Altered Carbon

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Altered Carbon

Post by Omphalos »

Anyone watch this show? I watched it a while ago, like back when it was put up on Netflix. I never read the books by Morgan, but I did know a little about it from this board and T(A)U before I watched.

I really liked the first five episodes. They were awesome, actually. But by episode 5 or 6 they gave Dichen Lachman (she played Reileen Kawahara) and Renee Elise Goldsbury (who played Quellcrist Falconer - fucking stupid character name) more to do. After they came into the story in that big a way, it really turned the entire production into something like shitty CW fare.

I liked Joel Kinnaman. He comes off as emotionally dead too much for my liking, but despite that, in the end I think that he does a good job with most of his roles.

I am thinking I will give season 2 a go, just to see if they can regain any glory.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SadisticCynic

Re: Altered Carbon

Post by SadisticCynic »

I held off from replying to see if anyone had more to say, but it seems not. :)

I haven't watched it yet, and I heard a few things about the modified back story that concern me a little. Especially regarding the Quellist revolutionaries and the Protectorate Envoys and the merging of some characters.

Merging the characters happened also in GoT, and I have to say I'm still not sure why that's necessary, unless you really think the viewer is stupid.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Naib

Post by Naib »

I watched a couple of episodes, but haven't managed to watch the rest.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Naib wrote:I watched a couple of episodes, but haven't managed to watch the rest.
Same here. I watched the first 5 and then I couldn't be bothered any more. I did buy the trilogy to read though.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Naib

Post by Naib »

Serkanner wrote:
Naib wrote:I watched a couple of episodes, but haven't managed to watch the rest.
Same here. I watched the first 5 and then I couldn't be bothered any more. I did buy the trilogy to read though.
I read them as they came out. The first two are really good. I found the third, for whatever reason, didn't capture my interest the same.
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

I became vaguely interested in watching a bit of the series since you were talking about it. Got halfway through the first episode and I was bored already. I can't decide whether to try to finish it, but the star of the show seems to me like a one-way ticket to tedium.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Naib

Post by Naib »

You aren't wrong. Netflix managed to take a very interesting book and completely suck the life out of it.