Self Introduction

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Diego

Self Introduction

Post by Diego »

Hello:

Just a short Introduction. My name, or rather, the name by which I may be called, is Diego. I am new to the Dune universe. I have eight Dune novels on my Kindle, the six by Frank and two more by his son Brian. I have also ordered a book entitled "The Orange Catholic Bible", published in 2015, by the International Council on Interplanetary Religion. It will arrive in Monday's post, supposedly, Now, as we all know, The Orange Catholic Bible, put together by the Commission of Ecumenical Translators, is the primary Scripture of the Imperium. So, who are these Jokers that published the book I purchased, and does it have any connection to Dune beyond the name?

I am 42 years old and a Historian by trade. I am currently writing a book on the Holy Roman Empire due to hopefully be published in 2021. I live in the Midwest with my wife and dog.

So, the question then becomes, has anybody heard of this book that I write of, the one that I purchased from Amazon? If so, let me know what you think of it. I am quite curious.

Thanks,
Diego
Mandy
Cat Herder

Re: Self Introduction

Post by Mandy »

I see you found Jacurutu!

I asked about that book down in Gafla, but so far no one has heard of it.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Diego

Post by Diego »

Well, hopefully someone will come along who has seen it or heard of it more than I have.
xcalibur

Post by xcalibur »

do you mean this? https://www.amazon.com/Orange-Catholic- ... 1508508720" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

while the original Dune novels are excellent, the Brian & Kevin books are not worth reading.
Fremen : Museum Fremen :: Frank : Brian & Kevin
Diego

Post by Diego »

xcalibur wrote:do you mean this? https://www.amazon.com/Orange-Catholic- ... 1508508720" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

while the original Dune novels are excellent, the Brian & Kevin books are not worth reading.
I do indeed mean that. Thank you for asking. Do you know of it? Mandy has said the same thing of Brian's works. I downloaded them only because they were with the original six, and all were free at the Internet archive.
ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

Diego wrote:
I am 42 years old and a Historian by trade. I am currently writing a book on the Holy Roman Empire due to hopefully be published in 2021.
Achlan wasachlan Diego ! :D

What is your specialty ? Ottonian times, Hohenstaufens, Habsburg period ? I have acquired some skills about the italian fiefs and sous-fiefs with 'superioritas territorialis' under the late Habsburg domination -- Cinquecento & Seicento-- (I have worked on the subject for 3 years) :D
Diego

Post by Diego »

Actually, the Hohenstaufens. Frederick II to be precise. In fact, I have reasons for finding him interesting, in terms of universal religion.
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Hello!
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Diego

Post by Diego »

Well hello there! I have to go to bed now, but I shall chat with you later, I hope! Peace!
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

:greetings-wavingblue: hi
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Diego

Post by Diego »

Hello to all who have greeted me. Thank you! As you can see from my other post here in Dune Religion, I have an abiding interest in that subject as well. If anyone so far here, or anyone here who knows anyone who is interested in that subject, come on over, or send the person you know over, to my posting there. I should very much like like to have congress with you.Thanks.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

:text-welcomeconfetti: :text-welcomeconfetti:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Diego

Post by Diego »

Thank you, Freakzilla. Glad to be here.
Naib

Post by Naib »

Hello and welcome!
Diego

Post by Diego »

Well, Naib, Hello, and thank you very much!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Mandy wrote:I see you found Jacurutu!

I suspect its just one of those "throw together" books that questionable publishers fix up for an easy sale. It's probably done by someone who has at least read Dune, and took a crack at putting publicly available writings that he or she feels may have influenced Herbert in his idea.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Diego

Post by Diego »

Omphalos wrote:
Mandy wrote:I see you found Jacurutu!

I suspect its just one of those "throw together" books that questionable publishers fix up for an easy sale. It's probably done by someone who has at least read Dune, and took a crack at putting publicly available writings that he or she feels may have influenced Herbert in his idea.
I expect you are right. My copy has arrived to me, and it DOES appear to contain material that is public domain stuff. Although I have written the following in different posts, I shall summarise what I know here:
The Orange Catholic Bible came yesterday. Its actually 596 pages long. And its 8.5 inches by 11 inches in size. So its definitely a monster. It does incorporate quotes from OC Bible as in the Dune Series and in the Dune Encyclopedia, but it doesn't claim to be anything licensed, by any means, by anyone or anything in the Official Dune Universe. It also states at the beginning:
Please bear in mind that in this prescient edition of the Orange Catholic Bible, the Commentary is interspersed with the actual text of the OCB.
Based on a more thorough review of the text, it isn't as interesting as a REAL Orange Catholic Bible would be, at least, not IMHO. But, then again, MHO only counts for so much. It is still quite interesting. It still contains a great deal of fascinating material. And again, I have NOT reviewed the material thoroughly. Furthermore, there is neither a Table of Contents nor an Index as such.

They do have, on p. 595, what they call a Listing, whatever the Hell that means.

