Self Introduction

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Self Introduction

Post by Freakzilla »

Diego wrote:What I can't figure out is the following:

I found out from my online research that Frank had indeed planned to end the series with Book 7, and transition the Duniverse to democratic rule. So how can Brian and Keven write Sequels up the butt (prolapsed or otherwise) to Book 7? I can see the Prequels, even its stupid.

I just counted. There are a total of 12 novels by Brian and Kevin. Paul of Dune is listed as a direct sequel to Dune. Well, it seems to me that if Frank had wanted that to occur, he'd have written it that way. I mean, he wrote Dune Messiah, the book that followed Dune. So, what the eff, man? Which is the sequel?

Well, we know the answer to that. Brian and Kevin just sound like hacks trying to make a buck (or a pound sterling, I am not sure what nationality Frank was) off of Frank's good name. What total Pricks!
Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune are sequels to Chapterhouse: Dune (book 6). They take the place of what would have been FH's Dune 7. FH was from the USA.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Diego

Post by Diego »

Freakzilla wrote: Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune are sequels to Chapterhouse: Dune (book 6). They take the place of what would have been FH's Dune 7. FH was from the USA.
And are they that awful as well?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Diego wrote:
Freakzilla wrote: Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune are sequels to Chapterhouse: Dune (book 6). They take the place of what would have been FH's Dune 7. FH was from the USA.
And are they that awful as well?
The'ye an abomination. Read them at your own risk.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Diego

Post by Diego »

I shall definitely bear that in mind. Of course, I shall not have to worry about it for some time, as I am only in book I at the moment. Getting done with book VI will take a very long time. Well, off to that then. Check back here later.
xcalibur

Post by xcalibur »

Diego wrote:Wow. Cortana defined the concept of prolapse of the anus, me being unfamiliar with medical terminology. You set me to laughing, I'll grant you that! What I can't figure out is the following:

I found out from my online research that Frank had indeed planned to end the series with Book 7, and transition the Duniverse to democratic rule. So how can Brian and Keven write Sequels up the butt (prolapsed or otherwise) to Book 7? I can see the Prequels, even its stupid.

I just counted. There are a total of 12 novels by Brian and Kevin. Paul of Dune is listed as a direct sequel to Dune. Well, it seems to me that if Frank had wanted that to occur, he'd have written it that way. I mean, he wrote Dune Messiah, the book that followed Dune. So, what the eff, man? Which is the sequel?

Well, we know the answer to that. Brian and Kevin just sound like hacks trying to make a buck (or a pound sterling, I am not sure what nationality Frank was) off of Frank's good name. What total Pricks!
exactly, they see Dune as a cash cow, and their job is to milk it to death.

originally there was going to be a thematic symmetry to the series. the first three books are a trilogy, then god emperor (the intellectual capstone, with long time intervals between), then the second trilogy set after the Scattering. unfortunately it wasn't finished, but at least we've got 6/7.

the decent thing to do would be to release the outline & notes, but as I'm sure these contradict the direction B&K went in, of course they won't.
Fremen : Museum Fremen :: Frank : Brian & Kevin
Diego

Post by Diego »

xcalibur wrote:exactly, they see Dune as a cash cow, and their job is to milk it to death.

originally there was going to be a thematic symmetry to the series. the first three books are a trilogy, then god emperor (the intellectual capstone, with long time intervals between), then the second trilogy set after the Scattering. unfortunately it wasn't finished, but at least we've got 6/7.

the decent thing to do would be to release the outline & notes, but as I'm sure these contradict the direction B&K went in, of course they won't.
Well, I am inclined to agree with you, although from the reading I have been doing, these men insist that "Hunters of Dune" and "Sandworms of Dune" are in fact based on Frank's floppy disks.

And you know, if these men were good writers, along the caliber of Frank, I wouldn't even mind them doing what they did. But if they are not, then they really ought to be arrested for indecency!

I mean, look, I haven't read House Atreides or House Harkonnen, which I downloaded with the original 6. Although I expect you all are right, the books are on my Kindle, simply because they were there. I shall read them, at my own risk, admittedly. I shall make my own opinion of them, and I shall try to be fair toward them. But it does sound like they are rather awful.

