I was a friend of Omphalos

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Sadly I have to claim more water for the tribe, this time my co-founder.

His brother tells me that Omphalos died of a sudden heart attack and did not suffer.

I only know him from the online Dune community and later on FB. I don't remember how far back our relationship goes but we became pretty good friends on the Dune Novels forum. He of course was a big critic of the new books and once we were finally banned and there weren't any other good dune forums, it was his suggestion that we get our own server (maintained by his brother, Ragabash) and start our own forum... now here we are.

He was a husband, father, and attorney. He will be missed.

:cry:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: I was a friend of Omphalos

Post by Serkanner »

Oh my god. I am shocked. :cry: ...when I think Dune and Jacurutu I think about Freak and Omph.

I was a friend of Omphalos. He taught me That it is better to speak out than to hold your tongue.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
lotek

Post by lotek »

I was a friend of Omphalos, he taught me that knowledge is nothing without family. Jacurutu was my home for so long I never thought we could lose one of its pillars.

In the words of Frank,
There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I was a friend of Omphalos, he was truly an usul of our tribe.

My God, this is quite a shock. Felt like he's been, and would be, around forever. If Ragabash is reading these messages I hope he can receive our condolences and also convey them to Omph's family.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

It's a shock to me to. I don't think my brain has processed it yet.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
ragabash
The Benefactor

Post by ragabash »

I am reading them, and I thank you for them. All of your words and support are so kind, and I will pass them on to his wife and children. We've been so busy with arrangements, as you can imagine, but I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you.
GLaDOS wrote: This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

I shed water for Omph. :cry:
It is so hard to believe this is real. He will be greatly missed.
:-(
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
xcalibur

Post by xcalibur »

I was a friend of Omphalos. he taught me that there's always another way of looking at things.

he was really part of the fabric of this community, a pillar who helped make this site what it is.

death can be strange, surreal, and unexpected. RIP
Fremen : Museum Fremen :: Frank : Brian & Kevin
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

I was a friend of Omphalos.

He sent me a bunch of sci-fi criticism books with no invitation, just because he thought I'd like them. He also called out stupidity with no remorse, a trait that keeps discussion honest.

I was shocked when I heard about it on Facebook. I had to re-read to make sure I was understanding it correctly.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I was a friend of Omphalos...

I'm having a had time thinking about what to say. We discussed so many things over the last 20 years it's hard to sum it all up in a post. I was lucky enough to meet him and his family and spend some time showing him an area near where I live that means so much to me. It was amazing just how seamlessly the transition to real life went. When I got booted from Facebook I still maintained contact with him on my work account. We'd even talked about finding a way to meet up in his area this summer. I'm sorry that won't get to happen. My heart breaks for his wife, children and Ragabash.

I'm taking the resources he shared with me and will make sure that some of his interests live on in the classes I teach that are now better because of his contributions.

Damn it Greg. I'll miss you.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Damn, this is such sad news. He contributed so much here, and seemed like a really great guy. Condolences to his family and friends here.

I haven't been here much lately, but I came back to shed water this day for Omph. He will be missed.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
ionah

Post by ionah »

it is a sudden and saddening news.
He was one of the prime OH online, he was a bro, a husband & a father IRL and he will be strongly missed.
I'll keep him in memories as someone being kind and open-minded.
My sincerest condolences to his family and to his friends.
trang

Post by trang »

I was a friend of Omphalos, he taught me to be a good critic takes practice.

I am so sorry to hear he has passed. I hope all the best for his family. He was
an intelligent friendly guy. I only knew him from jacurutu but that was enough.

Travel well on the next level Omph, you are immortal in all our memory.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Such terrible sad news.

I was a friend of Omph.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I can't think of what to say, I can't even believe it. I'm so sad for all of Omph's family and friends.

Love you guys.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Mandy wrote:I was a friend of Omphalos

I can't think of what to say, I can't even believe it. I'm so sad for all of Omph's family and friends.

Love you guys.

MISSED YOU!
~Pink Snowman
Anudar

Post by Anudar »

I didn't know him very well, but he was always friendly and I really enjoyed chatting with him on Facebook. I will always remember how and why he advised me to listen to Frank Zappa's "Hot Rats" album.

I will miss him. I would like to express my most sincere condolences to his family and to his friends.
Bi-lal kaïfa !
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

I was a friend of Omphalos. He was a big presence, caring, open, generous. He shared his life with many of us and was a mentor and a friend. I am still in shock and I am kicking myself for never trying harder to meet him despite him being four hours south of me. I shed water in his honor.

Rob
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

His obituary:

https://www.gormleyandsons.com/obituary ... Agcy3ePkf0
Gregory Trenholm Tidwell
September 26, 1968 - April 22, 2019
Gregory Trenholm Tidwell was born on September 26, 1968 in Washington, D.C. and passed away suddenly on April 22, 2019 at the age of 50 years in Sacramento, CA. Greg was a graduate of Flint Hill School in Oakton, VA in 1986 and George Mason University in Fairfax, VA in 1995 with BA in Communications and minor in Conflict Resolution. He went on to earn his JD from McGeorge School of Law in 1999 and was admitted to the bar in 2000. Throughout his college years he was employed in Washington DC and Northern Virginia both in the private sector and the federal government. After graduating from law school, he was in private practice. For the past 14 years, he was Corporate Claims Counsel at Progressive Insurance Corporation where he was responsible for claims arising in CA, WA, OR, NV, ID, MT, AK, and HI. Greg reviewed science fiction books online and was an avid rock hound, a musician, loved collecting antiques, and traveling. He is survived by his wife, Sylvia; children Nicholas and Bianca; his parents, Moody R. Tidwell III and Serena Cox Tidwell; and brother, Jeremy Tidwell (Terri Emery). Greg will also be forever remembered by his extended family and dear friends. A Celebration of Life will be held on Thursday, May 2, at 3:00 p.m. at the W.F. Gormley & Sons Funeral Chapel, 2015 Capitol Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95811.
~Pink Snowman
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Freakzilla wrote:
Mandy wrote:I was a friend of Omphalos

Love you guys.

MISSED YOU!
I've missed you too.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I was a friend of Omphalos.

When I was lost and wandering in a dark and lonely place a few years back, Omphalos called out to me and tried to guide me home.

For myself I take away that image of him seated upon a throne, straining to bring forth something on a par with the Drunkard and the Hack (Who remembers, remember!), may their knives chip and shatter!

YA HYA CHOUHADA!

Never to forgive, never to forget...
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
lotek

Post by lotek »

Chig'!
Such a sad time to be happy to hear from you :(
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote: For myself I take away that image of him seated upon a throne, straining to bring forth something on a par with the Drunkard and the Hack (Who remembers, remember!)
I'll never forget, it's burned into my retina :lol:
~Pink Snowman
Smiley

Post by Smiley »

Thought I would check out the old boards and now I am saddened to hear of this. My condolences.
WolfgangMercury

Post by WolfgangMercury »

Wow, first Joseph Vintimille last year and now Omphalos....It's so weird. I didn't know either of them well, but they were huge pillars of the Orthodox Herbertarian community and it's hard to imagine them not being here.
"We've lost that clear, single-note of living. If it cannot be bottled, beaten, pointed or hoarded, we give it no value."

Emperor Muad'dib, Dune Messiah