Upanishads p. 4
Gods of the Brythons p. 47
Babylonian Deities p. 62
Ancient Myths Biblical and Many Others p. 152
Nonresistance "Kingdom of God is Within You" p. 312
Theologico-Political and the Light of Reason p. 416
Osiris p.463
Aquarian Gospel p. 511
Islam p. 594

Now these terms can be defined as follows (this is my understanding of things, of course, not the book's);

Upanishads are Hindu Scriptures.
Gods of the Brythons refer to Welsh Deities
Ancient Myths Biblical and many Others is a compendium of exactly that.
Nonresistance "Kingdom of God is Within You" appears to be some Tolstoi.
Theologico-Political and the Light of Reason is, if I am correct, Spinoza, I believe.
Osiris is obviously from an Egyptian provenance.
the Aquarian Gospel is precisely that, although I don't know how much of that document is included therein.
Islam appears to be an odd rejection of Sura 109 in the Qur'an.

But there is A LOT more in there than just those things. I mean, there is a SHIT-ton of commentary, and I don't know what is considered Scripture and what is considered commentary. This book is no doubt very complex. I can't judge it in one day
So everything that appears in quote has appeared in other posts, but is corrected and transcribed here for everyone's benefit. If this helps any... Like I said in another post, I am fascinated the book exists, just by virtue of the fact that it DOES. Its not even so much how good it is, although I DO think they could have done better. Nevertheless, I do think it was an interesting effort. I shall continue to write more as I learn more. I can either do that here or in the thread that I started dedicated TO the Orange Catholic Bible, whichever you all prefer.
xcalibur

Post by xcalibur »

Diego wrote:
xcalibur wrote:do you mean this? https://www.amazon.com/Orange-Catholic- ... 1508508720" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do indeed mean that. Thank you for asking. Do you know of it? Mandy has said the same thing of Brian's works. I downloaded them only because they were with the original six, and all were free at the Internet archive.
I'm not familiar with it. it seems like an interesting project though, imagining how the integrated scripture of the Imperium would have read.

that's understandable. but as anyone else here will tell you, brian & kevin's books are, at best, pot-boilers with a Dune theme slopped on top.
Diego

Post by Diego »

Wow. That awful. I had to look up the word "pot-boiler", not being familiar with slang terminology. I have a form of disability known as Asperger's Syndrome, one of those that is on the Autistic Spectrum, that often leaves me clueless as to cultural references. But Cortana can often correct that problem for me. So Brian and Kevin's books are really that terrible. I shall keep that in mind.
xcalibur

Post by xcalibur »

Diego wrote:Wow. That awful. I had to look up the word "pot-boiler", not being familiar with slang terminology. I have a form of disability known as Asperger's Syndrome, one of those that is on the Autistic Spectrum, that often leaves me clueless as to cultural references. But Cortana can often correct that problem for me. So Brian and Kevin's books are really that terrible. I shall keep that in mind.
I'm familiar with that condition. I don't have it, but I can kind of relate to it, being so focused on things like books and the internet.

yes indeed, that is the consensus of most people who have read both Frank and B&K. this thread will help you get caught up: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2161" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the original Dune novels are rich reading - full of ideas, world-building, and atmosphere. unfortunately, Frank Herbert did not live to complete Dune 7, but what we have is still a classic work.
Diego

Post by Diego »

xcalibur wrote: the original Dune novels are rich reading - full of ideas, world-building, and atmosphere. unfortunately, Frank Herbert did not live to complete Dune 7, but what we have is still a classic work.
Is there any way I can get a hold of Dune 7?
xcalibur

Post by xcalibur »

Diego wrote:
xcalibur wrote: the original Dune novels are rich reading - full of ideas, world-building, and atmosphere. unfortunately, Frank Herbert did not live to complete Dune 7, but what we have is still a classic work.
Is there any way I can get a hold of Dune 7?
unfortunately not.

all we know of are two floppy disks labelled as Dune 7 outline and notes. so far they have not been published.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Diego wrote:So Brian and Kevin's books are really that terrible. I shall keep that in mind.
See the quote at the bottom of my signature. They're that bad. :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Diego

Post by Diego »

Wow. Cortana defined the concept of prolapse of the anus, me being unfamiliar with medical terminology. You set me to laughing, I'll grant you that! What I can't figure out is the following:

I found out from my online research that Frank had indeed planned to end the series with Book 7, and transition the Duniverse to democratic rule. So how can Brian and Keven write Sequels up the butt (prolapsed or otherwise) to Book 7? I can see the Prequels, even its stupid.

I just counted. There are a total of 12 novels by Brian and Kevin. Paul of Dune is listed as a direct sequel to Dune. Well, it seems to me that if Frank had wanted that to occur, he'd have written it that way. I mean, he wrote Dune Messiah, the book that followed Dune. So, what the eff, man? Which is the sequel?

Well, we know the answer to that. Brian and Kevin just sound like hacks trying to make a buck (or a pound sterling, I am not sure what nationality Frank was) off of Frank's good name. What total Pricks!