On another note, I have been reading my copy of the Orange Catholic Bible, Prescient Edition. It starts out with some Upanishads. I am not sure how realistic the book truly is, in terms of what a true OCB would look like, had Frank actually written one. I suspect, TBH, not very.

But, it is interesting nonetheless. It would not have occurred to me to read the Katha Upanishad, or frankly, any others, without being goaded (in a good way) to do so by this text. I am a Lutheran Christian, and I have studied and read the Bible, the Qur'an, the Book of Mormon, some Buddhist stuff, I have a BA in Philosophy (and an MA in History, but that's by the by), the other Mormon stuff, quite a bit of the Urantia Book, and off and on throughout the years various oddball stuff that claims to be holy literature from one group or other. But I freely admit that I have never really reviewed Hindu stuff, except a bit of the Baghavad-Gita. I have studied ABOUT the religion, but not the Scriptures themselves.

So reading the OCB does put me in touch with some interesting stuff that it might not have occurred to me to read. Is the text truly what I would expect the OCB to be? Well, that is debatable. But was it still worth the US$19.99 that I paid for it? I would say yes. And as far as being the OCB, its a good starting point. I think the author(s) probably at least read the "Dune" Series. And I think that it presents a good jumping off point for someone(s) who wanted to go further with it, and create something that was a little more like what I think Frank may have had in mind.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I fail to see why this "orange catholic bible" isn't just somebodies cashcow like the Atrocities are? Somebdoy collects a number of freely available old scriptures, bind them together and name them OCB, which is the only connection to Dune. Then sells it for a nice profit and because it contains a huff of Dune smell the fanbois will buy it.

You are duped into buying trash.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Diego

Post by Diego »

Allow me to attempt to ignore what I perceive, hopefully inaccurately, as the rather rude tone of your post, and instead attempt to concentrate on the content thereof. Nevertheless, I thought I should point out that the tone of the post is a bit nasty.
Serkanner wrote:I fail to see why this "orange catholic bible" isn't just somebodies cashcow like the Atrocities are?
If that is what Someone(s) is thinking, then they are the likely the ones being duped. I noticed that my copy has a print date and location date of printing. "Made in the USA, Lexington, Kentucky, 15 July 2016". This indicates the book is a "Print on Demand" only book, and isn't exactly flying off the shelves.
Somebdoy collects a number of freely available old scriptures, bind them together and name them OCB, which is the only connection to Dune. Then sells it for a nice profit and because it contains a huff of Dune smell the fanbois will buy it.

Second verse, same as the first? How much money are they actually making? Even among "Dune" fans, how many REALLY are that interested in the content of the OC Bible, beyond that which is explained in the Dune Encyclopedia? I mean, Hell's Bells, you can't even get the average American to LOOK at a religious document any more, whether it be the Bible, the Upanishads, the Qur'an (except perhaps to study our enemy more re: the "War on Terror)", or anything else. Do you think that this group of religious morons making up the United States population would even TOUCH a book entitled "The Orange Catholic Bible?

And before you jump the gun, NO, I am NOT counting atheists and agnostics as religious morons. I mean, some might be, but the majority of them can give me a run for my money in religious debate!
Let me ask you, who is the duped one, my Sister (and if I got your sex wrong, do correct me, please)? The one who gets something and is actually pleasantly surprised by it, or the one who has never seen it, and yet has the need to criticise it anyway?

Is it what I wanted, no. Is it more than I expected? Yes. It will make a good jumping-off point for future work on the subject, there is no doubt. Therein lies its primary value.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Apart from the departure of the "McDune" books from FH's themes, the writing itself is just awful. I don't mean awful compared to FH, I mean it's an insult to literature. I don't think anyone expected them to attempt to imitate or live up to FH's standard but we expected them to respect his ideas. After you've read the originals you should read at least one of them to see what we're talking about.
~Pink Snowman
Diego

Post by Diego »

Freakzilla wrote:Apart from the departure of the "McDune" books from FH's themes, the writing itself is just awful. I don't mean awful compared to FH, I mean it's an insult to literature. I don't think anyone expected them to attempt to imitate or live up to FH's standard but we expected them to respect his ideas. After you've read the originals you should read at least one of them to see what we're talking about.
As to this I knew that that was the matter to which you referred. You will note that I neither agreed with you nor DISagreed with you. I merely agreed with the fact that you had all stated your opinions, and further, agreed that I would read the two that I have, namely, "House Atreides" and "House Harkonnen" precisely FOR the reason you just suggested, not so much to see if they lived up to Frank's ability to write (I mean, who the Hell could?), but could they at least stay faithful to his vision and be decent in a literary fashion?

