Hello Outcasts

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

the rev

Hello Outcasts

Post by the rev »

But you're not really outcasts anymore are you? I think they stopped publishing those terrible books, the two idiots have passed into senility, at least a deeper senility, and no one made a miniseries or adaptation of any sort about any of the KJ/BJ atrocities which I believe was KJ's ultimate fantasy. I fear in the new film they might screw up and slip a Lynch/nudune reference by accident which would vindicate all the years of hard walking Anderson put in. Other then that type of stuff, I think you're Jihad was a success.

I've been aware of this website a bit, lurked around when I was re-reading my collection of Herbert books. I tried to register much earlier but something in the works slipped and I finished the books and moved on to other stuff. I read the Dune books when I was a teenager and got through most of his other books by my early 20s. Stuff like Hellstrom's Hive and the Bill Ransom collaboration. Re-read Whipping Star/The Dosadi Experiment recently, still got quite a bit of enjoyment out of them. It's interesting how the two books were written in two different phases of Frank as a writer. Whipping Star still has a lot of the 1950s secret agent Hellstrom Hive type feel. In the beginning of Dosadi, when you realize the Calabrians aren't the focus of the story, there's a bit of a letdown. Then he switches gears into his mature writer Children of Dune/God Emperor idea phase and it gets really good.

Which brings up the reason I posted, wouldn't have without one. I was thumbing through some new Paleolithic, human evolution type stuff and found a new paper about human self-domestication. The hypothesis that humans unknowingly used the same selection process on themselves we used on cats, chickens, cows, and the rest. The reason we have the type of faces we have and our sociability. I'm not a scientist so I can't say I have a full understanding or judge the validity but I think they're claiming they've found genetic evidence for this. It made me think of Frank, which made me think of this website I'd recently registered on, so I wrote up this post. Here's a link to the paper if anybody's interested in that kind of stuff.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/570036v1?rss=1
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Hello Outcasts

Post by Freakzilla »

:text-welcomeconfetti: :text-welcomeconfetti:

I guess we're not. The official Dune forum that we were cast out of isn't even running anymore so I guess we did win. But I wouldn't say our Jihad is over, we're merely in a lull. Have some beer and steaks, there's a movie coming out.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Fight the inclination to become museum Fremen!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Hello!

I was never a member of that official website so I began as cast out, somehow.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
pcqypcqy

Post by pcqypcqy »

Good to see this forum still attracts the odd new member, me myself doing the same thing about a year ago.

It's sporadic, but there's a few guys that are always discussing something. I tend to only come back when I'm doing my yearly re-read of the series and have new thoughts/ideas.

Welcome.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Not much has been going on lately. The hacks haven't been putting out. The movie is increasing traffic.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Welcome, your water is ours!
I've been away for some time but the movie also made me crawl out of my cave in the desert.
Spice is the worm's gonads.