Oh no, not again.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Naib

Oh no, not again.

Post by Naib »

It looks as if the bumble twins are at it again. A new prequel trilogy is set to begin in October.

Dune: The Duke of Caladan

"A brand new novel in the internationally bestselling Dune series!

Duke Leto Atreides is a name of legend. Duke of Caladan and father to Paul, this is the story of how Leto discoverd a grand plot to betray the Imperium, and how he rose to prominence in the eyes of the Emperor. Surrounded by conspirators and would-be assassins, Leto Atreides will put his life, and the lives of his family, on the line for the sake of duty.

This is the first book in a brand new prequel trilogy that pulls the curtain back on a iconic world."
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: Oh no, not again.

Post by Serkanner »

Jesus wept.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Only a clown would write a book about a Great House's "duty" to the throne, considering the fact that the whole point of the Landsraad is to oppose the power of the Emperor and keep him in check. I expect that, formally and socially speaking, the manners would be to bow to the Emperor and treat him like the boss, but functionally it doesn't make much sense to me that a Great House would put itself on the line for the Emperor, unless maybe they were very close in terms of friendship or something.

Even putting that point aside, what's the use of writing a book about Leto being more favorable to the Emperor when we already know the Emperor set out to destroy him and his house?

Sigh.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Naib

Post by Naib »

This is purely a cash grab aimed at the novice Dune reader timed to come out so that people who plan to see the film will be duped into buying this muck.

They might as well have written, Dune: Useless Details No One Wants to Know.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Can we start making Amazon comments yet?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Naib

Post by Naib »

Can't do it on Amazon yet, but you can on goodreads. :twisted:
Naib

Post by Naib »

Let me explain the order of things. There's the aristocracy, the upper class, the middle class, working class, dumb animals, waiters, creeping things, head lice, people who eat packet soup, then Brian Herbert.
Tom Servo

Post by Tom Servo »

I love this part of the synopsis: While all know of his fall and the rise of his son, little is known about the quiet ruler of Caladan.

Thanks to their books I know way more than I want/need to know about the guy. After the Prelude To Dune trilogy, the flashback parts of Paul Of Dune and now this he ranks pretty high on the most thoroughly explored characters in the franchise. It's not a very interesting choice and pretty well explored characters/era but I'm guessing they wanted something that tied closely to the film to capitalize on the hype.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I just came across this on Amazon a few days ago. Couldn't believe they are at it again, but as Naib pointed out, an obvious cash grab to capitalise on the movie hype. It sounds like nothing more than a rushed and desperate reboot of the House series. Guess they are running out of "new" ideas. I am fairly confident that this Caladan Trilogy will tank. We can only hope that with Villeneuve at the helm we will see a screen version of Dune that is respectful to the original and should be a visual treat for sure. I very much enjoyed Arrival and thought Blade Runner 2049 was stunning.

When sci-fi / fantasy classics are turned into movies it does of course attract the semi-literate YA crowd, which is clearly Anderson's target audience, but their interest is often transient, quickly moving onto the next fad. On the other hand, the new movie might just introduce some new discerning fans who can appreciate Frank Herbert's works. While I despair every time the hacks pen some new garbage, the popularity of their works (within a particular demographic) is transient in nature. Here we are reading and appreciating Dune some 55 years later. I'm sure BH / KJA are busy right now stroking their egos, in anticipation of fame and glory on the coat tails of the movie but I suspect it is Frank that is about to have a whole lot of new fans ;)
Naib

Post by Naib »

Anderson's target audience are mud dwelling lower order primates with a proclivity for eating their own excrement.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

They certainly lap up Anderson's literary excrement.