My objection to Serkanner's post is not just the content, for which I believe she has little basis, as she has never read the OCB (very few people have, it being very hard to find; Barnes and Noble doesn't sell it, for example). It is also the very shrill way in which she says what she has to say. It reminds me rather of :Adolf: And that is NOT a positive association.

Allow me to say to you Serkanner, if I am misjudging you, and being harsh, I apologise in advance. Maybe you did NOT mean to come across as strongly as you did. If that is the case, than perhaps I should not have come out so intensely against you.

In any case, there you have it, for what it is with. I look forward to hearing from any and all of you. Peace.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

It's a tough crowd here. Don't make eye contact and try not to make any sudden movements. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
Diego

Post by Diego »

Freakzilla wrote:It's a tough crowd here. Don't make eye contact and try not to make any sudden movements. :wink:
Perhaps I am being over-sensitive. On another board that I was on just recently (no, Mandy, not where I met you), they were REALLY weird about that kind of thing. I see this board is a bit more tolerant of quirks. It was a Lutheran web board, and man, they were WEIRD about slights, and perceived slights, against ANYONE! God forbid if you were even slightly suspected of hurting someone's feelings! And it wasn't a question of, did you ACTUALLY act like an A**H***. It was, were you even slightly, possibly, suspected of maybe acting anywhere near like one in your faintest of dreams.

I am glad to see this board being more natural, if you will. :cylon101:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I believe in minimal moderation. We have a short list of RULES
~Pink Snowman
Diego

Post by Diego »

Freakzilla wrote:I believe in minimal moderation. We have a short list of RULES
Thank God!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Diego wrote:Perhaps I am being over-sensitive.
Kinda seems that way, but I have to ask, are you one of Mandykins professional troll friends? We know she has a lot, and I just do not see Mandy sending someone like you - who seems to be a complete rube - directly to us like this.

Don't get me wrong, now. I think Mandy may be playing with us a little bit and not doing this from that well-hidden, little black place in her heart. And to be totally honest the idea that she is makes me a little . . . well, turgid. But Mandy knows us well, and I still just do not see her sending you in like this so . . . completely unprepared. That is unless she has an ulterior motive and you are in on it and playing along.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Diego

Post by Diego »

Omphalos wrote:
Diego wrote:Perhaps I am being over-sensitive.
Kinda seems that way, but I have to ask, are you one of Mandykins professional troll friends? We know she has a lot, and I just do not see Mandy sending someone like you - who seems to be a complete rube - directly to us like this.
LOL. Trust me, I am no Troll. I am a blatant, in your face, newbie to Dune. If I come across like a bit of an idiot on the subject, its because I kind of am. But I am also coming from a complete lack of knowledge, and from a recent experience on a board that has led me to be very cautious about what I say and do.
Don't get me wrong, now. I think Mandy may be playing with us a little bit and not doing this from that well-hidden, little black place in her heart. And to be totally honest the idea that she is makes me a little . . . well, turgid. But Mandy knows us well, and I still just do not see her sending you in like this so . . . completely unprepared. That is unless she has an ulterior motive and you are in on it and playing along.
Mandy is a first class Sweetheart. I have known her for some time on yet a third board of mutual interest. She knows that while I may have my individual quirks, I am no Troll. Trust me, as I get further into Dune (according to the Kindle reader, I am 15% of the way through the book at present), I shall seem very much less like a rube, as you so put it.

