Howdy

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

istaivan

Howdy

Post by istaivan »

Greetings!
I started reading Dune, i will admit, at age ten in 1983 slightly after finding out that the movie was coming out.
Rapidly by 1985 had caught up through reading Heretics, and bought the Encyclopedia at the same time as Heretics.
"istaivan" is of course from the Encyclopedia, where it is the name of three (four?) Emperors on the Emperors list, and the first name of the architect of Castle Caladan (Istaivan Hiivaladan).
In September of 1991 when I was setting up my accounts at the UW in Seattle as a freshman, i settled on istaivan as my account name and... for better or worse, it's been with me ever since as one of my names on the Net.
I've been reading and re-reading the books ever since 1983 so I know a little bit whereof i speak. I am staunchly a person who considers the original six books (and with all its flaws the Encyclopedia) to be the true Dune universe.
What got me into posting on here was the fact that Danika Massey (Comic Book Girl 19) does a book club every summer where she reads through the Dune novels, in order. Last summer was Dune Messiah and so upcoming is Children of Dune. I must say i'd never have crossed paths with her stuff except that when she was making her 'Greater Creators' videos for Go90 (which is now defunct) she made a Frank Herbert episode which one night about two years ago, I watched at random on YouTube.

So even though i've read through the entire six books already I have been posting questions to her Patreon page during the Q&A of these book clubs, and in the course of getting ready for the Children of Dune sessions this summer I ran across a thread from here dealing with the origin of some of the Fremen names.

So that's how I wound up here.
I may not post all that much but I have a few reflections to add (I'll do a search first to see if i'm not reinventing the wheel, though).
Respectfully
--D
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: Howdy

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home!
Last edited by Serkanner on 23 Feb 2019 07:49, edited 1 time in total.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Naib

Post by Naib »

Hello and welcome!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

:text-welcomeconfetti: :text-welcomeconfetti:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Hello there!
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
lotek

Post by lotek »

Welcome twice welcome!
Spice is the worm's gonads.