiness, Chani at his side. He could see it stretching ahead of
him, a time of relative quiet in a hidden sietch, a moment of peace between periods of violence.
"There's no other place for peace," he said.
"Usul, you're crying," Chani murmured. "Usul, my strength, do you give moisture to the dead?
To whose dead?"
"To ones not yet dead," he said.

NOWHERE is the word "crusade" spoken in the book, except internally in Paul's vision above. The only other places the word is used in the book is to define jihad in the index.

:Adolf:
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Last chapter of Book II BTW :cylon101:
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

FOR REFERENCE

JIHAD: a religious crusade; fanatical crusade.
JIHAD, BUTLERIAN: (see also Great Revolt) -- the crusade against computers, thinking machines, and
conscious robots begun in 201 B.G. and concluded in 108 B.G. Its chief commandment remains in the
O.C. Bible as "Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind."
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

"Jihad" however, is mentioned and spoken 30 times. :beat dead horse:
~Pink Snowman
machinor

Post by machinor »

Noticed that too. I sincerely hope that it's a ruse and then there will be gasps in the audience when cute little Timothy Charlement calls out his JIHAD on screen. Boy, will I enjoy that.
Tom Servo

Post by Tom Servo »

I'm going to see it but I'm not insanely psyched about it at the moment. I too wonder about Momoa but he's not one of my bigger concerns. The first I heard of his casting was when he was giving some interview calling Duncan Idaho the Han Solo of Dune. In fact almost every interview/quote I've seen during production from the cast/crew they are usually trying to invoke the name of Star Wars to raise interest I guess. I love Star Wars but I don't want Dune to be more Star Wars. And maybe that's not what they're going for and are just trying to market to that fanbase. Back to what Momoa said though, maybe I'm missing something but I don't see any similarity beyond both being characters in sci-fi franchises. I don't know what kind of actor he is since the only thing I've ever seen him in is Drunk History which means all of his lines were recited by a drunk person. He was funny though so I'm willing to give him a shot as long as he doesn't try to sneak in a "I have a bad feeling about this".

I'm not fond of a lot of the casting really, a lot are people I like but don't feel are the right fit for the role. The kid playing Paul looks alright I guess, the only thing I've ever seen him in is the Dune trailer and he looks like he'll be fine. If I don't like it I doubt it will be because of him and I can't think of anybody better to cast. Probably couldn't name another actor in the correct age range to play him.
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

I did finally finish Blade Runner 2049, and my comment on it (and my expectation of Villeneuve) is this: he seems to be able to create technically well put-together scenes, often with decent design work, but BR2049 was too much of a paint-by-numbers retread of Scott's BR in terms of just re-creating the visual schemes and the grimy texture. Nothing in it has what I would call any auteurship, and considering that BR was innovative and even wild in its approach to the synth/human issue (which IMO had nothing to do with the book), its visual look, its themes, copying what BR did for its sequel is sort of missing the point. And that's all it feels like - a sequel, and one no less that only adds on a tag following up the import of the ideas in the first film without really having anything unique to say for itself. Villeneuve's commentary on that world amounts to little more than "ditto". That he could even achieve a ditto, technically speaking, is still ok, but not good enough to follow up a classic and be anything more than a well-wrought afterthought. The actors in it were decent, but he went so far in the direction of the human/robot ambiguity that everyone's speech was stilted all the time and no room was left for what I would call good spontaneous acting. The whole thing was too controlled and rigid to feel alive, and instead the whole film feels more like a still-life than a portrait.

I hope all of that was dedicated choices for BR2049 alone, because it Villeneuve turns out to be one of these technical guys who makes all the actors fit into his technical schema then Dune is going to be pretty bland. Currently my expectation level is that we're going to get a well-put-together retread of what we've already seen, with nothing special to say and with no real drive to it.
Last edited by georgiedenbro on 02 Oct 2020 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Root2702

Post by Root2702 »

Serkanner wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Serkanner wrote:

While jihad (literally, striving or struggling) has meant war or revolt in the defense of Islam for centuries, very few American science fiction fans were familiar with it when Frank Herbert used it in the early 1960s. It was just another one of the Arabic terms he repeated throughout the book. With the advent of both Shia and Sunni fundamentalist terrorism, the word was familiar to the wider, western public.
But if Herbert had written Dune in the 1980s, he probably would have still used jihad to describe Paul's nightmare scenario of zensunni warriors killing billions of people in his name. That's because he could expend 188,000 words to explain himself. He was word-fat.
Those vat-grown trailer editors at Legendary Pictures, however, were not word-fat. They had to weigh each word, assessing its water-debt. They knew that including jihad in the trailer, without context, would have wasted water, decreasing the film's adjusted gross, so they set the word aside.

...Or maybe it was the Tyrant who replaced jihad with crusade, after the execution of the nine historians.
Lawrence of Arabia Wadi Ram Howitat camp fremen.jpg
What Happens in the Hut of Baba Yaga, Stays in the Hut of Baba Yaga.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

"Unbelievers!" Korba protested. "Unbelievers all!"
~DM
~Pink Snowman