My fascination with Dune is primarily the religious aspect thereof. I think that the commentary that Dune makes on religion, whether good or bad, is something that is rather revolutionary. I don't know entirely what that commentary is, just from reading references in the Encyclopedia and the Index to Dune itself. In fact, I think even after reading the series, I may not totally get it. But at least I will be further along the way.

I also have personal interests for understanding the concept of the Orange Catholic Bible. Although my own beliefs are quite strict, I consider the idea of respect for other religions to be an absolute prerequisite for being designated a member of Homo sapiens sapiens.

The Orange Catholic Bible presents a concept which itself is so revolutionary, so ground-shaking, as to set the world on its head. The idea that you could take the Scriptures of the OT, the NT, the Upanishads, the Vedas, Buddhist Sutras, Zen Koans, the Qur'an, and more and put them into a Scripture that would flow smoothly together, thus easing the need for humanity to fight about one of the oldest fights in the world, religion, is amazing. Of course, Paul appears to have ignited ye another raging Jihad, why, I don't kow.

Rest assured, my friends, I am no Troll. Many things I may be, but that I am not.

Diego
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

But I am also coming from a complete lack of knowledge, and from a recent experience on a board that has led me to be very cautious about what I say and do.
Uh-huh.

:teasing-whipblue: BATHE HIM! AND BR-R-R-RING HIM TO ME!!! :teasing-whipyellow:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
xcalibur

Post by xcalibur »

Diego wrote:
xcalibur wrote:exactly, they see Dune as a cash cow, and their job is to milk it to death.

Well, I am inclined to agree with you, although from the reading I have been doing, these men insist that "Hunters of Dune" and "Sandworms of Dune" are in fact based on Frank's floppy disks.

And you know, if these men were good writers, along the caliber of Frank, I wouldn't even mind them doing what they did. But if they are not, then they really ought to be arrested for indecency!

I mean, look, I haven't read House Atreides or House Harkonnen, which I downloaded with the original 6. Although I expect you all are right, the books are on my Kindle, simply because they were there. I shall read them, at my own risk, admittedly. I shall make my own opinion of them, and I shall try to be fair toward them. But it does sound like they are rather awful.
I'm sure they were influenced by the outline & notes, just like they borrowed from the Dune Encyclopedia. but they only used those things to help churn out prose, not because they respected the source material. I mean, Daniel & Marty are pretty much confirmed to be Tleilaxu Face Dancers who ascended beyond their limitations, yet B&K turned them into robots. and that's just the beginning.

I will say that the House novels are not as bad as the rest, but they're still ham-fisted enough to break suspension of disbelief.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Diego wrote:Allow me to attempt to ignore what I perceive, hopefully inaccurately, as the rather rude tone of your post, and instead attempt to concentrate on the content thereof. Nevertheless, I thought I should point out that the tone of the post is a bit nasty.
Serkanner wrote:I fail to see why this "orange catholic bible" isn't just somebodies cashcow like the Atrocities are?
If that is what Someone(s) is thinking, then they are the likely the ones being duped. I noticed that my copy has a print date and location date of printing. "Made in the USA, Lexington, Kentucky, 15 July 2016". This indicates the book is a "Print on Demand" only book, and isn't exactly flying off the shelves.
Somebdoy collects a number of freely available old scriptures, bind them together and name them OCB, which is the only connection to Dune. Then sells it for a nice profit and because it contains a huff of Dune smell the fanbois will buy it.

Second verse, same as the first? How much money are they actually making? Even among "Dune" fans, how many REALLY are that interested in the content of the OC Bible, beyond that which is explained in the Dune Encyclopedia? I mean, Hell's Bells, you can't even get the average American to LOOK at a religious document any more, whether it be the Bible, the Upanishads, the Qur'an (except perhaps to study our enemy more re: the "War on Terror)", or anything else. Do you think that this group of religious morons making up the United States population would even TOUCH a book entitled "The Orange Catholic Bible?

And before you jump the gun, NO, I am NOT counting atheists and agnostics as religious morons. I mean, some might be, but the majority of them can give me a run for my money in religious debate!
Let me ask you, who is the duped one, my Sister (and if I got your sex wrong, do correct me, please)? The one who gets something and is actually pleasantly surprised by it, or the one who has never seen it, and yet has the need to criticise it anyway?

