Paul's Knife Duel With Jamis

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SadisticCynic

Re: Paul's Knife Duel With Jamis

Post by SadisticCynic »

Baraka wrote:I can't believe that my first post on Jacurutu is going to be about Fremen poop- but here it goes:

The books mention that the speed at which Fremen blood clots as an adaptation to the Arrakeen situation. Maybe they have adapted in the way that they poop- leaving almost no moisture in it when they pass it. (type 1 in the apt Bristol Stool Chart above). In that case, the actual mess in the shorts would be pretty minimal after the rocky dooks make their way to the thigh pads. + Maybe there's an easy access clean-out in the thigh pads so you don't have to carry it around with you until the next time you get out of your suit. The transport should in some way be handled by the pumping action provided by breathing that Kynes mentioned, but I can't see how. 'Could be that the thigh pads handling this are in the area of the hamstrings so that gravity does most of it and you just have to jockey it around by hand every time you 'see a man about a horse'. I don't see how the loin cloth figures in...
I think it is mentioned that Fremen have adapted to have longer large intestines, which are involved in the reabsorption of moisture from excrement. A longer intestine means more time to absorb all the water.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
tenfingersofdoom

Post by tenfingersofdoom »

When I go bodyboarding I wear a wetsuit, if I don't wear underwear underneath the Wetsuit I will chafe until I can't walk. It's just a necessity for body suits. They would have to wear something underneath a stillsuit, of course all that blood would contribute to their drinking water, so maybe not. ;)
Kevin J. Anderson is so stupid he thinks he invented The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen since he wrote the movie tie-in.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

The inside of stillsuits is "slick".
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
tenfingersofdoom

so's a wetsuit, the crotch area is just where most of the friction happens
Kevin J. Anderson is so stupid he thinks he invented The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen since he wrote the movie tie-in.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Are you boasting?

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
tenfingersofdoom

Dammit, no! this is serious! But anyway even if you're so skinny there are no thighs to rub together the simple act of walking creates friction, the fabric or Slick stillsuit moves back and forth from the action of putting one foot in front of another. A loincloth would have been a lifesaving necessity.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Did you read the first page of this thread? I don't mean to sound like i'm being a jerk, there's a lot of stuff there that's being taken for granted by thems that's read it.
tenfingersofdoom wrote:But anyway even if you're so skinny there are no thighs to rub together the simple act of walking creates friction, the fabric or Slick stillsuit moves back and forth from the action of putting one foot in front of another. A loincloth would have been a lifesaving necessity.
Omph answered this one with a word; Spicetalc!

These guys have developed a flexable, comfortable, waterproof, heat exchanging suit that renders excrement into potable water! I'm with you, friction can be a bitch but it takes a backseat to what this thing does. (Meaning that it stands to reason that they've solved the problem, can't catch the morning worm if it's hard to walk with crotch rot.) I expect that the porous, slick inner layer doesn't move against the skin and so allows the outer layers to bear the brunt of abrasion. Friction is/would still be an issue but the second reason the suit works is its ability to dissipate heat.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Jamis stepped into the ring, slipped out of his robe and tossed it to
someone in the crowd. He stood there in a cloudy gray slickness of stillsuit
that was patched and marked by tucks and gathers. For a moment, he bent with his
mouth to his shoulder, drinking from a catchpocket tube. Presently he
straightened, peeled off and detached the suit, handed it carefully into the
crowd. He stood waiting, clad in loincloth and some tight fabric over his feet,
a crysknife in his right hand.

~Dune
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
tenfingersofdoom

Thems that's reads its understoods chanilovers question about why fremen wear a loincloth underneath a stillsuit. I'm speaking from personal experience with a wetsuit. Two different things, yes but they both cover the body for protection. If frank ever wore a wetsuit before writing dune it would have been made of rubber instead of modern materials and I don't want to think of the hell that would have been. Unless they put them on after stripping naked.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

It's different stuff, I think you're comparing a model-T to a spaceship.
I think he put the loincloth on after, what else could he have detatched the suit from?
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

tenfingersofdoom wrote:Thems that's reads its understoods chanilovers question ...
My native language isn't English. Could you please rephrase this so I also understand what you wrote here. Thanks in advance.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
tenfingersofdoom

Just communicating with D Pope
tenfingersofdoom

"We that read chanilovers question". . . Are you using google translate, Do you know of anything better?
tenfingersofdoom

I may be trying to compare apples to oranges but frank tried to base a lot of his work on personal experience which lends itself to nit-picky practicality. I'm sorry for being so condescending.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

tenfingersofdoom wrote:. . . Are you using google translate, ...?
No dickhead, I actually learned how to write and read English.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
tenfingersofdoom

You said English wasn't your first language! I wasnt trying to be rude.
tenfingersofdoom

Serkanner, let me elaborate, I assumed something was translating for you, google sucks, I wanted to know of a better program, I should have said more. And assuming makes an ass out of people, take my advice and don't do it.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Serkanner wrote:
:lol: Another one in the running for post of the year!
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

tenfingersofdoom wrote:Serkanner, let me elaborate, I assumed something was translating for you, google sucks, I wanted to know of a better program, I should have said more. And assuming makes an ass out of people, take my advice and don't do it.
I made over 1800 posts here! Which one of them made you think I'm using translation software? You garbled the English language and you think I am using a translator? Get real!!! from what third world American shithole do you come from? Let me make it completely clear: what you wrote wasn't English ... besides myself I doubt most native English speakers understood your atrocity. THAT is why I asked to translate it. There is one important rule on this site ... use English. You broke that rule and your response pissed me off. I spend years learning the language as good as I can and a proud of the level I reached.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
tenfingersofdoom

Once again, I was mimicing d pope because he pissed me off. Get over it. This is a thread about fremen undies, and I don't spend my spare time reading all 1800 of your fucking posts. I'm sorry you feel insulted, maybe you shouldn't pretend to be an ESL student then preach about the use of English.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Serkanner wrote:
:laughing-rollingred:
That's the best laugh i've had this year!

Don't be too cross with him, I started it by telling him to read old posts on this subject. Not knowing how to do this without sounding like a jerk, I wanted to take a little sting out of the suggestion by writing, 'thems that's read it...' I'm sorry that my attempt at diplomacy has morphed into an insult to you, Serk, this end couldn't have been farther from my intention.
-Omphalos
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

tenfingersofdoom wrote:Once again, I was mimicing d pope because he pissed me off. Get over it. This is a thread about fremen undies, and I don't spend my spare time reading all 1800 of your fucking posts. I'm sorry you feel insulted, maybe you shouldn't pretend to be an ESL student then preach about the use of English.
Wow man! Jump to conclusions much? Tell me you're just trying to start a tussel and you really didn't think he used a translation program based on 'english isn't my first language.'
-Omphalos
tenfingersofdoom

I'm sorry too. I'm not trying to bash anyone who has done a good job learning one of the most difficult and contradictory languages out there. This got out of hand, my fault.
tenfingersofdoom

Oh-Kay liet mentions getting used to the rash. Loincloth goes on after disrobing. Thank you D Pope, I just got excited about sharing my experience of pissing in the ocean and skipped over 6 pages of poop and Jon snow. Seriously, nobody here has worn a wetsuit?
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

What I was saying had to do with how, as you pointed out, modern wetsuits are a vast improvement over old rubber ones -stands to reason that a stillsuit would be so far ahead of a wetsuit that the issue wouldn't come up.
-Omphalos