Director Denis Villeneuve hopes to make Dune movie Read more

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Director Denis Villeneuve hopes to make Dune movie Read more

Post by Freakzilla »

All the middle aged plus women I've talked to are excited about it... and most of them have never heard of it. They seem to like the choice for Chani too
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Naib

Post by Naib »

I occurred to me today why the choice of Momoa is irritating me so much. It's because I always thought that Mandy Patinkin circa Princess Bride would have made a perfect Duncan Idaho. He had the physical ability and was certainly a great actor. It's just a shame that Villeneuve couldn't see that that is the calibre of actor the Idaho character deserves. Not some flash in the pan.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

He really didn't have that much of a part in Dune, depending on where they cut it he won't be in the second half at all. They can always recast for Dune Messiah and after.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Naib

Post by Naib »

Freakzilla wrote:They can always recast for Dune Messiah and after.
I like your optimism!
Naib

Post by Naib »

By the juice of Sapho they've chosen a Piter.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/legendary- ... 202560175/
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Naib wrote:By the juice of Sapho they've chosen a Piter.

that guy reminds me of the Pharma-bro douche who jacked up the cost of the epi-pen.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Naib

Post by Naib »

Omphalos wrote:

that guy reminds me of the Pharma-bro douche who jacked up the cost of the epi-pen.
He does at that. I don't really know this guy too well but Villeneuve seems to like him.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Naib wrote:
Omphalos wrote:

He does at that. I don't really know this guy too well but Villeneuve seems to like him.
I mostly recall him from the recent Ant-Man films, but he was also in BR2049 as Coco, which I guess is why Villeneuve likes him.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

The most important thing is that I love Denis, since Prisoners. What a luxury! He asked me if I would ever be interested in being part of Dune. Are you kidding? How much do I have to pay? It's one of those blessings that you have in this amazing, blessed life that I happen to have: having a job that I love, and make a living with, and also work with people that I truly admire and respect, and I'm getting inspired by it. It's a lot.
I read the first three books, and, of course, I saw David Lynch's film. I'm going to be turning 50 on March 1st, so I saw David Lynch's film, which I loved. I remember the day I saw it in 1984, I think, and it was weird! And I loved it! It was big and weird, and those sandworms!
Why Javier Bardem Is Excited About Joining Denis Villeneuve's Dune
Naib

Post by Naib »

Redstar wrote:
The most important thing is that I love Denis, since Prisoners. What a luxury! He asked me if I would ever be interested in being part of Dune. Are you kidding? How much do I have to pay? It's one of those blessings that you have in this amazing, blessed life that I happen to have: having a job that I love, and make a living with, and also work with people that I truly admire and respect, and I'm getting inspired by it. It's a lot.
I read the first three books, and, of course, I saw David Lynch's film. I'm going to be turning 50 on March 1st, so I saw David Lynch's film, which I loved. I remember the day I saw it in 1984, I think, and it was weird! And I loved it! It was big and weird, and those sandworms!
Why Javier Bardem Is Excited About Joining Denis Villeneuve's Dune
Thanks for the link.

It's interesting to see Dune fans becoming more vocal now that the film is taking shape.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

So what are everyone's thoughts on the prospects for the new film? The castling looks pretty interesting, ik just not sure the book really translates well to film.

Hi again, by the way.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

chanilover wrote:So what are everyone's thoughts on the prospects for the new film? The castling looks pretty interesting, ik just not sure the book really translates well to film.

Hi again, by the way.
Don't care a bit about the film.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

chanilover wrote:So what are everyone's thoughts on the prospects for the new film? The castling looks pretty interesting, ik just not sure the book really translates well to film.

Hi again, by the way.
Had a brief hope that they would do it right. More and more its starting to look like a mass-market POS that will support a lifetime of video games and hack-based adaptations.

Remember, "tentpole" is what the accountants get when they see the marketing plan.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

My biggest concern is that it will be a well put together ok product, that sort of basically shows the literal story, has some good acting, and good visuals. I doubt it will be a complete POS, based on the director, but I will be very surprised if he touches upon the significant themes of the book and uses the film as a vehicle to show them. It will probably be lukewarm in the areas that would matter to me.

For instance, I would lay down money that we will not get a character arc showing Paul as trying to avoid the jihad, and failing himself in the end when it's clear he valued being an Atreides more than avoiding being the leader of a bloodbath. At this point I can scarcely imagine a Hollywood film depicting a grand victory as being a failure for our hero.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Naib

Post by Naib »

I had high hopes in the beginning. Some of the casing seems rather odd to me and the inclusion of C-level actors like Momoa have put me right off. I hold little hope for anything great now. I fear it could be retitled Super Space Spice War.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

That Chalamet dude looks the part of Paul, and I can't wait to see the Baron's fat suit.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

chanilover wrote:That Chalamet dude looks the part of Paul, and I can't wait to see the Baron's fat suit.
I hope they don't overdo it, he only weighed 200kg. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
Naib

Post by Naib »

I hope they don't use a fat suit at all and have Skarsgard on a cheese and bacon diet instead.
Naib

Post by Naib »

Jason Momoa has apparently finished filming his bits as Duncan Idaho.
https://twitter.com/DUNEFAN2020/status/ ... 6144372736

I'm not sure how I feel about this as I think he's the wrong choice for Duncan.
WolfgangMercury

Post by WolfgangMercury »

Naib wrote:Jason Momoa has apparently finished filming his bits as Duncan Idaho.

Yeah, he absolutely doesn't look or act like Duncan Idaho for me. His performances haven't been great historically, he's a fun action movie guy.
I honestly think that the miniseries, especially the Dune Messiah/Children of Dune one, really nailed their portrayal of Duncan.
"We've lost that clear, single-note of living. If it cannot be bottled, beaten, pointed or hoarded, we give it no value."

Emperor Muad'dib, Dune Messiah
Naib

Post by Naib »

WolfgangMercury wrote:
Naib wrote:Jason Momoa has apparently finished filming his bits as Duncan Idaho.

Yeah, he absolutely doesn't look or act like Duncan Idaho for me. His performances haven't been great historically, he's a fun action movie guy.
I honestly think that the miniseries, especially the Dune Messiah/Children of Dune one, really nailed their portrayal of Duncan.
Agreed. We saw nothing of Duncan in the Lynch film so you can't make comparisons there. I always picture Duncan as a young Mandy Patinkin.

georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

And then there's the theory once put forward on Jacurutu that Idado must be Asian-looking. I would have been down for that.
Naib

Post by Naib »

Absolutely. A Brandon Lee type look but a little taller could have worked marvellously for Duncan.
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Naib wrote:Absolutely. A Brandon Lee type look but a little taller could have worked marvellously for Duncan.
Now that you mention it, a young and rising Asian action star could actually be a good fit for Duncan, where they could actually give him cool swordfighting choreography in the fight to save Paul.
Naib

Post by Naib »

georgiedenbro wrote:
Naib wrote:Absolutely. A Brandon Lee type look but a little taller could have worked marvellously for Duncan.
Now that you mention it, a young and rising Asian action star could actually be a good fit for Duncan, where they could actually give him cool swordfighting choreography in the fight to save Paul.
You wouldn't want him to be too young as Duncan is a mentor of Paul's. Someone 45-50 would probably be more appropriate.