Is it what I wanted, no. Is it more than I expected? Yes. It will make a good jumping-off point for future work on the subject, there is no doubt. Therein lies its primary value.
For an asperger you seem to be quite able to read the tone of my post.

You are happy with wasting money? Good for you.

In my opinion you wasted it, deal with it.

And I am neither your brother or sister. Don't ever make that mistake again.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
Diego

Post by Diego »

Serkanner wrote: For an asperger you seem to be quite able to read the tone of my post.
Asperger's I may have. Idiot I am not.
Your opinion has as much value to me as toilet paper does after I have wiped my A** with it. Keep that in mind.
You want to be a royal A**H***? Two can play at that game. I was trying to be courteous and polite. You want a full-scale battle, I can give you one the likes of which the Roman arena never saw, you blithering sack of overheated dinosaur crap.
Last edited by Diego on 22 Jul 2016 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
Diego

Post by Diego »

xcalibur wrote:I'm sure they were influenced by the outline & notes, just like they borrowed from the Dune Encyclopedia. but they only used those things to help churn out prose, not because they respected the source material. I mean, Daniel & Marty are pretty much confirmed to be Tleilaxu Face Dancers who ascended beyond their limitations, yet B&K turned them into robots. and that's just the beginning.

I will say that the House novels are not as bad as the rest, but they're still ham-fisted enough to break suspension of disbelief.
From what you have been saying, that is what it sounds like. I shall read the two I have, but at this point, I don't expect much.
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Diego,

When I first came here I realized the tone was often rougher than I was used to from other boards, but I've come to see the good in that and things don't really get out of control that I've seen. But you have to be able to deal with stern disagreement with things you say without taking it personally. Or take it personally, but don't let it get in the way of Dune discussion! Serk may have curtly disparaged the book you're currently enjoying, but to whit he didn't disparage you personally. I'm not quite sure what the value is in coming to a site as a new member and telling long-standing members you don't like how they reply to content. We here tend to be inclined to taking seriously real FH content and to dismiss heresy (i.e. fanfic) that cruises on his coattails. If you enjoy the OCB then that's great, but I wouldn't hold my breath expecting entirely positive comments related to it. That being said I might check it out sometime, if for no other reason to satisfy my curiosity.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Diego wrote:
Serkanner wrote: For an asperger you seem to be quite able to read the tone of my post.
Asperger's I may have. Idiot I am not.
Your opinion has as much value to me as toilet paper does after I have wiped my A** with it. Keep that in mind.
You want to be a royal A**H***? Two can play at that game. I was trying to be courteous and polite. You want a full-scale battle, I can give you one the likes of which the Roman arena never saw, you blithering sack of overheated dinosaur crap.
If I get a dollar for evey person who on the internet claims to have Asperger, I would be a very rich man. In your second, or was it your first post, you made this claim. Why? Do you want to know I suffer from ingrowing toenails too? Keep your private shit to yourself please because I really don't give a flying fuck whether you have asperger or not.

You haven't read Dune but do make unsubstantiated claims about the "worth" of a collection of stories which have nothing to do with Dune. read the fucking books first before loudmouthing your worthless opinions.

You talk too much and I sincerally dislike people who enter an "old" well-established community and act as if they are old friends. You are not an old friend, you are not a friend and with your attitude you will not become my friend.

Threathening a senior member of this site will go down very well with the other members here. Keep it up.

You will not do "battle" with me. There is this nice option to set members to "ignore". Now I will not see your crap anymore at all.

Good day to you sir.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
xcalibur

Post by xcalibur »

I'm just a guest in this community, but one thing I like is the lack of censorship and political correctness. there are other forums where if you make a slightly offensive post, or post a thread that's too similar to a recent thread, you'll get a condescending lecture from a moderator. and so, I completely avoid those places.

in my experience, every community has a different culture and vibe to it, but there are also points in common. I'm active in communities where free speech takes precedence over excessive rules.
Diego

Post by Diego »

XCALIBUR, I am inclined to agree with you on that point! As for Serkanner, He is an idiot. I'll just leave him to his own devices.