New McDune? (TBA January)

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Re: New McDune? (TBA January)

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

DuneFishUK wrote:
"I ended up writing 220,000 words—over 900 draft pages—in 47 days. My personal best."
It's alright, I imagine he'll edit it down into a stream-lined, tight, well-paced 300 page novel...

..ahahahahah.. no, it's finished now. Just correct some of the transcription errors and it's ready.
The best I've done was recently write a 22-page grad course thesis in four days, and only one day and a quarter, with help, to edit it. It took more thought, organization, and critical sources to write that than I think the Pulp Sci-Fi Man has done with the new Dune-ish books.

Maybe what KJA and BH need is a high-brow sci-fi editor? Or at least someone from the outside who they don't feel too threatened to get standardized help from?
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
lotek

Post by lotek »

Tehkja doesn't need help, outside or inside, tehkja diarrheas polished turds of prose out of his thing into his thing.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Can you imagine an actual editor having to read through kja's writing?
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Nekhrun wrote:Can you imagine an actual editor having to read through kja's writing?
I think he's tried it and didn't like the result. :lol:
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Nekhrun wrote:Can you imagine an actual editor having to read through kja's writing?

we need a like button.

my response was going to be the professional editor suggesting to TOR that they find a completely different author and that it wouldn't be ethical for them to be involved with the project without labeling it young adult fiction.

...then again, now that I think about it, being an editor there must be the easiest job in the world.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

/facepalm

I mean I can do a search at work for upcoming titles...

Pretty sure the announcement is for this, coming out in April:

http://www.amazon.com/Hellhole-Awakenin ... 0765322706

It's by a Herbert! Its from all their floor scraps of unusable Dune ideas!

It's probably time to return to THE SMELLHOLE CHRONICLES!
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

Shouldn't we wish them the best of luck establishing a successful sci-fi universe all their own?
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Yes, but...

Hellhole is literally the scraps they don't put in their Dune books.

I would love for them to come up with something they can occupy there time with other than Dune. (I even have a tin-foil hat theory that Brian agreed to do Hellhole in order to do less Dune)

We are however talking about Kevin "from his ass to print in 11 parsecs" Anderson. No way in hell is he letting go of Dune, and he's more than happy to write more and more and more. He'll just do it faster, and cut the editing away.
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

But they probably get more money per Hellhole book sold; Kevin because he's one of the original (and therefore not replaceable) authors, Brian because he doesn't have to split the royalties with the rest of the Herbert family.

If Hellhole books start outselling new Dune books in absolute numbers (and I admit they probably won't), it makes no financial sense for either of them to spend their time on Dune when they could be writing more Hellhole-spinoffs; their ideas and plots are probably fairly interchangeable.

So, I think we should start recommending 'Hellhole' to everyone we know ...
Bronso

Post by Bronso »

Naïve mind wrote:So, I think we should start recommending 'Hellhole' to everyone we know ...
Hopefully not anyone you actually like though.
“What do you despise? By this are you truly known.”
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

I seriously doubt Hellhole has earned out it's advance, it is very possible they have yet to earn royalties from it.

Rob
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

Bronso wrote:
Naïve mind wrote:So, I think we should start recommending 'Hellhole' to everyone we know ...
I'm sure that for some people, there's no overlap between those two groups :)
Bronso

Post by Bronso »

Naïve mind wrote:
Bronso wrote:
I'm sure that for some people, there's no overlap between those two groups :)
Ahh, so something like this :)

“What do you despise? By this are you truly known.”
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Bronso wrote:Ahh, so something like this :)

:lol: Nice.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I'm not sure I understand the graph. Are you using "know" in the Biblical sense?

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Bless you. :D
trang

Post by trang »

The Dune Saga is a Facebook page ran by Byron Merritt and company, but is mostly an advertisement page for KJA... it is astoundingly stupid. If you have time check it out, KJA has running posts of quotes from Mentats of Dune, its hard not to chime in light him up.

KJA also mentioned there is a forthcoming Navigators of Dune, after mentats.. egads.

Just stunningly stupid reading, check it out

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2228646347/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KJA even has a video trailer for Hellholes next incarnation

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.ph ... 0034257044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

laughed so hard I was crying
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Kevin J. Anderson:
George, while some things in the Dune Encyclopedia may be interesting, the book is NOT canon, per Frank Herbert and Willis McNelly.

but Keith's shit is?

is that what he's saying here ???
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
trang

Post by trang »

yea I think so, it just refresh's the hate for his stuff doesn't it.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

SandRider wrote:
Kevin J. Anderson:
George, while some things in the Dune Encyclopedia may be interesting, the book is NOT canon, per Frank Herbert and Willis McNelly.

but Keith's shit is?

is that what he's saying here ???
One more reason to use mentally substitute "written by Frank" wherever you read "canon"

"the Dune Encyclopedia is not written by Frank, per Frank Herbert and Willis McNelly -> computes just fine
"Dune 7 is written by Frank, according to the Herbert Estate -> error.
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

God I hate The KJA. I haven't paid attention to Dune in a few years but recently decided to reread the entire series (Dune through CH:D). Because I was bored the other day I skimmed through copies of PoD and SoD at the library. PoD is even worse then I remembered (I had tried to read it several years ago and couldn't finish) and WoD is pointless.

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hope The KJA and the Other Guy never write another McDune novel again.
lotek

Post by lotek »

Does the bear-shaped meteor shit in the woods?
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

I've been away from the forum for a while but noticed Mentats of Dune is schedule for March 2014. Per the morons blog, they were done "writing" in mid July. I wonder if Tor is making them slow down the releases finally. Since we know it's not the hacks style to do any research and detailed writing that would take up any appreciable amount of time.
The name Atreides was also consciously chosen. It is the family name of Agamemnon. Says Herbert, "I wanted a sense of monumental aristocracy, but with tragedy hanging over them--and in our culture, Agamemnon personifies that."
Frank Herbert by Tim O'Reilly
http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/

Ghanima said. "We Atreides go back to Agamemnon..."
Distracted, Irulan asked: "Who's Agamemnon?"

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

WTF? A BG forgets the Titans?! :)
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Sardaukar Capt wrote:I've been away from the forum for a while but noticed Mentats of Dune is schedule for March 2014. Per the morons blog, they were done "writing" in mid July. I wonder if Tor is making them slow down the releases finally. Since we know it's not the hacks style to do any research and detailed writing that would take up any appreciable amount of time.
I had thought it was over, finally...
I bring nothing to the table.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Considering what I felt like they did with the first few chapters of Sisterhood, I imagine TOR might actually have someone that is exercising some editorial control. Perhaps sales aren't meeting standards.